New Cunard Ship coming in 2022

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:19 PM.
Pennsylvania
5,744 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by SilverHengroen
the linear increase in consumption of the gas turbines as speed increases
Fuel consumption increases faster with increases in speed than linearly. For example, friction resistance in the water increases approximately as the square of speed. This is regardless of the means of generating propulsive power. There really isn't a faster speed of a ship that makes economic sense regardless of how many more trips the ship can take, assuming that they'd have to continue to sell passage at a competitive price.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
48 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by Underwatr
Fuel consumption increases faster with increases in speed than linearly. For example, friction resistance in the water increases approximately as the square of speed. This is regardless of the means of generating propulsive power. There really isn't a faster speed of a ship that makes economic sense regardless of how many more trips the ship can take, assuming that they'd have to continue to sell passage at a competitive price.
I know the overall power consumption per knot goes up exponentially, I was rather referring to the specific fact the GTs will use twice as much fuel for twice as much power generation and half as much for half - it’s closely linked, unlike diesels which won’t consume much more fuel running at 100% than they will at 80% or 50%. As for the more trips vs longer trips, they haven’t really put the prices up for 7 day vs 6 day, so they’re effectively losing £6m sale of rooms revenue for each trip they have to drop to accommodate the longer cruises. This is obviously made up for by fuel savings or they wouldn’t do it. If they adopted hydrogen fuel cells and all infrastructure was in place for this type of power generating capacity, then absolutely it would make sense to have more 6 day crossings as the savings from fuel consumption would be minimised.
UK
19 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Originally posted by Egremont
Given that Carnival are looking at 3000 passengers, the ship will also need the 'biggest ballroom at sea'.

The Queens Room on Big Band Ball on QE in August was completely crammed every night, the thought of adding a further 1000 passengers to a similar size floor to that of QV an QE would be put anyone off sailing on her for life.
As avid ballroom dancers it is nice to see a comment about the ballroom at last! Certainly the Cunard ballrooms are far and away the best on the current cruise ships that we have experienced, though it is also true that there are times when the Queens Room on any of the current ships is packed with so many on the floor that you can at best shuffle along and not dance that well, especially on the big ball nights. However there are certainly times on most evenings when there is room to dance well. It's more a question of how many of the passengers are dancers rather than the absolute number of passengers on board on any cruise. It would be nice to know what plans Cunard have for the ballroom on the new ship - such as the size of the floor as well as whether there is plenty of space for tables around the floor, and whether there is a seated viewing gallery on the upper level or not, and also whether there is a bar nearby or not. On some other ships on other lines there are smaller dance floors than on the Cunard ships but also sometimes you can get more dancing done if there are fewer dancers making the density of people on the floor easier to handle for floorcraft. In addition there seems to be an increasing demand for sequence dancing on cruises in general - and for those dancers who enjoy the pure ballroom and Latin dances this restricts the time when you can dance unless you join in with the increasing number of the current several thousand sequence dances that have several new ones added each month! So having a dance floor for the sequence dances separate to the floor where only ballroom and Latin is danced would be mightily appreciated by some dancers, though that is probably not likely to happen.

Either way - if anyone hears of any details of the ballroom on the new ship I would love to see them.
Northvale,New Jersey
933 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Given that Carnival are looking at 3000 passengers, the ship will also need the 'biggest ballroom at sea'.

The Queens Room on Big Band Ball on QE in August was completely crammed every night, the thought of adding a further 1000 passengers to a similar size floor to that of QV an QE would be put anyone off sailing on her for life.
My answer to Egremont and Mcloaked is that the new Cunard Queen entering service in 2022 is based on the Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship design which is an enlarged design of the Vista Class Cruise Ship which Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth is based on. Both Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth are 964 feet long and 106 feet wide. The Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship is 975 feet long and 114 feet wide. And the new Cunard Pinnacle Queen will probably be stretched out another 30 or 40 feet in overall length to be either 1005 feet long or 1015 feet long. Regards,Jerry
Northvale,New Jersey
933 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by Cruise Liner Fan
My answer to Egremont and Mcloaked is that the new Cunard Queen entering service in 2022 is based on the Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship design which is an enlarged design of the Vista Class Cruise Ship which Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth is based on. Both Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth are 964 feet long and 106 feet wide. The Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship is 975 feet long and 114 feet wide. And the new Cunard Pinnacle Queen will probably be stretched out another 30 or 40 feet in overall length to be either 1005 feet long or 1015 feet long. Regards,Jerry
I will also add that the Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship design is a Holland America design that their first Ship MS Koningsdam is based on. Regards,Jerry
UK
19 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
I will also add that the Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship design is a Holland America design that their first Ship MS Koningsdam is based on. Regards,Jerry
Thanks - that is encouraging to hear - I did a little research on the facilities on the Koningsdam, and it appears that they do have what is described as the best ballroom at sea - The Queens Lounge - but very disappointing that the forum posts that I saw relating to cruises on that ship, since its launch last year, indicate that there is only an hour or two of ballroom dancing in the Queens Lounge with the majority of time when the room is in use at all being a BB King event that precluded ballroom dancing. However if the overall design of the new Cunard ship follows the pattern of the Koningsdam, then perhaps it will include a Queens Room and continue the rich tradition of the Cunard Queens having ballroom dancing as a major entertainment on its cruises when it comes into service.
Pennsylvania
5,744 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by SilverHengroen
I know the overall power consumption per knot goes up exponentially, I was rather referring to the specific fact the GTs will use twice as much fuel for twice as much power generation and half as much for half - it’s closely link UVed, unlike diesels which won’t consume much more fuel running at 100% than they will at 80% or 50%.
Diesels may be more efficient at full load, but it's a stretch to say their fuel consumption rate doesn't vary significantly with load.

Here's an example table. You can see that if you go from 50% to 100% load on any of the sizes the fuel consumption increases, just not linearly.

http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.co...nsumption.aspx
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises

ms Amsterdam: 1 cruise
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
9 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
What is described as the best ballroom at sea - The Queens Lounge, doesn't mean it isn't the largest.

Having looked at the deck plans and photos for the Koningsdam, it does appear smaller than QE and QV.

If Carnival deprive Cunarders of two essential ingredients of a Cunard Ship, ie Decent Queens room and promenade deck, they are likely to disappoint a large part of their customer base.
Northvale,New Jersey
933 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
What is described as the best ballroom at sea - The Queens Lounge, doesn't mean it isn't the largest.

Having looked at the deck plans and photos for the Koningsdam, it does appear smaller than QE and QV.

If Carnival deprive Cunarders of two essential ingredients of a Cunard Ship, ie Decent Queens room and promenade deck, they are likely to disappoint a large part of their customer base.
Just to reiterate that the MS Koningsdam is a larger Ship than Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth. The deck plans of both Vista Class Cunard Queens are different as compared to the Holland America Vista Class Ships. And the new Pinnacle Class Cunard Ship entering service in 2022, Queen What Ever Her Name Will Be, will be my guess about 30 or 40 feet longer in overall length compared to the MS Koningsdam. Regards,Jerry
Patriot Nation
342 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Could the new ship be names "Princess Diana"? or would that be too confusing due to the Princess Cruise line? What I'm really getting at is would they ever not use Queen?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Up Coming cruise:

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
7,335 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by Ox Fan Cruiser
Could the new ship be names "Princess Diana"? or would that be too confusing due to the Princess Cruise line? What I'm really getting at is would they ever not use Queen?
As you probably know, prior to the original Queen Mary the Cunard tradition was to end names in "ia", quite a few named for Roman provinces. Once the original Queens became the popular famous icons they did, then Cunard used "queen" as the top of the line ships with others still ending in "ia". Now that Carnival has the line, all the ships are "top of the line" so I think "Queen" will be a part of all future Cunarders. Just an opinion on a nice Saturday. Cheers.
Cambridgeshire
2,561 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
This sounds good although I have to say they should make the ship more attractive in appearance. This has always been another point Cunard have traded on. I am still thinking that they still need a new small ship to support the transatlantic sailings and allow passengers a number of days in US or UK and sail back.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas
115 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by john watson
This sounds good although I have to say they should make the ship more attractive in appearance. This has always been another point Cunard have traded on. I am still thinking that they still need a new small ship to support the transatlantic sailings and allow passengers a number of days in US or UK and sail back.

Regards John

Won't ever happen. Not a lot of money in small ships except for ultra luxury lines that charge significantly more per person. Only large ones at the price point Cunard charges can make money.
Cambridgeshire
2,561 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by princeton12321
Won't ever happen. Not a lot of money in small ships except for ultra luxury lines that charge significantly more per person. Only large ones at the price point Cunard charges can make money.
I bet you $1000 it will.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas
51 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by Ox Fan Cruiser
There never actually was a "Princess Diana" she could only be called that if she was a daughter of the sovereign or the daughter of a prince. Her correct title when she was married was "HRH The Princess of Wales" and after divorce her title was "Diana, Princess of Wales."
adelaide
60 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
I think there would be a very good market for a Cunard luxury smaller ship with 3 grades equivalent to
Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queens Grill . And it would be able to go, in Cunard style, to places
now inaccessible to the present Cunard fleet.
Rob
United Kingdom
270 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by southland rob
I think there would be a very good market for a Cunard luxury smaller ship with 3 grades equivalent to
Britannia Club, Princess Grill and Queens Grill . And it would be able to go, in Cunard style, to places
Rob
I second that. She must have a nice 'proper' prom deck too
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sue

Ships I have cruised on:

Oriana- P & O x1
Azura- P & O x1
Oceana- P & O x2
Aurora P & O x2
Ventura P & O x1
Crown Princess x1
Royal Princess x3
Emerald Princess x1
Queen Victoria- Cunard x2
Queen Elizabeth- Cunard x1
Queen Mary 2- Cunard x2
Adventure of the Seas- RCI x1
Anthem of the Seas-RCI x1
Getaway-NCL x1
Eclipse- Celebrity x1
Navigator- RSSC x 1
Harmony of the Seas- RCI

Ships booked to cruise on:

Aurora- P&O
Queen Elizabeth-Cunard
Seven Seas Explorer
Queen Victoria- Cunard
48 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Originally posted by southland rob
Rob
I understand that one of the reasons Cunard ditched the original ‘Queen Victoria’ - now Arcadia with P&O was that the economics for a ship of that size/ capacity didn’t allow for a Princess Grill tier, and it was to be a Britannia & Queen’s Grill only set up. I don‘t know if anyone else here can corroborate this and provide any more info?
Honiton, Devon, England
208 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by john watson

Regards John

More choice of dates for 4 or 5 day NY stays on transatlantic sailings would be a great attraction for us.
115 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by robbie_3
More choice of dates for 4 or 5 day NY stays on transatlantic sailings would be a great attraction for us.

Certainly not trying to rain on anyone's parade but Micky Arison is on record numerous times saying the transatlantic run barely supports one ship let alone two. And he said it only made financial sense building a ship the size of Queen Mary because anything smaller even the size of QE2 would lose money. There will never be a second or smaller.