Better Ship or Extra Day?

MermaidMommy03

Hello All,

I am a mom of 3 and we are planning our first family cruise. I have been on a few cruises in my younger years (13 though 20). I am married with three children (4,8,10) and my husband has never wanted to cruise before. My oldest and I have finally convinced him to give it a try. Now our problem is we want to go in June and since its so close many of the offers I found earlier are no longer available.

My husband doesn't want to do more than 5 days and I don't want to do less than 3.

So my options are a 4 day on the Carnival Liberty or Conquest

5 days on either the Elation or Sensation.

So question would you rather a bigger ship with more activities but one less day

Or 5 days on a smaller ship??

And I would love to hear your experiences on any of these ships. My last Carnival cruise was the Destiny (now Sunshine). It's been a while since I sailed.

Edited by MermaidMommy03

I had a similar debate while booking my June cruise, short cruise with a newer ship or extra day on an older one. 7 days on the Glory or 6 on the vista? Price was really about the same and I’ve read a lot of questionable reviews about the vista

I was just on the Victory for 4 and loved it, having only 2 more days on the vista didn’t seem like enough, plus I loved the victory’s amenities and I know the Glory is slightly larger but with 2.0 upgrades (my sailing on Victory was the one before dry dock)

Ultimately I decided a whole week on a cruise was what I wanted, plus the itinerary for the week I wanted was better on the Glory!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, based on everything you said, I would choose the 4 day with more activities. Are the ports the same? I can’t remember if both Liberty and Conquest have the Waterworks? I’d choose one that did, for my kids sake.

I live in Florida so we will sail from one of the Florida ports (depending on the ship)

One of the 5 days in from Jacksonville

Hello All,

I am a mom of 3 and we are planning our first family cruise. I have been on a few cruises in my younger years (13 though 20). I am married with three children (4,8,10) and my husband has never wanted to cruise before. My oldest and I have finally convinced him to give it a try. Now our problem is we want to go in June and since its so close many of the offers I found earlier are no longer available.

My husband doesn't want to do more than 5 days and I don't want to do less than 3.

So question would you rather a bigger ship with more activities but one less day

And I would love to hear your experiences on any of these ships. My last Carnival cruise was the Destiny (now Sunshine). It's been a while since I sailed.

Hello.

My answer depends upon the ports and what your plans are for them.

Regarding activities, how much time will you spend on the ship vs. the ports?

I live the fascination class ships, but taking kids on and a husband not to keen to begin with I’d do the new ships with more activities and the shorter duration will make DH happier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would do the 5 day. 5 days is more of a "vacation ", as opposed to a 4 day "long weekend ". Then you can all enjoy and get settled in on vacation mode instead of getting on the ship and then only having 4 days.

Hello.

My answer depends upon the ports and what your plans are for them.

Regarding activities, how much time will you spend on the ship vs. the ports?

Sensation 5 Day

Miami

Nassau

Half Moon Cay

Grand Turk

Miami

Elation 5 Day

Jacksonville

Halfmoon Cay

Nassau

Liberty 4 Day

Port Canaveral

Nassau

Freeport

I vote for the Sensation 5 day too... ports are better and the Sensation may be a little smaller and older but still a great ship in my opinion. Also, if you have "talked" your husband into this you may find this a better fit for him. The Sensation won't seem to be as crowded. Larger ships are great, but you most certainly have to deal with more people too which can get to be a bit much.

Half Moon Cay is Awesome! Favorite port of many. I would highly recommend you book a private Cabana here for you and the family if it is in the budget... but do it as soon after booking as you can as they sell out fast.

Beach is great and you can do all kinds of stuff here... and having the private Cabana is awesome for the day!

Grand Turk is a great port too with a pretty nice beach area, and also the whole pool complex that you can do for free.

My vote is for the Sensation. I am in a similar position. My late SO and I cruised 20 times in the four years we were together, until he died unexpectedly. I am now seeing a man who never cruised before, and I am trying to select cruises that he will like. I am fine with any cruise (I enjoy everything about cruising), so I am looking for what appeals to him to get him addicted like me :D How could your husband not fall in love with HMC? If the Sensation is his first ship, it will be the most impressive one he has ever sailed on - go for the great ports.

Hello All,

Better ship are the Liberty and Conquest by far.

Interestingly, Liberty has been our favorite Carnival ship and the Sensation our least favorite. But I do agree that the itinerary for the Sensation is better. Decisions, decisions...

I would do the 5 day. 5 days is more of a "vacation ", as opposed to a 4 day "long weekend ". Then you can all enjoy and get settled in on vacation mode instead of getting on the ship and then only having 4 days.

I'd choose the 5 day on Elation - it went to an extensive dry dock last year. They have a pool, hot tubs, the water park and active kids clubs. The ships has lots of choices for lunch. The kids won't know bigger ships might have more activities (but not many) so they'll enjoy these.