Beggars/Violance in Ports

Clepire

We have been to the Caribbean many times and never had any issues, however we don't carry expensive jewellery or watches and never carry a lot of cash. We always try and be polite even when saying no to beggars or sellers. We use the same principle everywhere else in the world. I would say the most pushy people you will encounter on a cruise are the photographers, they need to be wearing masks.

As long as you politely decline their services you will be fined.

At most ports you will have the hair braiders and taxi drivers trying to peddle their services. But I find if you are firm but nice they leave you alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all! We're going on our first cruise in 2 weeks and I was curious as to if anyone knows how bad the violence/beggars are in the Caribbean. We are going to St. Kitts, St. Marteen, Dominica, Antigua, and Tortola.
I first went to Sint Maarten, Antigua and St.Kitts in the 1970s, and have been back a number of times since, both as a sail passenger and on land stays. I have also been to Dominica and Tortola (and most of the other islands in the Caribbean, including a number that have ever seen a cruise ship). Crime statistics are pretty bad in the Caribbean, but a small amount of common sense goes a long way. Most of the murders involve liquor and drugs (and deals gone bad) late at night. Most robberies involve people who display way more wealth (expensive watches, jewels, etc) than they should while simultaneously being in relatively secluded locations. Avoid those situations and 90%+ of issues go away.

I am often in Baltimore, and there is hardly a traffic light that does not have multiple people asking for money while walking in the street, so I am capable of recognizing beggars. In all my years going to the Caribbean I have never been approached by a straight up beggar (and I certainly have been approached in India, the US, etc). I also have rarely had a visit to the Caribbean in which I wasn't approached multiple times being offered goods and services for which I had no desire. Poor people trying to make a living. A polite but firm "No" while you continue to move is usually more than sufficient. Sometimes I'll joke with the "tour guides" that I've been coming to their island since before their parents were born; I don't mind a little interaction as long as they understand that I'm not buying. The Caribbean is not a perfect paradise (nowhere is), but use a little common sense and it has a lot to offer.

enjoy

Thom

Never encountered any of this in 25 years of cruising. They are all very friendly and safe islands. You of course will encounter people on some islands wanting to sell you souvenirs, etc., but that is not an issue.

Island sales pitches have a certain charm. The sales announcements onboard are worse.

What you so conveniently left out was the fact I was responding to this comment:

The context, from the very beginning was about KW having the "most" beggars of any place cruises go (except SJ). I highlighted "most" because that is a key word here. If you still don't get it, I can't help you.

Aquahound,

I admire your posts and your information but I beg to disagree here. Maybe as a native you aren't in the tourist areas or you know what areas to stay away from because of the gathering of individuals drinking and pestering for spare change.

Walking down Duval street, I have always seen a number of people on the sidewalks some selling crafts, some with sunglasses on the dog for photos, some with crap pretending to sell, some just with signs, all with a cup rattling for change. As a clueless tourist both on cruise and staying on Key West, I have wandered through side entrances to Mallory Square and side streets and backed out due to groups of 5-10 men sitting/standing with signs asking for money, saying homeless, etc. or even one in a secluded area as a precaution. Maybe, it is because I travel solo that I am more watchful since the men can be very bold with solo women (the women can also be nasty). Maybe as (I'm guessing here) you are a guy with a military demeanor on your home ground and a familiar face, they won't mess with you but they see me and other cruisers are easy meat.

Hi all! We're going on our first cruise in 2 weeks and I was curious as to if anyone knows how bad the violence/beggars are in the Caribbean. We are going to St. Kitts, St. Marteen, Dominica, Antigua, and Tortola.

I've been to all those ports (solo most times) and never had a problem. I would disagree w/ the other poster who told you to stick w/ ship excursions for your first time. Just make sure you do your research on her on the Ports of Call boards and on Trip Advisor.

For Dominica I would highly recommend booking a tour w/ Levi Barron w/ Bumpiing Tours, one of the best tours I've taken. Tortola if you like snorkeling I would go w/ Kuralu for an all day sail. St. Kitts if looking for just a beach day look into Carambola Beach Club.

Not so much beggars as scam artists. Of course you have to know going in that if they are going to let the monkeys crawl all over you and take pictures for you they're going to expect a "tip". Problem is you don't see them coming and all the sudden you have a monkey on your back (literally) and now "you owe them" for the "experience". Well, Purina Monkey Chow ain't cheap. :rolleyes: Not that the critters probably get food that good. We gave them a couple dollars and told that that was all the cash we had on us. Did get some interesting pictures so it was OK by us.
We had the parrot guy in San Juan 11 years ago. He handed oldest son a ship's wheel prop and posed him with a couple of parrots and a cockatoo and took his picture with a Polaroid camera. He wanted $20, we ended up at $10. Today that son is a Navy officer in the Middle East and this is one of my favorite pictures - and worth much more than $10 to me.

As for panhandling/violence - like others, our experience is only aggressive vendors that usually back off when you show you're not interested, and not panhandling or violence. Of the ports OP listed, we've been to Tortola and St. Martin and didn't even experience aggressive vendors. Jamaica and Nassau had the most aggressive, IMO.

I found panhandlers - as opposed to vendors - much more aggressive in Europe when we sailed on Carnival Vista last year. When we were in Florence a simple "no" would not work - you had to move somewhere else or they would keep trying to wear you down. DH actually was hit on the nose by a panhandler when he didn't pony up a Euro.

We feel much safer in most Caribbean and European cities than we do in most large cities in the US. Especially from a personal safety perspective.

Big difference between being pick pocketed and being mugged-or worse.

As the OP noted you need to be aware of your surroundings and your person at all times.

Edited by iancal

The greatest number of beggars and the most violence you may experience are in American ports. If you can protect yourself in those places, you will be fine in the foreign ports.

Wow, I never realised that Seattle and Fort Lauderdale were such a hot beds for violence and beggars.:eek:

Edited by MicCanberra

About the same as the city I live in. Feels like home! Why are you concerned about this? It's no different than any place else. Most cases you won't even see any. I'm thinking someone is feeding you false info on the Caribbean.

I live in a small town in Connecticut, where I am extremely sheltered from most of this. I had seen a post on a Facebook page about Dominica and wanted to see if anyone else on here had an issue.

The only Caribbean port in which I remember seeing anyone begging is San Juan, Puerto Rico. There are quite a few there.

I am not counting the MONKEY GUYS in St. Kitts. Some may consider them beggars.

Now that's FUNNY!! My sister had the same experience and commented in kind. :D

I live in a small town in Connecticut, where I am extremely sheltered from most of this. I had seen a post on a Facebook page about Dominica and wanted to see if anyone else on here had an issue.

Well if you plan on sailing out of Boston Be ready.

You will see pleanty of folks with help me sign's at traffic lights begging before you get to your cruise.

Seems to be everywhere. Seattle yes, quite aggressive. Melbourne so disappointing, worst I have seen anywhere in the world. Encampment outside Flinders Street station, right where tourists from all over the world catch tram to tennis.

Wow, I never realised that Seattle and Fort Lauderdale were such a hot beds for violence and beggars.

Ahhh yes, stroll through Pioneer Square in downtown Seattle and there's no shortage of panhandlers. Generally not aggressive and just sit there with their sign. Or at freeway exit/entrances. I spoke to a Snohomish County (north of Seattle) sheriff's deputy and he said the root of the problem (as in many places) was heroin addiction and to definitely not give in and give them money.

Seattle and Fort Lauderdale have tolerable climates. I don't recall much panhandling when we lived in Minnesota - at least not November to March. :rolleyes:

Begging is asking for money while being homeless is just looking pathetic as they are sleeping rough. Sometimes the same people will put a cup out as well but they are normally not grabbing at you and begging.

This happens everywhere around the world.