Do I need a passport??

Hi,

I am sailing on May 26, 2017 on explorer of the seas...it is a closed loop cruise, meaning technically we don't need a passport, just a birth certificate. One of us has a passport, the other has an enhanced drivers license and a birth certificate... we are going on the yukon adventure white pass excursion in skagway...on RC's website it says a passport or visa is required due to the train entering Canada for a period of time. However, an enhanced license allows entry and re entry by land and sea, but not air travel....i have called RC 2 times and have gotten 3 different answers. The first time they said a birth certficate would be okay, the second time they said we needed a passport, and the third time they said the enhanced license would work....if anyone has any experience with this and or feedback it would be much appreciated.

We do have a stop in canada itself on the cruise and we are able to use only a birth certificate for that stop...so I don't see why this excursion should be any different....?

We do have a stop in canada itself on the cruise and we are able to use only a birth certificate for that stop...so I don't see why this excursion should be any different....?

It's different because when you are visiting a port via cruise ship, you are technically in transit, which has different requirements. I would look at Canadian requirements for entering the country by land.

I did one of those Skagway Yukon excursions, and they had a custom's agent come aboard our bus to check our passports. He looked at each one as he walked to the back of the bus. Don't remember exactly what he needed. But I had a passport book.

Our guide seemed nervous. She told us that on a previous trip, one of the passengers had visited the bathroom during the custom's visit, and he pulled his gun.

I did one of those Skagway Yukon excursions, and they had a custom's agent come aboard our bus to check our passports. He looked at each one as he walked to the back of the bus. Don't remember exactly what he needed. But I had a passport book.

Our guide seemed nervous. She told us that on a previous trip, one of the passengers had visited the bathroom during the custom's visit, and he pulled his gun.

Scary. I don't need any guns getting out. I did call the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and they seemed to think a enhanced licenses would be acceptable.

I did find this on the SOS website.

. All land and sea travel between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean falls under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requirements, regardless of the type of vessel. Depending on the details of your travel to and from Canada in your own boat or by ferry, you may be required to present an enhanced license or state ID card (or other form of acceptable proof of identity and citizenship) to U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials.

Visit the CBP at http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiativefor more information on the WHTI travel requirements.this on the secretary of state website.

Hi,

I am sailing on May 26, 2017 on explorer of the seas...it is a closed loop cruise, meaning technically we don't need a passport, just a birth certificate. One of us has a passport, the other has an enhanced drivers license and a birth certificate... we are going on the yukon adventure white pass excursion in skagway...on RC's website it says a passport or visa is required due to the train entering Canada for a period of time. However, an enhanced license allows entry and re entry by land and sea, but not air travel....i have called RC 2 times and have gotten 3 different answers. The first time they said a birth certficate would be okay, the second time they said we needed a passport, and the third time they said the enhanced license would work....if anyone has any experience with this and or feedback it would be much appreciated.

First of all, you don't need a BC if you have an enhanced drivers license.

You will get lots of different answers here as well. I would not just pick the answer you want to hear.

My opinion is that the Enhanced drivers license should be fine. Could be train travel is considered to be like air travel to the suits in which a passport would be required.

I'd get the passport so that there is no question and everyone's mind will be at ease

Scary. I don't need any guns getting out. I did call the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and they seemed to think a enhanced licenses would be acceptable.

I did find this on the SOS website.

. All land and sea travel between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean falls under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requirements, regardless of the type of vessel. Depending on the details of your travel to and from Canada in your own boat or by ferry, you may be required to present an enhanced license or state ID card (or other form of acceptable proof of identity and citizenship) to U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials.

Visit the CBP at http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiativefor more information on the WHTI travel requirements.this on the secretary of state website.

But that does not mean that Canada will accept your enhanced drivers license at that border crossing. All it means is that US officials will accept it returning. I think the Canadians probably will accept it but I read a post here a few months ago where they did not because of some technicality that made no sense. It may have been a confused Canadian border agent.

Edited by Charles4515

First of all, you don't need a BC if you have an enhanced drivers license.

You will get lots of different answers here as well. I would not just pick the answer you want to hear.

My opinion is that the Enhanced drivers license should be fine. Could be train travel is considered to be like air travel to the suits in which a passport would be required.

I'd get the passport so that there is no question and everyone's mind will be at ease

They are definitely good for train travel. One issue is that some who think they have one don't. Real ID DLs are not Enhanced Drivers Licenses. EDL's are only issued by Washington State, Minnesota, Michigan New York and Vermont.

They are definitely good for train travel. One issue is that some who think they have one don't. Real ID DLs are not Enhanced Drivers Licenses. EDL's are only issued by Washington State, Minnesota, Michigan New York and Vermont.

The other member in my party definitely has an enhanced license, as he just went to SOS Wednesday to order it. We live in Michigan.

I tried calling Cruise Lines of Alaska, no answer, and the voicemail box it connects to is "full". Lovely.

Does anyone have contact information for Canada Customs? How would this really be any different from A detroiter crossing the ambassador bridge to go to windsor in canada with an enhanced license...which is accepted...?

The other member in my party definitely has an enhanced license, as he just went to SOS Wednesday to order it. We live in Michigan.

I tried calling Cruise Lines of Alaska, no answer, and the voicemail box it connects to is "full". Lovely.

Does anyone have contact information for Canada Customs? How would this really be any different from A detroiter crossing the ambassador bridge to go to windsor in canada with an enhanced license...which is accepted...?

You might call the White Pass Railway. 1-800-343-7373. I don't think you need one for the excursions where you don't get off the train, only for the ones where you get off and take a bus back.

You might call the White Pass Railway. 1-800-343-7373.

I just called and left a message. I think they are closed for "winter months" hopefully opening soon. However, i did find the same excursion through princess and they said a enhanced drivers license is accepted along with other WHTI documents. I believe we are safe!

Remember it is not what the US customs accepts, but it is what Canadian authorities accept. Can't tell you what their rules are nor do I remember what we did on that excursion 10 years ago! We had passports so it wouldn't help you. Good luck.

Why not just get a passport?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a one. The other guest does not. This will probably be their only trip out of the country...birth certificate will work for the cruise, they can't justify the cost of the passport if they would only use it this one time.

I have a one. The other guest does not. This will probably be their only trip out of the country...birth certificate will work for the cruise, they can't justify the cost of the passport if they would only use it this one time.

An enhanced driver's license is fine for crossing the border into Canada (and back) by land. Here is WA state's enhanced DL info: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/edlfaq.html

I'm sure that Michigan has a similar FAQ on their DMV website. :D

Why not contact the Canadian Border Services Agency and ask them as they are the ones who would enforce the policies.

CBSA email at contact@cbsa.gc.ca or through the Border Information Service line at 1-800-461-9999.

What you are getting here are opinions and picking the one you want to hear is probably not in your best interest.

An enhanced driver's license is fine for crossing the border into Canada (and back) by land. Here is WA state's enhanced DL info: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/edlfaq.html

I'm sure that Michigan has a similar FAQ on their DMV website. :D

Agree. Michigan here. Reason us boarder states have the Enhanced Drivers Licence, to drive into Canada without need of Passport....

I did one of those Skagway Yukon excursions, and they had a custom's agent come aboard our bus to check our passports.

We had a quite different experience. At the border crossing the driver told the agent that there were Americans, Canadians, and three Kiwis on board. The agent let out a sign and we heard him say "I suppose I'll have to come and have a look". He got on the bus, asked the three of us to put up our hands, he glanced for a second and then got back off the bus having checked nothing at all and not having even moved close to us.

We've had a similarly strange experience coming into LAX where we were told "you're not what we are looking for - go and stand in the US line".

Why not just get a passport? That way you're future proof if you want to visit Europe or the rest of the world.

It always amazes me how many Americans don't have passports . Why not?

They don't want to visit Europe or the rest of the world.

Or they can't afford to.

Edited by Charles4515

Because many Americans don't need one

Those are the one's who do not travel or are willing to take a risk of traveling internationally and having to fly home, with out going to the nearest USA embassy to get a PP or what ever is necessary to fly back to the US from a foreign country.

I agree with the PP that the White Pass Railway would be the best contact for this question. That is who we did our excursion with (sounds like the same one you are doing). They do this trip everyday, so they would know the answer. Loved our Alaska cruise. Have fun.