Just off the Koningsdam...aft Neptune review

jvalentine

Hi Canuck!

There is a full length mirror outside the bathroom. :)

I use a Nikon D5500, and most of this trip I used a Tokina 11-16 DXII lens with it. It's been great for inside work and landscapes.

The husband shoots with a Nikon D750...he's still working on his pics and I'll post some of those whenever they're done. He's way pickier than me...lol)

jvalentine - that's great that there is a full length mirror. I will let my DH know about the cameras as he is looking to buy a new one. Thanks again for all the info and great photos!

Canuck

Hi lahlah57,

Thank you so much for your comments on the pics!

As far as the Lido goes...I never consistently found a good time to go where it was less hectic. If you're willing to brave the crowds the food was pretty decent and there were a lot of options, just seating was very hard to find. (That's the part I found the most annoying because after you wait in line with plate in hand..the last thing you want to do is go hunting for seat.) New York Pizza had virtually no lines for a quick and less hectic breakfast option.

The Pinnacle is open for suite guests for breakfasts at no charge. Other options we didn't try for breakfast were the main dining room which, in hindsight, probably should have done just to test it out because we don't always sail in a suite.

We were not in a suite so didn't have access to the PG for breakfast. As the OP noted, the Lido is very hectic at breakfast so we often went to the MDR. On other HAL ships we normally had breakfast in our stateroom but the lack of a place to comfortably eat there ruled that out after one try. The MDR breakfast menu is good but quickly got boring.

Saw a couple of things I forgot to respond on.

Closet space: in the aft wrap Neptunes you have two large double door cabinets for closets. One of them has two rows of smallish sized drawers from roughly waist height down to the floor. (trying to remember...maybe 6 drawers total inside that cabinet.) Good space for hanging things up as well. I always over pack and we had a good amount of space to fit everything in. Also, another thing I really liked were in the closets...the racks had an automatic light whenever you opened the cabinet so it was easy to see everything.

Reservations for dining: We booked everything once we were onboard. It was one of the first things I did once onboard with the concierges. Initially, no issues and we got our requested times. However, later in the cruise I tried to change one of them and wasn't able to get the time I wanted...so if you do wait to do them onboard...make sure you really check over your itinerary so the times work for you. Wasn't exactly HAL's fault on that...more user error. :)

Can you give me an idea of the activities that were offered daily on the ship? Really enjoyed your photos. We did a Norway cruise last year, and I remember many of the sites.

Hi there! I can't for the life of me remember much of anything activity wise on the ship. I know there were a few culinary arts center demos if not everyday, very close to it. Lots of lectures on the ports as well, which those had some helpful tips. I think I also remember a make your own jewelry demo too. Also, up in the crow's nest...lots of board games/cards going on most every time I popped up there. Also, most everyday (if not all), the classical musicians did a matinee recital up on Lincoln Center Stage...loved going to those.

I didn't bring any of the dailies back with me, hindsight probably should have done that, so I could better answer.

AZNative2000...the extra side window I did like a lot as well. It let in a lot of nice light during the day. (If they moved the desk under that and the couch to where the desk currently is I think the layout be better in my opinion.) :)

From your pictures, it doesn't seem like one can sit on the "couch" and watch TV. Personally, I don't like sitting on the bed during the day if I wanted to watch TV. I agree with you that the layout seems odd.

Thank you so much for the pictures. The ship looks beautiful and we look forward to sailing on her. Also, your itinerary is one that interests us. Beautiful pictures of Amsterdam and Volendam.

Edited by kalliekae

From your pictures, it doesn't seem like one can sit on the "couch" and watch TV. Personally, I don't like sitting on the bed during the day if I wanted to watch TV. I agree with you that the layout seems odd.

Thank you so much for the pictures. The ship looks beautiful and we look forward to sailing on her. Also, your itinerary is one that interests us. Beautiful pictures of Amsterdam and Volendam.

Basically every new ship today has this setup. Cunard, Princess, most RCCL cabins, etc.

The Pinnacle is open for suite guests for breakfasts at no charge. Other options we didn't try for breakfast were the main dining room which, in hindsight, probably should have done just to test it out because we don't always sail in a suite.

Does this apply only to Neptune and Pinnacle suites, or also to Signature?

Thanks for all the great info.

• 8 months later...
AZNative2000...the extra side window I did like a lot as well. It let in a lot of nice light during the day. (If they moved the desk under that and the couch to where the desk currently is I think the layout would be better in my opinion.) :)

I agree with you about the room layout. I would want to sit on what they're calling a sofa to watch the TV which is not possible with the current layout.

Thank you for your review and photos! We are looking forward to sailing on Koningsdam! :D

• 6 months later...

Thank you, jvalentine, for the great review and pics. We are sailing on the Koningsdam a week from today and have booked the opposite aft facing cabin on Deck 4, 4211. Can't wait!

One minor question that I'm wondering about. What is that contraption hanging on the side balcony? Is it there all the time?

Edited by HALbooster
Add name of creator of thread

the layout is a bit strange and the absence of a dressing room will probably keep us cruising on the Vista or Signature class if all other considerations are the same.:)

I use the dressing area to sit and have a cup of coffee and read the "mail" while my bride is sleeping. The dressing area allows lights and activity without disturbing her. I'm showered, dressed, and on my way to the Neptune Lounge and PG without waking her. Eliminating the dressing area in Neptune Suites is a big mistake in our book!

I use the dressing area to sit and have a cup of coffee and read the "mail" while my bride is sleeping. The dressing area allows lights and activity without disturbing her. I'm showered, dressed, and on my way to the Neptune Lounge and PG without waking her. Eliminating the dressing area in Neptune Suites is a big mistake in our book!

I will miss that separate dressing area when we sail on K'dam this winter. I love that the Vistas have two sets of closets, so we set them up with DH's clothes in the bedroom and mine in the dressing area.