Victoria BC - really what is there to do in such a limited time

txtwinmom

How much time do you have?

I've been to Victoria many times, for me I would try to be packed ahead of time so I could get off the ship. Even if time is short you could still walk to the town / waterfront & look around. I'm not a beer fan but I hear that this is a big thing there. Or get a bite to eat - just avoid any restaurant with the sidewalk pimps.

Especially since we get in late and leave later and luggage has to be out that night - is it really worth getting off the ship here?

Yes. There's a lot to do and see, and downtown is less than a mile away. Walk down to the inner harbour past the parliament buildings.

Somethings that you may care to do in Victoria include a walk on Government St. and visiting some of the unique shops, a horse drawn carriage ride, watching the buskers on the causeway of the Inner Harbour across the street from the Empress hotel, perhaps a visit or a drink in the venerable Empress Hotel, watch the Legislature Buildings being illuminated in the evening, perhaps even a self-directed walking tour.

www.victoriacarriage.com/

http://www.tallyhotours.com/

http://www.causewayartists.ca/

http://www.downtownvictoria.ca/index.php/downtown-maps/walking-maps

Victoria is beautiful. It really is unique, with the flower baskets & old fashioned lamp posts. Still beautiful lit up after dark. I hope all of you with short port stops will still get off the ship to look around. At least take some photos!

Sad to say but the only reason these ships have to stop in Victoria is that they are foreign flagged (registered) and U.S. regulations state that such ships cannot operate exclusively between American ports. That's why so many go from Vancouver since it too counts as a foreign post; trips starting or stopping in Seattle have to make a stop in Canada so Victoria is it.

My favorite example was when NCL operated cruises in the Hawaiian Islands. They had to make an excursion to remote Fanning Island; those operating between Southern California and the islands paid a visit to Ensenada, BC.

Victoria is incredible; I wouldn't even remotely suggest you stay on the ship. I know it's frustrating to think of your limited time there, but since it's July, most of the shops in the downtown core will remain open (unless it's a Sunday night). As mentioned, it's a short walk to the downtown area and the weather in July is lovely. You might go to the Canada board and type in "Victoria" in the "Search this forum" box on the right hand side. You don't have to start a new thread as there are numerous threads on what to do there in the evening already running.

Have fun.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39 <---Canada board, click here

Sad to say but the only reason these ships have to stop in Victoria is that they are foreign flagged (registered) and U.S. regulations state that such ships cannot operate exclusively between American ports. That's why so many go from Vancouver since it too counts as a foreign post; trips starting or stopping in Seattle have to make a stop in Canada so Victoria is it.

"It too counts as a foreign" ?? What would make you think that a city in another sovereign country wouldn't?

I never said it didn't. I'm just making the point Vancouver and Victoria are the primary west coast Canadian ports for foreign-flagged ships (e.g Bahamas and others) sailing to Alaska with the majority of itineraries still leaving from Vancouver. Of course another sovereign country other than Canada would technically work but none are as convenient as two of British Columbia's most beautiful cities on the way to Alaska.

For a cruise ship sailing from Seattle or other west coast American ports, Victoria is simply more convenient even if the stop is too brief to enjoy the sights of this beautiful city.

I think there is an evening Market that you could visit? If your port day is Thursday - Sidney's outdoor market every Thursday night from June 5 - August 28. 5.30 to 9.30. This was last year though so I hope it will still be happening. Can anyone confirm?

Victoria is a great city, but we did not bother to get off the ship on either of our Alaskan cruises. We had spent two nights there a few years before our first cruise to Alaska, so we had seen most of the highlights--the Parliament, downtown waterfront, Empress Hotel, and Buchart Gardens.

We just got home from our Alaska cruise on Saturday. Our ship was in Victoria on Friday night from 6pm-12a. Victoria is such a wonderful city, and I just can not say enough about it. Definitely get off the ship and go see it! You will have all day to pack ahead of time. We took a taxi that dropped us off in front of the legislature building. We walked around for an hour or so, checking out some of the shops. Don't miss Rogers' chocolates, yummy! Then as we were walking back there was a ceremony in front of the Legislature building with a whole set of bagpipers. It was absolutely amazing. We then took a horse drawn carriage ride just at sunset, that went up around the city and up to Beacon Hill Park. It was so magical and romantic. Afterwards we took a few pictures of the city lit up at night, and then took a cab back to the ship. We got back to the ship around 10pm or so. I couldn't have asked for a better evening.

We really enjoyed the short stop. Weather was beautiful---blue sky after much rain. We took the path to downtown along the harbor. The path is very well marked, you will not get lost. We had a drink on the patio of the big hotel--the Empress (I think). We were on first sail at start of may, and it gets dark a little earlier. If I were on a trip later in the summer, and if I weren't simply happy to be warm blue skies, I would have done the evening garden tour. (not complaining about the trip or rain, trip was great, just cold and rainy, so we decided at last minute not to do garden tour because it would be dark soon. Note, I hear the garden is nicely illuminated, but we would have had just a bit of daylight. I'd spend the $for the tour gladly had we would have had a bit more daylight). The whale watch was nt offered either because it was so early in the season.... Despite all of this (we didn't do garden tour and whale watch tour wasn't offered), we very much enjoyed the stop in Victoria.

Cost savings tip: I believe you can get a tour to the gardens from a tour operator on government st. We considered it, but we wouldn't have had enough time given it was so early in the season.

Another vote to get off the ship! We were there last week (admittedly for an entire day and evening) for the first time and were very impressed -- it went down on my list of places I would return to even for a few days land visit. I would think the ship will have excursions to Butchart Gardens (or, as someone else said, you may be able to do them on your own) - they are incredible. Our tour guide (on a ship's tour) narrated his way through downtown (and the return) which added even more value to the tour.

Butchart Gardens are amazing, you can get your own tours from downtown. Close by is Beacon Hill Park, free and in walking distance from Empress.

The Sidney Market is still on Thursday nights 530 till 830, but a bit far away. The Museam is top notch as well, just right there. We hire a taxi a lot of the time to take us around the city as well. Vista !8 is a roof top restaurant with a beautiful view. Most shops stay open for tourists off the ships.:)

One of my most favorite stops ever. Yes, don't miss it. One year we got off the boat and toured Buchart Gardens and there was time. Another year we just walked around the city and there was a great outdoor concert taking place. Sat on the grass and listened. The next year we had dinner in the lounge at the Empress and went to some pubs and just socialized with the locals. Some of the most friendly people ever!!!!

I hope you will consider getting off the ship. As others have said - it's worth it! It's a beautiful city. We were tired and just walked around the city and walked down to the beach for a while before heading back to the ship. If you don't want to do too much you could always get pay for a Pedicab tour. They'll pick you up right there at the port.

It's a great place and perfect way to end down the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question too about Victoria ... is there anything in the building at the dock besides customs? Are there shops/vendors? Just curious.

Our first trip we docked in the downtown area harbor and had the whole day to explore (loved it). 2nd trip arrived late (7pm and had to be back on board at 11 pm) so we didn't get off the ship. I grew up in WA, so have been to Victoria many times. It is always beautiful (even the gardens at dark).

it is a shame the time is so limited...pretty city, they have some neat locals dressed up in Victorian costumes to greet you

took shuttle bus into town $8 round trip...wanted to do horse/carriage but

just couldn't get others to decide in time so we just walked around...

saw the Empress, lovely hotel...I would not buy the ship tour to the tea there however, just does not look worth it to me.

Here are a couple pictures

event_127154172.jpeg

Lots of shuttles..$8 round trip to take you into town or you can walk.

We took shuttle

Empress Hotel very pretty...we walked around in there

event_127154202.jpeg

event_127154222.jpeg

Topiary whale at Empress

event_127162742.jpeg

event_127161552.jpeg

Sunset was late in Victoria - so pretty !!

event_127154192.jpeg __________________

Archived