Bath or Balcony

GStonelake

It all comes down to preference as the room size is the same for both.

With the bed by the bathroom, the area near the balcony is more open and roomy. You can sit on the sofa and look out, the desk area is brighter. The downside of this layout is the closet area is a bit cramped and next to impossible for two people to be there at the same time.

With the bed by the window, you have a nice view while sitting in bed. The desk/sofa area is open and using the closet is easier. I do find the area a bit narrow to get out on the balcony with this layout and I find I move to the middle of the cabin to change rather than by the bed/balcony.

My preference is by the bathroom, but it really isn't a big deal either way.

I much prefer the bed by the balcony as it affords much needed space by the closet. It also provides a nice open space for dressing without having to walk around the bed.

It is definitely a personal preference thing. Having had both, I prefer the bed by the balcony.

Having had both we probably prefer bed by the bathroom, room just seemed a bit more spacious (even though it's the same size).

That said, for us, it isn't a major factor and not one I think we'd even worry either way.

I'm a bed by the balcony girl! As others have mentioned, I like the extra space when I come out of the bathroom and it's easier to get into the closet.

I also love to lay in bed with the balcony door open and listen to the sounds of the ocean...ahhhhhhhhhh!

What are the pros and cons regarding bed near bath or balcony?

Into twin beds, the space between the bed closest to the closet and the closet itself--under the "bed by bathroom" configuration--is extremely tight... Once was enough!

Otherwise, I tend to be indifferent though--if both are available in the ship area that I want--I do have a slight personal preference for the "bed by the balcony" configuration...

I prefer the bed by the balcony. It provides a nice living area, and I do not have to walk around the bed to do everything. To me it feels more like home with the bed not in the middle of the living area. I also like to sit in bed and watch the ocean.

Carolyn

Did it ... secured cabin 1552, bed near balcony on the Reflection. Thanks for all input. If anyone sees a problem with this selection, please let me know. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looks like you have a slanted balcony which will probably make it a tad larger.

On other S class I'd steer clear of that room due to the proximity to the window washer. I admit I haven't been on Reflection (January will be my first time) so I don't know if the "extra deck" eliminates the issue. Perhaps someone can chime in on that. Congrats on AQ. We love Blu.

Did it ... secured cabin 1552, bed near balcony on the Reflection. Thanks for all input. If anyone sees a problem with this selection, please let me know. Thanks again.

Excellent choice, I'll be in that cabin next Sunday on the Eclipse. We pretty much pick it on every ship. The balcony is very large and the window washing equipment (on Eclipse) is in front of the cabin next door. We love the overhang and being right close to the gym and Aqua Spa.

We also prefer the bed by the balcony so when we walk into the room it seems bigger. But any cabin is better than no cabin!

enjoy

wow! I didn't even realize that there were different room configurations with regards to this. May I ask how one might determine (in advance) how your stateroom is set up?

The way we do it is to look on the deck plans for the cabins with squares and triangles. Those are the ones where there is a pull out couch or drop down bed and on those they put the bed closest to the bath. The cabin next door and every second one going down the row will be a cabin with the bed closest to the balcony. I'm also told the booking reps have sheets that will tell them which is which.

To the OP - Looks like you selected a very good cabin. Since you are on the "slant" looking towards the aft, you will be protected from the wind. These angled balconies are wonderful and large! Enjoy!!

To those who are wondering how to determine bed near bath or balcony, there is a spreadsheet showing various cabins that others have reported on over the years. There is also a "Sticky" (highlighted in red) at the top of the Cruise Forum: Celebrity Cruises page where people regularly post their experiences with the various cabins & ships.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lYvbGYBf2WB3jSFTVuliFltauVnhdqfheWJTeFujSbs/edit#gid=899786436

The way we do it is to look on the deck plans for the cabins with squares and triangles. Those are the ones where there is a pull out couch or drop down bed and on those they put the bed closest to the bath. The cabin next door and every second one going down the row will be a cabin with the bed closest to the balcony. I'm also told the booking reps have sheets that will tell them which is which.

Do you know which ships have these configurations? I think it's only Eclipse but not sure.

Do you know which ships have these configurations? I think it's only Eclipse but not sure.

All the S class ships alternate. Someone came up with a way to save some space in the width of a cabin. By having a bump out go around the foot of the bed it allowed the cabins to be narrower in the other section. When there's a bump out close to the balcony on one cabin the next one will have the bump out close to the bath.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399498&stc=1&d=1480800189

This picture gives you an idea of the alternating bumps.

586812391_Alternatingcabins.jpg.0065f9e622dd53c339980f821c36a489.jpg

I'm still confused, but not on every deck, right?

Yes, every deck, except for where the place the suites, is a mirror image of each other, from Deck 6 up to Deck 11. All the cabins alternate bed by bath/balcony/bath/balcony, etc.

For example, if you check the deck plans, Stateroom 6215 had the bed by the balcony. The staterooms directly above, 7219, 8257, 9215, and 1605 all have bed by the balcony. On Deck 10, there is a suite.

The stateroom cabins are built in modules of two. If you've ever been on an S-Class ship, there is a little alcove for the two staterooms. As you enter the alcove, the stateroom on the right always has the bed by the bath, and the stateroom on the left always has the bed by the balcony.

Hope that's not too confusing. Since on Deck 11 where they have the Aqua Class Cabins, there are no fold out sofa beds or upper berths. So to determine which of those staterooms has bed by the bath/balcony, take a look at a corresponding stateroom on the deck below then count every other one.