Email from HAL with information about Caribbean cruises

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:55 PM.
New Orleans, LA/Melbourne, Australia
1,318 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
I got one too for my December 27, 2017 Partial Canal Transit cruise.

I was really surprised because the only scheduled stop that may have had damage was Half Moon Cay. The other stops are Aruba, Curacao, Columbia, and Costa Rica.

I guess I got it because of the scheduled Half Moon Cay stop, but I can't see any reason the rest of the itinerary would be re-scheduled or changed.
USA
5,513 Posts
Joined May 2012
Did you folks receive your emails directly from HAL or through your TA if you're working with one? I'm still waiting to find out what will happen with our cruise. We are scheduled for Dec 8-22, 2017 Southern Caribbean on the Veendam. Tortola and St Martin are on our itinerary. I guess it may be too soon to hear about anything this far out. I imagine HAL is working very hard to make changes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
You can view my wife's cruise pictures on her website Nancy's Oasis and individual cruise links below my cruise countdown.

2016 14 day Alaska Maasdam Ketchikan,Juneau,Dawes,Icy Strait Point,Anchorage,Homer,Kodiak,Hubbard,Sitka, Victoria,BC
2015 Christmas Adventure of the Seas St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados
2014 Christmas Island Princess ~ Partial Panama Canal with Columbia, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, Aruba
2013 Christmas Adventure of the Seas ~ So.Caribbean St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao
2012 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W.Caribbean Cozumel (Tulum) Jamaica, and Grand Cayman
2012 Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier
2011 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W. Caribbean Belize (Lamanai), Roatan, Costa Maya (Kohunlich), Cozumel
2011 Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Cozumel and Progresso (Chichen Itza)
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Owners Suite Visit from the Upsell Fairy - 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest ~ Eastern Caribbean Nassau, Freeport, Key West
2010 Caribbean Princess ~ NE/Canada Upgrade Fairy Visit FREE PH Suite - Newport,Boston,Bar Harbor,St. John,Halifax
2009 Star Princess ~ Alaska Inside Passage Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm
2008 Christmas Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Progreso (Uxmal) Cozumel
2007 Carnival Conquest ~ Western Caribbean Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
2,327 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by JimAOk1945
Did you folks receive your emails directly from HAL or through your TA if you're working with one? I'm still waiting to find out what will happen with our cruise. We are scheduled for Dec 8-22, 2017 Southern Caribbean on the Veendam. Tortola and St Martin are on our itinerary. I guess it may be too soon to hear about anything this far out. I imagine HAL is working very hard to make changes.

We got the email directly from HAL even though we booked through a TA. Our cruise is Nov 28-Dec20. I expect there will be some changes to ports in ours and we will be updated once the cruise is closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Coming up:
Koningsdam: 21 day Caribbean November 2017
Oosterdam: Mexico February 2018
Alicante, Spain
5,719 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by JimAOk1945
We are on your cruise and booked with a TA. We got the email directly from HAL. The wording is exactly as above.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carol

Past cruises
1 P&O, 1 Radisson (now Regent), 4 NCL, 3 Festival (no longer exists), 4 RCI, 6 Windstar, 11 HAL

HAL

RCI Platinum

New Jersey
9,037 Posts
Joined May 2007
We booked through a TA and got an email direct from HAL. Our cruise isn't until January. The itinerary includes St. Thomas, so I expect to see some changes.

I wonder if they didn't simply send the email to anyone who has a Caribbean cruise booked. That's much easier than trying to figure out which cruises are likely to have changes and which are not. Better to tell everyone than risk missing someone who needs to know.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
11 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Chicagoland
2,458 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed my day on St. Croix a few years back. It is not a rich island economically, but scenically lovely with history to spare. We had a private tour to the Cruzan rum distillery and a long wander in Christiansted. It is probably the logical substitution for St Thomas and won't disappoint.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
'Life is short, drink the good wine first'

2017: Prinsendam 14 day Scotland/Ireland, Amsterdam RT; Volendam 16 day Trans-Pacific, Yokohama to Vancouver; Eurodam 7 day West. Caribbean, Ft L. RT.
2016: Rotterdam 18 day Viking Passage, Rotterdam to Boston; Noordam 13 day Australia/New Zealand, Auckland to Sydney; Zuiderdam 11 day partial Panama Canal, Ft L. RT
2015: Amsterdam 16 day Incan Empire, Lima to San Diego; Oosterdam 3 day Coastal, Vancouver to San Francisco; Botticelli 6 day Seine, Paris RT; Veendam 7 day Bermuda, Boston RT; Volendam 17 day North Pacific Crossing, Kobe to Vancouver
2014: Veendam 18 day Circle Hawaii, San Diego RT; Seine Princess 4 day Seine, Paris RT; Veendam 7 day Historic Coasts, Boston RT; Noordam 11 day Med. Explorer, Rome to Barcelona; Celebrity Century 8 day Eastern Caribbean, Ft L. RT
2013: Zuiderdam 7 day Eastern Caribbean, Ft L. RT; Eurodam 7 day Norse Legends, Amsterdam RT ; Veendam 7 day New England/Canada, Boston to Quebec.
2012: Volendam (HAL) 7 day Alaska, Vancouver RT CC Review
1980s: SS Dolphin IV 3 day & 4 day cruises; Vista Fjord (Cunard) 7 day Baltic Cruise; Rhapsody (Paquet Cruise Line) 7 day Alaska cruise (Statendam IV); QE II (Cunard) Transatlantic, NYC to Southampton.
1970s: Skyward (NCL) 7 day Caribbean; Mermoz (Paquet Cruise Line) 10 day Western Caribbean; Orpheus (Epirotiki-Swan's Hellenic Cruises) 2 week Greece/Turkey; Royal Viking Sea: 2 week North Cape.
North Carolina
4,503 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
We are booked on the Eurodam...11-12-17...thru Hal...no email yet...our ports include St. Maarten, HMC, San Juan and Grand Turk...pretty sure we'll get to them all except St. Maarten
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jane
New Jersey
9,037 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by shrimp56
I thoroughly enjoyed my day on St. Croix a few years back. It is not a rich island economically, but scenically lovely with history to spare. We had a private tour to the Cruzan rum distillery and a long wander in Christiansted. It is probably the logical substitution for St Thomas and won't disappoint.
I would not complain if that turns out to be our substitution, as I've been to St Thomas many times and have not been to St Croix. What was the docking situation? Dock or anchor?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
Kentucky
4,907 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
we are on Eurodam Nov. 5 thru 12th to St. Marteen (out of course), and Antiga and Barbada - don't know yet what we will be given, but pray for the recovery of those effected by hurricane
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sandy

HA MSM - Nov. 2017

Crown Princess - CAS - Jan. 20-28, 2018
Emerald Princess - CAS - Alaska - 9/9-9/16/2018
Caribbean Princess - CAS - 2/16-2/23/2019
Northern Indiana
310 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by sail7seas
Thank you for posting the letter. I wonder why the writer did not sign their name.they signed the company name but are they nameless? It may be a particular oddiity of mine but I think if it is worth writing and sending to your 'customers, is it not worth taking owners ship of and signing ? JMO.. Who wrote the letter and/or okayed that it be sent?

OP it was vert good of you to share it with us.. thank you..
You can't be serious?! The directive more than likely came from a group of well informed corporate decision makers and was drafted by an administrative assistant. Does the name of a person you have never met or will likely never meet matter? If it was signed, it could have been signed by a pen name for all you would know. Sorry, but to me content is more important.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Disney Magic 1/05 (Eastern)
Carnival Miracle 2/06 (Western)
Disney Magic 12/06 (Western)
Carnival Miracle 10/07 (Southern)
Disney Magic 2/08 (Eastern)
Carnival Freedom 9/09 (Western)
HAL Eurodam 3/10 (Eastern)
HAL Oosterdam 3/11 (Mexico)
HAL Noordam 12/11 (ABC Islands & More)
Disney Fantasy 9/12 (Western)
RCL Allure of the Seas 10/13 (Western)
HAL Nieuw Amesterdam (B2B) 11/14
HAL Eurodam Tropical (B2B) 11/16
HAL Eurodam Sister Cruise 11/17
USA
5,513 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by English_in_Spain
We are on your cruise and booked with a TA. We got the email directly from HAL. The wording is exactly as above.
Thanks for your reply. I haven't received an email yet but hope to soon. It will be interesting to see what the substitutes will be. I'm sure wherever we go will be nice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
You can view my wife's cruise pictures on her website Nancy's Oasis and individual cruise links below my cruise countdown.

2016 14 day Alaska Maasdam Ketchikan,Juneau,Dawes,Icy Strait Point,Anchorage,Homer,Kodiak,Hubbard,Sitka, Victoria,BC
2015 Christmas Adventure of the Seas St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados
2014 Christmas Island Princess ~ Partial Panama Canal with Columbia, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, Aruba
2013 Christmas Adventure of the Seas ~ So.Caribbean St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao
2012 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W.Caribbean Cozumel (Tulum) Jamaica, and Grand Cayman
2012 Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier
2011 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W. Caribbean Belize (Lamanai), Roatan, Costa Maya (Kohunlich), Cozumel
2011 Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Cozumel and Progresso (Chichen Itza)
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Owners Suite Visit from the Upsell Fairy - 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest ~ Eastern Caribbean Nassau, Freeport, Key West
2010 Caribbean Princess ~ NE/Canada Upgrade Fairy Visit FREE PH Suite - Newport,Boston,Bar Harbor,St. John,Halifax
2009 Star Princess ~ Alaska Inside Passage Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm
2008 Christmas Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Progreso (Uxmal) Cozumel
2007 Carnival Conquest ~ Western Caribbean Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel
908 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by TrolleyGirl
You can't be serious?! The directive more than likely came from a group of well informed corporate decision makers and was drafted by an administrative assistant. Does the name of a person you have never met or will likely never meet matter? If it was signed, it could have been signed by a pen name for all you would know. Sorry, but to me content is more important.
This is exactly what I was thinking They take the opportunity to communicate with their customers and it is lacking because it doesn't have a name on the bottom? I wouldn't want to deal with the public these days for all the tea in China You are continually damned if you do and damned if you don't
Arlington, Virginia
2,639 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
We booked directly with HAL for an Eastern Caribbean cruise (which included St. Maarten) scheduled for January, but we haven't heard anything! Thanks for posting your email. It sounds as if they'll be making a decision about the 2018 cruises on October 5th, so we'll wait until then to see what they propose. I'm leaning toward cancelling and doing something else for our winter vacation.
908 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Originally posted by GradUT
We booked directly with HAL for an Eastern Caribbean cruise (which included St. Maarten) scheduled for January, but we haven't heard anything! Thanks for posting your email. It sounds as if they'll be making a decision about the 2018 cruises on October 5th, so we'll wait until then to see what they propose. I'm leaning toward cancelling and doing something else for our winter vacation.
They will probably substitute another island for St. Maarten but the rest of the cruise will most likely remain the same. Unless St. Maarten is a must, enjoy the cruise!
Connecticut
1,888 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
I'm booked for the Eurodam New Year's Eve "Tropical" Caribbean itinerary. The itinerary was Key West, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, HMC.
If you go to book it now, the map of the route shows HMC, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, Grand Cayman. But if you to "view itinerary" the original is still listed.
To be honest - I prefer the new one... mostly because being at HMC on New Year's Day is better than being at a port with stores, etc. Last year Key West was barely open in the morning and the smell of vomit/booze/piss was everywhere.

The rest of 2017 itinerary maps show no St Maarten... January still does.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Norway Caribbean Aug1985 ~ NCL Dreamward Bermuda Sept1995 ~ Golden Princess Caribbean Nov2001 ~ HAL Maasdam Caribbean Apr2004 ~HAL Zuiderdam Panama Jan2010 ~ HAL Eurodam Caribbean Nov2010~ HAL Westerdam Caribbean B2B Nov2011~ HAL Eurodam Caribbean Mar2014 ~ HAL Statendam Alaska Aug2015 ~ HAL Eurodam Caribbean New Years 2016 ~ HAL Eurodam Caribbean New Years 2017
Chicagoland
2,458 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by 3rdGenCunarder
I would not complain if that turns out to be our substitution, as I've been to St Thomas many times and have not been to St Croix. What was the docking situation? Dock or anchor?
Dock at Frederiksted

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
'Life is short, drink the good wine first'

2017: Prinsendam 14 day Scotland/Ireland, Amsterdam RT; Volendam 16 day Trans-Pacific, Yokohama to Vancouver; Eurodam 7 day West. Caribbean, Ft L. RT.
2016: Rotterdam 18 day Viking Passage, Rotterdam to Boston; Noordam 13 day Australia/New Zealand, Auckland to Sydney; Zuiderdam 11 day partial Panama Canal, Ft L. RT
2015: Amsterdam 16 day Incan Empire, Lima to San Diego; Oosterdam 3 day Coastal, Vancouver to San Francisco; Botticelli 6 day Seine, Paris RT; Veendam 7 day Bermuda, Boston RT; Volendam 17 day North Pacific Crossing, Kobe to Vancouver
2014: Veendam 18 day Circle Hawaii, San Diego RT; Seine Princess 4 day Seine, Paris RT; Veendam 7 day Historic Coasts, Boston RT; Noordam 11 day Med. Explorer, Rome to Barcelona; Celebrity Century 8 day Eastern Caribbean, Ft L. RT
2013: Zuiderdam 7 day Eastern Caribbean, Ft L. RT; Eurodam 7 day Norse Legends, Amsterdam RT ; Veendam 7 day New England/Canada, Boston to Quebec.
2012: Volendam (HAL) 7 day Alaska, Vancouver RT CC Review
1980s: SS Dolphin IV 3 day & 4 day cruises; Vista Fjord (Cunard) 7 day Baltic Cruise; Rhapsody (Paquet Cruise Line) 7 day Alaska cruise (Statendam IV); QE II (Cunard) Transatlantic, NYC to Southampton.
1970s: Skyward (NCL) 7 day Caribbean; Mermoz (Paquet Cruise Line) 10 day Western Caribbean; Orpheus (Epirotiki-Swan's Hellenic Cruises) 2 week Greece/Turkey; Royal Viking Sea: 2 week North Cape.
St. Peters, MO, by way of Louisiana
111 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
The NCL rep that has been trying to talk me into an Eastern Caribbean cruise for March 2018 said that "all of the affected ports will be back up and running by the end of November, without trees."
CCL and NCL are both losing big $$ every day that those islands are down. They will pay contractors any amount of money to get the areas around the ports back to tourist-accepting status.

Shannon
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Holland America ms Rotterdam - Easter 2018
Norwegian Breakaway - Easter 2017
Norwegian Jade - Easter 2016
Carnival Freedom - Hanukkah 2015
Norwegian Gem - Easter 2015
(Bought a house in 2014)
Carnival Conquest - August 2013
Carnival Magic - Easter 2013
Met my hubby in 2012
High school graduation trip: Carnival Tropicale - May 1995
cumming ga
151 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
i talked to my pcc on Friday. I was told that they would have more information on Tuesday or Wednesday about port changes.
I am also on a cruise that has 4 ports that are damaged and would like to know the changes. not that it really matters as others have said I will be on a ship.

the port of st. croix has a dock
New Jersey
9,037 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by MudbugsTherapist
The NCL rep that has been trying to talk me into an Eastern Caribbean cruise for March 2018 said that "all of the affected ports will be back up and running by the end of November, without trees."
CCL and NCL are both losing big $$ every day that those islands are down. They will pay contractors any amount of money to get the areas around the ports back to tourist-accepting status.

Shannon
Depending on the ports in question, I think November is ambitious. Yes, they can clear away the debris, but rebuilding in the Caribbean is dreadfully slow because all building supplies have to be shipped to the islands.

I know that some people will be disappointed by substitutions. But in the long run, we as passengers may benefit from these substitutions if cruise lines start including some of these "substitute" ports in their itineraries. HAL's Caribbean itineraries seem to be the same every year. I'm not saying they should abandon the old standbys like St Thomas or St Maarten (which is one of my favorites)--these islands will need the income tourists bring. But give us something new to try once in a while.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL