When do you earn Le Club points?

Post it

[*]As a Discoverer Plus member in Le Club Voyage, the internet allowance was reduced to 120 minutes per sailing... At Celebrity's equivalent Elite Plus membership tier, the internet allowance was and is 240 minutes... That two-fold difference may not seem material when traveling as a couple with each receiving the same allowance but--as a solo [as I tend to sail] who gets a single allotment even when paying a 100% fare supplement--it got pretty thin on an 18 night cruise [less than 7 minutes/day; perhaps service has improved after the dry dock but, at the time, one couldn't necessarily sign in within 7 minutes]... My request to apply the value of the allotment to an upgraded package-- was refused; I could instead purchase a higher priced package [on a per minute basis] once the loyalty allowance was exhausted... As a Discoverer Platinum member in Le Club Voyage, the internet allowance is 150 minutes per member, as a Zenith member in Celebrity's Captain's Club, the allowance is "unlimited" regardless of cruise length...

[*]As a Discoverer Plus or Discoverer Platinum member in Le Club Voyage, the laundry allowance is one bag--per stateroom--per seven nights... At Celebrity's Elite Plus membership tier, the laundry allowance is two bags per member regardless of cruise length; at Celebrity's Zenith membership tier, laundry is "unlimited"...

I'll concentrate on this part of your post because the rest isn't relevant to the thread. I'm not sure if you are aware that Azamara are now trialling being able to use your LCV internet allowance against the price of an unlimited package. If you receive 150 free internet minutes then you can get $150 off the price of an unlimited package (that can be bought at any time during the cruise) or you can just keep and use your free minutes. This has just started on Journey and was on my last cruise. This goes some way to sorting the issue. It's something I've taken up with the Miami office in the past and I'd like to think they do listen to us. Free laundry? I've mentioned that too, but so far no plans for it AFAIK. There are still some anomalies between Captain's Club and Le Club Voyage, but I much prefer the Azamara product now.

The bulkier number of free nights are very useful. I'm not sure yet how the smaller amount is going to work out because you pay full fare for the balance of nights. Any special offers do not apply. Therefore if you are taking 10 night cruise and get 3 free nights then you will be paying 7 nights full fare versus 10 nights with any offers that might be around at the time. It might not be worth it. Better off booking a three or four night cruise with them, but there aren't many of those. Will see how it works out when the time comes. I know this will have relevance to poster Xport.

Because of this issue, we found it best to book a b2b and use the free nights as part of the package on one of the cruises.

However, clearly this approach would be difficult for many lack who lack our flexibility in terms of work schedules.

I have been a loyal cruiser to Azamara but still have not reaped the benefits of Le Club Voyage.

I have two cruises on celebrity and 12 on Azamara. When they separated the programs, and converted our points… We got fewer points than if we had sailed on celebrity. It made no sense to me, especially since the price points of the two products are very different. Our Internet minutes got cut drastically and even when we do get to the next level it will never be what we had. Again, I don't understand why at the same level at celebrity when the price point is lower you get more. Back in 2013 when they changed the program, it really hit us with our points. Then there was another moment in time in 2014/2015 (that I did not realize) they made yet another change. I guess what frustrates me is that if I had started cruising with Azamara later, I would be at a higher level in LCV. But, since we were earlier cruisers, we were penalized in the conversion of points. For example....my 2014 14 day balcony was 42 points. My 8 day balcony in 2016 is 40. There was nothing different about as Azamara at that time. Why the discrepancy in points? Like I said, the earlier you cruised the less benefits you are getting now and takes you longer to achieve status. Where is the recognition for loyalty? Less free laundry than celebrity, less internet, fewer points......but, a much higher price point. I just don't get it.

But, since we were earlier cruisers, we were penalized in the conversion of points. For example....my 2014 14 day balcony was 42 points. My 8 day balcony in 2016 is 40. There was nothing different about as Azamara at that time. Why the discrepancy in points?

When Celebrity revamped their Captain's Club program in November 2013--including conversion from "Cruise Credits" to "Cruise Points", the addition of two membership tiers for established cruisers [Elite Plus and Zenith], and revised benefits--Azamara had little choice but to follow suit if they wanted to continue to share Celebrity's loyalty accounting system [as they did] rather than to build a system of their own...

Here's the hisory...

• All "Cruise Credits"--whether earned on Celebrity or Azamara--were converted to "Cruise Points" at a rate of thirty new "Cruise Points" per one former "Cruise Credit"... As I recall, both lines awarded one "Cruise Credit" for sailing, an additional "Cruise Credit" for cruises of twelve nights or longer, and/or a third--to a maximum of three/cruise--based upon level of accommodation... Celebrity granted an additional "Cruise Credit"--regardless of cruise duration--for sailings in Concierge Class, AquaClass, or a Suite... Historically, Azamara granted the additional "Cruise Credit" only to those sailing in a Suite [Veranda Cabins, regardless of classification (ie; V1, V2, V3), were excluded]...
  • Coincident with Celebrity's revision, Azamara added two new loyalty levels--Discoverer Plus and Discoverer Platinum--to "fit" the revised loyalty accounting system... As they were not yet ready to unveil a revised Le Club Voyage [as was introduced, as I recall, in September 2014], those with Discoverer, Discoverer Plus, and Discoverer Platinum tier membership were--for a time--all provided with the benefits associated with Azamara's "former top" Discoverer tier... During that interval, Azamara awarded three new "Cruise Points" per night for all veranda cabins; on Celebrity, standard veranda cabins earned then--and still do--three new "Cruise Points" per night while Concierge Class and AquaClass veranda cabins earned/earn five new "Cruise Points" per night with suites, varying by level, earning more [as is true on Azamara]...
  • At the time, there was substantial discussion on this forum suggesting that the disparity between Azamara's "Cruise Point" accrual to occupants of veranda cabins and Celebrity's higher "Cruise Point" accrual to occupants of Concierge and AquaClass cabins was "unfair" given that Azamara's prices for a veranda cabin are [often, but not always] higher... Seemingly, no one noted that the same sort of disparity existed under the prior "Cruise Credit" arrangement...
  • I don't recall the exact related chronology but Azamara listened and, perhaps it was coincident with the rollout of the revised Le Club Voyage, increased the daily "Cruise Point" accrual to veranda cabin occupants from three/night to five/night... Unsure of the exact implementation date but think it might have been for cruises commencing on and after 1 January 2015... At the time, Azamara announced that they would not be making adjustments for cruises at the lower "Cruise Point" accrual rate that was previously applied to veranda cabin occupancy...

So I believe this history--coupled with your cruise dates--explains the difference that you have noted [14 X 3 = 42; 8 X 5 = 40; both cruises apparently in a veranda stateroom]... You are not alone in your experience; it impacted me--and no doubt, thousands of others--too...

Hope this helps...

We only came to Celebrity and Azamara in 2010 having principally cruised with P&O and Princess previously, they also at the time had loyalty schemes that were reciprocal but to get to the top level you had to complete 150 days onboard and there was no extras for the higher accommodation levels. So we initially found the Celebrity/Azamara scheme odd in that it was comparatively easy to achieve Elite status, 14 on Celebrity in Aqua gave us 3 points as did 12 days in CC Suite on Azamara then bizarrely 4 days on Celebrity in Aqua scored another 2 points, so after just 3 cruises and 30 days we were two points off of top level.

However looking back when the scheme was changed and points converted it went odd. Four days in Aqua on Celebrity converted to 16 whilst 10 days on Azamara in a balcony became 8, even stranger 7 days in a suite on Celebrity Xpedition was also only 16. This only became of importance as there were two new levels to achieve, and the problem was compounded in 2014 before the Azamara scheme could catch up, 7 days on Celebrity in Concierge was rewarded with 35 points whilst 7 days on Azamara in a balcony only 21.

We don't have a major problem with the benefits of either scheme, it would be nice to retain some of the LCV benefits as well as the suite benefits when in a suite as after all the benefits are for different reasons! But we have learned to live with it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure if you are aware that Azamara are now trialling being able to use your LCV internet allowance against the price of an unlimited package. If you receive 150 free internet minutes then you can get $150 off the price of an unlimited package (that can be bought at any time during the cruise) or you can just keep and use your free minutes. This has just started on Journey and was on my last cruise. This goes some way to sorting the issue. It's something I've taken up with the Miami office in the past and I'd like to think they do listen to us.

I was not aware that Azamara is piloting such a change; the $1 per minute conversion strikes me as generous and--for an internet user like me [i sure don't need "unlimited"]--it would go a long way in softening the differences... I know that I too discussed the matter--either with the Hotel Director or Guest Relations Manager--during my last Azamara cruise...

Laundry improvements would be nice but at least I know the rules... Prior to my last Azamara cruise, I phoned Azamara [Nicole was not yet in her new role; she joined a few weeks prior to my departure] and asked about my laundry allowance--I wanted to pack accordingly--given that I was doing consecutive cruises [12 and 18 nights]... I was told that the cruises would be considered on a combined basis [four bags] but--once aboard--strict adherence to the "per week per cruise" rules were in effect [three bags]... Not the end of the world--and I didn't go broke--but it was a surprise...

Just a bit of "backfill" in response to one of your earlier posts...

• Yes, I have earned the "free" Zenith cruise from Celebrity but haven't taken it [or had my "induction"; apparently it's quite an event] yet...
  • Long ago, I got over the personal irritation that I had relative to Azamara's 50% Rule to qualify for "Free Nights" and now consider it an intellectual curiosity... I still don't get it in the context of promoting penalty-free movement of guests between sister lines and, now that it's been implemented, I still don't get that Celebrity hasn't followed suit [or, for that matter, implemented rules related to Azamara cruisers who have benefited from "free nights" upon earlier tier changes]... There are scenarios--especially when combined with the quantum differences in Celebrity's onboard benefits accorded to Zenith/Discoverer Platinum members--in which a person who has done a majority of cruises with Azamara may well find that Celebrity's combined benefits provide equal/greater value...
  • In my own case, introduction of the revised Le Club Voyage program occurred just as I was upping my Azamara patronage [i don't lead or need a "near luxury" life] to take advantage of more intriguing itineraries and small ship port advantage... But when I realized that--based upon my sailing history at the time--the best I could ever do with Azamara was three "free nights" at 3750 Cruise Points [i sure won't make 6,000!] if I sailed Azamara virtually exclusively, I decided to consolidate my patronage with the line that most values/rewards my loyalty... I cancelled several cruises with Azamara and booked roughly equivalent cruises with Celebrity... No harm/no foul; we--individually or as a business entity--all make decisions to our best interests and live with any consequences that may derive from those decisions...

In hindsight, I wish that I had acknowledged your first post on this thread with a "thank you" and skipped my editorial comments... Your post resonated with me as I've recently exchanged correspondence with cruise friends who just completed their first Azamara cruise... They loved it but hastened to add that they were unaware/didn't expect that "reciprocity" [they read about it on this forum] doesn't entail reciprocal benefits like laundry/internet allowances and that there are LCV benefits for which some will not qualify..

I don't read every thread on this forum--in fact, I rarely visit these days--but to the best of my observation, your initial post here is the first to mention that reciprocity differences do exist... People may or may not be influenced by those differences but at least they know what to expect...

I appreciate your honest/accurate contributions relative to the sweeping and sometimes unintentionally misleading assertions that often occur--not just on this forum--on Cruise Critic... Your input is always "on point" and valuable to those who appreciate--or should appreciate--the details...

Celebrity also allows a trade for loyalty internet minutes against an unlimited package. On Constellation earlier this month we received a 35% discount from the $249 cost for a 9 night cruise. So we received about $87 value for our 240 minutes, so that the Azamara deal looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you Xport for the explanation.

Yes, I was one of the vocal customers when they were making the changes. Very frustrating since customers who have fewer cruises than we do, but started cruising later have higher status. It is really about the benefits they took away. I am not sure how Azamara is supposed to be the higher end cruise line but the loyalty benefits are richer with Celebrity.

It is nice to hear they are looking at a change with the internet. We were just on the Quest and that was not an option ad not mentioned.

But....something has to change with the laundry. The bags have gotten smaller and we will be on the ship for 25 days. Even though my husband and myself both have loyalty and paid two fares, we have to share a laundry bag. We get three small bags for 25 days. I'm not sure how my husbands laundry will get done. Lol.

It's worth pointing out that free nights aren't a given. 50% or more of your cruises must have been on Azamara so those that have done a few Celebrity cruises to accrue points may not qualify for them.

OK, just to be clear as we're new to Azamara. What exactly constitutes 50%? Here's what Azamara says on their website:

"To earn complimentary nights, members must have 50% of their past voyages on Azamara, must have sailed with Azamara within the past 3 years, and must have moved up in tier on or after January 1, 2015. Terms may vary by country."

It sounds like the number of cruises according to the website Terms and Conditions. But just to be sure is it the number of accrued points or the number of days or the number of cruises accumulated on Azamara vs Celebrity?

Thank you Xport for the explanation.

Yes, I was one of the vocal customers when they were making the changes. Very frustrating since customers who have fewer cruises than we do, but started cruising later have higher status. It is really about the benefits they took away. I am not sure how Azamara is supposed to be the higher end cruise line but the loyalty benefits are richer with Celebrity.

It is nice to hear they are looking at a change with the internet. We were just on the Quest and that was not an option ad not mentioned.

But....something has to change with the laundry. The bags have gotten smaller and we will be on the ship for 25 days. Even though my husband and myself both have loyalty and paid two fares, we have to share a laundry bag. We get three small bags for 25 days. I'm not sure how my husbands laundry will get done. Lol.

I found it amazing how much I can get in a laundry bag if I cram it in. Last November I got a massive amount in my two bags over the two weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Xport

I take it you are now Zenith- are you saying you get your free Celebrity cruise and your free Azamara nights? I thought it was either/or though not sure how you'd record your choice.

OK, just to be clear as we're new to Azamara. What exactly constitutes 50%? Here's what Azamara says on their website:

"To earn complimentary nights, members must have 50% of their past voyages on Azamara, must have sailed with Azamara within the past 3 years, and must have moved up in tier on or after January 1, 2015. Terms may vary by country."

It sounds like the number of cruises according to the website Terms and Conditions. But just to be sure is it the number of accrued points or the number of days or the number of cruises accumulated on Azamara vs Celebrity?

Yes, number of cruises.

Xport

I take it you are now Zenith- are you saying you get your free Celebrity cruise and your free Azamara nights? I thought it was either/or though not sure how you'd record your choice.

It is either or and they kind of make the choice for you depending upon how many cruises you have for each line at the point of crossing the threshold. At least that is how understood it.

Yes, number of cruises.

Thank you, I wasn't sure about that but it does appear a bit simplistic. So if you had for example 5 x 4 day cruises on Celebrity (20 days) and 4 x 14 day cruises on Azamara (56 days) this would not constitute 50%? I think any one in that situation would be miffed!

I know the most traveled passenger is based on cruises and always thought that could be contentious.

Thank you, I wasn't sure about that but it does appear a bit simplistic. So if you had for example 5 x 4 day cruises on Celebrity (20 days) and 4 x 14 day cruises on Azamara (56 days) this would not constitute 50%? I think any one in that situation would be miffed!

I know the most traveled passenger is based on cruises and always thought that could be contentious.

They picked number of cruises, it is what it is.

Had they picked days as you suggest, someone would argue days in a suite should count more than days in an inside cabin - it's always easy to find a way to challenge something.

Xport

Upon attaining Zenith tier in Captain's Club/Discoverer Platinum tier in Le Club Voyage, it is one or the other... The difference, as you know, is that Celebrity offers their "free seven night cruise to Bermuda or the Caribbean" [it is my understanding that the "cash" equivalent can be applied to longer cruises and/or other itineraries] without application of the "50% Rule" that Azamara uses [i was told while aboard in early 2015 that it would be determined based upon "Cruise Points", a poster here suggests that it may instead be based upon number of cruises (perhaps it's changed; perhaps I was misinformed)] in establishing eligibility for "free nights"...

In my case, I was already at twice the threshold for Elite Plus/Discoverer Plus membership and half-way to Zenith/Discover Platinum membership when the new loyalty tiers were added by both lines in November 2013... When Azamara redefined Le Club Voyage tier benefits--including introduction of the "free nights" with "50% Rule" concept--in September 2014, it was statistically impossible [as it was in November 2013; in the interim, I'd completed an additional 28 nights with Azamara/19 with Celebrity] for me to qualify for "free nights" with Azamara--even if I were to book with them exclusively--by the time [and at the time, if]--I would reach Zenith/Discoverer Platinum membership... Whether "free cruise" or "free nights", the benefit must be redeemed [which I believe is interpreted as "booked"] within twelve months of having changed membership tier [or in the case of Azamara, after having qualified for an intermittent "free nights" benefit; as the ones granted after attaining 1,500 or 2,250 "Cruise Points"]...

When I realized that my earliest--and perhaps only--opportunity to earn "free nights" [three] with Azamara would occur at 3,750 Cruise Points and that I'd still have needed to have booked and continue to book almost exclusively with Azamara to secure those [while giving up the the better--for me--onboard benefits (internet, laundry, premium drinks package, Michael's Club access) I now enjoy on Celebrity as a Zenith member]--I decided to concentrate my patronage with the line that more generously recognizes my loyalty without exclusion while offering a cruise experience that I enjoy and in many respects/circumstances prefer... When itineraries are unique/"must do" and when there is small ship porting advantage [Azamara does a great cruise by virtually every measure but those are their attributes, when in play, that most appeal to me], I may well book with them again...

You must be "getting close" [i met you/your husband in Blu aboard Eclipse some years ago]... At some point, the "quest" toward top tier--when in reach--becomes part of the fun... Enjoy!

They picked number of cruises, it is what it is.

Had they picked days as you suggest, someone would argue days in a suite should count more than days in an inside cabin - it's always easy to find a way to challenge something.

I think that with the current system it's not possible to count days anyway, Celebrity are counting points for the "Most Travelled" and that doesn't really work either.

Coming to the brands late we were lucky enough to get our 6 free nights for Discoverer Plus and will reach 1500 and the extra days next year. Can't see us ever getting to Platinum though.

Yes, number of cruises.

Thanks! The math works for us either way, cruises or days. Luckily for us too we have been cruising on other lines for the most part before discovering Azamara! As folks have mentioned earlier, it would have been a whole different story if some of our HAL cruises had been on Celebrity. When we reach Discover Plus in 2019, we will have cruised on 6 Azamara cruises (66 days) and 5 Celebrity cruises (53 days).

Edited by Ken the cruiser

It is either or and they kind of make the choice for you depending upon how many cruises you have for each line at the point of crossing the threshold. At least that is how understood it.

Oh dear - I think you are saying the curse of the 50% rule could strike again Phil

Currently onboard Celebrity will do a review when we get back- a pleasant enough cruise but the changes onboard do not suit us. We've been spoilt by the genuine service delivery on Azamara!

Currently onboard Celebrity will do a review when we get back- a pleasant enough cruise but the changes onboard do not suit us. We've been spoilt by the genuine service delivery on Azamara!

Changes on Celebrity?

I look forward to hearing about them.

• 3 weeks later...

so, another question which I am not sure has been addressed in these posts.

Can I use the complimentary nights on a cruise which I have booked to take place in 20 months from now?

I may reach the next level by then, by taking other Azamara sailings before then. Do I then just ask for the nights to be applied to the cost? Of does one have to have the nights earned at the time of booking the cruise?

Thanks

A point to bear in mind when you are planning to use your free nights is that they are based on the most booked category of cabin in your cruising history. For example, if you have mostly sailed in a V3 balcony cabin, then the discount applied will be based on that category of cabin on the cruise of your choice. It also excludes Port Taxes.