SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

There actually isn't a situation where you are "expected to leave actual cash tips". In the case of room service many here tip but it's not a must and it's not really based on a percentage of the value of whatever you've ordered. For instance, every morning my wife and I usually order coffee, juice, and maybe croissant each. Typically I'll tip $2 to $4 but that's for the service and not so much on the perceived value of what is being delivered.

If you get fantastic service believe me you will want to leave a good cash tip.

About 25 years ago we were on a Carnival Mexican Riviera cruise with our 2 12 year old sons. Our waiter was so friendly, joking with the boys; he became their 'best bud'. At this time tipping was not automatic but there was some system whereby tips were given directly the last evening. I can't remember the details of how it was done.

The last morning the Main dining room doors were closed and a crowd gathered outside. We could hear someone shouting words to the effect that 'It doesn't matter what your tips were.' I formed the impression that some kind of mini-strike had started.

After a time the doors opened and we went to our assigned table. The change in our waiter was night to day. I guess our tips hadn't been sufficient because he never smiled, never looked at us but served us in a robotic way. It was very uncomfortable and our sons couldn't understand the reason why. It was just so obvious and my husband and I couldn't wait to leave. All that pretend friendliness, joking and laughing had been so fake; it had been all about the tips.

About 25 years ago we were on a Carnival Mexican Riviera cruise with our 2 12 year old sons. Our waiter was so friendly, joking with the boys; he became their 'best bud'. At this time tipping was not automatic but there was some system whereby tips were given directly the last evening. I can't remember the details of how it was done.

The last morning the Main dining room doors were closed and a crowd gathered outside. We could hear someone shouting words to the effect that 'It doesn't matter what your tips were.' I formed the impression that some kind of mini-strike had started.

After a time the doors opened and we went to our assigned table. The change in our waiter was night to day. I guess our tips hadn't been sufficient because he never smiled, never looked at us but served us in a robotic way. It was very uncomfortable and our sons couldn't understand the reason why. It was just so obvious and my husband and I couldn't wait to leave. All that pretend friendliness, joking and laughing had been so fake; it had been all about the tips.

I guess our tips must be memorable as we have been warmly greeted by name on day one on about every cruise.

Since you have no idea what transpired behind that closed door, you have no idea why your waiter was "robotic". It may in fact have been completely unrelated to what you thought you heard. (Maybe he'd just learned about a family member's illness, or been reprimanded unjustly, or was working while suffering a migraine.)

This is why tipping should be irrelevant to experiencing a good cruise or any product for that matter. Again, what are we paying for when we "purchase" a cruise?

I feel sorry for your boys and a reminder how shallow some people can be,what a shame.

That surprises me as I've always understood that mentions on a post cruise survey make far more difference to a crew member than the tips from any one cruise. Unless, 25 years ago when the surveys were on paper they needed to be turned in by the final night.

Roy

That surprises me as I've always understood that mentions on a post cruise survey make far more difference to a crew member than the tips from any one cruise. Unless, 25 years ago when the surveys were on paper they needed to be turned in by the final night.

Roy

It is less than 10 years ago when we filled in the paper surveys and posted them in a box next to GS.

Of course it is all about the tips - that's how they get paid. This is their job and they rely on the passengers to get paid for their jobs. Just like most of us would be very unhappy if we were told we weren't getting paid when we were / are at work, the crew on a ship aren't any different. Crews do not volunteer to be on the ship.

After a time the doors opened and we went to our assigned table. The change in our waiter was night to day. I guess our tips hadn't been sufficient because he never smiled

Even in those days of "manual" tipping, cruise lines provided guidelines laying out appropriate tips for various staff members. So when you say, "I guess our tips hadn't been sufficient...", did you follow the guidelines or tip less than what was suggested?

Cruise lines will continue to charge additional fees for service because they can. All major market cruise lines do it. I cruise both NCL and HAL. Some NCL cruisers were up in arms because they raised the service fees again. Then RCI raised theirs, etc etc. etc. It's not going away. Why not use your time and talents to impact something you can control. You can't control this one.

This is why those of us from 'non tipping countries' are so uncomfortable with tipping. Not just on cruise ships but land travel in the US can be traumatic. We have been abused by waiters for not leaving enough tip. We travel with a phone app to work out how much to tip!

At home if we have had good service we just round it up to the nearest $10.

Even in those days of "manual" tipping, cruise lines provided guidelines laying out appropriate tips for various staff members. So when you say, "I guess our tips hadn't been sufficient...", did you follow the guidelines or tip less than what was suggested?

I believe we didn't tip for our sons, just ourselves. As for guidelines, this was before the internet, cruise critic and many other sources of information. In hindsight, it seems obvious that a larger tip was expected but since the entire restaurant was shut down for over 20 minutes while the matter was dealt with, I suppose we weren't the only ones.

If I stop to think about it the entire subject is confusing. I don't tip flight attendants who serve me. When I deal with various people in a business situation I expect them to be professional and friendly. I guess I consider it part of the job or perhaps a requirement for people who work in a position that involves dealing with the public. Are we making up for low wages?

When we were at a resort in Mexico recently it seemed that everywhere we went people were holding open doors, bringing towels to the pool, passing over a pool noodle. We were scattering bills like snowflakes. I prefer the pre-paid gratuity situation that exists now but I notice that some people feel the right thing is to tip more in addition.

I believe we didn't tip for our sons, just ourselves. As for guidelines, this was before the internet, cruise critic and many other sources of information. In hindsight, it seems obvious that a larger tip was expected but since the entire restaurant was shut down for over 20 minutes while the matter was dealt with, I suppose we weren't the only ones.

If I stop to think about it the entire subject is confusing. I don't tip flight attendants who serve me. When I deal with various people in a business situation I expect them to be professional and friendly. I guess I consider it part of the job or perhaps a requirement for people who work in a position that involves dealing with the public. Are we making up for low wages?

When we were at a resort in Mexico recently it seemed that everywhere we went people were holding open doors, bringing towels to the pool, passing over a pool noodle. We were scattering bills like snowflakes. I prefer the pre-paid gratuity situation that exists now but I notice that some people feel the right thing is to tip more in addition.

Cruising is fantastic but the tipping issues do spoil the experience for some people.

• 2 weeks later...

It is my understanding that people from Australia and New Zealand must book cruises on different websites with higher fares and cannot book on the U.S. site. The cruise lines had difficulty staffing ships departing from down under unless they promised higher wages to compensate for reduced tips. Can anyone confirm this?

It is my understanding that people from Australia and New Zealand must book cruises on different websites with higher fares and cannot book on the U.S. site. The cruise lines had difficulty staffing ships departing from down under unless they promised higher wages to compensate for reduced tips. Can anyone confirm this?

The Australian and the New Zealanders do pay a higher rate

After reading about tipping here for 3 days, I'm ready to ask my question(s). First-time cruiser, so please forgive and don't yell at me!

1. I believe that tipping is NOT included in our cruise price. Instead, tipping is billed at the end of the cruise at $13 or so, per person per day.

2. HAL will just add that tipping bill onto whatever credit card I have on account with them.

3. When I check in, I have the option of NOT having the tips billed to us (Num 1 and 2 above)? Can we opt for this BEFORE check-in? Instead I will do ALL my tipping in cash as the service occurs.

4. No matter what, if I want to tip the room service, luggage guys, or waiters, I can leave them cash tips any time I want.

5. The main reason why tipping is such a hot topic on this message board is this: "If I already get charged for tipping at the end of the trip, why should I have to ALSO tip the waiters/workers ON TOP OF THAT during the week." Is that were the opinions differ?

My understanding, also a newbie here, after reading all of this and other threads if you cancel the HSC and you then give a room steward, waiter, etc a cash tip s/he must turn it in to the pool. If you don't cancel the $13.50 pppd HSC then you can tip further whatever you wish and they get to keep it. I'm sure that if I'm wrong I'll hear about it. lol

After reading all the tipping threads and the different view points I wonder if those who tip extra when they go into a restaurant on land and there's an automatic 18% service charge (tip) added do they tip extra. In that particular case I wouldn't but generally tip 20 - 25% for very good service so that waiter would lose out from me. Having said all that we have gone to all inclusive resorts around 14 times where "tips are included" in the price but we still tipped extra for room maid, waiters even in the buffet, and certainly in the a la carte restaurants, drink waiters, bell hops, etc.

After reading about tipping here for 3 days, I'm ready to ask my question(s). First-time cruiser, so please forgive and don't yell at me!

1. I believe that tipping is NOT included in our cruise price. Instead, tipping is billed at the end of the cruise at $13 or so, per person per day.

As a general practice, no, gratuities are not included in the cruise price. HAL will sometimes offer a promotion that includes pre-paid gratuities in the cruise price. The cruise price will generally clearly state this and your invoice may also state it.

2. HAL will just add that tipping bill onto whatever credit card I have on account with them.

3. When I check in, I have the option of NOT having the tips billed to us (Num 1 and 2 above)? Can we opt for this BEFORE check-in? Instead I will do ALL my tipping in cash as the service occurs.

When you check in, HAL creates an on-board charge account for you. HAL operates on a cash less basis. You charge your purchases to this on-board account using your cabin card. HAL charges your gratuities (HAL calls it a Hotel Service Charge) on a daily basis to this account.

When you check in, you will also be asked to register a charge card or debit card (you can pay cash, if you like) to your account. HAL will request a hold of $60 per day per adult passenger for every day of the cruise. At the end of the cruise, you will receive an invoice for all the charges applied to your account. You may simply let HAL charge the balance to the card you registered at check in or make alternate arrangements to pay the balance. Once you bill is paid, HAL will release the hold on your card.

I believe that you can only remove your gratuities at the end of the cruise or each segment of the cruise. This link explains it more: https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard%20Life&contentMenu=Money%20Matters&contentSubMenu=Is%20There%20A%20Hotel%20Service%20Charge%20(Gratuity%2FTip)#

You are free to tip in cash as you see fit. If you remove the daily gratuities and tip in cash, the crew member receiving the cash cannot keep it and is obligated to turn over the tip to the tip pool.

4. No matter what, if I want to tip the room service, luggage guys, or waiters, I can leave them cash tips any time I want.
Yes, this is correct.

5. The main reason why tipping is such a hot topic on this message board is this: "If I already get charged for tipping at the end of the trip, why should I have to ALSO tip the waiters/workers ON TOP OF THAT during the week." Is that were the opinions differ?
Yes, there are a lot of posters on this forum that regularly promote and encourage over tipping. A cruise worker stated last year that approximately 95% of passengers leave the daily tipping in place and simply pay it. If that is true, then IMO, tipping or lack of tipping isn't a problem on the ship.

When you check in, HAL creates an on-board charge account for you. HAL operates on a cash less basis. You charge your purchases to this on-board account using your cabin card. HAL charges your gratuities (HAL calls it a Hotel Service Charge) on a daily basis to this account.

When you check in, you will also be asked to register a charge card or debit card (you can pay cash, if you like) to your account. HAL will request a hold of $60 per day per adult passenger for every day of the cruise. At the end of the cruise, you will receive an invoice for all the charges applied to your account. You may simply let HAL charge the balance to the card you registered at check in or make alternate arrangements to pay the balance. Once you bill is paid, HAL will release the hold on your card.

CBR, thank you so much. Extremely helpful. I studied the link you sent, and it does state that we can "adjust that amount ($13.50) and the end." We'll probably leave HSC as is, but I wonder if the HAL checkout staff gives you a hard time at the end if you say "I tipped during the week, so please adjust that amount to Zero"??

This might all change, but my wife and I plan to use the included eateries and buffet for the duration. We're not drinkers either, so I can't see how we can possibly rack up $60 per day in charges. But I know it can happen.

Yes, there are a lot of posters on this forum that regularly promote and encourage over tipping. A cruise worker stated last year that approximately 95% of passengers leave the daily tipping in place and simply pay it. If that is true, then IMO, tipping or lack of tipping isn't a problem on the ship.

I'd like to think the 95% was true....but in Alaska this summer on the last afternoon and night the line of people at the desk never diminished. Maybe they were not all removing the gratuities but that was what it seemed like to me.

I'd like to think the 95% was true....but in Alaska this summer on the last afternoon and night the line of people at the desk never diminished. Maybe they were not all removing the gratuities but that was what it seemed like to me.

Maybe they were settling account charges, but people do remove auto gratuities :( and some don't even bother to give cash tips. Saving money. :(

The last night on our last cruise there was a long line up of people sorting out errors in the charges to their account. I knew this because I was sitting close to the desk, and almost everyone had that issue. I didn't hear anyone ask to remove the gratuities, but they could possibly have, or may have done it previously.