Passport cards

jgmpuma

Other than cruising, my wife and I never leave the country (she does not fly). We have always gotten by with birth certificate, but as we get a little older we have some concerns about getting stranded in another country.

I have heard of passport cards. Apparently they are easier to get and cheaper than full-blown passports.

Would these work?

I have the card, but will get the regular passport when it comes time to renew. I haven't had any problems with the card, but I would say to go ahead and just get the passport book. Even if you don't plan on flying, anything could happen while you are at a port and the card will not allow you to fly home, should the need arise.

The passport card would not be too much help to get you home since it cannot be used for international air travel, although it does give you a bit of a leg up since your information is already within the State Department website. It also may be used for open jaw sailings, but those are rather rare nowadays. It is one durable document versus a paper birth certificate. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

Other than cruising, my wife and I never leave the country (she does not fly). We have always gotten by with birth certificate, but as we get a little older we have some concerns about getting stranded in another country.

I have heard of passport cards. Apparently they are easier to get and cheaper than full-blown passports.

Would these work?

Since you said your wife doesn't fly, a card only would be useful. But, as noted, it's only good for land/sea travel between US/Canada/Mexico.

If you were on a trip out of the country, and there were a medical or other emergency requiring flying (yes it can happen) you cannot fly with just a passport card, you must have the passport book. That would include flights from port on a cruise.

IMO, a card and a book pretty much require the same procedure, so not "easier" to get a card. Yes, they are a bit less in cost. However, if you need to get a book in an emergency situation, you're going to pay for a full passport book cost for a passport that expires in a year.

Would these work?

Passport cards work the same way as a drivers license and birth certificates-- save your money

See no reason to ever get the passport card unless you live near the Canadian or Mexican border and drive across frequently. If you go through the process, might as well get the passport book or just stick with the birth certificate.

Get the full passport even if you never plan on flying. If something should happen you'll be able to get home quickly from any port. With the card you'll gave to find the closest consulate to get one issued. You can be charged the full rush cost of a passport plus any other expenses (hotels, transportation) while waiting for the consulate to open.

and no better at getting you home than a birth certificate and a drivers license.

Would these work?

Unless you cross the boarder by land regularly they are not worth the effort it takes to get them.

The application and payment procedure for getting a PP Card is the same as the full PP book. The difference is the price, and of course, the shape of the product.

PP Cards are good for closed loop cruises from US ports as well as the aforementioned land crossings into Canada and Mexico.

If you happen to live in a state with enhanced drivers licenses available, it will also get you onto a closed loop cruise. So will a birth certificate and photo ID.

Frankly my full passport has cost me $1000's over the years. The Mrs. will not let me get rid of it. :cool::D

The passport card is essentially a waste of money the government sucked people into, some got both. Like another said.. unless you live on the Canadian or Mexican border they are a waste.
If you can afford a holiday... you can afford a passport.

$110 Passport

$30 Passport card

There is also a $25 execution fee when applying at passport acceptance facilities. https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/fees.html

In a medical emergency your wife may find out that she flies after all. Get passports.

Back when our state first offered the Enhanced DL's became available, I jumped on it. How could it hurt, a more secure ID....Hmmm. We didn't travel much, so I thought the ID would do it, until I got to the pay window and they told me its like 97.00. If I would have known that at window 1, I would have opted just to go for the book passport. So now I have the enhanced ID and the book passport. However, my DH, who is exceptional, and doesn't think he requires the preferred passport, does have the enhanced non drivers ID, BUT, when we come back from the cruises, most CBP do not recognize the enhanced ID, and want to see the birth certificate with it, so in hindsight, he wasted his money on it, because I still have to bring the BC with me. OH and last time checking in for our cruise, it took forever because the woman checking us in couldn't get this ID to "take" in the computer. She put in his ID as a drivers license, and not a NON drivers ID. UGH....I wish he would smarten up...

Would these work?

Only if you're crossing the road borders between US and Mexico or Canada. Unless you're a border commuter, they're a waste of money since, if and when you decide to fly internationally (or need to), only an actual passport will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Back when our state first offered the Enhanced DL's became available, I jumped on it. How could it hurt, a more secure ID....Hmmm. We didn't travel much, so I thought the ID would do it, until I got to the pay window and they told me its like 97.00. If I would have known that at window 1, I would have opted just to go for the book passport. So now I have the enhanced ID and the book passport. However, my DH, who is exceptional, and doesn't think he requires the preferred passport, does have the enhanced non drivers ID, BUT, when we come back from the cruises, most CBP do not recognize the enhanced ID, and want to see the birth certificate with it, so in hindsight, he wasted his money on it, because I still have to bring the BC with me. OH and last time checking in for our cruise, it took forever because the woman checking us in couldn't get this ID to "take" in the computer. She put in his ID as a drivers license, and not a NON drivers ID. UGH....I wish he would smarten up...

The Enhanced Drivers Licenses/IDs are recognizable at a glance- they have "Enhanced" written across the top and a US flag on them. I'm surprised that any trained CBP officer would miss it. DW and I decided to get them for our 2014 cruise because I didn't like carrying her naturalization certificate around since it would cost $350 to replace it if anything happened to it. (Our EDLs only cost $25 more than a regular license though).

In any event, it's not your DH that needs to smarten up, it's the people at the port who need to stay up on things;).

The Enhanced Drivers Licenses/IDs are recognizable at a glance- they have "Enhanced" written across the top and a US flag on them. I'm surprised that any trained CBP officer would miss it. DW and I decided to get them for our 2014 cruise because I didn't like carrying her naturalization certificate around since it would cost $350 to replace it if anything happened to it. (Our EDLs only cost $25 more than a regular license though).

In any event, it's not your DH that needs to smarten up, it's the people at the port who need to stay up on things;).

Yes, but are you willing to argue with someone who has a very large gun? No kidding, my DH gives him the ID, looks at him and asks for his BC, I say its an Enhanced, again he says Birth Certificate, LUCKILY, I have learned from past experiences never assume, be prepared.

Edited by myfuzzy

Yes, but are you willing to argue with someone who has a very large gun? No kidding, my DH gives him the ID, looks at him and asks for his BC, I say its an Enhanced, again he says Birth Certificate, LUCKILY, I have learned from past experiences never assume, be prepared.

No, I wouldn't argue with him, I'd speak to his supervisor (or gotten his name and written to the CBP supervisor of the port).

Only if you're crossing the road borders between US and Mexico or Canada. Unless you're a border commuter, they're a waste of money since, if and when you decide to fly internationally (or need to), only an actual passport will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only itin I'd consider using the Card for would be cruises out of California where Ensenada is the only foreign port. It's only 75 miles south of the border.

ETA-...and RT Alaska cruises.

Edited by SadieN

i renewed my passpsport in the last year and got a pasport card at the same time.

I plan to use it fo reboarding the ship in ports where they ask to see a phot iD when enteringg the port area. I'd rather leave my DL in the safe and not risk losing it when showing it for I.D. It would be a a nuisaance for me ro get it replaced when I got home If it had not been time for my passporrt renewal, I would not have bothered to get a passport card.

Edited by sail7seas