Mobile Passport, Pt Everglades now available.

oneputt18

I just now disembarked at port Everglades.

Mobile passport is active there.

Global entry is active there.

Each has a separate line.

Two family members can check in on one phone.

Mobile passport kept giving me, and many others, an error message. Fortunately I have global entry. Separate and slightly slower line because fewer ppl had mobile passport.

It's a HUGE improvement. The regular line was very very very long.

We just used it successfully this weekend. Once more people start using it, I do not think it will reduce time at all.

We used it for our family of four. Each person's passport needs to be scanned into the computer similar to the way an electronic boarding pass is on an airplane. This was not a quick process as it took longer to scan in than an agent normally spent looking at each passport. The agent also needed to look at each passport the way they normally do, so no time saving there.

We had a separate line that went vary fast because not many were using it, but the actual time in front of the agent was actually a bit longer. Like I said, with more people using it, it will slow down the lines.

Where it will save you time is that you will not need to fill out the custom's form. It will save the government time because they do not need to process the paper forms. But time in line, unless the computer gets faster, I don't think it will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just now disembarked at port Everglades.

Mobile passport is active there.

Global entry is active there.

Each has a separate line.

Two family members can check in on one phone.

Mobile passport kept giving me, and many others, an error message. Fortunately I have global entry. Separate and slightly slower line because fewer ppl had mobile passport.

It's a HUGE improvement. The regular line was very very very long.

So after you bonged out did you bypass the long line to get to where customs is or did you still have to stay in that line?

Like the Port Everglades press release a few days ago, the Miami Herald's article omits the fact that this program is available to Canadians too. I've already downloaded the app, scanned in DW's and my passports, and our profiles show a nice little Canadian flag.

Is this necessary if I have global entry?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, when I sailed on Oasis on Easter week, there was hardly anyone in the GE line and went very smooth. The only hang up was that we needed the GE card, but when we applied for it at Newark airport they told us that it is linked to our passport and the card was not needed. Thank God we had a letter of approval with us as we left the card home, as instructed.

No, when I sailed on Oasis on Easter week, there was hardly anyone in the GE line and went very smooth. The only hang up was that we needed the GE card, but when we applied for it at Newark airport they told us that it is linked to our passport and the card was not needed. Thank God we had a letter of approval with us as we left the card home, as instructed.

You don't need the card at airports because they have kiosks. You need the card at Port Everglades because they don't have the kiosks. You also need the card entering the US at the Canadian border to use the Sentri and Nexus lanes.

Edited by Charles4515

We just got off Oasis Friday and used this app. We by-passed the very long line for the separate mobile Passport line. You do have to enter all the passport info into the app the first time. We filled out info about returning from cruise and the customs form on the app. They do scan each person but I thought it was quick (they were all in my phone) Our agent did not look at our actual passports.. but a different agent did check the people before us in line... It was new for them as well so not sure they were sure how to use it. He wanted our paper customs form but I told him I answered all the questions in the app. Still, it saved us a ton of time and I would use it again.

We just got off Oasis Friday and used this app. We by-passed the very long line for the separate mobile Passport line. You do have to enter all the passport info into the app the first time. We filled out info about returning from cruise and the customs form on the app. They do scan each person but I thought it was quick (they were all in my phone) Our agent did not look at our actual passports.. but a different agent did check the people before us in line... It was new for them as well so not sure they were sure how to use it. He wanted our paper customs form but I told him I answered all the questions in the app. Still, it saved us a ton of time and I would use it again.

So after you bonged out did you bypass the line to get to the luggage/agent area or was it the one after you got your luggage?

We cruise about three times a year and fly round trip about once a year. We use a passport and carry our passport card in our wallet. Should we up grade? :confused:

If you mean should you get this free app, it all depends on which cruise ports and airports you are using. Right now, Port Everglades is the only seaport using Mobile Passport Control, and there is still a limited number of airports. Still, it is free, so if you have a smartphone you might as well get the app and take advantage of it when you can.