Twinrix?

ERIN123

Do people generally get vaccinated before a Carribean cruise? My co-worker is encouraging me to get Twinrix vaccine. Is this necessary? (I should probably ask my doctor but thought I'd get an opinion here first).

Seems to be a Hepatitis vaccine.

TWINRIX is a vaccine indicated for active immunization against disease caused by hepatitis A virus and infection by all known subtypes of hepatitis B virus.

I have yet to travel to a country that REQUIRES any vaccines, though I know they exist. I was surprised that Egypt didn't require any.

My doctor though, knowing I travel often, encouraged me to get the full Hepatitis vaccine series done, so I'm all set in any case. If I remember, one was a single vaccine, the other required 2 treatments a few months apart.

To me one should have the Hep vaccines as a matter of due course, like Measels Mumps and Rubella, especially if traveling in close quarters to others, such as on Cruise Ships (without regard for the destination).

Twinrix is a Hep A & B combo vaccine.... it's recommended for most destinations, especially the Caribbean.

Its given in 3 doses (1 month & 6 months following the initial vaccination).

Once you get all 3 shots, you are good to go for LIFE.

It's not a bad idea to get it if you travel a lot, but if you have any questions you should see your doctor or visit your local travel clinic.

Do people generally get vaccinated before a Carribean cruise? My co-worker is encouraging me to get Twinrix vaccine. Is this necessary? (I should probably ask my doctor but thought I'd get an opinion here first).

Hi there.

Twinrix is a combination of the hepatitis A & B vaccine. If you haven't been inoculated against hepatitis before, you may wish to consider it whether you're leaving for the Caribbean or not. It can protect you against contracting a liver infection at home and abroad, and is usually recommended before overseas travel.

Definitely talk to your doctor though, because, I'm not one.

The only time I went and got vaccines, including the Hep A and B was when I was traveling to Nepal/Cambodia/Vietnam and India. Never even thought about it for Caribbean travel, and I've been cruising there since 1975. But, it's not a bad idea to have those shots.

We had Twinrix and so did all of our kids before our 2nd cruise with them. I discussed it with our doctor at the time and he thought it was a good idea and so we got it. We were travelling to the Caribbean at the time. As others have said, once you get it it is good for life.

IMHO anyone who travels a lot should get the Hep vaccine.

Looking back it's amazing I'm alive after all the street eats and dives I hung around in the 60's 70's and 80's

A buddy of mine almost died of hepatitis in 1975. He caught it in London England.

You just never know.

Edited by A Sixth?

The Twinrix is combined Hepatitis A and B. Hep A is transmitted by fecal matter. Most people going to culinary classes are required to have vaccinations for Hep A. When someone has Hep A and doesn't wash their after going to the bathroom they can pass it on while preparing your food. I worked several years and worked in public health and many times have been involved with outbreaks involving restaurants,even high end ones. If you like to eat out it is not a bad idea to have. It is part of childhood shots now,but wasn't when most of us were young. The Hep B is different. Usually obtained thru blood and sex. The combined shot is a series of three shot. The second is one month after the first and the third one five months later.getting the first two shots will give you pretty high protection short term but you need that last one to give you longterm protection. Considered probably the vaccine with the least side effects. Talk to your doctor or health department for mor info.

You could pick hep up a lot closer to home....a young friend asked me to drive her to the er one day as she thought she had appendicitis . .....she had hepatitis !....I am immune suppressed so as soon as the incubation period was over I got the vaccinations started......she recovered after quite a long time....

Both me and my fiance have gotten the Twinrix shot. But we both have been to Thailand and we took the shots before that trip.

We are getting shots for yellow fever, for our next cruise, even if it might not be necessary. But we travel a lot and we might need it sooner or later anyway.