Port check-in times enforced?

I was on the phone with Royal Caribbean a few days ago (with website issue questions) and he told me I could get to the port and check in whenever I wanted to after 1, I believe.

I just finally got an email with a check in time, it states our assigned time between 4:45-6pm. Much later than we had planned.

We can just show up and wait in the required line, right? We will have all our luggage, hotel check out is at 1. We are not rule-breaking people but I thought I'd be on the ship by at least 2 for lunch.

I found one thread on this from last year by searching but womdered what the current thoughts are.

Thanks!

I was on the phone with Royal Caribbean a few days ago (with website issue questions) and he told me I could get to the port and check in whenever I wanted to after 1, I believe.

I just finally got an email with a check in time, it states our assigned time between 4:45-6pm. Much later than we had planned.

We can just show up and wait in the required line, right? We will have all our luggage, hotel check out is at 1. We are not rule-breaking people but I thought I'd be on the ship by at least 2 for lunch.

I found one thread on this from last year by searching but womdered what the current thoughts are.

Thanks!

What ship?

What port?

The only thing I don't like about late departures on embarkation day is the muster drill. It will mess up your dinner plans if you have set reservations. We end up just going to the WJ that first day.

San Juan, Seward Alaska are two that come to mind that I have experienced this on. I am sure there are others.

Thanks for that info island lady. Is there a way to find the time of the muster to see if it will interfere with my dinner reservations?

The cruise line does not publish that info. Next best thing would be to find a recent Cruise Compass here on CC from the same ship and itinerary.

Thanks for that info island lady. Is there a way to find the time of the muster to see if it will interfere with my dinner reservations?
Pretty sure in Dec it was 5:45 but then another in the evening around 8 for those that boarded the ship after 5:15.

BonVoyage

Dawna

We were on Adventure in February and had the early dining time, which I believe is either 5:30 or 6:00. I can't remember for sure. Anyway, we did not have a problem with this as they did it early enough for us to be able to make dinner, and then did a second one later on that night for anyone who had gotten on after the first one. You should be fine, but if someone has a current cruise compass, that is the best way to check.

Edited by CruiseCheapsk8
spelling

It's pretty common at 45 minutes before sail away, but as other posters noted...it can vary.

It's pretty common at 45 minutes before sail away, but as other posters noted...it can vary.

It varies. The problem is they have to account for every single pax. So they may have a problem locating that last person and get him to the assign station.

It varies. The problem is they have to account for every single pax. So they may have a problem locating that last person and get him to the assign station.

On many ships I have been on, if someone has not checked in, they make sure and chase them down at some point,

give them a reminder of the rules, and then make them do the drill later. They won't make everyone stand there for forever for one or two persons that are trying to skip out.

If you don't mustard....you will have to ketchup! ;p

On many ships I have been on, if someone has not checked in, they make sure and chase them down at some point,

give them a reminder of the rules, and then make them do the drill later. They won't make everyone stand there for forever for one or two persons that are trying to skip out.

Check in closes about 1 hour before sailing. I don't know about chasing down anyone. The last person for the drill may be hiding in some toilet. That is the problem.

Check in closes about 1 hour before sailing. I don't know about chasing down anyone. The last person for the drill may be hiding in some toilet. That is the problem.

Actually the rule is 90 minutes before sail away for ship check in. But I was talking about check in for muster drill. They are not going to hold the ship or make the entire crowd stand fast until they find that person trying to hide and avoid the drill. Believe me, they will eventually find the shirker. Not worth trying to avoid that drill. Remember the ding when you present your sea pass card before you get off at a port. ;)

We had 39 people not show up to muster on our last cruise. And that was just our muster station. Yes, they made us stand in the Miami heat while they tried to find them all. Maybe they won't for one or two people, but that was the longest muster drill I was ever at.

Muster drill check-in ???.

When is a check-in not a check-in.

When 99% or 95% has check-in? We should look at what is the dictionary meaning of the word.

Why do you say it vary then? They could then have a time cut-off. I have stood in place for 1/2 hour and I was about they last person in place.

So it shouldn't vary.

We had 39 people not show up to muster on our last cruise. And that was just our muster station. Yes, they made us stand in the Miami heat while they tried to find them all. Maybe they won't for one or two people, but that was the longest muster drill I was ever at.

That's terrible! What ship was that? I have never heard of a ship punishing the pax that are already there as required. Perhaps because of the large number of shirkers, they were trying to make an example of them.

Muster drill check-in ???.

When is a check-in not a check-in.

When 99% or 95% has check-in? We should look at what is the dictionary meaning of the word.

Why do you say it vary then? They could then have a time cut-off. I have stood in place for 1/2 hour and I was about they last person in place.

So it shouldn't vary.

You seem to be missing the point of two different mentioned check in terminologies.

First check in: At the terminal, checking in for your cruise before you board the ship, showing your

passport, getting your sea pass card, signing your health declaration, etc. That all needs to be done

90 minutes before sail away as required.

Check in at muster drill: Is simply showing your sea pass card to the official at your muster station, so they

can check you off the list as complying to attending the muster drill. Otherwise, how would the ship know

you had attended? They will then call out names and deck levels of anyone associated with your muster station

that has not presented themselves.

Muster station drill attendance is usually around 45 minutes before sail away, for example: Port Canaveral ship leaving at 4:30, muster drill is commonly listed as requiring you to be there no later than 3:45. But some muster station drill times can (and does) vary if your ship has a late departure (as in San Juan, Seward Alaska for example), or various other reasons.