Bliss Concerns and Questions

Denise33

My husband and I are about to leave on our first cruise, on the Bliss!!! in ablout a week. I've been watching the boards and the reviews and I'm starting to get concerned about all the complaints regarding people sleeping in the observation lounge and getting there early and staying all day. (Some people, so I've read, are leaving their things to "save" their seats. I've also read that people are now going tot he MDR's and sitting there all day,or several hours, for the views because the observation lounge is full.

I don't want to infringe on anyone else's vacation, but is there any way to get around some of this? Can we ask the crew to move someone's belongings if they have been gone a significant amount of time? We don't have a balcony so I was hoping to spend at least some time being about to sit and enjoy the observation lounge.

We will be on the 3rd Alaskan cruise so I realize there will be kinks to work out. I'm just trying to be proactive.

My next question is about the fitness room. I'm a runner and I was wondering how busy the fitness room is. I don't think I'll be taking any classes, probably just using the treadmill. Or will I be able to run some place else?

Any help will be appreciated.

The observation lounge is huge. Takes up about 1/3 the deck. The buffet directly above has equal views. We were on deck 15 a few doors away from the observation lounge and could get seats 100% of the time we went in.

Stop your worrying.

Enjoy your cruise.

If I ran the world those “pressed against the forward facing window” seats would have a sign next to them that said “These premium seats cannot Be reserved and no items may be left on them for any leangth of time . Any items on the seat when not physically occupied can be removed by other guests and placed in the bin next to the seat”

But of course I don’t run the world so i have to live with people who are rude and not willing not to share the space.

For me, I never want a "glass" of of anything in Alaska. ONLY full open outside views. Take the proper attire and get out on an open deck. :)

Or you are going to have to camp out as well. With multi thousands on board, never is there going to be enough seating in these prime inside locations.

For me, I never want a "glass" of of anything in Alaska. ONLY full open outside views. Take the proper attire and get out on an open deck. :)

Or you are going to have to camp out as well. With multi thousands on board, never is there going to be enough seating in these prime inside locations.

RIGHT! Best post on CC today! I was just going to say the same thing! Who wants to sit behind glass all day .... unless it's raining. When we did Alaska, we sat on deck with a sweater, light jacket, or hoodie and a warm coffee and took in the fresh air and scenery. I'm from Michigan, so maybe that's why cool weather doesn't bother us. Who would want to sit behind a window all day on a cruise or in the buffet ..... sad ........

RIGHT! Best post on CC today! I was just going to say the same thing! Who wants to sit behind glass all day .... unless it's raining. When we did Alaska, we sat on deck with a sweater, light jacket, or hoodie and a warm coffee and took in the fresh air and scenery. I'm from Michigan, so maybe that's why cool weather doesn't bother us. Who would want to sit behind a window all day on a cruise or in the buffet ..... sad ........

I don't see why it's unreasonable to want to enjoy the observation lounge. I plan to be outside as much as possible but I also want to be able to sit in the lounge with a drink and relax if I so choose.

Since this is my first cruise, it's hard for me to know what to expect and what is appropriate in cases. I certainly don't need to have my nose up against the glass, and I want others to enjoy their vacation as much as I do.

I guess I'm getting a little nervous, not knowing what to expect. Maybe I need to just relax and take some deep breathes.

Believe me, I am taking proper attire and plan to be outside as much as I can stand. But I would also like to enjoy the lounge as well if I choose to. Maybe I'll just get up super duper early and get down there for a few minutes.

There certainly isn't anything wrong with the lounge. My comments more or less pertain to people sitting in it all day, saving their spot or sitting in the buffet and staring out the window. I'm just saying that it's Alaska and some people, not the OP, are too soft and want to hide from real Alaska behind glass. Man up people, get outside. Might as well stay home and watch Alaska shows on tv.

There certainly isn't anything wrong with the lounge. My comments more or less pertain to people sitting in it all day, saving their spot or sitting in the buffet and staring out the window. I'm just saying that it's Alaska and some people, not the OP, are too soft and want to hide from real Alaska behind glass. Man up people, get outside. Might as well stay home and watch Alaska shows on tv.

With the way things are going, I am sure that virtual reality cruises for the younger generation are not that far off! :')

I can never run well on a treadmill at sea - the roll of the ship causes me to tense too much on the rise and fall. The deck seems to be better, but the walkers break your stride. Use the week to hydrate, stretch, and focus on anaerobic excercised and some yoga. If you need to breathe, try a stationary bike.

If you want "front row/nose pressed against the forward-facing window" seats, you probably won't get them unless you resort to the silly extremes that others use. If you just want a nice view, you'll probably be fine.

There are only around 22 "front row/nose pressed against the forward-facing window" for the 4700 passengers.

For me, I never want a "glass" of of anything in Alaska. ONLY full open outside views. Take the proper attire and get out on an open deck. :)Or you are going to have to camp out as well. With multi thousands on board, never is there going to be enough seating in these prime inside locations.

The world of Alaskan cruising is changing. Sitting in the warmth of luxury lounges with 3 buffets full of soups, cheeses, cured meats, salads, and a tea service is the future.

When you look at the ship's configuration, there are 4 decks of enclosed forward facing views (Observation Lounge, Garden Cafe, Haven x 2). There are no non-Haven forward facing deck spaces.

I was on the June 9th cruise. Was always able to get a seat in the Observation Lounge. Sometimes right at the front, other times not. Didn’t observe the saving of seats but did observe some sacked out sleeping. Signs appeared asking not to move furniture. This was after I did see a big group reconfigure an area into a large circle. You can tell who reads the Dailies and who doesn’t by those who had bare feet or shoes on the furniture. I’d think a quite word to people on days 1 and 2 would probably solve that. The area is a lively area where groups of people meet up to spend time together. We spent a lot of time on the Waterfront on deck 8. In the beginning of the week it was very empty. People began finding it a little later but still always could find a comfy seat. The couches are set back, so even though it’s outside, you’re sheltered quite a bit from the sea breeze.

The world of Alaskan cruising is changing. Sitting in the warmth of luxury lounges with 3 buffets full of soups, cheeses, cured meats, salads, and a tea service is the future.
Oh, I don't doubt that for sure .... stuffing their faces non-stop instead of getting outside. Do these people need a plastic bubble to sit in when they get to ports to avoid the elements. Man, I remember when my wife and I went to Alaska on Royal. We were on deck the whole time taking taking pics enjoying the temps, air, smells, etc ..... We took a helicopter tour out to a glacier, a fishing tour, panned for gold ..... Now it seems people sit behind a window eating cheese while traveling to beautiful Alaska ....... Have at it, not for us .....

This is so good to hear. I think I better stop reading all those negative reviews. ��

Continue to read all the reviews, but (as with any site, Trip Advisor to Amazon) take them with a grain of salt. A review is just one person's opinion of THEIR trip. There are so many variables on a good day, and people bring their own expectations or preconceived notions with them to their review. I love to read reviews, but mainly for things I want to try or things I want to do that I may not have thought of otherwise. Keep an open mind and above all, enjoy YOUR cruise (and come back to write a review that we can all also enjoy!!)

:cool:

i get that some older/mobility impaired folks may like to sit in a lounge all day or if they cant handle the cold and wet. so, its nice to have spaces for them and they were def utilized on the Sun when we sailed. but i agree, the best place is to be up and about on the decks and outside. we packed in layers and invested in lightweight/easily packable rain jackets with hoods that were worth every penny, especially the first time we went when it poured rain every.single.day. (I got the Northface "Venture" Jacket for anyone interested).

My wife and I sail on the June 16th sailing and the observation deck was not a problem, people come and go. Yes there are the sleeper but most do not leave stuff to hold spots. Close to the window is more of a challenge but you can see out even with seats more interior. Also if a whale becomes viewable the are plenty of places to stand for the few minutes they are visible. The waterfront also has seating and circles a large portion of the ship, I would walk it for exercise, this is also where the outside dining is and some bars. There is an outside are for the Buffet with tables that not crowded except meal times. This is a big ship with lots of room, never felt crowded with the exception of the elevators which is no more crowded then if you worked in a large office building. Have a great trip.