Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:52 AM.
21,701 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by KansasEMT
We hung out with the "over 60" crowd on our first cruise and had a blast! We were 40 at the time and loved hearing their stories over drinks. Even convinced some of them to zip line upside down! We were jealous cause they've been able to cruise so much!
Probably they had much more drink than you did!
Chicagoland
158 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Back when my wife and I were in our 20's we discovered that we had more in common with "older folks" than we had with people our own age. Most of our friends were always trying to impress each other, who had the bigger house, car, best kids, etc. It got very boring for us because we have never been like that.
On vacations we always seemed to gravitate to couples older than us, more like our parents' age at the time. We had a lot of fun over the years with older vacationers. We just felt more comfortable around them.
We're in our 60's now and while we've never had any young people outright disrespect us, we have noticed that they tend to have blinders on and can't see anyone over 30. It's like we're invisible. It's sad, really, because we learned so much from older folks in our younger years, and young adults today seem like they just don't want to be bothered.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Winter: Sun City Grand Surprise , AZ & Summer: Prescott, AZ
3,048 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
On many recent cruises we have found that their are many gay couples who are much more friendly than their straight counterparts. We are 71 & 68 and have many interesting conversations with mainly gay couples. I think it's because we are not judgemental and my wife is very outgoing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
21,701 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by goldenrod
On many recent cruises we have found that their are many gay couples who are much more friendly than their straight counterparts. We are 71 & 68 and have many interesting conversations with mainly gay couples. I think it's because we are not judgemental and my wife is very outgoing.
Absolutely agree!. My wife and I even find them worthy of long conversations.
Illinois
1,620 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
We only have MTD after many cruises with table mates that made us dread dinner. We often strike up conversations with those sitting next to us but not always. As for those who treat "older" adults with disdain, have at it. It's not any different than going to work these days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Allure of the Seas 2/25/2018 Western Caribbean
Harmony of the Seas 2/4/2017 Eastern Caribbean
Anthem 9/2016 Canada/New England (35 yr)
Equinox 2/2016 Ultimate Carribean
Independence of the Seas 2/28/2015
Rhapsody of the Seas 8/22/2014 Alaska
Navigator of the Seas 2/23/2014 Western Carribean
Oasis of the Seas 8/31/13 Western Carribean
Oasis of the Seas 2/23/13 Eastern Carribean
Jewel of the Seas 10/21/12 New England/Canada
Allure of the Seas 2/26/2012 Western Carribean
Explorer of the Seas 9/10/2011 Bermuda (30 yr)
Freedom of the Seas 2/27/2011 Eastern Carribean
Majesty of the Seas 10/2010 Bahamas
Adventure of the Seas 2/2010 Southern Carribean
Liberty of the Seas 1/3/09 Eastern Carribean
Voyager of the Seas 2/24/08 Western Carribean
Freedom of the Seas 3/07 Western Carribean
Vision of the Seas 3/05 Mexican Riviera
Adventure of the Seas 8/04 Southern Carribean
Imagination 8/01 Western Carribean
Sovereign of the Seas 8/1994 Eastern Carribean
Fantasy 9/1991 Bahamas (10 yr)
Yorkshire, UK
603 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
We were lucky enough to start cruising in our 30's when we were often the youngest on the ship, especially with Fred Olsen. We have since made great friends of all ages. Now we are retired we recently went on a 35 night cruise from Southampton to the Caribbean and back and found we were again 2 of the youngest people on the cruise. My motto has always to grow old before I grow up, so far so good.
Austin, Texas USA
1,288 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
We're with you guys all the way. Our 'signature' says it all.

"The older we get, the better we were."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"The older we get, the better we were."

1) 1980 Cunard QE2 - Southhampton-TA-NYC
2) 1993 Cunard Crown Jewel - Bermuda & Caribbean
3) 1996 Carnival Sensation - Caribbean
4) 2001 Nabila Queen Nabila - Nile River
5) 2004 RCI Grandeur of the Seas - New Orleans-REPO-Baltimore
6) 2006 Celebrity Galaxy - Caribbean & Panama Canal
7) 2007 Carnival Ecstasy - Caribbean
8) 2007 NCL Pride of Aloha - Hawaiian Isles
9) 2008 NCL Norwegian Star - Alaska Inside Passage
10) 2008 Victoria Empress - Yangtse River
11) 2009 RCI Mariner of the Seas - South America
12) 2010 RCI Voyager of the Seas - TA
13 & 14) 2011 RCI Mariner of the Seas - Holy Land/Mediterranean B2B TA
15) 2012 Vodohod MS Lenin - Russia River Cruise
16) 2012 Carnival Elation - Caribbean
17) 2013 Princess Crown Princess - Caribbean
18 & 19) 2013 RCI Radiance of the Seas - Australia Top End B2B-Australia Bottom End/New Zealand
20) 2013 RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Baltic
21) 2013 RCI Brilliance of the Seas - TA
22) 2014 RCI Navigator of the Seas - Caribbean
23) 2015 Celebrity Infinity - Antarctica
24, 25 & 26) 2015 RCI Rhapsody of the Seas - Asia & India B2B Suez Canal B2B Greek Isles
27) 2015 RCI Navigator of the Seas - Caribbean
28) 2016 RCI Explorer of the Seas - Transpacific
29 & 30) 2016 Celebrity Millennium - Bering Sea & Japan B2B Japan, Korea & China
31) 2016 MSC Splendida - Mediterranean

32) 2017 RCI Radiance of the Seas - Southbound Alaska & Hubbard Glacier
33) 2017 Rickmers Jakarta- Houston to Antwerp Freighter Cruise
34) 2017 RCI Independence of the Seas - Caribbean TA

35) 2018 HAL MS Amsterdam - 113-Day Grand World Voyage
36) 2018 MSC Poesia - Italy, Greece, Albania & Croatia

Next Booked:

2018 RCI Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean

2019 RCI Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean
2020 HAL Volendam - 77-Day Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage

Bucket List:

Aranui 5 - 14-Day French Polynesia & Marquesas Islands
Crystal Serenity - Northwest passage

Calgary, Alberta
94 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
I am not sure that it is the age of the person that matters - there are interesting people of all ages.

Like others I don't like discussions of politics or religion - not my thing - and I am looking for stress release not reminders of what was left back home.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Randy and Gus in Calgary
13,396 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
We are now doing fewer cruises and more independent land trips. We find that we want to stay longer in certain areas. One day port stop does not do it for us. We keep our travel schedule flexible and will grab a last minute cruise if the price is right. Our last one was an AI, booked three or four days in advance of departure. Why stay home?
Portland OR
1,372 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
IMO, nobody can "make" you feel a particular way........somebody looks at me oddly, it's their problem, not mine. I only have issues with people who are openly verbally cruel or being obnoxious. I am fat and old and have only cruised solo, people might look at me weird but more often than not I make new friends every cruise. I respect and admire those older than me or who are disabled and still have the desire and ability to travel!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising!
Cala

09/29/19 - Carnival Horizon W Caribbean
01/19/19 - Carnival Breeze E Caribbean PBE IV Cruise
09/29/18 - Carnival Sunshine E Caribbean

01/21/18 - Carnival Dream W Caribbean PBE III Cruise
0/29/17 - Carnival Breeze W Caribbean
02/25/17 - Carnival Vista E Caribbean
1/21/17 - Carnival Magic W Caribbean PBE II Cruise - Platinum!
10/01/16 - Carnival Miracle Mexican Riviera
01/24/16 - Carnival Breeze W. Caribbean PBE I Cruise
9/26/15 - Carnival Glory W. Caribbean
02/28/15 - Carnival Breeze E. Caribbean
9/28/14 - Carnival Magic W. Caribbean
9/28/13 - Carnival Breeze S. Caribbean
09/30/12 - Carnival Victory S. Caribbean
04/16/12 - Celebrity Millenium W. Caribbean
10/01/11 - Carnival Liberty E. Caribbean
09/29/07 - Carnival Liberty S. Caribbean
10/02/05 - Norwegian Crown Bermuda
05/29/04 - Zuiderdam W. Caribbean
10/02/03 - Zuiderdam E. Caribbean
10/02/00 - Carnival Holiday Baja Mexico
middle Ga
225 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
At least we know how to respect each other. Alot of younger people have no respect and think you must agree with them and their views.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
URL=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/url]

United States
3,605 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
If anyone gave me that look, I would give them the look back, and ask to be seated at a table without children.
Sacramento Ca
2,278 Posts
Joined May 2009
I enjoy talking with older people. We are 56 and I love hearing stories and what other people have experienced. I would love to cruise with anyone on here.
Winter: Sun City Grand Surprise , AZ & Summer: Prescott, AZ
3,048 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
We are 72 & 69 I retired at 60, but we have a good income do to our 12 rental properties and SS so we usually book Suites and fly business or first class our next cruise is on Viking Sea no children under 16 allowed on Viking ocean ships! Which is fine with us! It’s not that we don’t like kids we have kids and wonderful grandchildren but they can get pretty rowdy on a cruise. To those of you about to retire welcome to the club and see you onboard!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Pacific Northwest
104 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by goldenrod
Back in the days when they only had fixed dining we were at our table for 8 the first night when one of the other men says please bow your heads for grace! We were moved the next night! As we're two other couples. Unreal.
Why is that "unreal" when <80% of Americans consider themselves Christian? If it had been a Shinto, Hindu, Muslim or Flying Spaghetti Monster adherent, I simply would've remained silent for a moment. It's about respect. Would that one minute of your life have affected your cruise all that much? THAT is what's unreal to me. I'm sure he was as glad you moved as you were to move.
350 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by WAMarathoner
Why is that "unreal" when <80% of Americans consider themselves Christian? If it had been a Shinto, Hindu, Muslim or Flying Spaghetti Monster adherent, I simply would've remained silent for a moment. It's about respect. Would that one minute of your life have affected your cruise all that much? THAT is what's unreal to me. I'm sure he was as glad you moved as you were to move.
You have a good point. It seems that tolerance is something that we all could try a little harder to achieve. I have been on cruises and been shown to a table with fundamentalist atheists who tried to tell me that all Christian art was bad art. I smiled and asked them to Tell me about the art they did like. We then had a decent discussion about modern American painting.
Quebec
1,358 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
We had a dinner table for 4 a few years ago with a couple who were half our age and it was their first cruise (we had been on about 20 at that time). They were renting a car in port in France and driving to Monte Carlo. They had never done that trip before by car but we had so we went along with them and split the cost.

They stayed up late the night before at the disco on the ship and the woman slept the whole way in the car and missed all the sights along the French Rivera. I was so disappointed for her that she missed the gorgeous scenery. Neither she nor her husband seemed to mind. I bet she was sorry later on when she told others that she slept through it all!

They were a lovely couple and we enjoyed their company every night for dinner but we sure had different interests. They used to go to the buffet before dinner and then have a complete dinner with us in the dining room.