Concierge? Worth it?

jabrown40

Good move. You will love 7111. Some will say it is windy etc. but that is not so. You still have the regular balcony shielded from neighbors that is shaded, if you want to venture further on your balcony it is wonderful. Yes you are exposed to the rest of the ship but who cares. We have had wonderful conversations with our neighbors but if you want privacy it is there. We stopped doing concierge a while ago. Not worth the strange $$. And contrary to some who proclaim the wind is terrible, depending on your itinerary this is not necessarily so. Enjoy your cabin and your cruise, you will not be disappointed

Amen. We're in 7108 for an "extended voyage" to the Norway Fjords and British Isles this coming July and August. IMO, the extended B3 is the best value on the ship- something O realized last year when it reclassified the remaining ones from B4 to B3.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always book concierge cabins. I like getting on the boat early and booking restaurants early but what I really like is the concierge lounge in the morning. I am an early person and my husband is not. I get up and put on sweats (not going in a bathrobe), getting my coffee and using my ipad until it's time to get the old man up.

Yes the R ships aft concierge is one reason (which is why we booked it) however another reason is that you will double your specialty nights from one reservation each restaurant to two each if in concierge. On the O ships, I don't see the monetary value or benefit for concierge and preferred to book 7111 extended balcony instead as the OP did.

That is definitely good to know as we have only cruised at the "A" level on Riviera and received one reservation at each of the specialty restaurants on each of our 10 day cruises. Two of our future cruises are booked on the Nautica and Serena in aft-facing "A" rooms, so getting double the number of specialty nights on those cruises is an extra perk we weren't expecting!

That is definitely good to know as we have only cruised at the "A" level on Riviera and received one reservation at each of the specialty restaurants on each of our 10 day cruises. Two of our future cruises are booked on the Nautica and Serena in aft-facing "A" rooms, so getting double the number of specialty nights on those cruises is an extra perk we weren't expecting!

It's length specific on whether you get one or two. You need to check the chart.

Insignia, Nautica, Regatta and Sirena

Concierge Level Veranda and above

Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant

Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant

All other categories

Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Marina and Riviera

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite

Penthouse Suite

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Insignia, Nautica, Regatta and Sirena

Concierge Level Veranda and above

All other categories

Marina and Riviera

Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite and Oceania Suite

Penthouse Suite

Concierge Level Veranda, Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

All cruises: 1 reservations at each restaurant

Here's the next question my DW had. We recently booked the 26 day 2018 cruise from Venice to Miami on the Riviera. This same cruise is also sold as separate legs, Venice to Barcelona and then Barcelona to Miami. How does Oceania treat Veranda guests if they booked the combined advertised cruise rather than the 2 legs separately? In other words if we booked the combined cruise will we get 1 reservation at each restaurant on each leg or just 1 reservation at each restaurant for the entire 26 day cruise?

Here's the next question my DW had. We recently booked the 26 day 2018 cruise from Venice to Miami on the Riv

Just remember you can always go to the dinner reservation desk in the morning & ask if they have any opening in the special restaurant that evening sometimes they do & sometimes you will get a surprise card in your door later in the day

People cancel during the cruise for whatever reason .too tired or meeting new friends they want to dine with elsewhere etc...

just keep asking & you may get extra seatings

Here's the next question my DW had. We recently booked the 26 day 2018 cruise from Venice to Miami on the Riviera. This same cruise is also sold as separate legs, Venice to Barcelona and then Barcelona to Miami. How does Oceania treat Veranda guests if they booked the combined advertised cruise rather than the 2 legs separately? In other words if we booked the combined cruise will we get 1 reservation at each restaurant on each leg or just 1 reservation at each restaurant for the entire 26 day cruise?

If the 26 day cruise is an Oceania "extended voyage" (I.e., two or more segments marketed and sold as a single cruise [with a single booking number and it's own name, which is not the same name as any of the involved segments]), you get the number of reservations associated with each segment. You get access to all segments' reservations on the first day your reservation window opens (same day as for the first segment's window opening). However, you must book each segment's allotted reservations within that segment. BTW, you can also purchase the various alcohol packages per segment rather than for the entire cruise.

How do I know this? Just returned from an "extended voyage" on Riviera and have multiple others booked.

BTW, IMO and experience, the pluses of booking the extended voyages over separate segments outweigh the minuses.

If the 26 day cruise is an Oceania "extended voyage" (I.e., two or more segments marketed and sold as a single cruise [with a single booking number and it's own name, which is not the same name as any of the involved segments]), you get the number of reservations associated with each segment. You get access to all segments' reservations on the first day your reservation window opens (same day as for the first segment's window opening). However, you must book each segment's allotted reservations within that segment. BTW, you can also purchase the various alcohol packages per segment rather than for the entire cruise.

How do I know this? Just returned from an "extended voyage" on Riviera and have multiple others booked.

I'm confused by your wording. Do you say that if you have one booking number as the extended voyage, they treat that as one cruise even though others can book part of the cruise as one voyage? Or do you have to make reservations as if it was two cruises/

I'm confused by your wording. Do you say that if you have one booking number as the extended voyage, they treat that as one cruise even though others can book part of the cruise as one voyage? Or do you have to make reservations as if it was two cruises/

No confusion here. Go to the Oceania website and search in "find a cruise" with the only location chosen being "grand voyages" (or no location chosen at all). You will be shown some cruises with some cute name and xx days that start on the same day as a differently named cruise on the same day on the same ship but with less duration. Look further and you'll find the second segment of the extended one offered as another cruise ending on the same day as the extended one. The longer "extended voyages" are "back to back" cruises sold as a single cruise with a single booking number. You get a discounted total price, same cabin, appropriate multiples of restaurant reservations, the equivalent of both segments' O Life and ability to buy alcohol packages per segment.

The only down side of "extended voyages" is that O Club cruise credits are based on entire cruise length. So two segments of 10 and 14 days duration (booked as separate cruises) would get 2 credits while the total 24 day extended voyage cruise would only get 1 credit. However, this is less of a problem if you book extended voyages that just pass the threshold for more credits (e.g., 25 days gets two credits, 35 days gets 3 credits, etc.)

Alternatively, look through the online brochures and toward the back of each one, you'll find a section called "extended voyages and grand voyages" (the latter being even more segments than the extended - think large segments of the world voyage). If I remember correctly, in these extended cruise listings, they even name the included segments.

Make sense now?

You have to do the math to see which makes more sense to you.

Sometimes booking an extended voyage as a B2B can make sense (depends on many things). I am currently on Insignia and just cancelled a 14 day Med. cruise and re-booked it onboard as a B2B two 7 day cruises (no B2B discount allowed when it's available as extended voyage)..

The O Life benefits are the same, the number of specialties are the same but I will get 2 cruise credits. The total cost for the 2 cruises was only about a $150 more than the extended voyage because of air credit X2 and onboard booking discount for both cruises. On the plus side I get 2 cruise credits, 2 Plat OBC instead of just 1 (+$600), 4 spas instead of 2 (+$460), $100 OBC X2 on current cruise and one voyage has PPG from my TA (I will get as full value in OBC).

A total "no brainer" in this case. That said, usually extended voyages are a better deal in terms of cruise cost.

[ QUOTE=Paulchili;52955258]You have to do the math to see which makes more sense to you.

Sometimes booking an extended voyage as a B2B can make sense (depends on many things). I am currently on Insignia and just cancelled a 14 day Med. cruise and re-booked it onboard as a B2B two 7 day cruises (no B2B discount allowed when it's available as extended voyage)..

The O Life benefits are the same, the number of specialties are the same but I will get 2 cruise credits. The total cost for the 2 cruises was only about a $150 more than the extended voyage because of air credit X2 and onboard booking discount for both cruises. On the plus side I get 2 cruise credits, 2 Plat OBC instead of just 1 (+$600), 4 spas instead of 2 (+$460), $100 OBC X2 on current cruise and one voyage has PPG from my TA (I will get as full value in OBC).

A total "no brainer" in this case. That said, usually extended voyages are a better deal in terms of cruise cost.

We do "extended journeys" most of the time and look for cruise durations like 25+ or 35+ days so that you get the same 2 or 3 cruise credits as if you booked multiple cruises adding up to those durations. The discounted fare of extended journeys are, most often, favorable and you do get all the other "per segment" perks.

I do question the above statement about getting multiple $100 OBCs on the current voyage. In my experience you only get one $100 current cruise OBC regardless of how many bookings you do onboard.

I do question the above statement about getting multiple $100 OBCs on the current voyage. In my experience you only get one $100 current cruise OBC regardless of how many bookings you do onboard.

We DID get $100 X 2 for a total of $200 OBC for booking 2 cruises (which we had no trouble spending :))

Whether this was correct or a mistake I do not know but it is a fact.

Hi,

Just a quick question. I booked a back to back and was not offered a credit for that. It is not offered as an extended voyage. Is there always a back to back discount?

Thanks

I am not sure they are still doing the B2B discount or not but you should have gotten the air credit for 1 cruise or both if you did not want the air at all

I would ask your TA (if you used one) or Oceania about the discount

Hi,

Just a quick question. I booked a back to back and was not offered a credit for that. It is not offered as an extended voyage. Is there always a back to back discount?

Thanks

I believe that there still is a B2B discount for voyages that are not offered as extended voyages.

You should also get air credit for both trips if you choose no air option.

Your TA should have the answer to this.

• 8 months later...

BTW, IMO and experience, the pluses of booking the extended voyages over separate segments outweigh the minuses.

Hi Flatbush, could you please expound on the benefits of booking 1 grand voyage vs 2 B2B cruises? Just booked Oceania for 1st time and booked as 1 GV. Now I'm really debating splitting it up because the 2nd segment is a TA and I would probably want a differenet cabin for 2nd leg, cancellation policy is more flexible and I can book 2nd leg as cruise-only.

Hi Flatbush, could you please expound on the benefits of booking 1 grand voyage vs 2 B2B cruises? Just booked Oceania for 1st time and booked as 1 GV. Now I'm really debating splitting it up because the 2nd segment is a TA and I would probably want a differenet cabin for 2nd leg, cancellation policy is more flexible and I can book 2nd leg as cruise-only.

Not much to add. Depending on number of days in each segment vs total in GV, the trade-off is how many "O Club" points you get vs the "generally" lower cost of the GV.

I say "generally" lower because circumstances may be such that one segment may not sell as well and get a price reduction that would not translate proportionately to the GV booking (though you could try to get some more OBC via your TA or directly).

Also, depending on your O Club level, things like O Club loyalty OBC would be awarded per each segment in a B2B. That makes picking the right number of days for a GV an important consideration (IMO, you'd want to have the minimum on a GV that gets you that next point, e.g., thirty-something gets you 3 instead of 2). So, bottom line, there's a moving target of pluses and minuses.

One final though: once you get to the O Club level that gets you a "free" cruise, your average cruise length and cabin level related to what you'll get for free.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Just one addition to above post.

Your 20th “free” cruise has nothing to do with the length of your previous cruises but does with your cabin level.

You get your free cruise after 19 cruise credits, however long they were.

Your free cruise is up to 14 days (beyond that you pay extra for over 14 days, under 14 days you short change yourself) and the cabin you get is a cabin you “averaged” on your prior 19 cruises (if you mostly sail in verandas, that is what you’ll get).