Does O Do A Lot Of Last Minute Upgrades

kitty9

We've been following an upcoming cruise on Marina, waiting to see if there would be any kind of price reduction, knowing that this cruise is selling very poorly. Yesterday, there were 5 Oceania suites available, and now they've all been booked, within 90 minutes. Does O do a lot of last minute upgrades?

Few upgrades but it's possible these were upsells. An upgrade doesn't cost you anything, an upsell does.

+1

And the Internet Advertising appears to be targeted to filling those slow selling trips.

Some of their pop up ads are amazingly specific.

FWIW, I KNOW that they go to great pains to make price reductions, and the reasons for them indecipherable to the rest of us.

We were scheduled on a March Oceania Riviera cruise that was sold out. Today, we received an email offering us a no charge upgrade to an Oceania suite if we switched to the 2/25 Marina cruise. We jumped at this as, I'm sure, others did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've been following an upcoming cruise on Marina, waiting to see if there would be any kind of price reduction, knowing that this cruise is selling very poorly. Yesterday, there were 5 Oceania suites available, and now they've all been booked, within 90 minutes. Does O do a lot of last minute upgrades?

I have never checked cabin availability after we've booked. That said, I am very surprised that five OC suites would sell in one day (nevermind monitoring and seeing them fill in 90 minutes).

I suspect as others have replied that this could be the result of a targeted upsell offer especially if that upcoming cruise is soon to depart. I doubt if there is general price drop from O

I have never checked cabin availability after we've booked. That said, I am very surprised that five OC suites would sell in one day (nevermind monitoring and seeing them fill in 90 minutes).

I suspect as others have replied that this could be the result of a targeted upsell offer especially if that upcoming cruise is soon to depart. I doubt if there is general price drop from O

I think it very well may be a combination of move over offers - see post #4 above - and attractive upsells on the same cruise.

If the offer is good, a lot of people would be tempted to go for the OC and the offer gets filled fast :)

Actually I did read it but wasn't sure about post #4. I just might have to disable my browser's pop-up blocker as I'm not seeing those 'Internet ads'. Or maybe not, I wouldn't want to see my cruises at a much cheaper price and worse, all my vacation time is already booked. Well I could probably squeeze out a little bit more :)

Our first Marina cruise in 2011 was the result of an offer to move over from an Alaska cruise to a Med cruise, with an upgrade from a PH to a VS with additional OBC, of which we already had an obscene amount. We jumped even though it affected our already booked airfare to Alaska. It didn't hurt too much since I was able to switch the flights to/from Vancouver to flights to/from LA, which allowed me to visit my mother shortly before her death.

We'd been wanting to try Marina anyway -- she was still new -- and switching from a PH on Regatta to a VS on Marina seemed like a no-brainer to us.

And it was a great itinerary for us since many of the ports were new ones.

It happens ... And if you can make the switch (most often WE have not been able to for various reasons) it can be well worth it.

Mura

Been getting offers for quite a while. We are not taking them as we like our itinerary and the one I got yesterday was

"Choose an Alternate Voyage and

Get a FREE Upgrade to PENTHOUSE SUITE

-Plus-

$1,258.00 CASH BACK!"

So, I am not surprised that some cabins get filled quickly. We didn't accept but other do.

• 3 weeks later...
I guess you probably don't get these offers if you book the cheap seats, eh?

That is not true.

Offers go to categories that are "overbooked" and they need to move some people up or down to accommodate waitlists and GTY in those categories - regardless of category.

I guess you probably don't get these offers if you book the cheap seats, eh?

As Paul stated you absolutely do. On a Dec Riviera trip I had an inside guarantee booked and by the time we sailed had been upsold to a Veranda for a very reasonable price.

As Paul stated you absolutely do. On a Dec Riviera trip I had an inside guarantee booked and by the time we sailed had been upsold to a Veranda for a very reasonable price.

I believe SusieV asked that question e about the "cash back" aspect of the Move Off offer referenced in Post 9, rather than the offer of an Upsell.

I believe SusieV asked that question e about the "cash back" aspect of the Move Off offer referenced in Post 9, rather than the offer of an Upsell.

Perhaps, but since she didn't quote anyone in particular it's hard to tell. Upsells and move over offers both are being discussed here. She might have been referencing either, or both, or the post right before hers as you assumed.

ORV, would you mind telling what the difference in price was between the Inside and Verandah? Obviously you may not wish to do so-is there a private message option on the forum?

I wish there was a private message here but there's not. I've been asked to not specifically discuss prices on CC, so I really can't say. But the upsells are usually a huge savings over the original price.

May I just say that, although well intentioned, many of these questions about pricing are akin to asking, "Will there be street parking available, when I arrive at your office?".

There are so many variables at work that a meaningful response is literally impossible.

Upsells, downsells & move over offers can vary from cruise to cruise & also the time the offer is made

The closer to sailing the sweeter the deal

sometimes there is no deal if they do not need you cabin Cat

all subjective

If you get a good offer & you like the deal ..go for it

I think others have made this clear but even if he could have answered with specific numbers, it would not necessarily be comparable to other offers.

We took a downsell for the first and probably last time in June for our Nautica cruise to Norway. The money they offered for us to go from a PH to a B was just too enticing. And although our memories of the veranda cabins weren't that positive, indeed we were quite happy in the smaller cabin ... especially since the refund we got pretty much paid for our VS on Sirena a few months later.

But you really cannot make a rule that because Passenger "A" got this much (whether up or down), that is what it would cost us on THIS cruise.

If you like the offer, as previous posters have said, take it. But don't wait! They disappear quickly.

When we took the downsell offer my husband had immediate regrets and tried to back out but the PH was already gone ...

That didn't affect our enjoyment of the cruise.

Mura

• 2 weeks later...