Princess ships in Alaska, can't decide! Help!

NitaO

First time sailing with Princess, want to sail the southbound cruise in July 2018. So all ports would be the same and times are the same but I see they have 4 ships that sail just different dates. Sailing with husband, DD 22 and DS 18. Anyone with good tips to help decide between the Island , Coral,Golden and Star. Thanks for help!!

The Island is a smaller ship than the others with ~2000 pax so if you want a more intimate cruising experience that is the one to consider. The Island and Coral are Panamax ships built specifically to fit through the Panama Canal before it was widened.

The Coral originally was a sister ship to the Island but now is a bit different in layout. It retained much of the older design and many like it better than the Island. Both physically are the same overall size and hold about the same number of pax. Of the two I definitely would go with the Coral over the Island.

The Golden and Star are sister ships in that they are very much alike with ~2600 pax. The bigger ships gives you more options. They both have an enclosed swimming pool on the Lido deck along with the outdoor pool. I like the Golden/Star better than the Coral/Island but it is just my opinion.

Look at the deck layout of the ship you are interested in and see what works best for you.

The Coral was last updated in January 2016. The Island is scheduled for updating in November 2017 and was significantly remodeled in 2015. The Golden was updated in April 2015 and will be redone in March next year. The Star is scheduled for drydock the end of this year.

Edited by satxdiver

I like the southbound cruise that starts in Alaska so you can enjoy a few days to a week there before your cruise. It is so beautiful and there is so much to see and do in Alaska. After a cruise I'm always ready to go home. So I prefer my excursions before, not after. :)

Regarding ships, well, I like Emerald and Ruby because they have SHARE by Curtis Stone's restaurant. A lot of people love it or hate it, but we love it. I like the Star. I've heard bad things about the Island, so that would be my last ship to book (even though we booked Panama canal on the Island as a future cruise), the Grand is my least favorite of Princess's fleet because of the spa (no public showers to use there) and its a little run down, but we cruise it the most since it sails out of SF. In the end, I am of the belief that you can never have a bad cruise. So, whichever southbound cruise worked best with my schedule, regardless of which Princess ship, I would sail on it. :) Enjoy the cruise you book!

Another vote for Coral Princess. Here's why: fewer passengers, so less crowding and easier on/off; because of Panamax design the ship is very long and has a real promenade deck which provides lots of rail space for the glacier viewing days, plus she has the 'secret' balconies fore and aft for even more viewing space; in addition to the main theater she also has the Universe Lounge with the special On the Bayou show [this space was turned into cabins on Island, along with the aft viewing balconies -- adding more passengers while reducing public space -- that's why Island is now last on everybody's list of Princess ships].

Coral Coral Coral! We were on her a second time last month and she's by far our favorite ship for a multitude of reasons as mentioned above.

Our favorite things are the full Promenade deck and the relatively "undiscovered" fore and aft balconies on Caribe deck.

Looking at sailing on Coral again through the Canal next year.

Our first choice, for any cruise, is the Coral. We like the size of the ship. the promenade deck, open deck space, and smaller passenger load.

The one thing we did like about the Golden in Alaska was Skywalkers during the day. We always go in September, when it tends to be cooler and more rain and not many people up there. It's usually a nice, quiet place to go and watch the scenery go by.

The Coral and Island are slightly smaller in capacity and lack a true nightclub. Therefore for the sake of your kids, I vote Golden or Star. I don't usually get bored on ships but found the Island slightly dull in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know if you were on the Island after the aft re-model was done, but, if so, you can't compare the Coral to the Island. We never felt bored when we were on the Coral. It still has the Universe Lounge in the back.

I don't know if you were on the Island after the aft re-model was done, but, if so, you can't compare the Coral to the Island. We never felt bored when we were on the Coral. It still has the Universe Lounge in the back.

We sailed on the Island before the refurb, so it was identical to the Coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From a sailor's point of view, the Golden and the Star are both more stable than the Coral/ Island. The Coral was not built for rough waters, so it works well in the inside passage and the Panama Canal. When you hit the open Gulf of Alaska, you will notice that a long, skinny ship is very tippy. Originally, Princess had contracted four of these Pana-max ships. They were not pleased, and they cancelled the order for the last two in favor of a more stable design. You can have a very nice cruise on any Princess ship, but if you are prone to sea sicknesses, I would recommend the Golden.

Coral does have an enclosed pool.

The Golden and Star are sister ships in that they are very much alike with ~2600 pax. The bigger ships gives you more options. They both have an enclosed swimming pool on the Lido deck along with the outdoor pool. I like the Golden/Star better than the Coral/Island but it is just my opinion. .

So do both Coral and Golden/Star have enclosed pools?