NCL BLISS - Alaska! No Glacier Bay

ps4125

Bliss is too big for glacier bay.

we did alaska on the Sun.

going back the second time this year on Jewel for the other, non glacier bay itinerary.

False.

Perhaps or mistakenly the NCL BLISS is too big for TA really tight up that fjord.

But as for GB should be accessible by all ships and remember the limit of -2- ships daily.

Maybe NCL can have only one slot sharing the other slot with another cruise line.

The competition for slots must be terrific. Remember Princess and Holland-America owned

by Carnival have been sailing Alaska waters before NCL and have put some infrastructure in

the tourist operation think seniority and also size of ships !

But what do I know I pilot a 17 foot canoe on the upper waters of the Mississippi river.

• 1 month later...
We are considering a cruise to Alaska and really really want to travel on NCL's newest ship, Bliss. Unfortunately, Bliss doesn't go through Glacier Bay. We've never been on an Alaskan cruise. From everything I've read so far, people make it sound as if the inside passage is a horror and if you don't go through Glacier Bay you shouldn't bother at all. Thoughts? The pics and videos of the NCL Sun are less than impressive and Bliss looks spectacular. What to do, what to do.

I am booked on that boat, I thought it did go through the glaciers? From looking at all the tours at the ports, you are going to see plenty of glaciers, they are everywhere.

I think some new NCL cruisers occasionally confuse "Inside Passage" to mean "Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier" because of the way NCL markets them -- and the "horror" being that sometimes the ships don't get close to Sawyer due to ice floes.

7-Day Alaska with Glacier Bay from Seattle (Pearl)

and

7-Day Alaska with Inside Passage from Seattle (Jewel)

Not to mention the route depicted on the NCL page is wrong for Jewel. Never have I traveled this route on Jewel.

jewel-route.gif

The last time I sailed this route was in 2002 on the Sky our very first cruise :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks phissy, unfortunately all aft (and large balcony) cabins are sold out. Currently booked in mid ship balcony port, not sure if starboard would be better. Still have plenty of time to change cabins. Thanks

The Sawyer (Tracy Arm) glacier is going to be no problem for either side of ship.

The Bliss will go up a narrow fjord to see the glacier (or pieces and parts of it) and

then return back the same way. The scenery will be equally nice - the only foreseen

problem will be the photo opts with diminishing daylight if done late in the day -

but with digital cameras not much of problem even then - beautiful sunset photos !

LINK: to Tracy Arm Sawyer Glacier:

http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/images/tracy_arm-aerial.html

Thanks phissy, unfortunately all aft (and large balcony) cabins are sold out. Currently booked in mid ship balcony port, not sure if starboard would be better. Still have plenty of time to change cabins. Thanks

we did Starboard as we went north (Vancouver to Seward).

however, wehn you are before a Glacier, the ship turns around so that everyone gets a view. But really, the best place to be isnt on your balcony but rather up on the upper decks where you can have a panoramic view.

There is much to do and see in Alaska .I chose to do a BTB years ago and we went to college Fjord where there are many many glaciers to view once at daybreak once later in the day

I also did Whittier glaciers and had a margarita made with glacial ice ,...yummy and great experience ...saw glacier calve too ....wow ...snow thinder

The Yukon was spectacular ....I loved Sitka and Juneau for the whales at Auke bay ....stupendous ..those critters are reeeeeeal big ..they came right next to our boat to feed ...wow that was something

Alaska is great ...inside passage the way to go ...I loved the majestic scenery along BC coast plus Vancouver sty is a must ...we loved it

Enjoy

I just wanted to add, Tracy Arm/Sawyer glacier is gorgeous. Glacier Bay is that times 2! Depending on the time of year, though, you may not get to see either. On our last Alaskan cruise we ended up going to Dawes Glacier. What a letdown! But the ship could not get in to Sawyer due to ice. We went in May.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

If you're doing the Alaska cruise just to cross it off the list, then do the round trip SEA or YVR. But if you really want to see Glaciers, do a one-way (preferably) north bound. Airfare out of Anchorage isn't too bad, but it will probably add an additional connect to your flight though.

I am booked on that boat, I thought it did go through the glaciers? From looking at all the tours at the ports, you are going to see plenty of glaciers, they are everywhere.

sorry no, glaciers aren't "everywhere".

There are a lot of posts on this thread that are "interesting", especially the Glacier Bay "must" people. I will ask- have these Alaska cruisers been to ALL the glacier areas sailed by cruise ships? I'll speculate no for most.

In my opinion, since glaciers are in a constant state of change each cruise is going to be different, and certainly each of these areas are worthwhile to see and experience. With Tracy Arm- it is of significant benefit to purchase the add on ship tour, grossly superior to the cruise ship transit. These cruises certainly have numerous rave reviews.

Alaska is NOT a one time trip, it really requires multiple visits since there is so much to see. EVERY cruise is going to be a compromise. So, I suggest, looking at the ENTIRE itinerary, price, date, time in ports, glacier etc and not just focus on a "Glacier Bay" sailing. Those who claim they won't sail without this- oh well, you are eliminating some excellent choices.

Don't be so swayed by claims that non Glacier Bay crusies are sloppy seconds, it can be the opinion is from someone who hasn't even been to all the other areas.. I have and definitely encourage you to make the choices that are right for YOU.

Agree with BQ 100%.

Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier was our first Alaska cruise. We have since returned there 3 times, and will return there again for a 4th time in September. It is truly an amazing place and captures the same awe-inspiring experience of nature in Alaska every bit as much as Glacier Bay. They are both on very equal footing.

When I was in Alaska in May, we couldn't get into Tracy Arm, but went to Endicott instead. It was awe inspiring, and didn't even think about what I might have missed.

We did Endicott on the Jewel last year. It was our first "Alaska" cruise. My wife and I both thought it was spectacular!

Here are two links for my video's One is a time-lapse, the other is a 20 minute condensed version of the cruise

we are definitely looking forward to the "other" alaska itinerary, but for us it was important to do Glacier Bay which is why we did the one way Sun the first time. honestly, we are only returning becuase we had such bad weather last time we couldnt do several things we had hoped to do. 6 days of pouring rain. the only sunny day fortunately was Glacier Bay.

The one thing about Glacier Bay is that the bay and glaciers are so big! Awe inspiring doesn't begin to explain viewing it. I saw it September 2006, and would go back in a heartbeat to see it again, especially to see how it has changed. But I missed Sawyer, Endicott, et.al, and I'm sure I missed something awe inspiring there.

Glacier Bay is strictly controlled, and we were told by our Ranger ships can't enter until seals have weaned their pups, so early season cruises can't venture far into the Bay, if at all.

So, when you go might be as important as which ship you want to take. If for some reason the cruise you take can't go to Glacier Bay, you won't be cheated of fantastic scenery.

Glacier Bay is strictly controlled, and we were told by our Ranger ships can't enter until seals have weaned their pups, so early season cruises can't venture far into the Bay, if at all.

So, when you go might be as important as which ship you want to take. If for some reason the cruise you take can't go to Glacier Bay, you won't be cheated of fantastic scenery.

Sorry, you are inaccurate. Simply ONLY the John Hopkins Glacier from the turn at the inlet -5 miles, is closed for the harbor seal sanctuary until Sept 1, . The Tar Inlet is open for ships to stall right in front of the Margerie and Grand Pacific. And most ships stall by the Lamplugh Glacier. Many people simply miss the Reid Glacier.

When I was in Alaska in May, we couldn't get into Tracy Arm, but went to Endicott instead. It was awe inspiring, and didn't even think about what I might have missed.

We are going to Alaska on the Bliss in early June next year (the itinerary states we will be in Juneau on June 5 and then cruise Sawyer Glacier after leaving Juneau in the afternoon). Since that date too is so early in the season I am wondering if we will be able to get into Tracy Arm. We shall see.

We did Endicott on the Jewel last year. It was our first "Alaska" cruise. My wife and I both thought it was spectacular!

Here are two links for my video's One is a time-lapse, the other is a 20 minute condensed version of the cruise

Thanks for the great videos, Laszlo. We have already been to Glacier Bay, so regardless of which glacier we end up seeing next year (Sawyer or Endicott as the alternative if it is still too icy to get into Tracy Arm) we are excited that either one will be something new for us! The scenery is going to be spectacular regardless! :)

Sorry, you are inaccurate. Simply ONLY the John Hopkins Glacier from the turn at the inlet -5 miles, is closed for the harbor seal sanctuary until Sept 1, . The Tar Inlet is open for ships to stall right in front of the Margerie and Grand Pacific. And most ships stall by the Lamplugh Glacier. Many people simply miss the Reid Glacier.

Thanks for the correction. I probably misunderstood. And it was in 2006, so I may be having a Senior moment! I really do need to go back, so we're looking into next year.