How Late is too Late?

kevingastreich

How late is to late to actually book a cruise? Is it true that you can literally "walk up to the cruise counter and jump on a ship"? We like last minute deals and want to book literally "at the last minute". Thanks. :confused:

We have a lot of knowledgeable CC's who might be able to chime in soon!

The days are gone for you to be able to walk up and get on board! Too much is needed prior with passport checks, and filling out the extensive check in.

If you look through our archives you might find results of this already posted.

I sure wish we could just jump on board especially living in San Diego.

If I am wrong on theses points I would love to do the same as you!

We like to plane way in advance, but would enjoy last minutes too!

Denise:)

The clerks at the terminal do not have access to booking engines or ability to sell you a cabin. I believe on HAL you can call the night before and book. On Carnival you can call in the morning and sail in the afternoon. You would not be able to do online checkin so would have to be checked in at the pier 90 minutes before sailing. There is a lot of misinformation that is posted time and again about manifests having to be submitted 72 hours prior to sailing, but this is not true. EM

How late is to late to actually book a cruise? Is it true that you can literally "walk up to the cruise counter and jump on a ship"? We like last minute deals and want to book literally "at the last minute". Thanks. :confused:

The days of waiting in a cruise terminal to catch a cruise as a "standby" passenger are pretty much over. My parents used to do that when they lived in Orlando and my uncle in Miami. They'd got down to Miami and literally go from terminal to terminal in Miami or Ft Lauderdale trying to catch a cruise at a bargain rate. They gave that up in the mid 90's because of health but I think the practice actually stopped after 9/11.

Yes -- you can call the night before to determine if there are any cabins left. If there are, you can book it.

From HAL's site:

New U.S. government security regulations require us to submit certain guest information to law enforcement authorities at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this requirement, we must have the necessary information in our records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not have your information by this deadline, you will be unable to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

If you book at the last minute you may not get a decent cabin. Some cabins are under or over noisy public areas like theaters, bars and restaurants, making sleep difficult. It may be better to pay a little more for a quieter cabin.

Yes, that is an issue. I was thinking about 1-2 days before the sail and hopefully being offered a cheap upgrade? What do you all think? Thanks.

Yes, that is an issue. I was thinking about 1-2 days before the sail and hopefully being offered a cheap upgrade? What do you all think? Thanks.

Good luck with the cheap upgrade. The last minute bookings are probably going to get what is left, after others who have paid more get the upgrades. If you get a super low rate, it isn't going to be for a suite.

Generally the curtain at Hal closes 4 weeks before a cruise.

Odds are that all the other people who booked rooms a few weeks out will have already gotten the upgrades. Whatever you book last minute will probably be what you are stuck with.

Odds are that all the other people who booked rooms a few weeks out will have already gotten the upgrades. Whatever you book last minute will probably be what you are stuck with.

Ya, it is a gamble. I'm hoping for at least an Ocean View. Otherwise, I'll be spending ALOT of time in the Crow's Nest! :p

Have a friend that did this up until last year and she only stopped due to heath reasons. She lives in FLL and claims she can be ready to go in 30 minutes and at the pier in 45 minutes as she stays mostly packed. Her TA checks the ships' vacancies each morning for her when she wants to cruise. She has gotten some amazing deals like a $500 fare for a 10-day cruise the night before sailing, granted in an H or HH cabin but she did not care.

If you book at the last minute you may not get a decent cabin. Some cabins are under or over noisy public areas like theaters, bars and restaurants, making sleep difficult. It may be better to pay a little more for a quieter cabin.

On the other hand, I booked 10 months out (with a guaranteed single share) and got a cabin under the dishwasher.

Yes -- you can call the night before to determine if there are any cabins left. If there are, you can book it.

From HAL's site:

New U.S. government security regulations require us to submit certain guest information to law enforcement authorities at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this requirement, we must have the necessary information in our records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not have your information by this deadline, you will be unable to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

I don't read where that says you can call HAL the night before and book a cruise.

The fact that the quote pertains to "guest" information seems to imply already booked passengers.

Ya, it is a gamble. I'm hoping for at least an Ocean View. Otherwise, I'll be spending ALOT of time in the Crow's Nest! :p

When you call at the last minute, just make sure they have an Ocean View cabin, then book it if they do. Just don't take an inside cabin and hope to be upgraded to OV, it is very unlikely.