Explorer...Rome to Miami

forevertravel

It is not fair to the paying customers who can handle a three man tour and people show up who clearly can handle only one man. There really needs to be some weeding. I was on a rainforest hike excursion and a couple of people showed up in sandals carrying an umbrella. Really?????!!!!!!

Again I will say, they need to have a stair case test. For the moderate excursions, you have to climb one flight of stairs. For the 3 man level, 4 flights of stairs plus proper footwear.

Again I will say, they need to have a stair case test. For the moderate excursions, you have to climb one flight of stairs. For the 3 man level, 4 flights of stairs plus proper footwear.

Hi Rachel - agree with you but how does Regent enforce this without insulting their guests? They have difficulty telling someone in shorts (or bathrobes) at 6:30 p.m. to kindly go their room and change. Refusing to allow someone on an excursion could cause problems.

P.S. Really hope that you enjoy your February cruise - the one we had to cancel (but booked a similar for 2018).

I can see it now. "Sir, I'm sorry but you only climbed three of the four flights of stairs and therefore you cannot join the rigorous walking excursion. Sir? Sir? Get a doctor right away!"

They would need to state the requirements up front at time of booking--if you can't do 4 flights of stairs you will not be allowed on this excursion. Lots of things today have fitness requirements to reduce the liability risk of the company. This is not unreasonable.

What if a clearly unfit person goes out on an excursion that they can't possibly do and dies? Their family could sue saying that regent should have known, based on the person's inability to walk more than 5 feet without getting winded, which was clear to even the most casual observer, that they should not go on the excursion. And that regent had a duty to protect their customer. Therefore regent was negligent in allowing the person to go on the excursion that they were unfit for.

It's difficult to sue cruise lines successfully for events that occur during the cruise. The clear warnings about the need for levels of fitness on certain excursions make it particularly difficult to prevail in cases of an injury or other adverse health problem due to the excursion's rigor, assuming those descriptions are reasonably accurate.

Edited by JPR

If one takes the time to actually read the T&C at the end of the catalog and that is included with the papers sent by Regent, it is very difficult to successfully sue a cruise line. I know of someone that was on one of the islands on a cruise sponsored excursion (NOT Regent) and the bus went off the road and she lost her leg below the knee - this happened about seven years ago and is still being processed through the legal system.

gnomie :)

Edited by gnomie1

If one takes the time to actually read the T&C at the end of the catalog and that is included with the papers sent by Regent, it is very difficult to successfully sue a cruise line. I know of someone that was on one of the islands on a cruise sponsored excursion (NOT Regent) and the bus went off the road and she lost her leg below the knee - this happened about seven years ago and is still being processed through the legal system.

Very true and in addition, at least before being bought by NCLH, while PCH was and is headquartered in Miami, they were not before the buyout a US Company being incorporated in Panama. Believe that still to be true but, do not know for sure. Being incorporated in another company means having to file suit in that country with would further complicate any law suits.

They would need to state the requirements up front at time of booking--if you can't do 4 flights of stairs you will not be allowed on this excursion. .

This could actually prove problematic - although I usually average b/w 15,000 and 22,000 steps per day and can walk miles (and since I live in NYC, sometimes walking is faster than a cab, esp during this time of year!), I have problems with stairs. If I see that a tour requires a large number of stairs, I do not select that tour.

Also, my Mom who is approaching 90 can easily walk two miles a day unassisted, but she has problems with stairs. When we got on ship and read the updated excursion listing, and not wanting to "slow down the group", she turned in her tickets for quite a few excursions and yet there were people on the same excursions who were far less mobile than she is.

What really irks me are the people who are on excursions that they are unfit for and then blame either the tour guide and/or Regent for not adjusting the tour to their ability when it clearly stated "three men".

It's difficult to sue cruise lines successfully for events that occur during the cruise. The clear warnings about the need for levels of fitness on certain excursions make it particularly difficult to prevail in cases of an injury or other adverse health problem due to the excursion's rigor, assuming those descriptions are reasonably accurate.

Thanks for your input. I did suspect that the "clear warnings" gives Regent an extra layer of protection against lawsuits. IMO, this issue is not about suing Regent as much as it is about passengers ignoring the excursion warnings.

While annoying to be on an excursion with people that shouldn't be there in the first place, I do understand how difficult it would be to tell a disabled person that they cannot go on an excursion. If someone is obviously disabled, I feel that they need to be personally spoken to and told exactly how difficult the excursion is. Maybe they need to sign a form acknowledging this conversation. While this may not stop people from going on the excursion, it may give them time to think about whether or not they should go.

P.S. I "actually take the time" to read the Regent's Terms and Conditions contained on their website as well as with our documents and in brochures. Reading this will not necessarily stop questions from passengers.

Interesting perspective. I wonder if Regent is legally responsible for passengers that ignore their recommendations regarding fitness for an excursion that is being done by a contractor. Any legal opinions out there?

McDonalds can be held liable because a woman thinks between her thighs is the right place to store hot coffee. Once lawyers get involved anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

McDonalds can be held liable because a woman thinks between her thighs is the right place to store hot coffee. Once lawyers get involved anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love the way you phrased that - what a visual:) It does seem that cruise lines are governed by a different set of rules than most U.S. based companies. Although not legally responsible, they do not want their passengers to be hurt on an excursion which is why the "warnings" are issued (and sometimes ignored).

What really irks me are the people who are on excursions that they are unfit for and then blame either the tour guide and/or Regent for not adjusting the tour to their ability when it clearly stated "three men".

I can't remember the exact excursion, but we had one where there was an older gentleman who had NO business being on that particular excursion, and was holding everyone up and causing very evident frustration on the part of the guide.

His companion would apologize to people saying, "I'm sorry he's having difficulties on this tour, but this is the one thing he absolutely wanted to see on this cruise." Well for the love of Pete, if that's the case - hire a private guide!!!

:mad:

I can't remember the exact excursion, but we had one where there was an older gentleman who had NO business being on that particular excursion, and was holding everyone up and causing very evident frustration on the part of the guide.

His companion would apologize to people saying, "I'm sorry he's having difficulties on this tour, but this is the one thing he absolutely wanted to see on this cruise." Well for the love of Pete, if that's the case - hire a private guide!!!

:mad:

I agree with your solution, however, I think to some extent Regent has caused this problem by making excursions "Free"/ included in the price. Many people want to get their moneys worth and will not spend additional $$$ on private guides or excursions.WE were on this Explorer cruise and did our own thing in a couple of ports, but not everybody is willing to. Wish Regent would make excursions optional but I think that train has already left the station.

Edited by cruiseluv

I agree with your solution, however, I think to some extent Regent has caused this problem by making excursions "Free"/ included in the price. Many people want to get their moneys worth and will not spend additional $$$ on private guides or excursions.WE were on this Explorer cruise and did our own thing in a couple of ports, but not everybody is willing to. Wish Regent would make excursions optional but I think that train has already left the station.

Agree with you 100%. We also did our thing in several ports and did two "Regent's Choice" excursions on "our" leg of the cruise. Interestingly, we did not have people with mobility problems on our these excursions (no doubt because we paid for them). IMO, there is still a glimmer of hope that we will eventually be able to opt out of excursions.

Hope you enjoyed your Explorer cruise as much as we did.:)

Regent may contribute to people wanting to take the free excursions rather than booking independent arrangements, but my point was that this guy KNEW he was a boat anchor and still went. That's not Regent's fault; it's the selfish, inconsiderate oaf's fault. If you're a One Walker person, don't sign up for a Three Walker excursion. It's that simple.

Wish Regent would make excursions optional but I think that train has already left the station.

I understood that Regent excursions are optional; I hadn't realised they were compulsory ;)

Seriously though, I agree that some (the minority) will spoil their own, and others, enjoyment by over-indulging in included benefits just to make sure they get their money's worth

Personally I would not like to see the end of included excursions. For us it sets Regent apart as a truly all inclusive cruiseline

I understood that Regent excursions are optional; I hadn't realised they were compulsory ;)

Seriously though, I agree that some (the minority) will spoil their own, and others, enjoyment by over-indulging in included benefits just to make sure they get their money's worth

Personally I would not like to see the end of included excursions. For us it sets Regent apart as a truly all inclusive cruiseline

I don't think that anyone wants Regent to discontinue included excursions - just would like an "opt out" option that includes a credit for not taking included excursions. Regent could have passengers that opt out of included excursions and decide that they want to take one, pay for it - similar to what we now do with Regent Choice Excursions. This would be easy* for Regent and for passengers - especially long time Regent passengers that are revisiting many ports and want to do "their own thing".

*By "easy" I mean that Regent's computers already handle passengers that wish included air and hotel and those that opt out. Unlike Regent's all-inclusive experience onboard that, should not be messed with, air, hotels and excursions are items contracted out and are not part of the onboard Regent experience. Also, Regent did not have any difficulty taking away the included pre-cruise night at a hotel for non-concierge or above guests so they would easily handle this change (if they want to).

My number one issue! This will bring out my "bitchy resting face" and people who do that are my sworn enemies rest of the cruise!:mad:

I posted a very positive review of Explorer because our experience was so good. However, I guess Cruise Critic didn't approve it because I have not received email to let me know it's been posted, nor is it there.

As to passengers with mobility issues signing up for tours even though they are told there are walking issues, I saw several of those. We went to Alhambra which required a lot of walking, several people had issues walking and naturally, complained about it. While I understand they want to see things, those tours are not for those with mobility issues. A problem for Regent because how can you refuse a passenger.

I too enjoyed the Rome to Miami crossing. About the Alhambra tour, it is listed on the Regent website as a 2 walker tour. I have a knee problem so I am a little slow till I get a new one. I figured I could do a two walker tour. Once on board I read the paperwork and saw my 2 walker tour was changed to a 3 walker. I cancelled and received a refund. Perhaps the updated info was not seen. But I do wonder why, today, it is still listed as a 2 walker.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I too enjoyed the Rome to Miami crossing. About the Alhambra tour, it is listed on the Regent website as a 2 walker tour. I have a knee problem so I am a little slow till I get a new one. I figured I could do a two walker tour. Once on board I read the paperwork and saw my 2 walker tour was changed to a 3 walker. I cancelled and received a refund. Perhaps the updated info was not seen. But I do wonder why, today, it is still listed as a 2 walker.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

At least you read the description and acted appropriately. A lot of people don't. On our Alaska trip, there was a very strenuous hike pretty much straight up for 3 miles. One lady, who clearly had not done any physical activity at all in a very long time, was on it. After about 50 feet, she started complaining and wanted to go back to the ship. One of the guides actually took her back while the rest of us went on. It was strenuous for me, and I work out at least 45 minutes every day. In the description, it clearly stated what would be required to do the hike, but she still signed up. It puts the tour guides in a difficult position. Personally, I think they should have just walked her back to the van and made her sit there for 4 hours for being stupid. But they were nice enough to take her back to the ship.

At least you read the description and acted appropriately. A lot of people don't. On our Alaska trip, there was a very strenuous hike pretty much straight up for 3 miles. One lady, who clearly had not done any physical activity at all in a very long time, was on it. After about 50 feet, she started complaining and wanted to go back to the ship. One of the guides actually took her back while the rest of us went on. It was strenuous for me, and I work out at least 45 minutes every day. In the description, it clearly stated what would be required to do the hike, but she still signed up. It puts the tour guides in a difficult position. Personally, I think they should have just walked her back to the van and made her sit there for 4 hours for being stupid. But they were nice enough to take her back to the ship.

+1 - love your response!

I don't think that anyone wants Regent to discontinue included excursions - just would like an "opt out" option that includes a credit for not taking included excursions. Regent could have passengers that opt out of included excursions and decide that they want to take one, pay for it - similar to what we now do with Regent Choice Excursions. This would be easy* for Regent and for passengers - especially long time Regent passengers that are revisiting many ports and want to do "their own thing".).

We totally agree that this would be a great and easy solution. We rarely use the ship excursions and always wonder how many other people are not using them. That has to actually be quite a benefit for Regent with less slots to pay for.... yet we all have paid for with our cruise fare.