SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

Nothing difficult about.

1. Leave the HSC in place unless your service is terrible and you can't resolve by meeting with management.

2. Tip in addition as you see fit.

If you bothered to read my post you would see that that is exactly what I do.

What I commented on was 'tipping in general' which we in Australia don't do, and hopefully never will.

Edited by Stratheden

So cruise lines just charge you more, and you have no control over it if service is not good. You cannot remove even portion of tips in this case.

Not sure if it is and advantage

So cruise lines just charge you more, and you have no control over it if service is not good. You cannot remove even portion of tips in this case.

Not sure if it is and advantage

You certainly do something about poor service.

First, you should talk to the person rendering the service.

Second, if that doesn't provide satisfaction, talk with management.

Third, you can decrease or eliminate the HSC if all else fails.

You can do the same thing if your tips charged separately from your fare. If you feel like doing it. But knowing that there are other options which will affect compensation works better.

Actually it was even better 15 years ago when each service member was getting an envelope at the end of the cruise. They really tried to earn your tips. Service was even better.

You can do the same thing if your tips charged separately from your fare. If you feel like doing it. But knowing that there are other options which will affect compensation works better.

Actually it was even better 15 years ago when each service member was getting an envelope at the end of the cruise. They really tried to earn your tips. Service was even better.

I recall hearing i think it was P&O where passengers cut up pieces of paper and put them into tip envelopes so i can understand why crew now prefer autogratuities.

Why would they do this?

Nobody forced one to give an envelope although most people did.

At least on ships with predominantly North American crowd.

Why would they do this?

I don't think crew prefers autogratuity ... but cruise lines now want to cover ones behind the scene. They used to have very low salary. For example general cleaners were making about $450-500. I think cruise companies had problems hiring or keeping them.

Why would they do this?

I don't think crew prefers autogratuity ... but cruise lines now want to cover ones behind the scene. They used to have very low salary. For example general cleaners were making about $450-500. I think cruise companies had problems hiring or keeping them.

Certainly seems to be the case with the tip pool.

I recall hearing i think it was P&O where passengers cut up pieces of paper and put them into tip envelopes so i can understand why crew now prefer autogratuities.

And, it's been reported that many chose not to visit the MDR on the last night to avoid giving 'envelopes' to their waitstaff.

And, it's been reported that many chose not to visit the MDR on the last night to avoid giving 'envelopes' to their waitstaff.

I have seen that too and i have seen waiters disappointment when people do that thats why i believe in prepay or autogratuities so hard working crew are rewarded plus excellent staff get additional cash tips.

Nope. It is a part of American culture that has seeped into cruising. Many cultures disdain tipping as do I.

Then why cruise on an American affected cruise line?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Then why cruise on an American affected cruise line?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I hate going out to eat in restaurants but I do. I hate taking taxis but I do. Both "require" tipping. Why should I stay away from something I like doing (eating out, cruising, etc) because of tipping? However, I intend to: 1) announce to world any chance that I get that tipping borders on extortion and is reinforced by feelings of guilt, and 2) rally fellow cruisers to the same feelings. The more people that eschew tipping then the more the practice will stop. Note: I do not care what the cruise fare is so long as tipping (and any expectation of tipping) disappears.

Do NOT make that assumption. We seldom go to the MDR on the last night, preferring the Pinnacle Grill instead, so we - and our cruising friends - tip our servers and wine server on the last but one evening. And we tip in the PG as well

I have seen that too and i have seen waiters disappointment when people do that thats why i believe in prepay or autogratuities so hard working crew are rewarded plus excellent staff get additional cash tips.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

The last few times we have opted out of the MDR, but we informed our wait staff and popped back in with our envelopes on our way to alternative dining. I don't normally assume the worst of others because there is always a back story.

The last few times we have opted out of the MDR, but we informed our wait staff and popped back in with our envelopes on our way to alternative dining. I don't normally assume the worst of others because there is always a back story.

That is nice of you but i have experienced waiters asking where certain people are on last night and being disappointed.

I always remember one of our first cruises on Sunbird when a family of 6 got off the ship a day early and were laughing about it in the skybar on their last night.

On our last night the waiter was devastated when he found out because this was a 14 night cruise and he potentially could have expected a reasonable tip as he was a fantastic waiter.

Several of us other passengers organised a collection to help him.

Seriously?

Our last night on Veendam sailing from Québec City to Montreal was one of the best and featured dishes of famous chefs.

That is the menu that we dislike. Have been on 2 cruises with that menu and no way will I front up for it again.

I always remember one of our first cruises on Sunbird when a family of 6 got off the ship a day early and were laughing about it in the skybar on their last night.

On our last night the waiter was devastated when he found out because this was a 14 night cruise and he potentially could have expected a reasonable tip as he was a fantastic waiter.

Several of us other passengers organised a collection to help him.

That is sad. (And very nice of you.) It's unfortunate there are people like that in the world, but I believe you attract what you put out. Karma's a b. :)

I hate going out to eat in restaurants but I do. I hate taking taxis but I do. Both "require" tipping. Why should I stay away from something I like doing (eating out, cruising, etc) because of tipping? However, I intend to: 1) announce to world any chance that I get that tipping borders on extortion and is reinforced by feelings of guilt, and 2) rally fellow cruisers to the same feelings. The more people that eschew tipping then the more the practice will stop. Note: I do not care what the cruise fare is so long as tipping (and any expectation of tipping) disappears.

If you really don't care what the fare is and object to being around tipping, you might consider Crystal, Seabourn, or Silversea.

Roy

Note: I do not care what the cruise fare is so long as tipping (and any expectation of tipping) disappears.

Some of the rest of us DO care.

I, for one, don't want to see my fare increase by $25 pp/pd ($50 total with single supplement) in order to pre-pay the $13.50 per day (total) in HSC. That's no value to me.

Nope. It is a part of American culture that has seeped into cruising. Many cultures disdain tipping as do I.

Actually tipping originated in England. It became the custom for guests invited to the manor homes for the weekend to leave money for the servants who looked after them.

So says Wikipedia