Carnival Glory - being "warned" about anything?

beshears

We are looking forward to a wonderful time on the Glory in March.

Is there anything on this ship where it looked like they tried to "trick" you into buying something, and the advertisement, etc. was false?

Anything else that a person needs to be warned of?

I have cruised over 26 years and never had that problem, but I have 7 other people "depending" upon me, so that is why I ask.

i clicked on this because i was really wondering what the premise may be. i see you're trying to prep for some under your wing... i don't think there's anything in particular to be 'warned' about though... here's my thoughts...

cruising is addictive.

balconies are addictive, too... that whole 'once you go balcony you don't go back...'

the 'welcome drinks' are not free.

turn your cell phone off. charges can be exorbitant.

this is a new one - if your room steward asks you to pick once a day service, tell him/her no, you can have twice a day service

no bottles of anything except wine

don't try to take a power strip or splitter with surge protection

no 'decorations' that aren't flame retardant

you have to ask for ice most times...

glory isn't carnival's best (or worst) ship so don't take it as a full representation of the line based on one experience.

that's what i've got right now.

Haven't sailed "Glory" in quite some time, but I concur with most of what "falkcor" says. The only additional thing,,,,at least for me,,,,is avoid the art auction. I simply don't think there's a bargain to be had there. Perhaps someone else will correct me if I'm wrong,,,,but I doubt it. ;)

Other than that, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time aboard "Glory".

"SKY"

Is there anything on this ship where it looked like they tried to "trick" you into buying something, and the advertisement, etc. was false?

I have cruised over 26 years and never had that problem, but I have 7 other people "depending" upon me, so that is why I ask.

The one person that has ever tried to "trick" me on a cruise ever is me... " I am going to skip dessert...just one drink..." Big fibber

Cruise lines generate more revenues on products and services on board. Buying it is a matter of choice despite a lot of sales pitch, including false advertisement. Those "depending" on you would need your close guidance in this situation.

i clicked on this because i was really wondering what the premise may be. i see you're trying to prep for some under your wing... i don't think there's anything in particular to be 'warned' about though... here's my thoughts...

cruising is addictive.

balconies are addictive, too... that whole 'once you go balcony you don't go back...'

the 'welcome drinks' are not free.

turn your cell phone off. charges can be exorbitant.

this is a new one - if your room steward asks you to pick once a day service, tell him/her no, you can have twice a day service

no bottles of anything except wine

don't try to take a power strip or splitter with surge protection

no 'decorations' that aren't flame retardant

you have to ask for ice most times...

glory isn't carnival's best (or worst) ship so don't take it as a full representation of the line based on one experience.

that's what i've got right now.

You don't need to to turn your cell phone off. Just put it in airplane mode and turn on the wifi. People use their phones to take pictures, videos, stay in touch using wifi, etc.

Also I have taken a power strip/surge protector on every cruise I've been on and it's been fine.

If the CD is constantly shilling for a service or hawking a product, you can be pretty sure it is worthless.

The important thing to note to everyone is that it is perfectly fine to say no to any suggestive sells. Seminar or informational type of "activities" are always a hard sell for something you really don't want or need - try to avoid those.

I'm taking two on a short 3 day cruise next month so I'm working on the same things so they don't get put in some hard pressure situation to buy.

The only thing good about the Art Auction is the "FREE" Champagne! Its not the best, but it FREE!

I they want to go to the Spa then repeat this Mantra "Do not buy anything, Do not buy anything"!

or you will walk away from your Special Massage with over $200 in stuff you will never take out of the Box.

Edited by mabones

It wasn't an issue with the Glory but on the Paradise the MDR wait staff would ask "would you like water?" and if you say yes just expecting some plain ice water they rush back with a bottle of water and open it before you can say anything. We told them that wasn't what we wanted and they reversed the charge.

Also not on the Glory but recently on the Dream the spa didn't honor pre-purchased services and they made a bunch of false charges on people's cards.

That's 2 things in my 12 carnival cruises, by and large it's all on the up and up.

Haven't sailed "Glory" in quite some time, but I concur with most of what "falkcor" says. The only additional thing,,,,at least for me,,,,is avoid the art auction. I simply don't think there's a bargain to be had there. Perhaps someone else will correct me if I'm wrong,,,,but I doubt it. ;)

"SKY"

This! The first time I ever went to the art auction, I bought a 3 piece collection and hubby "won" something. I think we spent $150-200. And at least that much if not more, once we got home to frame it. We went for the "free drink" opportunity. I like champagne (even cheap champagne) and this was still not good.

Have been hearing when cruising for years (on all the lines) to hurry up & buy tanzanite jewelry, as the only mine is running out;)

Also I have taken a power strip/surge protector on every cruise I've been on and it's been fine.

Surge protectors are not allowed no mater how many times you have brought them before. Please see the bazillion threads on why they must not be used. Also they are really starting to crack down on prohibited items. Just ask the person who just had their hand held steamer confiscated even though they had brought the same one umpteen times before.

Oh my, ALL you people are wonderful with your responses.

I agree on most everything that has been mentioned.

I know some of them that are going with me wanted to check out Miami (we're on a tight budget, so flying in the day of the cruise) while there. I TOLD them, I have a "feeling" they will get HOOKED on cruising, like I did 26 years ago, and then they can take a 3, 5, 7 or longer cruise, and check out Miami when they want to. :)

I just thought, perhaps something NEW has come up, that I should know ahead of time. The postings here look fine to me at this time. :)

"SKY"

Well I certainly won't correct you because a bargain is in the eye of the beholder and if you behold no bargains then you are right.

But we got a nifty set of three prints that we like and cost what we were willing to pay. I have no illusions that I am now an "art collector" or that they will increase in value but I'm happy with them and the colors will go well in our new home when we move and that's what counts for me. :)

And I got a free glass of champagne-ish liquid! And most of my wife's. I apparently have greater tolerance for that sort of thing than she.

* avoid the art auction

* bingo does cost money

*avoid any jewelry or watch purchase...it may seem like a good deal but it's not..it'll either be broken or you'll have overpaid...

* make sure they bring extra medication, OTC meds you MIGHT need ( you don't want to pay 4 gazillion dollars for 10 motion sickness pills when you could've paid 3.98 for 100 at good ole Wallyworld)

*notify all credit and debit card companies you plan to use that you will be sailing...

Sea day spa prices are cheaper & we always write on the top of our form "No Product Sales" and we are never pitched.

You mean port days? They run specials then when most people are off the ship. At least that's been my experience when I would go.

Edited by firemanbobswife

"SKY"

But you can get some free champagne - we go for the free drinks and just to look ...

Relax.

OK, now that I've said that, the Glory is our favorite ship. We love the Conquest class balcony cabins on the lido deck, port side up front. Our trips on her have taken us to Maine and Canada and the Eastern route of the Caribbean.

Here are some of the memories:

Eastern:

Canada:

Have a great trip!

Edited by BallFour4

Relax.

OK, now that I've said that, the Glory is our favorite ship. We love the Conquest class balcony cabins on the lido deck, port side up front. Our trips on her have taken us to Maine and Canada and the Eastern route of the Caribbean.

Here are some of the memories:

Eastern:

Canada:

Have a great trip!

My favorite ship as well. Those are really great shots. Are you into architecture?

My favorite ship as well. Those are really great shots. Are you into architecture?

I like a mix of all when we cruise. I really like cranking up saturation and close up images. It goes back to the Nikon F2 and 43-86 zoom from 1976. I now have too many cameras if you ask my wife. I carry a Canon 120 in my pocket everywhere I go.

With all the bright colors on cruises I've made a wall of my stuff on canvas without frames. Believe it or not, Walgreens does the best work for me and it's cheap.

Thank you for the kind words.

Edited by BallFour4