Which side of the ship?

MsSoCalCruiser

I've got an almost in bred preference for Port.

But Starboard, they'll be ocean side.

Nit sure they'll see a lot of the coast from Port side anyway, normally they sail too far out to see much.

In all honesty I'm not sure it ever makes much difference.

Hello all.... I'm helping my friends book a September cruise on the Crown Princess, New York to Qubec City. Which side of the ship would be the best for this itinerary?

Once again, thank you for your help! :)

Doesn't really matter, when you get into the St Lawrence seaway can see land either side, other wise you don't see anything.

I've got an almost in bred preference for Port.

But Starboard, they'll be ocean side.

Nit sure they'll see a lot of the coast from Port side anyway, normally they sail too far out to see much.

In all honesty I'm not sure it ever makes much difference.

Weird. For some reason I too prefer a port side cabin. I'm not really sure why but that's just the way it is.

Weird. For some reason I too prefer a port side cabin. I'm not really sure why but that's just the way it is.

I've tried to work it out.

I THINK that for me comes down to

1. Our first few cruises were Port, but I think Starboard probably now has more days.

2. If I'm Port and we depart from the OPT in Sydney, I can sit on my balcony looking at the Ferry traffic from Circular Quay and the Opera House (providing the ship is docked fore in)

3. sailing back into Sydney Harbour I'm on the City side, a spectacular view around dawn.

Well that's as close as I can come to a reason. But if I've got two cabins more or less the same position, one Port and Starboard, I'll pick the Port side one.

Based upon my cruise, years ago, I would go for Starboard to see the Statue of Liberty, when leaving New York. Seeing it (Her!) was a great experience.

I experienced this on the original Royal Princess, in 1991. If any New Yorkers could update us, that would be great. But I believe Starboard, based upon the original Royal experience in 1991.

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

The Statue of Liberty is Starboard as you exit Red Hook in Brooklyn and head out through lower New York Harbor, under the Verrazano Bridge to the Atlantic. To get the best 360 degree views of the lower Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island and New Jersey as well as the Statue of Liberty and the Verrazano it is best to be on the upper open decks and not on your balcony.

I prefer the Starboard side. It is really a guessing game. I love it when we are in port and the dock is on the same side of the ship as our cabin. I can see how far people are having to walk to get to town, or see activities going on near the pier.

But, on the other hand, when the channel is on our side of the ship, we are entertained by what is going on in the water. Private water craft, people waving at us, sometimes see a little wildlife. If there are any port water activities, you have a front row seat.

Enjoy! No matter which side you choose!!

I've gotten used to the starboard side, and when we booked one on the port side, I found myself getting turned around quite regularly. :) But other than that I don't think it makes any difference, you can always go on deck to see what you would have missed, and there's always something.

Random musings...

• I, too, seem to have Port DNA.
  • However, that is easily overridden if the itinerary has a fairly consistent direction of travel from N to S or S to N. If that is the case, I always choose the side that will provide me a sunset view. As between sunsets and sunrises, sunsets win. Early morning sun is the devil's work when I am on vacation.
  • For NY and Lady Liberty, get out on deck! The statue and Ellis Island are moving. But so is Manhattan. You want to see it all. Plus, when viewing the Statue of Liberty, it is so much more chilling and moving when you share that experience in a group atmosphere with hundreds of other people. Really. You will make new friends with the people around you as they wipe the tears from their eyes while you do the same.

Random musings...

• However, that is easily overridden if the itinerary has a fairly consistent direction of travel from N to S or S to N. If that is the case, I always choose the side that will provide me a sunset view. As between sunsets and sunrises, sunsets win. Early morning sun is the devil's work when I am on vacation.
  • For NY and Lady Liberty, get out on deck! The statue and Ellis Island are moving. But so is Manhattan. You want to see it all. Plus, when viewing the Statue of Liberty, it is so much more chilling and moving when you share that experience in a group atmosphere with hundreds of other people. Really. You will make new friends with the people around you as they wipe the tears from their eyes while you do the same.

We haven't sailed from NY (yet!) but I think I would agree with you about being up on a high public deck for the statue, etc. I'm conflicted regarding sunrise or sunset but I think I agree with you that sunset on the balcony would be a winner. :)

Random musings...

What a nice post. I'm going to share this with my friends.

I've heard that a sunrise is really pretty, LOL. I'm not a morning girl. :D:D:D

Hello all.... I'm helping my friends book a September cruise on the Crown Princess, New York to Qubec City. Which side of the ship would be the best for this itinerary?

Once again, thank you for your help! :)

The OUTside is always the best.

The Statue of Liberty is Starboard as you exit Red Hook in Brooklyn and head out through lower New York Harbor, under the Verrazano Bridge to the Atlantic. To get the best 360 degree views of the lower Manhattan, Brooklyn, Staten Island and New Jersey as well as the Statue of Liberty and the Verrazano it is best to be on the upper open decks and not on your balcony.

What a great summary! Makes me want to go again! Thanks!

:) :) :)

Random musings...

Did I say that you make me want to go again? Yes!

I second the notion: what a fantastic post!

I also agree about the tears and sharing those with others, when seeing the Statue of Liberty. What an experience:) :) :)