Your own soda- how does it work?

kristib2pea

First time cruiser on the Magic in July with all kinds of questions. So many I have been able to find answers to on these boards- thanks to everyone who chimes in and answers questions.

My question is about the soda you carry on. I read about people bringing their own wine into the MDR and having to pay an uncorking fee or something like that. If you bring your own soda- can you bring it with into the MDR and put it in one of their glasses with ice? Or is that super tacky? Sorry if that is a silly question, but I haven't been able to find out much about it in my searches.

Each cruise line can have different rules, although not huge differences, so it is best to ask on the board for the cruise line involved. In any case, as we don't know what "Magic" you are on, here is the Carnival board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

and the Disney board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167

First time cruiser on the Magic in July with all kinds of questions. So many I have been able to find answers to on these boards- thanks to everyone who chimes in and answers questions.

My question is about the soda you carry on. I read about people bringing their own wine into the MDR and having to pay an uncorking fee or something like that. If you bring your own soda- can you bring it with into the MDR and put it in one of their glasses with ice? Or is that super tacky? Sorry if that is a silly question, but I haven't been able to find out much about it in my searches.

Well, I'll be odd man out here. We brought our own soda onboard (12 pack of diet and 12 pack of regular - both caffeine free). About half the time I took my can of caffeine free regular Coke to the MDR and they provided me a glass of ice. I would drink about half the can at dinner and then finish it up in the lounge we went to that night.

All the ships we've been on they've not had the caffeine free sodas, so we bring our own. Once they start offering them onboard, we probably won't.

Yes, some people will think it's "tacky", but I don't let them dictate how I live my life.

I only drink Diet Dr. Pepper and wish they would carry it on the ship so that I don't have to bring six or so bottles of my own.

I pour a glass in my cabin and put the top back on the bottle and leave it there. I do ask for a glass of ice in the MDR.

At this stage of my life, I'm not going to sit and drink something I don't like with a dinner I am paying for.

I don't care for coke products and Princess lets me bring on my 'Dew. But I bring bottles (I can also taste the metallic taste from cans) so I pour some drink into a mug, and bring that to a meal, or else stick with water. You can certainly bring a glass of wine or an alcoholic drink you buy from the bar into the dining room.

Best to make sure the cruise line you're going on allows you to bring on soda and whether you're need to put in your carry on or checked luggage.

If you want to bring your own soda onboard, go for it.

If you want to bring a can into the MDR or anywhere else, go for it. Unlike others, I shall not pass judgment.

You probably could bring your own soda in. I wouldn't worry about what others say about it being tacky. I normally try not to watch what others do :)

I don't think the cruise like cares anyways I brought a case of diet pepsi in my carry on for my wife on the Adventure this month, I had the soda package. and they didn't even look in my bag to see what it was.

Yes you can bring your own drink into the MDR, many people do this though I think they pour it before they arrive.

Though many posed here it is tacky, most passengers aren't paying a ounce of attention to what another passenger is carrying into the MDR.