Shuttle buses

Mrs Tinkywinky

We have booked Select fare for our Baltic cruise in June and shuttle buses , if any , are included.

At the ports , does P and O provide the buses or the port? And are they all free on Select as stated?

Both and yes they are free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shuttle buses generally are provided by P&O, the port or the local authority depending which port you are referring to. Sometimes they are free of charge to all and other times the cheaper fare tariff people have to pay for the shuttle per journey. They pick you up/ drop you off at the quayside by the ship but at the far end picking up/dropping off might be in the town shopping area or it could simply be at the dock entrance gate. This would be where you are docked in a container port where the dock authority does not permit pedestrians to mill about in its environs.

Regards John

Shuttle bus details are on a 'sticky' post at the top of the board.

Sadly the link in that thread no longer works. P&O in their wisdom seem to have removed the info from their website. I wish I'd downloaded it last Christmas...

Maybe like arrival/departure times they don't want to inform beforehand in case they want to change plans :(

Sadly the link in that thread no longer works. P&O in their wisdom seem to have removed the info from their website. I wish I'd downloaded it last Christmas...

Maybe like arrival/departure times they don't want to inform beforehand in case they want to change plans :(

Or don't want saver fares to know that some of the shuttles are free to everyone anyway :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Chargeable shuttles average less than 2 per cruise normally, when you take account of free port shuttles, and ports where walking straight into town is possible. So not really a major valuable benefit for select passengers.

Chargeable shuttles average less than 2 per cruise normally, when you take account of free port shuttles, and ports where walking straight into town is possible. So not really a major valuable benefit for select passengers.

Well on Princess we had 3 paid shuttles. One $7 pp each way, one $5 pp each way and one €5 flat charge. That was Livorno.

I make that about $58.00 per couple. So not good value ???

The one in Livorno is set on by the port so the charge is paid as you get on the bus.

You have to pay it if you sail Princess or any other cruise line I think it's the same for P&O although some might correct me.

I must admit I will try and walk from the ship where possible but it looks like Stockholm , Helsinki and Copenhagen are too far. Anyone had experience of these ports?

I have looked on the port websites to see where Arcadia docks at the ports we are visiting.

I must admit I will try and walk from the ship where possible but it looks like Stockholm , Helsinki and Copenhagen are too far. Anyone had experience of these ports?

I have looked on the port websites to see where Arcadia docks at the ports we are visiting.

In my experience P&O recently seem to dock at the least favourable and possibly cheaper docking locations. When we docked at Copenhagen we and the majority of the ship walked, I seem to remember it was easy and fairly short from where we docked, here is more info:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/copenhagen-09-30-2012.pdf

Sorry I can't remember about the other ports.

Never paid for a shuttle yet on Princess, always been able to do my own thing.

Where is your Crown Princess review Dai!

Coming.

:)

Stockholm and Helsinki have Ho Ho buses available in the port, but these are expensive, so if P&O do a free shuttle here then I would use them.

Copenhagen is walk-able if you berth at Langalinie, but if you are at the new cruise terminal its a heck of a long walk, but there are service buses that run from the port and drop you off at the little Mermaid or at Stroget, as well as Ho Ho buses.

And of course all the ports have taxis available, which can be economic if 4 share the cost..

In my experience P&O recently seem to dock at the least favourable and possibly cheaper docking locations. When we docked at Copenhagen we and the majority of the ship walked, I seem to remember it was easy and fairly short from where we docked, here is more info:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/copenhagen-09-30-2012.pdf

Must be on different cruises to me.

Florry, that port data is from 2012 and a bit out date now, the new Ocean Quay terminal is now operational which is further out than the freeport ones shown on Toms port guides, however Langalinie is still used by small to medium sized ships, so the OP may be lucky on Arcadia.

I don't always agree with Dai but for Copenhagen at least,P&O are not using a cheaper berth than others, Celebrity and RCI's large ships also use Ocean Quay.

I took an arcadia Baltic cruise a few years ago and in both Copenhagen and Stockholm we berthed in the traditional locations. There were shuttle buses but I just used the nearby HoHo water buses. If you don't mind paying that is!. In Stockholm there was a huge queue in the rain for the bus so I walked a couple of hundred yards the other way and took the boat. My boat was not due for 15 mins but I was offered shelter on another, not even the same company.:)

I recommend you check out the water buses as part of a do it yourself excursion.

Florry, that port data is from 2012 and a bit out date now, the new Ocean Quay terminal is now operational which is further out than the freeport ones shown on Toms port guides, however Langalinie is still used by small to medium sized ships, so the OP may be lucky on Arcadia.

I don't always agree with Dai but for Copenhagen at least,P&O are not using a cheaper berth than others, Celebrity and RCI's large ships also use Ocean Quay.

Ah ok, let's hope she berths at the Langalini, I remember the ship was close to the mermaid and the walk very nice.

Perhaps not in Copenhagen but on recent cruises we have had the least favourable berth with Celebrity ships taking prime positions. [emoji53]

I would love to go back to Copenhagen it is one of the ports which stands out in my memories as we had such a lovely day. I seem to recall lunch ashore was quite expensive though.

Stockholm and Helsinki have Ho Ho buses available in the port, but these are expensive, so if P&O do a free shuttle here then I would use them.

Copenhagen is walk-able if you berth at Langalinie, but if you are at the new cruise terminal its a heck of a long walk, but there are service buses that run from the port and drop you off at the little Mermaid or at Stroget, as well as Ho Ho buses.

And of course all the ports have taxis available, which can be economic if 4 share the cost..

Thankyou for the info. According to the port website we are due to dock at Langalinie .

There is a very pleasant walkway from the dock at Helsinki to the town. It isn't a short walk but very pleasant on a sunny day.

Copenhagen similarly has an enjoyable pedestrian walk past the little mermaid.