Is Smart Casual a thing of the past?

schmeed

We are sailing on Liberty on 3/26 (7 nights) and I was looking through previous cruise compasses for information. There are 2 formal nights and the remainder are listed as casual.

In the past, 7 night cruises typically had 2 formal, 2 casual (first night, last night) and the remainder were smart casual.

Have those gone by the wayside? If so, I just see a continuing trend to allowing more shorts and super casual attire in the MDR. Pretty soon, people will be wearing bathing suits, tank tops and flip flops.

If this is the trend, just send everyone to the Windjammer for dinner. :(

Casual, smart casual, business casual, dressy casual...all casual but difined differently by different cruise lines and different people..

The first one might allow shorts and tees and flops. All the others would be similar in not permitting shorts, tees, flops. "Formal" is now more "elegant"/smart casual. Not a rerun of your prom or wedding attire.

I see Smart Casual less and less, and even when I do see it suggested, I don't see much difference in the actual attire worn.

Kind of a bummer. For my family, part of the fun of a cruise is dressing up and enjoying the romanticism of the vacation. I understand we can still do that, AND WE WILL, but it kind of takes away from it a little when people are dressed like bums around us. :)

I guess we need to switch to Queen Mary TA.

We are sailing on Liberty on 3/26 (7 nights) and I was looking through previous cruise compasses for information. There are 2 formal nights and the remainder are listed as casual.

In the past, 7 night cruises typically had 2 formal, 2 casual (first night, last night) and the remainder were smart casual.

Have those gone by the wayside? If so, I just see a continuing trend to allowing more shorts and super casual attire in the MDR. Pretty soon, people will be wearing bathing suits, tank tops and flip flops.

If this is the trend, just send everyone to the Windjammer for dinner. :(

Thanks, but those of us who actually have dinner in the Windjammer have noticed a trend for it to be becoming more and more crowded for dinner than it used to be. We don't need the MDR sending more people up there.;)

I'm going on Anthem in a week. On most nights, I tend to wear a sport coat and shirt but no tie, a suit on Formal nights. I know I'll be dressed more than is required but I feel that dressing up seems to promote better service. If I dressed like I was going to Chipotle's or Wendy's, then I'd expect the service of such.

I seem to read about many comments complaining about reduction in service in the MDR and I think it correlates with a reduction in dress attire.

Just my 2 cents

dp

I'm going on Anthem in a week. On most nights, I tend to wear a sport coat and shirt but no tie, a suit on Formal nights. I know I'll be dressed more than is required but I feel that dressing up seems to promote better service. If I dressed like I was going to Chipotle's or Wendy's, then I'd expect the service of such.

I seem to read about many comments complaining about reduction in service in the MDR and I think it correlates with a reduction in dress attire.

Just my 2 cents

dp

I agree wholeheartedly. Your appearance is a big factor in how you are treated/served. Plus, it's just part of the fun. :)

I'm sorry. But if I can go to a four star steak house in my area and dine in the same room as men wearing jeans and shorts, and women dressed equally casually then I don't see any reason why some people have a cat at the idea of seeing shorts in the MDR. Especially when the quality of the food and service is on par with a typical family restaurant chain.

If you are so sensitive that having someone in shorts sitting across the room will ruin or materially take away from you "dining experience" then you, imho, need to either get help or book on a luxury line.

Just my 2 cents

dp

I come from the opposite direction. If you are going to give me Chili's quality food and slow service why, in the name of all that is holy, would I need or want to dress in anything other than casual attire?

I come from the opposite direction. If you are going to give me Chili's quality food and slow service why, in the name of all that is holy, would I need or want to dress in anything other than casual attire?

What you say is also very true. But at least, I am doing my part and keeping my end of the bargain. The last cruise I was on (Liberty), I was kind of worried before we boarded of many of the negative comments about quality of the food,Turns out, I was quite happy and content with what was offered. So until such a time as I personally am subjected to the kind of slosh that is apparently being served according to some cruisers, I'll continue to expect quality food and service and offer the respect it deserves by dressing accordingly. What other want to do is entirely up to them and it does not really bother me. I'm just voicing what I do and expect.

dp

I'm sorry. But if I can go to a four star steak house in my area and dine in the same room as men wearing jeans and shorts, and women dressed equally casually then I don't see any reason why some people have a cat at the idea of seeing shorts in the MDR. Especially when the quality of the food and service is on par with a typical family restaurant chain.

If you are so sensitive that having someone in shorts sitting across the room will ruin or materially take away from you "dining experience" then you, imho, need to either get help or book on a luxury line.

Amen to this whole post! I don't personally wear shorts to dinner, but I do wear jeans and I don't give a fig what anyone else wears! As you say, it's not a luxury line. You'd think the Dreamworks characters walking around would clue people in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sailed a 'luxury line' and they don't have formal nights. Most times people were dressed nicely but there were times when we saw some who where way too casual. We dress as we want, always very smart/elegant, if the compass says formal, we wear formal. Whilst I don't really want to eat next to people who look as if they have just come in from doing the garden it won't make me come down to their level.

On another note I am almost always pleased with the standard of food in the dining room and to compare it to low quality restaurants is a bit of an insult to the chefs and staff who work hard to make sure I enjoy the experience. In my opinion.

Bums? Smart Casual to me means "Be smart & casual." When you're cruising the Caribbean, the smart thing is to dress comfortable to the climate and do so with a style & look sharp. I don't believe wearing a Coat, Tie, & long sleeve shirt when the humidity is raging high, hot, & humid is the smart thing to do.

But each their own. Wear what you wish. Enjoy your time with your family instead of concerning yourself about how others are dressed.

Well I've also seen the variety of dress, no matter what the dress code is suggested. SO we dress smart casual every night. On formal night DH will put a blazer on. I just wear my "smartest" casual attire on formal night! It has worked fine for us for a couple of years. Gone are the Tux's and long dresses. We cruise more than most and less than some so packing is a lot easier also without the Tuxedo.

As some have said, maybe you should look at a more luxurious cruise line if things like this are that important to you. You just might not be Royal Caribbean's target demographic anymore. It's obvious with their new ships and how they have made changes to the cruise experience, that they are no longer shooting for the nostalgia of yesteryear and the "golden age" of cruising.

Just my 2 cents

dp

IMO, having cruised through the years, the reduction in dress is a factor of the following:

-Reduction in food quality over the years (I felt stupid wearing a tux one night eating "filet of beef, aka roast beef)

-Reduction in service (overall/on average) over the years (due to massive increase in waiters, diluting talent)

-Elimination of dress code enforcement

-"My time" dining- people going in and out taking away the formality of it.

I've personally never noticed any difference in service by the way I dressed- formal vs. casual night. You know on night one how your wait staff will perform every night. The idea was to push people to specialty dining. Some people will bite, some will say it is not worth it (dining room) and go to the Windjammer.

Never expected the vitriol from some of the people in this thread. I guess it's where society is these days. "I do what I want." To hell with your rules.

Well, nobody is breaking the rules if the suggested dress code is casual. And no offense, but you did imply that anyone that wasn't dressed to you and your families taste were then similar to bums...

I do disagree as well that you are treated/served better if you are dressed better-I whole heartedly believe that you are treated/served better or worse based on one's attitude. I literally have never been offended by what anyone is wearing in the dining room, but I have been absolutely appalled by the way some people speak to the staff. But that's an entirely different thread....

As a caveat-I'm a female and it is MUCH easier for me to throw on a dress and some strappy heels then it is for my husband to put on a suit. He has worn a suit on formal nights on each cruise so far....I'm not sure if he will on this upcoming trip or not. Cruising as a whole has become much more casual over the years which I do enjoy, although what I wear hasn't actually changed simply because I dress for myself...and maybe my husband as well ;)