Any issues with your child being in a cabin with a relative?

acsfl

My husband and I are planning a cruise with our daughter(she'll be 10) and my Mother-in-law. We are going to get two cabins and my husband and I will be in one and my daughter will be in the cabin with my mother-in-law.

Will there be any issues at all boarding,etc. with her not being in the cabin with us? We will of course be there with her documentation.

As long as there is at least one adult in every cabin the cruise line should accept the reservation. And if both cabins are under the same booking number there should be no issue with the parents in a different cabin than their child. Though if you tell us which specific cruise line(s) you are considering someone may know of a quirk in booking for that line you might need to consider.

One thing to consider is that if the cabins are not very close to each other (or even if they are) they might each have a different muster station. Be sure your MIL is OK with soldiering her granddaughter to the drill on their own.

This will be on NCL. And as far as it being one booking, I am going to book online through Orbitz, so it will end up being two separate bookings.

Two bookings is okay, the important thing is that you are present at checkin and can say "Yes I am the parent of this child." If not, you would need to usually fill in some forms, write a waiver in advance confirming who would had charge over the child, that they had medical permission for treatment, permission to sign safety waivers etc.

As long as you are going to be present for that stuff there will be no issue at all with booking references or sleeping arrangements.

This will be on NCL. And as far as it being one booking, I am going to book online through Orbitz, so it will end up being two separate bookings.

It will always be seperate bookings when you have more than one cabin...I would want the bookings linked though. Should be no problem for you at all...enjoy.

As long as Mom and Dad approve, are present at check in and the person with whom she will be sharing the cabin is 25 years or more (which I am sure your M-I-L is), you should have no problem.

M-I-L is her grandmother, is she not?

I would certainly be sure to have the two bookings linked.

Edited by sail7seas

My husband and I are planning a cruise with our daughter(she'll be 10) and my Mother-in-law. We are going to get two cabins and my husband and I will be in one and my daughter will be in the cabin with my mother-in-law.

Will there be any issues at all boarding,etc. with her not being in the cabin with us? We will of course be there with her documentation.

No issues at all. She is traveling with you even if not staying in the same room.

Just a thought...

If you are planning any separate time (excursions) where you will be leaving your MIL in charge of your daughter it is worth pre drafting and signing a very simple medical consent letter. Hopefully, it will not be needed but cuts through lots of problems if your daughter, for example, slipped and did need some ship provided first aid or needed to visit an emergency centre when in port.

I know this can sound dramatic but is a really good idea when family groups are travelling together and different family members may at different times be looking after the children.

Just a thought...

If you are planning any separate time (excursions) where you will be leaving your MIL in charge of your daughter it is worth pre drafting and signing a very simple medical consent letter. Hopefully, it will not be needed but cuts through lots of problems if your daughter, for example, slipped and did need some ship provided first aid or needed to visit an emergency centre when in port.

I know this can sound dramatic but is a really good idea when family groups are travelling together and different family members may at different times be looking after the children.

Thanks for the good idea for precautions. We are planning on staying together while off-ship, but you never know what could happen like you say. I suppose it's possible my husband and I would go do something for a little while that they weren't with us. Better safe than sorry!