Cell phone and wi-if

ROYALBOY

Very interesting. When I try turn on wi-fi calling on my wife's iPhone 6 it fails with a message to contact Verizon. Verizon customer support then tells me the iPhone 6 is not supported by the Verizon HD feature, which is the prerequisite feature for Verizon native wi-fi support.

We can, of course, make wi-fi calls using third-party apps, we just can't do it in native mode.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by rwb

Very interesting. When I try turn on wi-fi calling on my wife's iPhone 6 it fails with a message to contact Verizon. Verizon customer support then tells me the iPhone 6 is not supported by the Verizon HD feature, which is the prerequisite feature for Verizon native wi-fi support.

We can, of course, make wi-fi calls using third-party apps, we just can't do it in native mode.

from VZW.com...make sure for some reason HD Voice is enabled on your device within your vzw account

HD Voice delivers clearer, natural-sounding audio when both parties are using HD Voice-enabled phones that are connected to our 4G LTE network.

HD Voice service is included in your existing voice plan at no additional charge. When you purchase an iPhone 6 or newer, HD Voice is automatically added to your account and ready for you to use on your device. HD Voice calls are billed as standard voice minutes, according to your plan.

HD Voice also enables:

Simultaneous voice and 4G LTE data

6-way audio conference calls

Wi-Fi Calling

For more information, refer to our HD Voice for Android™ FAQs and HD Voice for Windows FAQs.

Note: Not all Apple devices are HD Voice-compatible.

• 1 month later...

I have iPhone 6 I called Verizon trying to get some information regarding calling home at the US while I'm on a cruise. The first call I was told that while on the ship is pay as you go $1.79 per minute while at shore in the Caribbean I can buy a package for $40.00 for 100 minutes. Today as my cruise getting closer I called to verify and got DIFFERENT information. This time I was told that the $40.00 for 100 minutes cover at sea also. So needless to say it got me thinking what is the correct one. I don't want to call from the ship or from Haiti for example and get a bill I didn't expect so tonight I called to double check which is the right thing. So again I got DIFFERENT information. I was told that from the ship is $2.99 per minute and the $40.00 is for land only. By any chance any of you know what is it? I tried to practice what I read from you all put the phone on airplane mode and try to go to phone than wifi but I could not do that since I was on airplane mode. Also with that do I need to buy the ship Internet? I only need to call home no Emils or text, also I'm not so good at all this new technology so I truly need help. Thanks so much

Until recently Verizon Wireless included calls from the ship in the $40 per month international plan (up to 100 min). That was changed several months ago to the $2.99 per minute rate on cruise ships or 0.50 per text sent. However, you can use the $40 plan in ports, or you can use another option (Travel Pass) which is $10/day in port, or $2/day in Mexico and Canada. The Travel Pass option is charged only if you use your phone there, or no charge if you do not use it. On ship, since we get an unlimited internet package, we put our iPhones on Airplane mode and enable WiFi calling mode. We then get free phone calls and iMessages. It works great. We did this just recently on a 12-day Caribbean cruise. You can also find WiFi hotspots in ports and use WiFi calling there as well. The WiFi calling feature is not available on older iPhones so check your model. We have iPhone 7's.

I tried to practice what I read from you all put the phone on airplane mode and try to go to phone than wifi but I could not do that since I was on airplane mode. Also with that do I need to buy the ship Internet? I only need to call home no Emils or text, also I'm not so good at all this new technology so I truly need help. Thanks so much

After you put your phone in airplane mode, did you then tap the wi-fi icon to turn it on? And yes, you would need the ship wi-fi to make a call.

I have iPhone 6 I called Verizon trying to get some information regarding calling home at the US while I'm on a cruise. The first call I was told that while on the ship is pay as you go $1.79 per minute while at shore in the Caribbean I can buy a package for $40.00 for 100 minutes. Today as my cruise getting closer I called to verify and got DIFFERENT information. This time I was told that the $40.00 for 100 minutes cover at sea also. So needless to say it got me thinking what is the correct one. I don't want to call from the ship or from Haiti for example and get a bill I didn't expect so tonight I called to double check which is the right thing. So again I got DIFFERENT information. I was told that from the ship is $2.99 per minute and the $40.00 is for land only. By any chance any of you know what is it? I tried to practice what I read from you all put the phone on airplane mode and try to go to phone than wifi but I could not do that since I was on airplane mode. Also with that do I need to buy the ship Internet? I only need to call home no Emils or text, also I'm not so good at all this new technology so I truly need help. Thanks so much

Follow these instructions to turn WiFi on while in airplane mode:

Put your phone in airplane mode and make sure it's connected to Wifi:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204234

Here's how to make a Wifi call:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Check here to make sure your carrier supports Wifi calling:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204039

You can do this at home over your own wifi network to try it out. There should be no difference at all in utilizing your phone or receiving calls.

DO NOT call the 800# and ask for help on international plans. You will get a different answer every time you call. Reps are inexperienced and all of the carriers adjust their plans frequently which adds to the confusion. Use the tool on their website for accurate information and rates.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/#/tripPlanner

Travel pass would cost you $10 per day/port except Mexico, where it's only $2 per day. You could use your phone just like you were at home with no extra costs for calls or data. The cruise ship rate at sea is $2.99 per minute.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

Edited by Jeremiah1212

Follow these instructions to turn WiFi on while in airplane mode:

Put your phone in airplane mode and make sure it's connected to Wifi:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204234

Here's how to make a Wifi call:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Check here to make sure your carrier supports Wifi calling:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204039

You can do this at home over your own wifi network to try it out. There should be no difference at all in utilizing your phone or receiving calls.

DO NOT call the 800# and ask for help on international plans. You will get a different answer every time you call. Reps are inexperienced and all of the carriers adjust their plans frequently which adds to the confusion. Use the tool on their website for accurate information and rates.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/#/tripPlanner

Travel pass would cost you $10 per day/port except Mexico, where it's only $2 per day. You could use your phone just like you were at home with no extra costs for calls or data. The cruise ship rate at sea is $2.99 per minute.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/international-travel/

Thanks for the instructions. If I can connect to wifi do I need to BUY internet from the ship royal Carbbean or is it free to make a call? I only want to call home in the US few minutes a day

Thanks for the instructions. If I can connect to wifi do I need to BUY internet from the ship royal Carbbean or is it free to make a call? I only want to call home in the US few minutes a day

You have to pay for the wifi while on the ship. When on land at port, you can find an area where free wifi is offered and make the call.

• 2 weeks later...
On our next 3 Celebrity cruises we will have wi-if... first time actually. Question is, will it still be necessary to have an AT&T cruise phone plan, or can you make and receive calls while connected to the wi-if without additional costs? Thanks[emoji338][emoji338][emoji338]

When I was on Harmony back in November my AT&T wifi enabled phone worked great. Was able to send and receive calls via wifi, just make sure you turn off the cellular service.

There was no additional costs on my AT&T bill.

I have Verizon android devices. I downloaded a free app called Hangouts. I put my phone (and tablet) in airplane mode and turned off data. I connected to ship's wifi. (I was on Connie in February and Eclipse in December) opened Hangouts and made all the calls I wanted from both devices. There were no extra charges from Verizon. You do need to either pay for the ship's WIFI or have it as a perk .

On our next 3 Celebrity cruises we will have wi-if... first time actually. Question is, will it still be necessary to have an AT&T cruise phone plan, or can you make and receive calls while connected to the wi-if without additional costs? Thanks[emoji338][emoji338][emoji338]

Just back from Silhouette, wifi calling on ATT was spotty, worked best on the lawn, deck 15. FaceTime was more solid throughout the ship.

One more question please, please 😊 When I'm on land and buy a plan from VZ I know I have to take the phone OFF airplane mode to make a call. What happen with data will VZ charge me for that? What do I need to do to make sure I will not be charge for nothing other than the $40.00 plan that I pick?

• 2 months later...

Getting ready to head over to Europe. A few more questions about this Wi-Fi Calling.

On my Verizon iPhone 7, under turn on Wi-Fi Calling, there is another option - Prefer Wi-Fi While Roaming. Do I turn it On or Off when overseas and using Wi-Fi Calling?

You have to disable your data roaming from your settings menu.

As long as I have the phone in airplane mode, this feature is off, along with Cellular, correct?

HD Voice delivers clearer, natural-sounding audio when both parties are using HD Voice-enabled phones that are connected to our 4G LTE network.

Where do I find this setting?

I plan to utilize the WiFi calling feature, but will probably only use it on my iPad from the ship so that I can Facetime with kids. I will use it with my iPhone while in port and can find a free network. I also plan to buy the $40 monthly plan...just in case I cannot get the Wi-Fi Calling to work. I will do this instead of the Travel Pass. I will be texting or making calls more than 4 days on that trip, so I come out better spending $40 up front because we will be gone almost a month. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

SORRY! I have other questions in addition to the ones above. The below questions are from another similar thread that also died. Instead of resurrecting both, I've just copied and pasted. Hopefully, someone can answer from both, please. :*

You use your phone and text just like you were at home in the US. You do not need to dial +1 for US calls unless you normally do that from home for some reason.That is a cellular thing.

Q: Do I use other country codes while traveling in Europe? We will be calling places in Italy and Germany.

this is critical, if you turn on wifi calling and log your phone in you will use up all of your minutes, because your phone will constantly connect, not tons but enough to use up all of your minutes, so either get unlimited or sign in and out. if you forgot to sign out you will just continue to use minutes

Q: If I use up all of my Elite Plus minutes, do I get a message, or does Celebrity start to charge me for the additional minutes that I am using? And then I get a surprise charge at the end of the cruise. : YIKES:

I saw the following (see photo link below) on the Constellation "Live" thread that is currently active. it was printed in the Celebrity Today newsletter. Could someone explain exactly what it means? Because it seems to contradict the following comment.:confused: I do have Verizon.

Once logged in, it does not matter what you are using the internet for (calls, web surfing, email, etc.). Your minutes will just count down as normal, until they are used up.
Verizon%20Internet_zps9jajilpy.png Edited by Iamthesea

SORRY! I have other questions in addition to the ones above. The below questions are from another similar thread that also died. Instead of resurrecting both, I've just copied and pasted. Hopefully, someone can answer from both, please. :*

Q: Do I use other country codes while traveling in Europe? We will be calling places in Italy and Germany.

Q: If I use up all of my Elite Plus minutes, do I get a message, or does Celebrity start to charge me for the additional minutes that I am using? And then I get a surprise charge at the end of the cruise. : YIKES:

You will need the country code. Usually the number includes it. On WiFi Calling to non US numbers not sure if you will need the exit code 011. On cellular calls they know you are on a roaming network and it "magically" gets done. Not sure about WiFi Calling.

As for your Elite Plus minutes you should log out after every session. You don't want to leave it running under any circumstances. They won't send you a message. When you log in they tell you how much time you have left so you should know when you are close to the end.

I saw the following (see photo link below) on the Constellation "Live" thread that is currently active. it was printed in the Celebrity Today newsletter. Could someone explain exactly what it means? Because it seems to contradict the following comment.:confused: I do have Verizon.

Verizon%20Internet_zps9jajilpy.png

The post is about WiFi calling and is correct. The Celebrity Today is about cellular data roaming onboard if you have Verizon which is something you would not want to do when at sea anyway. You would get high data charges. Other carriers can roam on cellular data but shouldn't either. They are advising passengers to get a WiFi plan for data. (Web and apps)