Newbie to Oceanic with questions.

WAVTAM

Have first cruise book to try upscaling from the standard mainstream lines.

Have done Regent /Crystal and was looking for the middle with either Oceanic/Azamara or Viking

Booked 12 day Riviera in Caribbean as a started.

Have B4 cabin.......is there any BAD one???

Have Olife which I understands gives me internet and wine/beer with lunch /dinner.

Have 850 OBC. If in use 360 for gratuities , can I cash out the reminder in Casio at 3%???

If not should then one upgrade to Prestige package.

I don't quick see the value of this if one can bring alcohol on board and make cocktails in your room and enjoy the veranda.

Have first cruise book to try upscaling from the standard mainstream lines.

Have done Regent /Crystal and was looking for the middle with either Oceanic/Azamara or Viking

Booked 12 day Riviera in Caribbean as a started.

Have B4 cabin.......is there any BAD one??? not heard of any

Have Olife which I understands gives me internet and wine/beer with lunch /dinner.

Have 850 OBC. If in use 360 for gratuities , can I cash out the reminder in Casio at 3%??? NO probably not but you do not say where the OBC came from or if it is refundable or non refundable

If not should then one upgrade to Prestige package. personal choice depends on how much you drink

I don't quick see the value of this if one can bring alcohol on board and make cocktails in your room and enjoy the veranda.

If you plan to only drink wine or beer at meals & have other drinks in your cabin then probably not worth upgrading

Just an observation.

Caribbean cruises on Oceania - or most other cruise lines, for that matter - are different from others. They tend to draw a different crowd than say an Asian or even European cruise.

I am just saying this because you may not get a very accurate picture of the usual Oceania cruise experience.

Just an observation.

Caribbean cruises on Oceania - or most other cruise lines, for that matter - are different from others. They tend to draw a different crowd than say an Asian or even European cruise.

I am just saying this because you may not get a very accurate picture of the usual Oceania cruise experience.

I am going n our first Oceania cruise too and am concerned now about your statement about "tend to draw a different crowd".

What does that mean? Please elaborate.

In general - and this IS a generalization - it is a younger crowd as the cruise is shorter and "more affordable", does not involve long flights; a bit more enthusiastic crowd (Oceania is not a real party cruise). None of this may be the case on your cruise and none of it may even matter to you - it's just a FYI and FWIW.

The other cruises that are longer and further away draw more mature, well traveled, more sedate crowds and fewer kids.

Overall, I think you should have a wonderful cruise - I would not worry :) The food & service will be the same.

Enjoy!

Edited by Paulchili

Last year, on our first Oceania cruise, we took the same cruise as the OP is asking about - Riviera 12 night.

I do not consider a 12 night a short cruise, nor was it more affordable. We have cruised in Europe, along with other areas of the world, for 10-14 nights. Last years Oceania Caribbean cruise was the most expensive cruise we have taken! We were in a B3 which is comparable to the lowest stateroom category that we have ever booked.

Our cruise was the "more mature, well traveled, more sedate crowds and fewer kids." cruise experience. ;)

Will a 7 night Caribbean cruise be a different experience? I hope so. :cool:

Edited by Iamthesea

Last year, on our first Oceania cruise, we took the same cruise as the OP is asking about - Riviera 12 night.

I do not consider a 12 night a short cruise, nor was it more affordable. We have cruised in Europe, along with other areas of the world, for 10-14 nights. Last years Oceania Caribbean cruise was the most expensive cruise we have taken! We were in a B3 which is comparable to the lowest stateroom category that we have ever booked.

Our cruise was the "more mature, well traveled, more sedate crowds and fewer kids." cruise experience. ;)

Will a 7 night Caribbean cruise be a different experience? I hope so. :cool:

Good to know

As I said - it may not be the case and my description is a "generalization".

That has been my experience (even on Silversea and Regent - except the part about kids)

It is understandable for families to travel with kids during holidays when they are not in school.

Edited by Paulchili

In general - and this IS a generalization - it is a younger crowd as the cruise is shorter and "more affordable", does not involve long flights; a bit more enthusiastic crowd (Oceania is not a real party cruise). None of this may be the case on your cruise and none of it may even matter to you - it's just a FYI and FWIW.

The other cruises that are longer and further away draw more mature, well traveled, more sedate crowds and fewer kids.

Overall, I think you should have a wonderful cruise - I would not worry :) The food & service will be the same.

Enjoy!

I think this may be true on more of the Mega ships, however, on 4 of our past 5 Caribbean cruises on O, the age range has been the same as other cruises we have taken, with few or no children even on our two Christmas cruises and 2 B2B's. One cruise did have some younger couples, but definitely not your stereotype party crowd. Very sedate crowd (good for us), we can no longer take the longer flights to Asia or Europe due to DH's disability, however we still enjoy cruising. We found actually the Alaska cruises and one Summer Europe cruise to have many more younger adults and children. YMMV of course, however, we found O does not typically market their cruises as "the FUN boats" do!

I agree I have not seen too much difference in the demographics on our O cruises

We have never done a 7 day cruise with O though

We have done a B2B in the same area & the vibe was totally different on each segment

I just go & enjoy

I can't imagine kids being on a 12 night cruise unless it is over the holidays, school break, or summer. We never cruise when kids are out of school. I think the OP is safe from kids.

Also, kids would be bored on O, I know my grandkids would be.

I prefer to take cruises that are kid-free too.

However, I was recently on a 10-day Adriatic cruise on the Marina and there were a brother and sister (maybe 8-12 years old) who were great. I heard them asking intelligent questions of their mother at one port. At another, we were waiting to leave on a bus transfer from port to the boat and they both immediately gave up their seats to older adults who otherwise would have had to stand.

Very nice!!

OP here again with another question. Get internet , olife and options of 6 excursions(have been to most places before), beverage package or 600 obc.

Question, since I can't get OBC back, assume if I upgrade to beverage package of 20/pp/per day/12 day cruise the burns 480. Assume that I can just use the 120 remaining for anything else????or is it just pick the package or the obc.

OP here again with another question. Get internet , olife and options of 6 excursions(have been to most places before), beverage package or 600 obc.

Question, since I can't get OBC back, assume if I upgrade to beverage package of 20/pp/per day/12 day cruise the burns 480. Assume that I can just use the 120 remaining for anything else????or is it just pick the package or the obc.

If you buy nothing else the $120 will go towards your gratuities.

If you take the OBC as your choice of perk

they will deduct the gratuities (if you do not get them from TA)

then any purchases you make onboard

It is use it or lose it deal

WAVTAM, I hope you have a great cruise.........please don't take this the wrong way ( it's a joke).....but if you're cruising on Oceanic, you must be LOST !!!

LOL! It took me a second reading to get the joke.

Edited by phillygirl63

Seeing this is newbie question period....

I have gone to the website and start looking at the suites...

Are all the suites on each ship the same?

I am an NCL cruiser and was looking at the option to go with this cruise seeing they have almost the same kind of dress code, etc.

TIA

Seeing this is newbie question period....

I have gone to the website and start looking at the suites...

Are all the suites on each ship the same?

TIA

The suites on the R ships will be different than the larger O class ships in size & decor

The VS might also be different in size even on the same ship depending on the deck

If you mention the suite you are looking at booking it may help better getting the answers you are seeking

Edited by LHT28

thanks for the info... still looking really no set suite I am looking at.. but when I go to suite and change the ship... seems all to be the same...

Maybe tell us what you are looking for

Did you look at the deck plans?

Hover your mouse over the cabin number it will give approx sq ft/sq meters (includes balcony)

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/deck-plans/

cabin descriptions for Marina/Riviera

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/suites-staterooms/