RCL: New High

Orator

See RCL stock price? Read projections about future earnings? Richard Fain on CNBC at 3:00 PM today. CNBC reporter just said that lower fuel costs and the change in discounting policy has improved earnings forecast. Bookings are very strong through Fall.

YEAH! I feel like I need to go buy a giant tophat and a monocle today.

:D

It's been clear to me that the all-in 123 has sold lots of advance cabins, allowing left inventory to be sold at a premium. I got this just by watching the few cruises I have booked thru 2017, and some itineraries I'm interested in.

Ill have to set my DVR to record, thanks for the heads up.

From Dow Jones News Wire 10:25am this morning

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. raised its earnings outlook for the year on Friday as positive currency impacts and favorable fuel rates powered a 34% rise in profit during its latest quarter.

Miami-based Royal Caribbean, which operates its namesake line as well as Celebrity, now expects full-year adjusted earnings of $4.65 to $4.75, above its previous April guidance of $4.45 to $4.65. Based on factors including fuel and foreign exchange rates, the company expects adjusted earnings for the current quarter to come in at around $2.70 a share, while analysts expect $2.78.

Overall, Royal Caribbean reported a profit of $185 million, or 84 cents a share, up from $137.7 million, or 62 cents a share, during the same period a year earlier.

Revenue rose 4% to $2.06 billion. The company beat its earnings forecast for the quarter of 70 cents a share. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected revenue of $2.06 billion.

The company also reported that foreign currency translation adjustments contributed some $11.7 million to income.

Passenger ticket sales in the latest quarter climbed 3.6% to $1.51 billion. Fuel expenses dipped almost 17% to $202.6 million from $242.8 million.

During the latest quarter the number of passengers increased 2.4% while the number of passenger cruise days edged upward 4.8%.

Royal Caribbean said bookings since April have been brisk and that the Caribbean market offset softness in Latin America.

"Momentum in the Caribbean continues at a solid pace, and our strong booked position in the third and fourth quarters gives us confidence as we move through the second half of 2015," said Jason T. Liberty, chief financial officer of the cruise ship operator.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Have you been able to tell how much the currency fluctuation helped in these numbers yet? As I recall it was a deficit last quarter, so just curious how much the improvement this Q offset last Q....

EDIT:

Never mind, see it says 11.7 million. Now to go back and research what last Q was.

Edited by cle-guy

Luckily, I bought the stock soon after I joined Cruise Critic and heard about the shareholder benefit. I bought it with IRA money that was just sitting there, for about $30, and have now received as much OBC as the stock cost me. One of the few times in my investing life where I done good!

Luckily, I bought the stock soon after I joined Cruise Critic and heard about the shareholder benefit. I bought it with IRA money that was just sitting there, for about $30, and have now received as much OBC as the stock cost me. One of the few times in my investing life where I done good!

Same here, I got in about $37 - and my broker was skeptical for me to have him invest there. Now I can keep pointing him to my pick versus his picks... :D

I haven't yet though gotten my full shareholder credits out, I think I have gotten $1000 in OBC to date if I recall correctly.

I read that there was strong demand for Caribbean and China sailings. Some analyst expects the oil prices to remain as they are for about 2 years which is good news.

Like many, I bought shares to get the OBC being a shareholder. Now, it is paying $1.20 per share which means for every 100 shares, you are getting $120 before taxes. I like that OBC.:D even though it has become more difficult to get the shareholder credit.

I read that there was strong demand for Caribbean and China sailings. Some analyst expects the oil prices to remain as they are for about 2 years which is good news.

At first I was surprised they mentioned strong demand for Caribbean, as last year they talked a lot about how "soft" that market was. But then realized the promotions of 123 and BBB have caused an influx of advance bookings, which explains the swing from soft to strong in the Caribbean to me.

As a point of reference, this will be my 3rd year sailing the weekend after thanksgiving.

Last year, at final payments, the ship had 60% unsold cabins - and sailed full, this year that cruise has only 12% left, and we are not even to final payments.

Edited by cle-guy

That is the best shareholder benefit they could pay !!! Made enough today for several cruises !!!

You don't make any money with stocks until you actually sell it. It's all just looks good on paper. Remember, what goes up will some day go down.

You don't make any money with stocks until you actually sell it. It's all just looks good on paper. Remember, what goes up will some day go down.

RCL pays out dividends regularly, that's real money. Most recent $1.20 per share.

Edited by cle-guy

At first I was surprised they mentioned strong demand for Caribbean, as last year they talked a lot about how "soft" that market was. But then realized the promotions of 123 and BBB have caused an influx of advance bookings, which explains the swing from soft to strong in the Caribbean to me.

As a point of reference, this will be my 3rd year sailing the weekend after thanksgiving.

Last year, at final payments, the ship had 60% unsold cabins - and sailed full, this year that cruise has only 12% left, and we are not even to final payments.

Yes I think 123, the new Royal ships and China sailings have all helped. My only worry is that the heavy investment by Royal in China could be affected by the downturn in China.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I think 123, the new Royal ships and China sailings have all helped. My only worry is that the heavy investment by Royal in China could be affected by the downturn in China.

I too am watching China for reasons you state, but then again, they have 1.3 BILLION people (sure probably 1 billion live in poverty...) as an audience and so far don't seem to have a ton of inventory there.

Thats' the funny thing with currency fluctuation, its good here, but hurts there. When it's good there, it hurts here.

RCL pays out dividends regularly, that's real money. Most recent $1.20 per share.

I understand dividends. The point was raised because of the increase in stock price. That only turns into real money when you sell it. Until then it just looks pretty on paper.

How do you find out how many cabins are unsold in a particular cruise?

I understand dividends. The point was raised because of the increase in stock price. That only turns into real money when you sell it. Until then it just looks pretty on paper.

I very well understand what you are saying. I bought a boatload at $9.00 and have sold and purchased along the way. RCCL had done very well for me in REAL money. It had more than paid for all of my cruises, and the dividend on top is gravy.

I should have bought a boatload. Why did I only buy 100 shares?

I know because we were paying for my son's college tuition for Syracuse University at the time.

We only bought the 100 shares on a fluke as I put in a buy order (they are good for 6 months) for $5.50 a share - which is all we had left in the account. The day I got the e-mail saying the buy order went through I was surprised. I should have ran to he bank and cleaned out my saving account and bought 5,000 shares. I didn't. Oh well............

It may not be the way an accountant categorizes debits and credits, but I like to look at the $250 shareholder OBCs on EACH of my last eight Celebrity cruises as "tax free dividends." :D

THAT is one of the GREATEST business aspects of cruise ships. They can be redeployed almost anywhere in the world wherever and whenever a better opportunity/environment arises. :cool:

I know because we were paying for my son's college tuition for Syracuse University at the time.

We only bought the 100 shares on a fluke as I put in a buy order (they are good for 6 months) for $5.50 a share - which is all we had left in the account. The day I got the e-mail saying the buy order went through I was surprised. I should have ran to he bank and cleaned out my saving account and bought 5,000 shares. I didn't. Oh well............

5000 shares today will pay for college and few cruises;)

I bought when it was about $19. Since it is almost impossible to use shareholders OBC with all promos and specials - maybe it is time to sell??

I got in when I took my first Celebrity cruise and as I recall paid about $ 11.00 a share. :D My regret is that I only bought 100 shares :( the minimum to reap free stuff from the shareholders thingy

That said, I have easily been granted at least three times my original purchase amount alone in shareholders bennies because I often book last minute....

I also only bought 100 Carnival shares at something too low to type and have enjoyed a free ride on them too.

I am better at buying stocks when I look back at my decisions.

It could have been worse. In 1986, when Microsoft stock went public, you could have bought 100 shares for $2,100. Since then there have been 17 two for one stock splits. If you would have kept it all, at today's price it would be worth $1.35 million. If your interested, Google it to see the breakdown.

• 2 weeks later...