Live from Havana on Marina

slw207693

Namastefl-We did the Hemingway in Havana tour which had a bit of walking on hills and uneven surfaces and the Parisien Show at the Hotel National - very little walking. We privately booked a vintage convertible with driver and an English speaking guide for three hours which was great. You can tell the guide what you want to see and control exactly how much walking you want to do, Enjoy your cruise!

Namastefl-We did the Hemingway in Havana tour which had a bit of walking on hills and uneven surfaces and the Parisien Show at the Hotel National - very little walking. We privately booked a vintage convertible with driver and an English speaking guide for three hours which was great. You can tell the guide what you want to see and control exactly how much walking you want to do, Enjoy your cruise!

Did you book your private car tour when you arrived or prior to departure from the states..I seem to have problem finding tour company in Cuba that can answer my questions..anyone have someone I can do a group with??

Jancruz1

No Noro virus or other health issues? We are on a transatlantic on 4/10/2017 from Miami to Lisbon, so curiosity is killing me, Carol C.

I hope you have not jinxed then by mentioning the "n" word :eek:

Even the CDC has only 1 report on Princess for this season compared to 2016

I have an entirely different question, but would love to get a response from anyone presently on "Marina". Is the ship presently healthy? No Noro virus or other health issues? We are on a transatlantic on 4/10/2017 from Miami to Lisbon, so curiosity is killing me, Carol C.

Bad word!! Bad word!! We were on one of the Riviera cruises last year that had it and have no desire EVER be on another one. Even the thought of it makes us cringe.

Everyone is healthy and happy, enjoying beautiful weather in the Caribbean.

Jan - we booked in advance with Old Car Tours. Very prompt and clear with communications. I would think Rodrigo could provide you with several cars for your group. We had requested a '56 Red Ford Fairlaine convertible but old cars can breakdown and we ended up with a '46 version instead - very cool We were very happy with the service and highly recommend them.

Jan - we booked in advance with Old Car Tours. Very prompt and clear with communications. I would think Rodrigo could provide you with several cars for your group. We had requested a '56 Red Ford Fairlaine convertible but old cars can breakdown and we ended up with a '46 version instead - very cool We were very happy with the service and highly recommend them.

Thanks, I will contact them..

Jancruz1

"I have an entirely different question, but would love to get a response from anyone presently on "Marina". Is the ship presently healthy? No Noro virus or other health issues? We are on a transatlantic on 4/10/2017 from Miami to Lisbon, so curiosity is killing me, Carol C.

I am presently on the Marina en route to Miami after the March 21 sailing including 2 days in Havana. There is not a hint of the Noro virus. There seem to be no health issues, such as colds or chest problems, either. Great trip, great weather and great times. Enjoy your cruise on the transatlantic. I have always wanted to try that but can't convince the DH.

"I have an entirely different question, but would love to get a response from anyone presently on "Marina". Is the ship presently healthy? No Noro virus or other health issues? We are on a transatlantic on 4/10/2017 from Miami to Lisbon, so curiosity is killing me, Carol C.

I am presently on the Marina en route to Miami after the March 21 sailing including 2 days in Havana. There is not a hint of the Noro virus. There seem to be no health issues, such as colds or chest problems, either. Great trip, great weather and great times. Enjoy your cruise on the transatlantic. I have always wanted to try that but can't convince the DH.

Was the ship's internet available while you were in the port of Havana for 2 days? If so, was it limited in any way?

TIA

Yes the ships internet was available while in Havana. I even used FaceTime in the plaza across from the terminal to talk and see grandson back in the US. (I added AT&T international plan before I left US). Several Cuban children were very curious about being able to see little on on the phone and he babbling away to them! Hardly anyone in Cuba had cell phone so this must have been a real novelty for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was the ship's internet available while you were in the port of Havana for 2 days? If so, was it limited in any way?

TIA

It was available in Havana on the ship but very spotty. As a matter of fact, internet service was slow or down most of the days of the cruise, in my experience. I have both an IPhone and a Samsung and neither was reliable on "holding" the signal for any length of time--"thrown off" and have to restart multiple times. It actually became kind of relaxing not to keep checking emails, etc. I think I have troglodyte genes in my body that became reactivated on this wonderful cruise.

Lovely time in Havana, Booked private tours through recommendation on trip advisor and tours by locals. Can be too much walking touring old Havana so have to be sure guide understands needs ahead of time. Our guide was young and very professional but seemed to be unsure of what to do when we asked him to modify what was planned when one in our tour had walking issues. Also be sure that you get to see all the sites since there were many areas we missed due to extensive time walking central Havana. Old cars are great just confirm they can hold four adults and have four doors if needed, some had the benchseats that you pull back to get to the back seat tough for some in our group to manage. Well worth doing

• 3 weeks later...

No air pollution seen or felt on the two b2b's we did recently. Even the old cars didn't seem to generate exhaust fumes. Husband suffers from allergies and takes a daily clairitin tablet during spring and had no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

we booked in advance with Old Car Tours. Very prompt and clear with communications. I would think Rodrigo could provide you with several cars for your group.

Thanks for posting, what a great web site for Old Cars Tours. The pricing seems good---We booked a 7 day cruise of Cuba and will be using that company thanks to you. We've been booking Regent for a change, but Oceania has a better Cuba cruise-so we'll be back on "O" again. One question will they pick you up at the ship?

Rick

Rick - usually they can pick you up right across from the pier. A few days before we arrived Rodrigo emailed us that the police were not letting them wait there so he told us about a spot 1/2 block away in front of the Orthodox Church. Very easy. Enjoy.

Any recommendations on which cigar factory to visit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go to the Partagas factory on Calle Industrial, in Havana. When I was there last year they were producing all the major bands: Cohiba, Montcristo etc. The official cigar store in the building is the best place in town to buy. Other venues often sell fakes. Note: The building is not air conditioned and has no elevator. Can get very hot most days.

Rick - usually they can pick you up right across from the pier. A few days before we arrived Rodrigo emailed us that the police were not letting them wait there so he told us about a spot 1/2 block away in front of the Orthodox Church. Very easy. Enjoy.

Queen of DaNile-----Thanks again, I wrote them last night and Rodrigo got back to us this morning. Everything I wanted and he told we'd meet at the church. Thanks again very good information from you., Rick