NCL Sun Cabin Location ?? Alaska Cruise

squeeky336

we are sailing on the NCL Sun on June 15.. It is Southbound fro Seward to Vancouver. We have a really good balcony cabin. It is a cat BA.. (Mid-ship baloney on deck 9) one deck of cabins above and cabins below.. So it is a prime cabin location unless you are going in a suite for this ship..

But.. it is on the starboard side away from the land going south. This cruise is going to view Hubbard Glacier. I would really like to do that from my balcony instead of the public areas. I can change to a port side cabin,but it wold be one deck below in the aft area of the ship.. I dont mind the aft.. call me weird but I like the slight rocking of the ship in fact. It rocks me to sleep at night.

But this cabin on deck 8 is right over the Spinnaker Lounge which looks like it is a dancing club. SO it might be loud at night.

My questions is this.. I am willing to tolerate the noise if I can see the glacier from my balcony.. But I was also told that the Captain turns the ship when glacier viewing. will this change be worth it? If i can see the glacier from the balcony that I am already in i will keep it. But if I can't I want to change, even in a lesser room..

Please advise.. any experienced Alaska cruise info is appreciated,

thank you

michelle ;)

Edited by squeeky336

The best glacier viewing will always be from the open decks. Even with a balcony cabin you will want to head outside for awhile, or as long as you can tolerate the cold. But all the time the ship spends entering, transiting and exiting Yakutat Bay (where Hubbard Glacier sits) there will be plenty of scenery visible from balconies on both sides of the ship. Most of the remaining time at sea will be too far away from land to see anything. Unfortunately very, very few ships sail the true Inside Passage between Vancouver Island and mainland British Columbia anymore, which has rendered the question of port v. starboard moot.

Edited by fishywood

The captain will sail slowly into the fjord for Hubbard glacier. He will turn the ship with one side toward the glacier for maybe half and hour, then rotate so that the other side it toward the glacier. but the problem is that what most people are looking for is wildlife and calving of the glacier. The glacier doesn't give warning of calving - you have to be watching to see it. It happens many times, but the best ones, or most of them, might happen when your side of the ship is facing away from the glacier. So glacier watching is best done from a position where you can move back and forth from side to side.

From Seward to Icy Strait you will be crossing the Gulf of Alaska, and too far from land to see anything. You will have scenery both sides until you leave Ketchikan. You won't really have much scenery either side until you enter the Inside Passage approaching Vancouver. If you don't believe me, check out the bridge cams of Princess here:

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/crown/crown1.php

Crown, Coral, Star, Grand and Golden Princesses are all in the area now and you can see there is nothing to be seen. EM

The captain will sail slowly into the fjord for Hubbard glacier. He will turn the ship with one side toward the glacier for maybe half and hour, then rotate so that the other side it toward the glacier. but the problem is that what most people are looking for is wildlife and calving of the glacier. The glacier doesn't give warning of calving - you have to be watching to see it. It happens many times, but the best ones, or most of them, might happen when your side of the ship is facing away from the glacier. So glacier watching is best done from a position where you can move back and forth from side to side.

From Seward to Icy Strait you will be crossing the Gulf of Alaska, and too far from land to see anything. You will have scenery both sides until you leave Ketchikan. You won't really have much scenery either side until you enter the Inside Passage approaching Vancouver. If you don't believe me, check out the bridge cams of Princess here:

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/crown/crown1.php

Crown, Coral, Star, Grand and Golden Princesses are all in the area now and you can see there is nothing to be seen. EM

I certainly believe you.. I can see you have done many cruises.. Can you tell me why so many ppl want to be on the POrt side then if the views are the same? That side sold out first.. I would like to seea little from my balocny at least.. SO does the ship just STOP at Hubbard Glacier? Then turn around for the other side of this ship? I take it that it is very cold there? I was thinking i would like to curl up with a blanket on my balcony.

What did you mean by the ship does not do the inner passage as they used to?

I take it you are telling to me just keep the better cabin that I have?

Michelle

So glacier watching is best done from a position where you can move back and forth from side to side..

Agreed.

I understand the appeal of your private balcony and indeed, it may suffice for a while, but this is a potential once-in-a-lifetime cruise to Alaska and you will want to get as much from the experience as possible. This means being up on deck, outside, where you can move around and get sweeping views of the entire area, plus be able to hear and then see the calving (you will hear it first and then see it, as the sound reaches your ears before you see the glacier calve).

I would ask that you don't over think this. You have a balcony, that's great, just go with it and be prepared to move to a different location on the ship if you aren't happy. The upper decks will be busy but no one stays in the same place for hours and hours. There will be open spots at the railings from time to time. :)

My concern, actually, is the night club you mentioned. Personally, we always book a balcony which is sandwiched between two decks of cabins - no night club, no gym, no lounges, no buffet, dining room, or specialty restaurant above or below.... all of these things can and usually do give a bit of noise.

Can you tell me why so many ppl want to be on the POrt side then if the views are the same? That side sold out first..

Because lots of people think they'll be close enough to land to see something :)

I certainly believe you.. I can see you have done many cruises.. Can you tell me why so many ppl want to be on the POrt side then if the views are the same? That side sold out first.. I would like to seea little from my balocny at least.. SO does the ship just STOP at Hubbard Glacier? Then turn around for the other side of this ship? I take it that it is very cold there? I was thinking i would like to curl up with a blanket on my balcony.

What did you mean by the ship does not do the inner passage as they used to?

I take it you are telling to me just keep the better cabin that I have?

Michelle

The ship stops and holds it's place using GPS. People want portside balconies southbound because they look at a map and think they will see land from that side. They never come back and say that they were mistaken, that starboard side saw just as much...Or that they spent much more time topside than on their balconies. It's one of those urban myths that keeps being passed on.

I have done Alaska twice, 14 days each time, and inside cabin both times. EM

Agreed.

I understand the appeal of your private balcony and indeed, it may suffice for a while, but this is a potential once-in-a-lifetime cruise to Alaska and you will want to get as much from the experience as possible. This means being up on deck, outside, where you can move around and get sweeping views of the entire area, plus be able to hear and then see the calving (you will hear it first and then see it, as the sound reaches your ears before you see the glacier calve).

I would ask that you don't over think this. You have a balcony, that's great, just go with it and be prepared to move to a different location on the ship if you aren't happy. The upper decks will be busy but no one stays in the same place for hours and hours. There will be open spots at the railings from time to time. :)

My concern, actually, is the night club you mentioned. Personally, we always book a balcony which is sandwiched between two decks of cabins - no night club, no gym, no lounges, no buffet, dining room, or specialty restaurant above or below.... all of these things can and usually do give a bit of noise.

well i certainly apprechiate all the advice from experinced Alaska cruiers.. I have cruised but never Alaska before.. I have neen to Greece and in the Caribean a lot.. Nothing ot see in the Carabiean but water. in Greece the view was only there coming inot port. SO it did not matter.. But I know Alaska is differnt but i do not know. I ill keep the better cabin fro what yu all have said.. i am stillnot sure what yu mean thst the inner passage to vanciuver us ot done.

May I ask another question please.

my cruises do not go to Glacier Bay National park.. I did not relaize this until after booking.. Am i really missing out by this? i even inquired abut a small boat tour from Icy Straight Point.. but there is none. I will be 3 days in Seward and will tour and cruise Kenia Fjords National Park from a smaller boat.. Is this not verY much the same ? i ill also be cruising Sawyer Glacier on the cruise-ship.

The ship stops and holds it's place using GPS. People want portside balconies southbound because they look at a map and think they will see land from that side. They never come back and say that they were mistaken, that starboard side saw just as much...Or that they spent much more time topside than on their balconies. It's one of those urban myths that keeps being passed on.

I have done Alaska twice, 14 days each time, and inside cabin both times. EM

ahh i see

well i am glad to know that..

basically want to relax and have breakfast on my balcony.. so is it cold only when near a glacier? I checked the weather and it pleasant 70 degrees i Juneau right now

Can any on this thread tell me this???

Since I will be touring Sawyer Glacier and Hubbard Galcier from the cruise ship and a whale watch i Juneua shod i bother to take another tour of Kenai Fjords National Park?

They have several cruises on both th eNational Park that are over 6 to 10 hours long.. But they have another dinner cruise type of thing of Resurrection Bay which stops at Fox Island for a nice dinner. I am missing seeing Glacier National Park so I thought this would be the same.. I am kayaking in Resurrection Bay.. ;)

Any advice to help me decide?

I may be in the minority here but regardless...I understand...I've been to Alaska northbound (Hubbard Glacier) three times...twice in a portside cabin and once in a true aft (will be in a true aft this September Sawyer Glacier for my fourth cruise) all on RCI Radiance. I've had wonderful views from my balcony in my pj's wrapped in a blanket drinking hot chocolate...each of us can do and enjoy however we want to do it. Enjoy whatever/however you decide to do it as there's no right or wrong way ;):)

I may be in the minority here but regardless...I understand...I've been to Alaska northbound (Hubbard Glacier) three times...twice in a portside cabin and once in a true aft (will be in a true aft this September Sawyer Glacier for my fourth cruise) all on RCI Radiance. I've had wonderful views from my balcony in my pj's wrapped in a blanket drinking hot chocolate...each of us can do and enjoy however we want to do it. Enjoy whatever/however you decide to do it as there's no right or wrong way ;):)

I am doing the Southbound and I thin it is called the starboard side. (I am a little confused what you call each side) but it faces away from land. Ppl here are telling me that the side of the ship makes no difference in the view. Is this correct?

btw.. if you have been to Alaska where is the best place to buy a quilt?

I am doing the Southbound and I thin it is called the starboard side. (I am a little confused what you call each side) but it faces away from land. Ppl here are telling me that the side of the ship makes no difference in the view. Is this correct?

http://www.quiltalaska.com/

Doesn't look like they sell completed quilts, but they might know where you can get one.

Another one: http://www.abbysreflection.com/

One in Ketchikan: http://www.silverthimblealaska.com/

A directory of quilt shops in Alaska: http://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/alaska-quilt-shops.html

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

In the inside passage you will have land on both sides of the ship...so don't worry about the views. I just know on the itinerary I go I like the portside better because it also gives me great dock views when docked in some of my ports...but that's due to where RCI usually docks... (easy to remember port = left (4 letters in the word) when facing forward).

Don't overthink any of this...you'll have a wonderful balcony with great views after all it's Alaska.

Sorry I'm not a quilt lover much too warm for them here where I live and so something I've never been on the lookout for.

we are sailing on the NCL Sun on June 15.. It is Southbound fro Seward to Vancouver. We have a really good balcony cabin. It is a cat BA.. (Mid-ship baloney on deck 9) one deck of cabins above and cabins below.. So it is a prime cabin location unless you are going in a suite for this ship..

But.. it is on the starboard side away from the land going south. This cruise is going to view Hubbard Glacier. I would really like to do that from my balcony instead of the public areas. I can change to a port side cabin,but it wold be one deck below in the aft area of the ship.. I dont mind the aft.. call me weird but I like the slight rocking of the ship in fact. It rocks me to sleep at night.

But this cabin on deck 8 is right over the Spinnaker Lounge which looks like it is a dancing club. SO it might be loud at night.

My questions is this.. I am willing to tolerate the noise if I can see the glacier from my balcony.. But I was also told that the Captain turns the ship when glacier viewing. will this change be worth it? If i can see the glacier from the balcony that I am already in i will keep it. But if I can't I want to change, even in a lesser room..

Please advise.. any experienced Alaska cruise info is appreciated,

thank you

michelle ;)

We viewed Hubbard Glacier from our balcony (I don't remember which side we were on), and we got great views of calving.

Can any on this thread tell me this???

Since I will be touring Sawyer Glacier and Hubbard Galcier from the cruise ship and a whale watch i Juneua shod i bother to take another tour of Kenai Fjords National Park?

They have several cruises on both th eNational Park that are over 6 to 10 hours long.. But they have another dinner cruise type of thing of Resurrection Bay which stops at Fox Island for a nice dinner. I am missing seeing Glacier National Park so I thought this would be the same.. I am kayaking in Resurrection Bay.. ;)

Any advice to help me decide?

Just back from cruise on NCL Sun. We had to skip Hubbard because there was too much ice and fog, so you may not get a chance to see a glacier even if scheduled. Glacier Bay was amazing and we lucked into a clear sunny day. I also did a whale watch in Juneau. So when my next tour included Kenai Fjords, I originally thought meh. Been there done that. No. It was so amazing. We did the 7 hour tour and saw so many more whales, sea lions, the place where you see the birds was unlike anything I had seen the entire trip. The other advantage of Kenai is you get really close to a glacier. I thought they did a great job on the Sun of getting us close...until I experienced Kenai. I did not experience the dinner on Fox Island but met others who did and they really enjoyed it. Their only complaint was that it was $15 to add one crab leg to the meal....

Just wanted to quickly answer your question about Kenai Fjords. I'd definitely do it. Though we were lucky with good weather, I agree with the previous poster about seeing lots of wildlife. It was the best money we spent last year. I can't comment on how it compares to Sawyer Glacier, but you do see glaciers.

• 2 months later...

I already took this cruise and I was fine.

Cabin location did not matter a bit.. seeing the beautiful Alaska is what did matter.. Cant wait to go again ..

I am actually looking for advice for my next cruise.. I want to see GLACIER Bay and Sitka.. also want the most pot hour possible. I donot want o be on the ship that much

any suggestions

Cabin location did not matter a bit.. seeing the beautiful Alaska is what did matter.. Cant wait to go again ..

I am actually looking for advice for my next cruise.. I want to see GLACIER Bay and Sitka.. also want the most pot hour possible. I donot want o be on the ship that much

any suggestions

So glad you had a great time! Alaska is one of the places we think we will never get tired of on a cruise. We did see Glacier Bay and it is definitely something to put on your list of things to see.

NCL has these cruises I could find that have either Glacier Bay and/or Sitka on the itinerary: http://www.ncl.com/vacations?Ntk=p_Itinerary_Port&Ntt=SIT

I believe HAL and Princess also have itineraries that include Sitka and Glacier Bay. If you had to choose one or the other, I would choose Glacier Bay and take in Sitka on another cruise.

Oceania and Regent also have both Sitka and Glacier Bay, but they are pretty pricey!

Edited by fshagan

• 2 weeks later...

Balconies may be nice but the best viewing for any wildlife is into and out of the fjords in the Observation Lounge forward - on my northbound leg last week I saw about 20 whales in Tracy Arm- but those who camped in the lounge saw 40 or more including several breeches and some very close backs up. I saw none really close from the balcony.

Best whale watching will be near Icy Strait Point - some even stay in the lagoon - hope we are as lucky as last time.

any suggestions

Would suggest having your pot hours in Washington state before or after the cruise.