Denied Boarding Holland America

Captsksier

I'm sorry that no one on the pier helped you go online and get one. Takes only minutes online, and problem solved.

How did this not apply to you too?

"...get one..." what? Are you talking about a visa or a voucher? Either way, I am not sure there are people "...on the pier..." who could accomplish either.

I'm sorry that no one on the pier helped you go online and get one. Takes only minutes online, and problem solved.

How did this not apply to you too?

No, someone can't just get a visa in a few minutes. It usually takes at least a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, someone can't just get a visa in a few minutes. It usually takes at least a few weeks.

If what was needed was actually an ETA (electronic travel authority) instead of a physical visa (e.g., for a US citizen entering Australia), it usually takes a few minutes to apply and get one online. Don't know how Canada does its version.

If what was needed was actually an ETA (electronic travel authority) instead of a physical visa (e.g., for a US citizen entering Australia), it usually takes a few minutes to apply and get one online. Don't know how Canada does its version.

Yup, but a visa is a visa; and I took the poster at his/her word.

How does one know if one needs a visa?

Signed, Visa Neophyte

If you are a US citizen, go to the US State Department website and there's a search feature. Or you can google the nearest consulate of whatever country you seek and visa (and any other requirements should be found there).

Of course, your cruise line deposit invoice (and/or TA invoice should list any special requirements for a cruise itinerary (e.g., ETA, visa, Rx limits/MD notes, inoculations, etc.)

To the OP

Call HAL ask for a Supervisor whether or not she needed a VISA is something you should have checked into ahead of time but having a REP at HAL hang up & be rude is another matter

I realized a long time ago that posters neglect to post all the facts until they are pushed to by other posters and even then it usually takes a dozen posts to actually get accurate info from an original poster

To the OP

Call HAL ask for a Supervisor whether or not she needed a VISA is something you should have checked into ahead of time but having a REP at HAL hang up & be rude is another matter

Do you think it's possible that the op was rude as well? Just asking not accusing

Remember there are always 3 sides to everything

But in the case of CC posts...sometimes even more

Long shot. First verify Canada requires a Visa. OP didn't give enough information. Next do you need a visa if you stay on the ship in Victoria.

Did you really on incorrect information contained on HALs website.

None of the above applies. Tell HAl you weren't planning on visiting Victoria, didn't realize you needed a visa and ask for an exception. Maybe a (small) part of your forfeited fare as an onboard credit towards a future cruise. Maybe ask why online check in didn't flag visa issue.

Sounds like HAL employee picked this up. I'd ask why HAL couldn't apply same screening during online check in

Do you think it's possible that the op was rude as well? Just asking not accusing

It is possible the OP may have been upset & maybe rude but still no reason for the REP to hang up on them they should have transferred him to a supervisor

Just imagine yourself at the check in counter at the port when they tell you that you cannot board the ship

I am sure most people could be rude along with being upset

Tell me you have never been rude when things go pear shaped ?

It is human nature

Just saying

Long shot. First verify Canada requires a Visa. OP didn't give enough information. Next do you need a visa if you stay on the ship in Victoria.

Some Citizens still need a VISA even transitting through Canada

So staying the ship may not be the answer

But doesn't the eTA only apply to flights in and out of Canada, and not land based crossing or ships?

If the eTA is only for flights, it must have been a visa issue for the stop in Victoria.

But doesn't the eTA only apply to flights in and out of Canada, and not land based crossing or ships?

If the eTA is only for flights, it must have been a visa issue for the stop in Victoria.

Yes, eTA only needed for air travel, not land or ship travel. OP's wife must be a citizen of a country outside the visa exempt scheme and need a full visa.

I believe that you need a visa whether or not you intend to go ashore at the port or not.

eTA issuance is very quick. I applied last night and it was issued within 10 minutes.

We need OP to come back with more information. At the moment it's all guess work on our part.

Re the speed of applying for something like an ESTA which is required for us UK citizens before we can enter the USA, it can take over 24 hours (or even longer) to get an approval.

It is possible the OP may have been upset & maybe rude but still no reason for the REP to hang up on them they should have transferred him to a supervisor

Just imagine yourself at the check in counter at the port when they tell you that you cannot board the ship

I am sure most people could be rude along with being upset

Tell me you have never been rude when things go pear shaped ?

It is human nature

Just saying

Assuming the rep did indeed hang up

3 sides to every story and call me cynical but I don't think we are getting all the facts

Again Canada denied them...apparently the wife was in Seattle which is the USA.

So aim your darts at Canada

I'm just a moderate reasonable thinker that can see there is more info needed regarding the denial

Canada caused the problem not HAL not the USA

The op should ask Canada for a voucher

My wife was denied boarding because she did not have a Canada Visa for a Alaska cruise out of Seattle, I am just trying to get a voucher for a future sailing. Any suggestions on how to go about this? They will not reply to my email and agent hung up on me when calling about this issue. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

They should have treated you politely when then said "no". Bottom line is that you messed up and the cruise line owes you nothing. As a 20 year "professional" in the airline industry, you should know that airplanes are different from ships.

DON

I'm just a moderate reasonable thinker that can see there is more info needed regarding the denial

Canada caused the problem not HAL not the USA

Actually, the OP or his wife caused the problem by not finding out that she needed a visa and then not applying for one. I don't care whether she's from Brazil, Costa Rica, Sri Lanka, or Thailand.

And an eTA is NOT a visa - it's specifically only available for people who DO NOT need a visa, just like US ESTA. These are both more streamlined versions of older Visa waiver programs, where folks from countries on an approved list just needed to fill out relatively minimal paperwork on arrival.

Also, it doesn't apply to sea or land travel or even flying OUT of Canada, only arrivals by air.

An expensive lesson for OP - who could, by the sounds of things, have boarded himself without his wife but did the nice thing ans stayed home too. Enough squeaky wheeling and perhaps a token compensation could be forthcoming, but by the terms of the contracts signed it's 100% passenger fault for not checking immigration requirements so even a voucher for a free drink is more than the cruiseline needs to provide...

Some posters want to be the OP's immigration attorney and contest the legality of being denied entry to Canada for lack of the required visa. I will trust the OP's implicit concession that HAL was correct in denying boarding according to the laws of Canada. His only question related to receiving some sort of voucher or future cruise benefit from HAL. Sadly, the chances are somewhere between minuscule and zilch for reasons many have named.

Over the years there have been numerous examples on cc of people being denied boarding for want of proper documentation - some of those people wanted a full or partial refund. The answer is always the same - sorry, but the responsibility for all documentation rests completely with the cruiser. Giving the OP a voucher would be unfair to all the other people who have missed a cruise for this reason. The cruise line policies are strict, but fair.

And of course, a phone rep should not be rude. But rude or not, the answer will not change. (Yes, as someone mentioned, at least three sides to every story.)