Should I migrate to Oceania?

lizboyle

We are seasoned cruisers and have thoroughly enjoyed our last two cruises on Azamara. But, and it's a big but; the prices on Oceania are extremely tempting! It's a £1000 cheaper than Azamara. Think I really ought to exercise restraint! I'm loving the new upgrades on Journey and love the friendly crew. Help!!!! 😰

There are a number of threads here on the subject of Azamara as compared to Oceania (I won't say "versus" Oceania) so I suggest you do a search.

We ourselves haven't sailed on Azamara yet so I can't comment personally, but you will find there are people who prefer Oceania but also appreciate Azamara. Others who prefer Azamara. (I believe a common comment is that the crew is friendlier on Azamara, but for us Oceania is just right.)

Prices on this size of the pond seem to favor Azamara unless things have changed since I last checked.

Good luck.

Mura

There are a number of threads here on the subject of Azamara as compared to Oceania (I won't say "versus" Oceania) so I suggest you do a search.

We ourselves haven't sailed on Azamara yet so I can't comment personally, but you will find there are people who prefer Oceania but also appreciate Azamara. Others who prefer Azamara. (I believe a common comment is that the crew is friendlier on Azamara, but for us Oceania is just right.)

Prices on this size of the pond seem to favor Azamara unless things have changed since I last checked.

Good luck.

Mura

No airfare/credit from Azamara. That's a chunk of change for trips to other continents.

I would compare what you get on both lines & what is of value to you

I do not think you can compare the O class ships of Oceania with the R-ships of Azamara

What works for me may not work for you

research is the key

Enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn

Good luck.

Mura

I wish it were the same here, I wouldn't hesitate to book Azamara at the prices O are quoting!

Plus liquor isn't included on O either -- I don't count buying a package as being equivalent to free for some reason ...

Then again the "Choice" benefits may tilt towards the Oceania side of the coin for the OP.

Mura

Our cruise on O's Marina is my all time favorite cruise - cabin, food, on-board activities. My wife would say the same, but about our cruise on A's Journey (that was before the Journey's recent upgrade.) Even I have to agree that the Journey's crew was the best we have sailed with!

Even after 25+ cruises on 6 different lines, we still base our future cruise selection on itinerary first, compare cruise lines and ships with that itinerary, and then look at what we would get for what we would have to spend...

Air, liquor and Internet included for less than Az cruise only.

Thanks

The liquor package is usually the House Select which is wine by the glass & beer at meal times

I would clarify that before you decide

But if the price & itinerary are right for you then give O a try

JMO

Edited by LHT28

Thanks

The liquor package is usually the House Select which is wine by the glass & beer at meal times

I would clarify that before you decide

But if the price & itinerary are right for you then give O a try

JMO

Thank you. Instead of drinks we can have $600 obc which would cover all drinks.

IME & IMO, Oceania trumps Azamara in all aspects but one - friendliness of the ship's officers.

While that is very nice, it is not very high on my list of requirements for a good cruise or cruise line.

A is just fine but not better than O for us.

As always, YMMV.

DH and I have discussed between ourselves this issue of "friendliness of officers".

Bear in mind we have not been on Azamara so we cannot compare and I am not trying to.

But we like the relationship with crew (not just officers) on Oceania just fine. We have always found the crew to be friendly without pushing ...and we aren't sure we'd like MORE friendliness. (We'll have to try AZ to see if our opinion changes.)

Mind you, this isn't meant as a criticism to the other line that we have not sailed on! We like it when Oceania personnel recognize us from previous cruises and that is fine! "Hi, how are you?", when we meet them in the halls is fine.

We're not sure we'd want more ... but that is probably just us.

Mura

I do not need the staff to be my new best friend but some people feel the need :rolleyes:

One must decide what they want in a cruise experience & you can only find out if one works for you by trying it

the is no one size fits all even in the cruise business

I think it is a bit immature of people when they say things like

" I feel like I am cheating by trying another cruise line" ... ...seriously :eek:

And the reason is the cost.

The Oceania cruise in October is a fantastic deal for a UK customer. It will be my fourth cruise in 2016....maybe my fifth, plus a land holiday in Italy. Therefore we wanted a "cheap deal" and we got it. Azamara prices for a similar cruise were almost half as much again. We also get the free flights....well not absolutely free because of a flight deviation for our two day stay in Barcelona pre cruise, but at a very reasonable cost indeed. Plus the $600 OBC and free internet. I have cruised with O before and it was very good....but it wasn't Azamara, which personally, I prefer. As someone else said YMMV.

However, as my friend recently commented, we are "glass half full" girls and we know we will have a fantastic time on Nautica.

But....can some people not take a joke? Cheating by trying another cruise line IS a joke of course, I have tried just about every cruise there is, in my more than 100 cruises, and to say that enjoying the exceptional crew interaction on Azamara is wanting them to become your new BF is silly. It just makes your cruise experience so special that's all, compared to every other cruise line. We all have our favourites and Azamara will always be mine, but Oceania may well become my second or third favourite.....I like Silversea too! :)

I think this apparent rivalry between O and AZ passengers is a bit daft, as they are both great cruiselines with elements in common that we all enjoy. Aren't we all lucky that in this tempestuous world we are able to cruise on either, or indeed both of them?

A couple of other significant differences IMO, exorbitant excursion prices on Oceania as well as a destinations department on board that has no ability to do the right thing and is generally constrained to do absolutely nothing by the home office as well as the go the extra way when things go amiss such as the significant compensation for the post dry dock Journey cruise compared to Oceania's almost complete ignoring of the significant Riviera issues on the noro plagued TA and subsequent cruise.

Appears Oceania has only been concerned about the significant $50M bonus for reducing costs (cutbacks) that has now been earned by the executives and have set the stage for continuation of the reductions.

Realize this is the Oceania Board and the cheerleaders will flame this post however, too many reports of these activities from many people simply looking for a good cruise support these comments.

I have cruised both and prefer O based on cleanliness of ships, quality of food, and do not care about hanging out with the staff.

Love the R ships but prefer the larger Riviera.

Love the R ships of Oceania and have no desire to hav the staff do anything but their jobs. A smile and hello is perfect for us

As Mrs Astor once said when asked to dine at the captain's table,"I don't dine with the staff."

Realize this is the Oceania Board and the cheerleaders will flame this post however, too many reports of these activities from many people simply looking for a good cruise support these comments.

Tommiroke....I provided an opinion based on my experience on both. This past year I spent 30 days on X, 10 days on O, have an upcoming cruise for my family on Disney, have 30 days with O in Oct 2016, and 30 days on Silversea for 2017 and a week on SeaDream 2017,also.

Not a cheerleader for O and find your comments offensive to those of us that are trying to help the OP make a decision.

Love the R ships of Oceania and have no desire to hav the staff do anything but their jobs. A smile and hello is perfect for us

As Mrs Astor once said when asked to dine at the captain's table,"I don't dine with the staff."

And that response is exactly why I don't choose Oceania as my first cruiseline of choice! :rolleyes:

It seems to me that as the Oceania officers patently do not have the special interaction with their guests that Azamara do, then every time it is remarked on, some of the Oceania devotees resort to comments of not "wanting to be the crew's best friend" or "hanging with the staff" come up. That is SO NOT what the Azamara experience is. Remember I have been on Oceania before....and the Captain and Senior Officers were invisible....not just that they didn't stop for a chat, but they were simply not present in the guest area's to even give you a smile or Hello. The Captain did not even attend his own cocktail party! :rolleyes:

Both cruiselines are excellent, both have their strengths and weaknesses, both have their cheerleaders and both will get my custom if the itinerary and price is right. But I am still allowed my favourite just as we all are, and for me that is Azamara Quest.

Really looking forward to our Nautica cruise though and have to say that the value for money on this one is excellent. It will be interesting to compare Nautica to Quest and Journey and I will do so with a balanced view, I hope.

And that response is exactly why I don't choose Oceania as my first cruiseline of choice! :rolleyes:

It seems to me that as the Oceania officers patently do not have the special interaction with their guests that Azamara do, then every time it is remarked on, some of the Oceania devotees resort to comments of not "wanting to be the crew's best friend" or "hanging with the staff" come up. That is SO NOT what the Azamara experience is. Remember I have been on Oceania before....and the Captain and Senior Officers were invisible....not just that they didn't stop for a chat, but they were simply not present in the guest area's to even give you a smile or Hello. The Captain did not even attend his own cocktail party! :rolleyes:

No competition here

I just do not understand why people need to have a best friend attitude for the staff

I have seen different Captains & staff stop & chat with passengers on O

Some people put more importance on chatting with the staff than others

YMMV as they say

AZamara is not Oceania nor is it Celebrity, Princess, Crystal etc

why expect it to be the same :confused:

I choose Oceania for the simple reason of value

Finest food I have ever had at sea... and many a land place

Classy decore, low key passengers and well mannered

Outstanding cabins and bedding

No Kids, or silly games for big kids

Choices of numerous dining venues... all at no extra cost.

No formal faux dress up..

Very service oriented staff..my experience is 180 degree with another poster

After serious introspection, I have come to realize that perhaps the Captain has not been waiting his whole life to meet me, nor I him... I can deal with it... Id much rather chat with an interesting Bartender, waiter or chef....

Sometimes , I feel , people seem to lug around their own set of personal problems and issues and what results is a by-product of that baggage.

Me after 6 cruises I have had nothing but smooth, seamless, encounters with wonderful responsive interaction.... For me, its the sum total of choice, quality atmosphere and cusine that , for me makes Oceania unlike any other. Too, after 6 repeated cruises with almost all the Oceania ships and staffs from the Med to Australia to Alaska...I just plain wont try to better what I see as a winning hand time after time from 10 day to 34 day cruises.

BUT....thats me... and why I feel the way I do

Edited by Hawaiidan