Cruise: Best of India and Shri Lanka. Safety?

Priya2

I think this is a new cruise for Celebrity (could be wrong). We were looking forward to booking it for January 2017. I have been especially looking forward to it for its three ports in India. I hadn't considered it a high risk area. However, all of the duscussions on port safety following the awful events in Tunis got me checking the British Goverments travel advice. Sadly, it seems Islamic extremists have made recent threats to sites, especially those attracting tourists (of course), in India, and its now on the list of countries considered high risk for terrorism. I looked for additional information on Goa (one of the ports). Apparently, known ISIS extremists are renting accommodation there and threatening nearby attacks. 😮 I guess the Authorities are not addressing it at this time. Unfortunately, I don't think we'd be comfortable visiting there. I feel angry to have our travel plans curtailed by terrorist b******s, but also so sad for the local people effected who rely upon tourism for their living 😌

I do appreciate that terrorists can attack in any country, but clearly some countries are more 'on it' regarding security than others. We won't stop travelling, but where the risk seems particulary high, we're reluctant. We would likely feel so concerned that we wouldn't enjoy the ports of call anyway. Has anyone else here been considering a cruise that they are now having second thoughts about?

We are already booked on this cruise for April 2017, two years away. We are not going to cancel at this time. Situations around the world change daily, if not hourly. We will be patient and wait to see what develops.

I don't believe a knee jerk reaction is warranted. I also don't like the fact that certain factions are trying to take away our freedom to travel. If and when the State Dept., and or the cruiseline, deem the itinerary unsafe then we will adjust our plans accordingly.

Edited by C-Dragons

Considering how far in the distance the cruise is, I personally would not cancel yet. Other than losing interest on the amount of your original deposit, there is nothing to lose by waiting awhile to see what happens (at least that is true in the US, not sure about UK). I would not be booking individual shore excursions or anything, but would monitor rather than cancel. The situation could change drastically by that time, for better or for worse.

I have not cancelled a cruise due to dangerous areas, but then again so far we are limited due to vacation time to cruises 10 days or fewer closer to home (US). I have been disappointed with the cancellation of Mexican Riviera cruises, but that was the cruise line's decision and not mine.

I don't plan to stop traveling because of threats, but at the same time only a fool would ignore what is going on in the world right now. Common sense and valid risk analysis needs to be applied. Your biggest issue with this cruise might be Celebrity cancelling it somewhere along the line, and/or deciding for safety reasons to skip certain ports. But again, you have little to lose by putting down a deposit now and waiting to see how it goes.

Edited by phoenix_dream

We haven't actually booked yet. We were planning to do so on our Panama Canal cruise in November in order to get the OBC etc.

I agree with pheonix_dream that, whilst not giving-up travelling by any means, its sensible to take account of what's going on and undertake a risk analysis. I recognise that cruise companies will do that too, but that didn't save the passengers off the two ships in Tunis and in order to remain in business, they will have to continue to go to some risky ports because there are ever increasing numbers of risky ports :(

This link aimed at business people may be of interest. It was written in October 2014. http://www.ibtimes.co.in/isis-al-qaeda-joint-attack-possible-india-goa-bangalore-higher-risk-warns-nsg-611525

As for sticking with an organised tour, it was two large tour buses that were peppered with bullets in Tunis. How to mark yourself out most obviously as an 'infidel' = travel on a tour bus. Private taxi may actually be safer for terrorism.

Edited by Priya2

I am considering cruises with stops in India for November, 2016 and April, 2017. I would add Suez Canal to both. Usually new destinations fill quickly and the best prices tend to be early booking. However, with all the negative news I believe that I have time to wait and see what develops. Prices may come down significantly if problems persist and/or ports are changed. I've been on cruises where itinaries had to be modified due to military activity or political unrest. I have complete confidence that Celebrity will make the best decisions. The best way to remove fear is PEACE, but unfortunately I don't see that happening in the next few years. I would keep my reservation in place if I had a reservation.

We haven't actually booked yet. We were planning to do so on our Panama Canal cruise in November in order to get the OBC etc.

I agree with pheonix_dream that, whilst not giving-up travelling by any means, its sensible to take account of what's going on and undertake a risk analysis. I recognise that cruise companies will do that too, but that didn't save the passengers off the two ships in Tunis and in order to remain in business, they will have to continue to go to some risky ports because there are ever increasing numbers of risky ports :(

This link aimed at business people may be of interest. It was written in October 2014. http://www.ibtimes.co.in/isis-al-qaeda-joint-attack-possible-india-goa-bangalore-higher-risk-warns-nsg-611525

As for sticking with an organised tour, it was two large tour buses that were peppered with bullets in Tunis. How to mark yourself out most obviously as an 'infidel' = travel on a tour bus. Private taxi may actually be safer for terrorism.

Not true. Over the years there have been reports of passengers on private taxi tours that have been abducted, or had even worse happen to them, as well. In this day and age I would think one's manner of dress would "mark" them far more than one's method of transportation.

Edited by C-Dragons

Keep in mind, the cruise line may decide to alter the itinerary if they determine it is not safe to visit. In that case, you would just go where the ship goes.

I would probably book tours through the ship due to the ease of canceling if there is a change of ports.

We have booked this cruise for Jan 2017. Really looking forward to it. If some of the ports seem on edge we will just stay on the ship. We will have our teenage daughter with us and defiantly don't take her & our safety lightly.

Hello!

Firstly I completely understand your concerns, no one needs to be worried about safety, especially when you're on a holiday.

As an Indian living in Mumbai, India, here's some advice that may be helpful. I assume the 3 ports that you're talking about are Mumbai, Goa and a South Indian port of Cochin.

As someone whose been born and brought up in Mumbai, I can safely say that its one of the safest cities in India and the world, especially for women. Majority of the people can understand English and speak broken English (even though its their 3rd language). The ship docks in South Mumbai where the affluent part of Mumbai resides. Many are well educated and well traveled, and hence relatively a better and safer part of Mumbai.

The attacks by Pakistani terrorists (not ISIS) was on 26/11/2008 which was our 9/11. Post that we've changed our Govt who has taken various steps to make this city even safer. I really wouldn't worry about Mumbai.

Goa is probably more safe for foreigners, than it is for most Indians! The Baga and Calangute beaches with food shacks and shopping has more tourists than Indians and the biggest 'risk' there are some Russian or Indian touts trying to sell you some contraband/ invite to a rave party.

Cochin is God's own country in the South of Mumbai, similar to Bali. Lots of backwaters and massage places.

You may think that I'm probably biased since I'm an Indian. If you were saying you'd be traveling to New Delhi, I'd probably say be extra careful. Kashmir, India's northern most state is the Switzerland of Asia in terms of natural beauty, but thanks to our neighbors I wouldn't suggest one go there too. But these 3 ports you shouldn't have any problems.

As someone correctly said, the spicy food is perhaps the most dangerous thing. If you'd like any more info, feel free to ask. Happy to help.

Hello!

Firstly I completely understand your concerns, no one needs to be worried about safety, especially when you're on a holiday.

As an Indian living in Mumbai, India, here's some advice that may be helpful. I assume the 3 ports that you're talking about are Mumbai, Goa and a South Indian port of Cochin.

As someone whose been born and brought up in Mumbai, I can safely say that its one of the safest cities in India and the world, especially for women. Majority of the people can understand English and speak broken English (even though its their 3rd language). The ship docks in South Mumbai where the affluent part of Mumbai resides. Many are well educated and well traveled, and hence relatively a better and safer part of Mumbai.

The attacks by Pakistani terrorists (not ISIS) was on 26/11/2008 which was our 9/11. Post that we've changed our Govt who has taken various steps to make this city even safer. I really wouldn't worry about Mumbai.

Goa is probably more safe for foreigners, than it is for most Indians! The Baga and Calangute beaches with food shacks and shopping has more tourists than Indians and the biggest 'risk' there are some Russian or Indian touts trying to sell you some contraband/ invite to a rave party.

Cochin is God's own country in the South of Mumbai, similar to Bali. Lots of backwaters and massage places.

You may think that I'm probably biased since I'm an Indian. If you were saying you'd be traveling to New Delhi, I'd probably say be extra careful. Kashmir, India's northern most state is the Switzerland of Asia in terms of natural beauty, but thanks to our neighbors I wouldn't suggest one go there too. But these 3 ports you shouldn't have any problems.

As someone correctly said, the spicy food is perhaps the most dangerous thing. If you'd like any more info, feel free to ask. Happy to help.

Thank you so much for your post. The other port is New Mangalore (I thought there were 3, but a check shows 4). Its not so much general crime that worries me. What are your views specifically on the terrorism threat? There is apparently a direct threat from a joint enterprise between Al Queda and ISIS. There is a theory that it wouldn't happen in Goa since senior terrorists live there - no questions asked for renting houses etc.

I'm not sure if you have been to the UK, but we have had some if the best Indian restaurants in the world since the 1970s. They are incredibly popular and curry is literally considered a national dish these days 😀

Thank you so much for your post. The other port is New Mangalore (I thought there were 3, but a check shows 4). Its not so much general crime that worries me. What are your views specifically on the terrorism threat? There is apparently a direct threat from a joint enterprise between Al Queda and ISIS. There is a theory that it wouldn't happen in Goa since senior terrorists live there - no questions asked for renting houses etc.

I'm not sure if you have been to the UK, but we have had some if the best Indian restaurants in the world since the 1970s. They are incredibly popular and curry is literally considered a national dish these days 😀

Hey Priya,

I've read the report (last year) that you're referring to. It was our National Security Group that made that statement to ensure that our coast guard and forces were on alert to ward off any such potential attacks, like we saw in 2008 in Mumbai (BTW I stay 2 buildings away from the TAJ hotel, where the attacks happened).

I've been to Goa over 10-12 times and while I usually stay at 5-star resorts, the beaches and tourist spots are pretty safe. I wouldn't read too much into those stories about senior terrorists living in Goa, their State Government is one of the best they've had in years. Its difficult to get a phone SIM card without proper documentation, renting out accommodations require police verification. Pickpocketing cases here and there, being overcharged for a taxi are amongst the bigger issues tourists may face in Goa. Also, Dec-Feb is probably the best time to visit India. Its winter here and the weather is really pleasant.

And yes, been to London, heard alot of the Indian restaurants there from UK residents that I've met on past cruises. They seem to enjoy the Chicken Tikka Masala more than us Indians. :D

We are booked on this cruise for 2017 as the itinery sounds great.

We visited Goa a couple of years ago (for a friends wedding) and travelled round quite a bit seeing the temples etc. At no time did we feel unsafe. I always think that travelling around in any country, even your own, you keep your wits about you in areas you are unfamiliar with. The people are so friendly and helpful.

I appreciate that the ISIS issue has arisen in the past year, but has already been said, our cruise is not for another 2 years (:() and a lot can happen between now and then. I will continue looking forward to our trip and hope that the issues resolve. The political unrest may potentially spoil our holiday, but it has far greater impact on those who live in the affected countries and those who rely on tourism for their livelihood.

Hey Priya,

I've read the report (last year) that you're referring to. It was our National Security Group that made that statement to ensure that our coast guard and forces were on alert to ward off any such potential attacks, like we saw in 2008 in Mumbai (BTW I stay 2 buildings away from the TAJ hotel, where the attacks happened).

I've been to Goa over 10-12 times and while I usually stay at 5-star resorts, the beaches and tourist spots are pretty safe. I wouldn't read too much into those stories about senior terrorists living in Goa, their State Government is one of the best they've had in years. Its difficult to get a phone SIM card without proper documentation, renting out accommodations require police verification. Pickpocketing cases here and there, being overcharged for a taxi are amongst the bigger issues tourists may face in Goa. Also, Dec-Feb is probably the best time to visit India. Its winter here and the weather is really pleasant.

And yes, been to London, heard alot of the Indian restaurants there from UK residents that I've met on past cruises. They seem to enjoy the Chicken Tikka Masala more than us Indians. :D

Thank you. That's very reasuring. We would love to do this cruise. Your views are making us inclined not to rule it out now. After all, as has been said many times, they may hit in most holiday destinations. We were just troubled by those direct threats documented.

We are booked on this cruise for 2017 as the itinery sounds great.

We visited Goa a couple of years ago (for a friends wedding) and travelled round quite a bit seeing the temples etc. At no time did we feel unsafe. I always think that travelling around in any country, even your own, you keep your wits about you in areas you are unfamiliar with. The people are so friendly and helpful.

I appreciate that the ISIS issue has arisen in the past year, but has already been said, our cruise is not for another 2 years (:() and a lot can happen between now and then. I will continue looking forward to our trip and hope that the issues resolve. The political unrest may potentially spoil our holiday, but it has far greater impact on those who live in the affected countries and those who rely on tourism for their livelihood.

Don't forget to check out the roll call that already have a few members.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app on iPhone

We are booked just a month before your cruise on the December 2016 cruise round trip from Abu Dhabi that also visits those same ports in India. It's the first cruise we've ever booked so far out because we loved the itinerary so much; especially the overnight in Dubai for New Year's Eve. And we will absolutely not cancel. The only way we aren't going is if Celebrity eventually deems it unsafe and changes the itinerary. Bad things can happen anywhere at anytime. And while we obviously wouldn't intentionally put ourselves in harms way, the cruise line wouldn't put its passengers and crews in harms way. The situation in Tunis has made people a bit jumpy (and rightly so), but that could have happened at any port stop. Plus, as others have said, we can't sit and stew over the safety at any one location so far out.

Michael and Omar

Don't forget to check out the roll call that already have a few members.Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app on iPhone

Thank you, we are already on our roll call (April 2017) as are one or two of the other people who have posted here.

• 2 months later...
Hello!

nekzaadvakil

Thanks for posting your comments. Was interested in your opinion of taking a tour of the Taj Mahal. There is a Celebrity Tour departing Cochin by air to New Delhi and overnighting in a 5* hotel for two days with a transfer and tour of Taj Mahal and surrounding area returning by air to meet the ship 2 days later in Goa.

Hi,

we have been to these 3 mentioned ports 2 years ago. Wonderful memories!

I have booked private tours for a group of 8 people. In Mumbai I booked with Mumbai Magic - we had a wonderful lady guide for two days. Beeing picked up at the pier. Very reliable - two great days in Mumbai. mumbaimagic dot com

In Cochin we have booked with Carnival Tours Cochin and have booked a day tour in the backwaters of Alappuzha by Houseboat. Wonderful and Peter and his father had been very kind and reliable. Can really recommend them. cochinprivatetours dot com

In Goa I have booked a car and driver who drove us around.

They all were recommended by tripadvisor.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by black forest

We did Singapore to Dubai on the Century about two months ago. India was the primary focus of the cruise.

Here is my review that includes a lot of information on the ports.

Singapore to Dubai

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=501167

I would recommend touring with a group. We never felt unsafe, except on the highways. The driving there is insane.

We did Singapore to Dubai on the Century about two months ago. India was the primary focus of the cruise.

Here is my review that includes a lot of information on the ports.

Singapore to Dubai

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=501167

I would recommend touring with a group. We never felt unsafe, except on the highways. The driving there is insane.

We were on the same cruise, and I would agree that we never felt unsafe. The houseboat tour in the Backwaters of Cochin was magical, and Mumbai was not to be missed.

The worst part of the whole trip was obtaining the Indian Visa and then experiencing the immigration procedures before leaving the ship. Once on shore in the Indian ports it was definitely worth the effort required.

Sheila

In agreement with some others, I would NOT let anything happening TODAY in a particular part of the world effect my plans for 2017. First off, who knows what areas will be safe/unsafe then? Second, IF the there are serious potential problems at the time, Celebrity will not go to the ports. (They have both the investment of the ship, the crew and the passengers to think about. My motto is - if they are willing to go - I will, if they stay away - I will go with that as well.)

You have a lot of time to cancel if you wish.

I have visited these cities several times - find them fascinating but they are all areas I personally use caution and common sense - even before the most recent problems. I would happily go back for future visits.