Wine Tasting

ss70chev

I would love to know more about the wine tasting on the ship. My husband does not like wine so I have never tried this before. The time I am traveling with my daughter and son-in-law so I want to experience this on the ship. Do they have food pairings?

Most wine tastings are just that, wine, a few small pieces of cheese and a strawberry or two.

There is the Navigator Wine Tasting and the fancier one, the name of which I can't remember. It is better by far.

Pricing has been $15 and $35 respectively. We get the first complimentary as 5 stars; we see the second one as an inexpensive shorex!

If you get a really good cellermaster, it can be an informative experience.

Thet do have and opportunity for food pairings in the way of dinner. Usually either a Cellar Master Dinner or a Sommelier Dinner or some other name. I think only on cruises 10 days or more but I could be wrong.

They are special dinners with nice wines and usually very good food and worth going to if you are interested.

The wine tastings can be fun - the Cellar Master makes all the difference.

Thet do have and opportunity for food pairings in the way of dinner. Usually either a Cellar Master Dinner or a Sommelier Dinner or some other name. I think only on cruises 10 days or more but I could be wrong.

They are special dinners with nice wines and usually very good food and worth going to if you are interested.

The wine tastings can be fun - the Cellar Master makes all the difference.

Agree!

Cellermasters: Ingo comes to mind, among others!

We have enjoyed the wine tastings and discovered some new wines we like. Last year we finally tried the cellar master dinner and while costly it was wonderful. The wine tasting is a good way to meet others as they seat you at large tables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There's also usually a wine and snack offering each day as sort of a happy hour thing. It's usually in the Pinnacle Grill Bar, but might be somewhere else on the smaller ships. It's not a wine tasting per se, but there's usually a different wine and small plate pairing each day.

On a one week cruise in June on Volendam there were three wine tastings, the usual Navigator and Admiral tastings, and a third in the atrium, an "International Wine Tasting". This time it was just crackers and cheeses with about 8 or ten different wines, but we had a nice time and were able to chat with the Cellar Master, Fernando, as we just wandered around and tasted wines on tables spaced around the Atrium. I don't remember what it cost. On Westerdam and Maasdam last year there were also more than two wine tastings, but they were longer cruises.

We stopped going to the wine tastings even though the Navigator's one is free for us.

We have had some pretty bad people doing it. There was a time when we tasted 5 different wines. The last ones we went to -- same old wines -- and down to 4.

Navigator's is $15 plus 15% gratuity. The Premium Wine tasting which is usually held in the Pinnacle Grill is $35 plus 15% gratuity.

For a little over a year, the ships having been trying out the Sip and Savor idea. It is held at 5 PM. There is usually one wine and an appetizer. Vista and Signature class ships have it in the Pinnacle Bar -- usually $4 or $5 plus 15% gratuity. On the S and R class ships it was held in the Wajang Theater.

While I do drink wine on occasion, I really no nothing about it. I wish I knew more. I wish I had a dependable favorite and I could remember its name. One thing I am very curious about is something I have seen on board. A man or women orders a bottle of wine, The wine steward brings the customer the bottle of wine and pours say a third or fourth of a glass. The customer sips or smells the sample and nods in approval. The Wine steward fills the glass and leaves. Everything at this point is cool. What happens if the customer does not like the wine, does he say so or does he just nod in approval. If he does not like the wine is he still responsible to pay for the whole bottle? I would think so but I really don't know so. What would the wine steward do with the unfinished bottle he can't resell it. Please enlighten me on this strange custom.

While I do drink wine on occasion, I really no nothing about it. I wish I knew more. I wish I had a dependable favorite and I could remember its name. One thing I am very curious about is something I have seen on board. A man or women orders a bottle of wine, The wine steward brings the customer the bottle of wine and pours say a third or fourth of a glass. The customer sips or smells the sample and nods in approval. The Wine steward fills the glass and leaves. Everything at this point is cool. What happens if the customer does not like the wine, does he say so or does he just nod in approval. If he does not like the wine is he still responsible to pay for the whole bottle? I would think so but I really don't know so. What would the wine steward do with the unfinished bottle he can't resell it. Please enlighten me on this strange custom.

Realistically they are meant to be checking to ensure the wine is neither "corked" nor vinegar, not if they like it. That's the limit of what I know. So basically, check to make sure it hasn't gone bad. If it has gone off, no they shouldn't have to pay for it.

We stopped going to the wine tastings even though the Navigator's one is free for us.

We have had some pretty bad people doing it. There was a time when we tasted 5 different wines. The last ones we went to -- same old wines -- and down to 4.

Navigator's is $15 plus 15% gratuity. The Premium Wine tasting which is usually held in the Pinnacle Grill is $35 plus 15% gratuity.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Agree with the above. For the even more experienced... You should swirl that taste of wine - which releases the fragrance- before tasting. We have sent bottles back-generally the sommelier will smell and or taste to confirm the problem

As others have said, this practice is meant to ensure that the wine is not spoiled. You are not deciding if you like it - that is immaterial. To illustrate, here is a true story from a cruise years ago.

We were seated for dinner at a six top fixed dining table with four other very pretentious folks who appeared to have more money than brains. I ordered our usual bottle and the wine steward poured the sample. I tasted it and it was spoiled. When I told the steward, he immediately called over the head sommelier who also sampled the wine using his little metal pan carried on a chain around his neck - that is what it is for. He agreed that the wine was spoiled and immediately whisked away the bottle and used glass. A new bottle appeared and all was well. The next evening, our uppity tablemates ordered a bottle of wine. He tasted it and immediately declared it was bad. The head sommelier was called, tasted the wine and said it was fine. Our tablemates sat there in shame having tried to be as "sophisticated" as us and failing miserably. Served them right.

When the wine tastes funny, say so. The head sommelier will make the decision if it is spoiled or not. Just treat it as a learning experience if he says it is OK. Otherwise, he will definitely replace the wine at no cost. By the way, there could be as many as 10% of bottles are spoiled, but almost never the screw tops.

Vista and Signature class ships have it in the Pinnacle Bar -- usually $4 or $5 plus 15% gratuity. On the S and R class ships it was held in the Wajang Theater.

On the S- & R- class ships the Sip & Savor is held outside the Wajang Theatre, not in there. It is held in the space where the old coffee bar used to be, before Explorations Café took over that role, and when coffee was free.

Mass is usually being celebrated in the Wajang Theatre at that time (where wine is put to a different purpose. ;))

On a one week cruise in June on Volendam there were three wine tastings, the usual Navigator and Admiral tastings, and a third in the atrium, an "International Wine Tasting". This time it was just crackers and cheeses with about 8 or ten different wines, but we had a nice time and were able to chat with the Cellar Master, Fernando, as we just wandered around and tasted wines on tables spaced around the Atrium. I don't remember what it cost. On Westerdam and Maasdam last year there were also more than two wine tastings, but they were longer cruises.

We had the "International Wine Tasting" on the Statendam last spring. Lots of fun, and I was happy to give our wine steward credit by buying through him.

Fernando is a Great Cellar Master. The guy on our Westerdam cruise in the spring was not. I would not have paid for a meal hosted by him. He had as much charm as a snake at a garden party. He was such a "nothing" I can't recall his name.

Thank you very much for your reply concerning the wine tasting at the table.

As I stated I know next to nothing about wine. To me the practice seemed a little strange I would never imagined such I high percentage of bottles are indeed bad. I would placed the odd of less than one in a hundred. I now understand what is going on and makes the procedure perfectly logical. I am going to check with my sister who is well versed in wine for the names of a couple of white or rose colored wines which sell for around $20 bucks a bottle and don't taste like kerosene and which would probably be available on the ship. I do enjoy a good glass of wine.

Edited by patrick65
spelling

Wow was I out of touch with reality. A good bottle of wine cost considerably more than $20.00 on ship. Perhaps i will order a glass of house wine and see if I like it. If I don.t I will order a mixed drink or a good beer. I know I like many of those.

Fernando is a Great Cellar Master. The guy on our Westerdam cruise in the spring was not. I would not have paid for a meal hosted by him. He had as much charm as a snake at a garden party. He was such a "nothing" I can't recall his name.

You obviously had a different guy than we did, on the same cruise.:rolleyes: Or are you confusing him with someone else? He was excellent, and personality plus.

His name was INGO and IMO he was a fabulous Cellar Master.

He had a sense of humour, mingled with the guests and even did a wine tasting for our roll call which those that attended enjoyed very much.

Like everything, it's all subjective, but I believe Ingo had a lot of fans.

We went to both meals Cellar Master/Whatever and Chef's Table and they were superb as were the wines and Ingo.

JMO though and of course it's all subjective :)

His name was Ingo and he was one of the best I have seen.

We were on that Westerdam cruise and he did a private wine tasting for the Sailaway Gang for those who wished to attend. He had everyone in stitches with his wit and charming comedy. I know I laughed until tears came.

We were sorry to see the session come to an end and would hope to be lucky enough to encounter Ingo on another cruise.

We have enjoyed wine tastings on all the ships we've been on. It must be a difficult job to be the Cellar Master on a cruise ship; everyone knows who you are and you don't know who any of the passengers are, at least at first. We've found if we make an effort to get to know the CM, and he remembers who you are (!:D), it can be really entertaining, as Ingo was on Westerdam. At first though, the CM can seem rather shy or stand-offish. We had Miguel on the Maasdam last year, who started out seeming very quiet and shy, but went great lengths to find interesting Spanish and Italian wines for different tastings (I think he absolutely shot his budget!), and we would love to sail with him again. Unfortunately, though, I believe he has left HAL.

On the S- & R- class ships the Sip & Savor is held outside the Wajang Theatre, not in there. It is held in the space where the old coffee bar used to be, before Explorations Café took over that role, and when coffee was free.

Mass is usually being celebrated in the Wajang Theatre at that time (where wine is put to a different purpose. ;))

A couple of years ago when we were on the Maasdam and HAL was trying out this new concept, it was held in the Wajang theater -- not outside.