First time Cruisers! I need to make sure I've done everything

Mrs.Kearns

Guys , we have less than 30 days for our very first cruise ! I am so nervous and excited at the same time . I'm in charge of making sure that everything (flight, hotel, transportation etc.) it's a very big responsibility . We have never gone on a trip before . Least by ourselves . So it's nerve racking. I need to make sure that I have everything done that I can possible get done before our trip... this is what I have done so far .

Flight booked (never been in an airport before)

Hotel booked (pre- /post cruise)

Transportation to hotel and cruise terminal

Sea passes printed

List of things we need to pack

All of our packages on the cruise bought

Birth Certificates

Those are just the big things , I've done smaller things as well but didn't feel the need to post it . I have a pre-cruise checklist but want to check in with you all .

Also, how much cash do you all normally carry with you all ? It's just the two of us . I am not a big spender so I know I won't spend that much now my fiancé on the other hand is quite the opposite. Our cruise is only 4 days but we're flying in a day early and leaving a day later so we'll be gone six days instead .

Anything will definitely help !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't forget to stop mail and newspaper..turn off water if no one will be home, and unplug stuff!

We usually bring about $1500 for a week...there is a safe in your cabin to store it. We have credit cards, but having cash on hand isn't a bad thing!

Hello, it sounds like you have done a good job.

Have you thought about how you are going to get to the airport and come home from the airport? Have you thought about where you are going to park at the airport if you are going to park your car there? There are usually parking lots which are off-site and are much cheaper than parking in the airport parking garages. You might look for one of these if you don't plan to have someone drop you off at the airport.

Since you have never been to an airport before, it is important to understand what to expect. The day before you fly you can check in for your flight starting about 24 hours beforehand via your computer or smartphone. If your booked your airline tickets online the airline will probably send you an email to check in. Likely you will print out your airline ticket at home or you will bring it electronically on your phone. If you can print it out, it's a good idea because sometimes the electronic tickets don't work and by that I mean your phone can't connect to the airline's system so you can't view your ticket on your phone and then you have to go stand in line to get your ticket in paper form. For example, this happened to me the other day in San Francisco during the boarding process (so annoying, yet typical) and I had to go stand at the desk at the gate in order to have a paper ticket printed out so I could board the plane. All they needed was my driver's license and they were able to print it out.

When you check in for your flight and get your ticket, you will see your terminal and gate on the ticket. You will need this information the next day when arriving at the airport. You might go on your airport's website and familiarize yourself with where the terminals are and which airlines are in which terminal.

When you get to the airport, if you are checking luggage, if there is a place to check in outside of the airport, this is usually the best place to check your luggage with the shorter line, so do it there.

Once you are inside the airport look for the security line that leads to your terminal and gate. You will need to show your ticket and your photo ID to the TSA agent in order to enter the line and then you will need to show it again to the TSA agent at the front of the line. Once you are past this TSA agent, you can put your ticket and ID back in your purse for Xray screening. Pre pack your purse and carryon so you don't have any liquids with you. Liquids should be in your checked luggage. Don't wear anything with a lot of metal in it like a heavy necklace or big belt buckle or carry a bunch of coins. I'm sure you are aware that you should not bring any weapons into an airport and this includes stuff like pepper spray/mace, knives, large scissors, guns, etc. (You CAN pack nail scissors in your checked luggage.) Do wear shoes that are easy to take off and put on. Typically, for a cruise, I will have on a sundress or maxi dress with a knit sweater and flip flops. I wear small earrings and my wedding ring and watch and that's it in terms of metal. These items can pass through the metal detector without a problem. Once you reach the front of the security line, put your carryon on the X-ray conveyer belt and then put your purse, sweater and shoes in one of the provided plastic boxes that go through the X-ray machine. If you have a computer, you must take it out and put it in one of the provided plastic boxes. Leave your mouse packed, as well as your IPAD and cellphone. Next queue for the metal detector/scanner and follow the instructions of the TSA agents. They may pull you aside to do further metal detection or pat you down or randomly check your bag for explosives. This is normal and usually done randomly and nothing to be concerned about. After you are done with that, pick up your luggage, purse, shoes and sweater and it's time to head to the gate area. If your spouse/traveling companion gets searched, move just outside of the TSA security area and wait for him/her there.

At this point all you need to do is follow the signs to your flight's gate. When you arrive at the gate sit down and relax until boarding time. For a long flight over a mealtime, if I'm in economy, I usually buy a couple of sandwiches and some bottled water for me and my husband. My husband always used to tell me he didn't want anything and I would just buy a sandwich for me, and then he would wind up eating half of it. LOL! So, now, I just buy 2 sandwiches and usually he eats his. It is nice to have the bottle of water with you on the plane as it will be a while before the flight attendants can get the beverages out.

If your nose is stuffy on the morning of the flight, do take some Benadryl or other medicine and it is a good idea to use nose spray and blow your nose just prior to takeoff so you don't get an ear infection from the chance in altitude.

In terms of cash, bring around $200 - $300 each for a 3 - 10 day cruise. That should be plenty. Use your credit card for onboard expenses. Use the cash for short taxi rides, tips to tour guides/bus drivers on land and to buy food/beverage on land and maybe some souvenirs. If you are going to be taking a taxi home from the airport, keep that in mind and keep some cash for that or plan to use your credit card.

Hope that helps. The more prepared you are to go through security at the airport, the better off you will be. Arrive at the airport about 2 hours in advance of your flight in case there is a long line at security.

@Suit Traveler , wow. All that was very helpful for the airport part is what I'm most nervous about . We will just be having a carry on so will our liquids be ok in our carry on?

Rugrats is right, you cannot carry any but small 3.4 oz containers of liquids, including stuff like makeup and toothpaste, etc. You have to put them in a one quart ziplock bag which you have to take out and put in one of the plastic boxes that go through the X-ray - you can put it out in the box that your put your sweater, shoes and purse in. Or, you could do what my husband I do, which is not take any liquids and then in the taxi, on the way to the airport or port, we stop at a Walgreens or CVS and buy whatever we need.

Guys , we have less than 30 days for our very first cruise ! I am so nervous and excited at the same time . I'm in charge of making sure that everything (flight, hotel, transportation etc.) it's a very big responsibility . We have never gone on a trip before . Least by ourselves . So it's nerve racking. I need to make sure that I have everything done that I can possible get done before our trip... this is what I have done so far .

Flight booked (never been in an airport before)

Hotel booked (pre- /post cruise)

Transportation to hotel and cruise terminal

Sea passes printed

List of things we need to pack

All of our packages on the cruise bought

Birth Certificates

Those are just the big things , I've done smaller things as well but didn't feel the need to post it . I have a pre-cruise checklist but want to check in with you all .

Also, how much cash do you all normally carry with you all ? It's just the two of us . I am not a big spender so I know I won't spend that much now my fiancé on the other hand is quite the opposite. Our cruise is only 4 days but we're flying in a day early and leaving a day later so we'll be gone six days instead .

Anything will definitely help !!

You mentioned birth certificates -- you're sure they're originals /certified copies, right? They almost certainly are, but this is the one thing you simply cannot afford to do wrong. And in addition you'll bring a state-issued ID, almost certainly a driver's license.

Eliminate those concerns about airplanes and liquids: Just mail your toiletries to your night-before hotel. Don't skimp on sunscreen.

If your suitcases are black (like everyone else's suitcases) put something on them to make them identifiable ... a lime-colored bandana or some colorful duct tape. Don't pack any electronics in your bags. Go to your computer and print out a two-sided paper with your first-night hotel address and your cell phone on one side /your home address on the other side. Put this INSIDE your suitcase just in case your suitcase is lost AND your tags are torn off.

As for how much money to take, I always look at the specific excursions I'm going to take /any other things I know I'll do during the trip ... and I put money for each into an envelope /label it. For example, one envelope might read, "Stingray excursion with Nativeway ... Tuesday, March 28 @ 9:00 am ... meet representative on the pier ... contact phone # _____" and that envelope would contain cash for the excursion plus small bills for the tip. I stash all the envelopes in a travel organizer that a travel agent once gave me ... and when I arrive on the ship, I store the envelopes in the safe. This means I KNOW I have all the money I need for the trip is planned, and I don't have to look in my wallet and think, "I can spend X amount, but I must keep X amount for tomorrow's excursion." And it means I KNOW I have exact change for the excursions I've planned and tips, so I won't be caught with only a $50 bill and a tour guide who doesn't have change.

As for other money, I don't take much. I quit buying souveniers years ago. My husband takes rolls of coins with which to play nickle slots; this is his way of monitoring how much he gambles: He knows he has X number of rolls per day.

Have you paid your tips in advance? It's just easier, but I usually take $30-50 in singles for tips to bartenders, etc.

Sweet job, Suite

I would add

Call your credit card and debit card companiies to inform them you are traveling

Check your flight and hotel confirmations now. Sometime airlines change flight times, seat assignments, etc. Print confirmations out.

Your pre cruise hotel may offer a free airport and /or port shuttle. Check for information on it.

TripAdvisor is a good place to get recommendation of local eateries. The hotel front desk folks may have suggestions.

Go to your cruise line web site and read everything including prohibited items.

Do not take fruit/vegetables/meat/cheese off ship in ports. Water is okay.

If your birth certificate and your official photo id do not have the same last name you might need your marriage certificate as a bridging document. Rarely asked for, but ...

Assuming this lady is a US citizen and all others travelling are also Americans on a cruise which permits travel without a passport, her list is conspicuously absent of the words "official photo id" which hopefully has simply been missed off the list but all parties have one.

Regards John

I should also add that each person can only have 1 one quart bag of liquids - not much at all. This is why, when we do carryon, we make a stop at CVS or Walgreens on the way to the hotel or ship and buy whatever we need. Usually we buy:

toothpaste

hairspray

styling mousse

shampoo

conditioner

deodorant

sunscreen

shaving cream

lotion

makeup remover wipes

I like bath puffs, so typically I will pick up one of those as well. The shampoo on most ships is not so good - a lot of times it is a shampoo and conditioner in one type product. It tends to wash all the color out of my hair, so I buy shampoo and conditioner that won't do that. The body wash onboard is some generic type but it's not so bad. You don't want to buy any of the above stuff onboard if you can avoid it because they only have tiny containers and charge a big premium - like 400% to buy it onboard. We leave whatever is left of these liquid products onboard the ship at the end of the cruise since we are headed for the airport and won't be able to take them on the plane.

When you board the plane, you will be in a queue to get onboard. As you approach your seat, quickly place your carryon in the bins above the seat anywhere you can find space and then immediately step out of the aisle and sit down and put your purse under the seat in front of you. Even though you think you will be carryon, there is always the possibility that the overhead bins will be full, so be sure to have a tag on your luggage with your name and address and also, inside information about where you are traveling to and what hotel you will stay in and what ship you will be on. This way, if you have to gate check your luggage, it has the best chance of making it to you. Do not be concerned if you must gate check your luggage - although you should take you laptop or IPAD out first. Since you are at the plane, the luggage will be put right into the hold, so not much chance of it getting lost. If somehow it does turn out that your luggage didn't make the plane, let the people in the lost luggage area in luggage claim know and have the taxi take you to a shopping mall to buy enough clothes to get you through your cruise and whatever else you might need. Don't wait around for your luggage to appear and lose your chance to get inexpensive clothes and underwear and costmetics. It may or it may not reappear in time for your cruise.

I mentioned about making sure your sinuses are clear when you board the plane BEFORE takeoff. You should do the same before landing, otherwise, your ears will get plugged up which is uncomfortable and makes it hard to hear and usually leads to an ear infection. The other thing to know is that the plane is an environment filled with germs. The tray table is probably the worst. Be careful not to touch your face and also, when you get off the plane, go to the restroom in the airport and wash your hands real good with soap and water. This will help prevent illness.

You mentioned birth certificates -- you're sure they're originals /certified copies, right? They almost certainly are, but this is the one thing you simply cannot afford to do wrong. And in addition you'll bring a state-issued ID, almost certainly a driver's license.

Eliminate those concerns about airplanes and liquids: Just mail your toiletries to your night-before hotel. Don't skimp on sunscreen.

If your suitcases are black (like everyone else's suitcases) put something on them to make them identifiable ... a lime-colored bandana or some colorful duct tape. Don't pack any electronics in your bags. Go to your computer and print out a two-sided paper with your first-night hotel address and your cell phone on one side /your home address on the other side. Put this INSIDE your suitcase just in case your suitcase is lost AND your tags are torn off.

As for how much money to take, I always look at the specific excursions I'm going to take /any other things I know I'll do during the trip ... and I put money for each into an envelope /label it. For example, one envelope might read, "Stingray excursion with Nativeway ... Tuesday, March 28 @ 9:00 am ... meet representative on the pier ... contact phone # _____" and that envelope would contain cash for the excursion plus small bills for the tip. I stash all the envelopes in a travel organizer that a travel agent once gave me ... and when I arrive on the ship, I store the envelopes in the safe. This means I KNOW I have all the money I need for the trip is planned, and I don't have to look in my wallet and think, "I can spend X amount, but I must keep X amount for tomorrow's excursion." And it means I KNOW I have exact change for the excursions I've planned and tips, so I won't be caught with only a $50 bill and a tour guide who doesn't have change.

As for other money, I don't take much. I quit buying souveniers years ago. My husband takes rolls of coins with which to play nickle slots; this is his way of monitoring how much he gambles: He knows he has X number of rolls per day.

Have you paid your tips in advance? It's just easier, but I usually take $30-50 in singles for tips to bartenders, etc.

I'm pretty sure our birth certificates are the original/certify copies . We sent in for them in Jan .

Bring wine unless you sail NCL. Skip or eat only a light breakfast on embarkation day so you can pig out at Lido buffet as soon as you get onboard.

Why do you say "unless you sail NCL"? On NCL you can bring as much wine as you wish so long as you pay the fee.

Check with the airline website to see what dimensions your carry on must be.

You will be allowed one personal item - like a purse - as well. I normally carry a small purse, so I usually bring a much larger tote with my purse in it to increase my storage space.

I normally bring a small cross body purse to hold my phone and cruise card (and glasses for night time shows). This allows my hands to be free. Often my pants to do not have pockets.

I am also an organizer. I use those protective/plastic sleeve protectors (the ones you use in a binder) for my paperwork. I group by time of use...so plane boarding passes, hotel reservations go into one. Ship boarding passes, on board credit, other pre-paid in another. Excursions in yet another. Post cruise and return plane boarding passes in another. I throw away the papers when done and now I have a free protector for the daily ship publications, etc.

If budget is not tight and your airline has where you can pay for priority boarding/TSA, etc, you may want to consider this for your first plane trip. Having TSA pre-check will mean you will not have to remove shoes/belt, no removing liquids bag, etc, plus you will get on the plane first and not have to worry about a place to stow your bags in overhead.

Bust most importantly....relax and have fun (ps, we took $400 cash for 7 day - 6 people)

Unless you have some form of liquid that you absolutely need to have with you during your flight, it easiest to just put them in your checked luggage.

If you will be carrying medications, make sure they are in your purse or carry-on luggage.

Assuming that you have both checked luggage and carry-on luggage, you should know that luggage handling at the port is similar to an airport. When you get to the port you will give your checked luggage to a baggage handler and take your carry-on piece with you through the registration/check-in process and then onto the ship. Since your checked luggage may not arrive at your cabin until late on the embarkation day, you should put anything you might need during the day (e.g. a bathing suit) in your carry on. Don't worry about dressy clothes that you might otherwise wish to wear to dinner, everything is very informal at dinner on embarkation day - so if you do not get your checked luggage in time to change for dinner - NO PROBLEM.

Finally, don't worry about all of the fine points. As long as you have the documentation to get on the plane and board the ship, along with any necessary medications, you will do fine. Anything else you can either do without or purchase on board or at your first port.

Have a wonderful cruise!