NCL BLISS - Alaska! No Glacier Bay

ps4125

We are considering a cruise to Alaska and really really want to travel on NCL's newest ship, Bliss. Unfortunately, Bliss doesn't go through Glacier Bay. We've never been on an Alaskan cruise. From everything I've read so far, people make it sound as if the inside passage is a horror and if you don't go through Glacier Bay you shouldn't bother at all. Thoughts? The pics and videos of the NCL Sun are less than impressive and Bliss looks spectacular. What to do, what to do.

Pearl has traditionally done Glacier Bay and Jewel has traditionally done Tracy Arm.

Bliss is replacing Jewel.

No brainer.

While I understand the attraction to the new ship, Alaska should be done for the destination rather than the ship. Of course, the alternative is to do both GB and TA itineraries.

If I had to choose just one, I agree with most that Glacier Bay is probably the first choice. That said, Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier is a very special destination. DW and I are returning to that itinerary for the third time this September.

The inside passage is where you want to be. Not the open ocean like the Jewel and Bliss. NCL is funny. Their route maps show the ship going inside, but it doesn't. We've sailed on the Jewel to Alaska the past two years

The best itinerary would be northbound Sun from Vancouver to Seward. Do Glacier bay. Take the domed train back to anchorage or better yet, to Denali.

We are considering a cruise to Alaska and really really want to travel on NCL's newest ship, Bliss. Unfortunately, Bliss doesn't go through Glacier Bay. We've never been on an Alaskan cruise. From everything I've read so far, people make it sound as if the inside passage is a horror and if you don't go through Glacier Bay you shouldn't bother at all. Thoughts? The pics and videos of the NCL Sun are less than impressive and Bliss looks spectacular. What to do, what to do.

Tracey Arm was great, check out my two videos...... Jump to 2:40 in this video...

I have not been to Alaska but from what I have read, the issue with Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier is that actually getting close enough to see the glaciers is iffy. Both weather and lack of ice-free water for a cruise ship can be problems, and I would guess that would be even riskier for a large ship like Bliss. I have not seen any reports that people cruised Glacier Bay and weren't able to get close to the glaciers because of ice, although (again) fog is an issue occasionally.

I got that same advice about picking a cruise for the itinerary rather than the ship and acted on it for our upcoming first Alaska cruise. I really wanted Glacier Bay and NCL had the great 3rd/4th free option that let our children come along. Norwegian isn't my first choice of cruise line and Pearl has features that don't thrill me, but I am totally excited about the itinerary and can spend the sea days watching the amazing Alaska scenery from my balcony. Plus I would put up with a LOT more than a not-very-exciting ship to be able to enjoy what will likely be our last family vacation. (My kids are adults and will hopefully marry and start their own families soon.)

If glaciers aren't a big reason you want to go to Alaska, or if you will be happy with something like a flightseeing excursion, then you will likely be content with Bliss. If not, you may need to put off cruising on Bliss.

If you really want glaciers the way to do it is on a one way cruise. You will get a couple on the cruise and then in either Seward or Whitter you can get day trip that will get you up close and personal with some wonderful glaciers.

The inside passage is where you want to be. Not the open ocean like the Jewel and Bliss. NCL is funny. Their route maps show the ship going inside, but it doesn't. We've sailed on the Jewel to Alaska the past two years

The best itinerary would be northbound Sun from Vancouver to Seward. Do Glacier bay. Take the domed train back to anchorage or better yet, to Denali.

ALL Alaska cruises (including NCL) do the Inside Passage. The route between the ports (and over to Glacier Bay) IS the Inside Passage. You can't reach any of the ports without cruising at least parts of the Inside Passage.

There is one section of "open" ocean that must be crossed when cruising from Seattle or Vancouver - that is the passage between the north end of Vancouver island and the south end of Graham island. Ships leaving Seattle generally sail up the strait of Juan de Fuca and around the west side of Vancouver island. Ships leaving Vancouver have the option of going up the east side of Vancouver island and through the Johnstone strait.

If you're only going to do one Alaska cruise, then you really, really should do Glacier Bay.

Not sure what you've read about the Inside Passage being a "horror." How so? The waters are calm and protected. The scenery all around you is, to say the least, beautiful and awe inspiring. You'll often see all kinds of wildlife. It's truly an amazing place.

IMO, Alaska is the destination. Not the ship. But that's just me.

If you're only going to do one Alaska cruise, then you really, really should do Glacier Bay.

Not sure what you've read about the Inside Passage being a "horror." How so?

I think some new NCL cruisers occasionally confuse "Inside Passage" to mean "Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier" because of the way NCL markets them -- and the "horror" being that sometimes the ships don't get close to Sawyer due to ice floes.

7-Day Alaska with Glacier Bay from Seattle (Pearl)

and

7-Day Alaska with Inside Passage from Seattle (Jewel)

Not to mention the route depicted on the NCL page is wrong for Jewel. Never have I traveled this route on Jewel.

jewel-route.gif

If you really want glaciers the way to do it is on a one way cruise. You will get a couple on the cruise and then in either Seward or Whitter you can get day trip that will get you up close and personal with some wonderful glaciers.

Yes, the "23 Glaciers" day trip out of Whittier will give you a surfeit of Glaciers and wildlife:D

https://www.phillipscruises.com

I feel your pain ! There is a 9 day itinerary on the Sun that includes all of the ports I want to visit BUT it doesn't go into GB. WHY? It's so close! I am seriously considering booking it anyway because it's at the right time and for the right price. We will definitely do a glacier excursion to hopefully somewhat make up for not sailing into GB...but I'm hesitating because of no GB. The ncl agent was trying to talk me into booking bliss but i was like why would I do that? No GB and no Sitka? These are my priorities.

Also the Sun...no indoor pool. How is she in cold or cooler weather for those who have done Alaska on her?

A one-way isn't feasible financially or time-wise for everyone - wasn't for us but I'm looking forward to our upcoming RT Seattle.

Hah?

The Sun 7-day one-way itineraries are the best that NCL has to offer. The Jewel/Bliss and Pearl spend too much time in open ocean. And have to make the mini stops in Victoria to qualify for an international cruise. Those stops are a waste of a day.

We are sailing in July to Glacier Bay according to our itinerary! I understand it's an absolute must to see in Alaska!! We are going on the Sun. It's our first cruise but I understand the Sun is fine for this trip. We leave Vancouver and end in Seward! Happy sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been on 6 cruises to Alaska, round trip out of Seattle.

I know many folks won't agree with our preferences, but ......

We prefer Hubbard Glacier (our top choice) and

2nd choice, Sawyer Glacier and

3rd choice, Glacier Bay

4th choice, Endicott Arm to Marjorie Glacier

(visited this as ice kept us out of Sawyer Glacier)

The closest the Captain got to a glacier was at Hubbard Glacier, aboard

the Holland America Amsterdam. Nice smaller ship. The view from up front of

the ship took your breath away! We had lots and lots of loud, thundering

calving!!

Sawyer Glacier takes you through a couple hours of back-and-forth

through fjords, with awesome cliffs going up each side. Simply breathtaking.

We absolutely loved it. The actual glacier, itself, wasn't all that

impressive to me. Maybe the Captain wasn't able to get real

close up because of ice??? Not sure.

One thing about Sawyer Glacier is that it can

often not be accessed due to ice, even in mid-summer. We

were diverted to Endicott Arm Marjorie Glacier in mid-July.

Glacier Bay is really beautiful. I don't think it ever gets iced over,

causing no access. It's a really big, wide bay. I could be wrong

about that, though. On NCL, they bring aboard Naturalist Rangers to

narrate as you proceed, and Naturalists are on the upper deck to

answer questions. If you are going early in the Alaska cruising

season, Glacier Bay would especially be a very good choice!

We did Glacier Bay on the Sun last September, it was fantastic. Don't miss it.

You arrive early in the morning and go through the bay until the late afternoon. There is lots of wildlife, one magnificent glacier and a couple more as well. We also saw the Hubbard Glacier, which is pretty good, but that is a shorter visit.

The Sun is a nice ship, good food.