Getting sea sick already thinking about our cruise, which is not 'till next year!

Humuhumu80

Hello everyone!! I am a new member here. My family and I travel often, but we are new cruisers. We took a 7 day Hawaiian islands cruise in 2015 (Norwegian Pride of America) and I got pretty sea sick every single day, much more than anyone else in my family (worst case, they only had a mild headache). We are taking an 11 day cruise next year and every time I sit down at the computer just to start doing some basic research on our port cities, I get incredibly dizzy and nauseous just thinking of the ship! We will be on the Norwegian Jewel. In fact, I am nauseous now because I am thinking of the cruise as we speak. Ridiculous!

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I know about the wrist pressure band, dramamine, and the consumption of anything ginger. However, are there any "secrets" that are not over the counter or that I may not know about? My family is extremely excited about this trip, and I certainly don't want to be a killjoy by not being my usual happy-go-lucky self because I am feeling ill. I will see my doctor as well, but I was just curious to whether you seasoned cruisers had some advice.

Thanks!

On your last (first) cruise:

Did you take anything or try anything to relieve the sickness?

Where on the ship was your stateroom?

Where will you be cruising to and from what port?

Do you have any medical conditions that would prohibit you from taking an over the counter medication?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We have 23+ cruises, some in some nasty weather and have many friends who havw sailed as well..

bosco

On your last (first) cruise:

Do you have any medical conditions that would prohibit you from taking an over the counter medication?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We have 23+ cruises, some in some nasty weather and have many friends who havw sailed as well..

bosco

Thanks for your help, Bosco! My answers are in red below.

I took dramamine an hour before the ship sailed at every port, but I still felt very ill. I don't think it helped much. If it did help, I would hate to think what I would have felt like without it!

We were on the 10th floor, about halfway between the center and the front of the ship.

We will be embarking in Hongkong and disembarking in Tokyo. Stops in between are Xiamen, China; Beijing, China; Seoul, South Korea; and Osaka, Japan.

That is an excellent question, thank you for thinking of that. I take synthoid on a daily basis for a thyroid condition. I will check with my doctor to make sure that any other meds will not interfere with my daily meds.

Try staying in a lower level cabin and if possible towards the center (midships) area of the ship.

There are (2) DRAMAMINES;

One is the original (drowsy) formula which contains dimenhydrinate,

the other is the (non-drowsy) formula which contains meclizine.

The packages show no interactions with synthroid ,

However, this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

If he or she says it's alright I would try the (non-drowsy) meclizine first at home.

The brand name is BONINE, and every drug chain has its own generic with the EXACT same ingredient; MECLIZINE. Most ships actually give this out at customer service for people who are sea sick.

It is a ONCE a day tablet, has for us NO side effects and has managed to do its job now for over 17 years.

Best of luck and have a great cruise.

bosco

Bosco and Barb,

Thank you for the suggestions. Bosco, I will definitely check with my doc; I appreciate the details! I am incredibly worried... it cannot be normal that I am getting so nauseous just from interacting on this board! My anticipation is definitely getting the best of me. Thanks again!

LOL, Humuhumu80. You sound just like me. I'm so susceptible to sea sickness I swear I get nauseous in the bathtub! Anyway, I use the scopolamine patch. You put one on behind your ear before you board the boat and you change every so often (I can't remember the timing). It works like a charm for me. Once I discovered this, I haven't had one bout of sea sickness, even when the ship is rocking and rolling. You have to get them by prescription from the doctor.

Bonine works for most people, but if you are in high seas or especially susceptible to motion sickness you may need something stronger such as Trans Derm Scops by prescription from your doctor. The Scops are what the astronauts use btw. They DEFINITELY work, but have some side effects. They make your mouth dry and you may find your vision a bit blurry. For me, I have a rather pleasant, mildly intoxicated feeling as though I have had maybe 2 glasses of wine over 3 hours - which really cuts down on my bar bill - so in a way it's a win-win. I've used Scops in high seas going through the Bay of Biscay and although it was a rather unpleasant day, stuck inside as we all were since the open decks were too dangerous in the high seas, at least I was not nauseous, just kind of miserable. I've also used Scops for Alaska and it worked like a charm in high seas headed up there when almost everyone else on the ship was sick, sick, sick, including the crew.

Some other things that can help: When you feel nauseous, take a cold canned drink or a bag of ice and place it on the front of your neck and lie down. For most people, this will relieve the feeling of wanting vomit and can buy you time to get to the sick bay to see the ship's doctor. The ship's doctor can give you a shot such as Phenergan which will stop nausea and vomiting. If you are on other medicine, the ships doctor will give you the shot but tell you to discontinue other anti-seasickness medicine until a certain amount of time has passed.

If you get sick just thinking about it, there could be an anxiety component to it as well (been there). If you're going to the doctor anyway, see if you could get a temp prescription for something like xanax.

If you can take a low dose of an anti anxiety med and then find you can consider cruise planning without feeling ill, you know at least part of it is psychological. (Again, been there)

I agree with the PPs who have stated that you may have a large psychosomatic component at play here. Becoming nauseated at the mere thought of cruising is not normal. I would suggest that you consult your family physician for treatment of your anxiety issue. Once that is under control, management if actual motion sickness should be much easier.

Again, discuss this with your doctor, who can review the pros and cons of OTC meds like Bonine versus prescribed meds like the patch. I am very susceptible to motion sickness but managed exceedingly well with Bonine taken at bedtime every night starting the evening before we embarked. Others prefer the patch, but I developed such severe side effects that I had to stop it after only 2 days. Everyone is different. What works for one person may not work for another.

I agree with the PP who recommended that you look for a cabin on a lower deck, midship. This will minimize the amount of movement you feel (at least while you're in hour cabin).

Hi there

Your doctor will be your best source for information that takes medical history into account.

I can understand your dread. Seeing how sick people can get, I would not want to subject myself to anything like that for an 11 day period. I would cancel unless I was confident that there was something that relieved my symptoms.

You say that you were sick every single day in Hawaii. That isn't typical. Some people will only get sick with very heavy seas. Did you have anything like that? I can't imagine that would have been the case. Some might get a little queasy with moderate motion. If your last cruise was on relatively calm seas and you took the Dramamine every day without positive effect, then your doctor will have to take that into account. There are very good medications available for severe nausea.

Whatever is prescribed, I would still suggest that you "test" it out. For your own peace of mind. You have time. Sometime between getting whatever is prescribed and your cruise date, try out the medication. Most people who will get sick are more likely to get sick easier on a smaller boat than a large cruise ship. I don't know where you live, but maybe a harbor tour or if you have a friend that has a small boat. If you get on a smaller boat bouncing up and down for an hour or so, without feeling ill, then you might be able to handle the cruise ship. If not you can go back to your doctor to try something else.

hope this helps...good luck

Edited by Nic6318

Hi there

Just saw where you are from. :)

For sure, take whatever your doctor prescribed and get out on the ocean for a while. If you see that what you took is working, you will feel much better.

have a great cruise (I hope)

I find the acupressure wrist bands work really well. I also carry Bonine with me to use if the seas really start rocking.

Other practical tips. Look for a cabin lower down, in the middle of the ship. And spring for a balcony, or at least an ocean view. When my inner ear starts going funny, it really helps to see the horizon and get some fresh air.

OP, you made a mistake in taking the dramamine shortly before leaving each port. You needed the meds to be in your system before you began the trip. You should have taken it the whole time with your motion sensitivity.

1. Dramaine(0riginal) is a 4 hour med which can make you very sleepy.

2. Bonine aka Non Drowsy Dramamine aka Meclezine HCL lasts much longer in your system without making you as sleepy as Dramamine.

3. Scopolomine patch has side effects. Not all can tolerate it.

Whatever you decide to use, try it before the cruise.

I take Bonine the night before I cruise and every night of the cruise. If it gets really rough, I might take a second after 12 hours. Usually, one a day works for me

We understand that "PC" demands that we feel empathy for the OP and tell them all the usual things that make them feel better. However, we are not PC....and tell it like it is! We were once on a HAL cruise from Rotterdam to NYC....where we met a young (20 ish) German lady who became seasick while we were still tied up in the river (and the ship was totally steady). She had simply psyched herself out (which made her DH very unhappy) and had convinced herself that she was going to be sick (and she was successful).

So, after more than 1200 days on cruise ships, we no longer try to deal with this type of hysteria. If the OP thinks they are going to be sick...then fine! Be sick...be miserable....stay in your cabin....take drugs... etc. When you post that are already feeling sick (long before your cruise) we say, "there is no hope for you" unless you change your attitude. As a good friend of mine would say, "get over it!" Sure, many folks do not feel well in rough seas (even we have had a few times when we had to take a Bonine)....but that is life upon the sea. If you are convinced you cannot hack it.....you will likely live out your fantasy and be sick. And it might happen before you even get aboard the sick.

Otherwise....what to do. We suggest taking Meclizine Hcl (brand names include Bonine and Dramamine No Drowsy formula (which is also Meclizine). Take one tablet, the night before you board your ship and take one tablet before bedtime..on subsequent nights. Of course you might want to check with your own physician to see if he/she agrees. Once on the ship, you might want to also eat some ginger (candy), use Seabands, and whatever else you think can help :).

All the other recommendations (like a low central cabin) are good advice...but are worthless if you are going to simply psych yourself out! Millions have cruised and loved every minute. Take a deep breath...tell yourself that you really want to try a cruise...and go have a great time!

Hank

I had motion sickness as a child, and so I was very worried about my first cruise. I had gradually grown out of it and didn't experience any problem whatsoever. Fast forward to a couple of years ago and more than a dozen cruises and two where we experienced very rough seas w/o any problem and I suddenly got very seasick the first day, immediately after the muster drill. We hadn't even left the port for crying out loud! We had been standing on the deck and it was crowded and hot so I chalked it up to that and after a few hours and a Bonine, I felt fine and didn't experience any problems during the cruise.On the next cruise, it happened again. After a few hours and some Bonine, I was fine. Following these two episodes, I made sure to start Bonine two days prior to the cruise. I took one at night, for two nights prior to boarding and the first night after boarding, no problems. I would suggest you check with your doctor about an anti-anxiety med because you're getting sick just from talking/posting about a cruise. I have a friend that is the same way about flying. Her doctor prescribes something for her before she has to fly. At the same time, speak with him about Bonine or the non-drowsy Dramamine. I haven't let it interfere with cruising and I'm sure you will solve your anxiety and your problem.

Cognitive therapy. Not being facetious. You get " dizzy and nauseous just thinking of the ship." Cognitive therapy.

From WebMD

"Cognitive therapists believe that the way we think shapes our emotions. If we expect the worst to happen and routinely focus on the negative, this can become a self-fulfilling prophecy."

Is there anything you eat at home if you have an upset stomach, that seems to settle it? Like saltines or shortbread cookies? Bring along a package so if you start to feel ill, you can at least try to keep some food in your stomach. Getting too hungry can make the nausea even worse. I wouldn't try to get by with the lido deck cookies, because despite looking good they taste terrible, in my opinion.

Also, green apples. They work wonders. Pick up a few from the buffet to keep in your stateroom at the beginning of the cruise. It's a tip that a crew member told me about, the crew use them to ward off sea sickness in rough water. And if you wait until the water is rough, they disappear. For me, it works as well as bonine or possibly better. Not as good as a scopalamine patch, but the side effects can be so miserable I only resort to one if I'm desperate.

I know there are the electronic wrist bands for nausea too. Can't vouch for them, as I haven't worn one. But they get good ratings on amazon, if I cruised more often I would definitely invest.

OH MY GOODNESS! Guys, thank you so much for all of the replies! I guess I'm not signed up for automatic email notifications of new posts because I had no idea I had this more responses. I came back today to check on the two different types of dramamine that someone mentioned right after my initial post. You guys are great, thank you so much for the advice.

Leslie, I will ask my doc about the patch, thanks!!

Suitetraveler, wow, pretty interesting to read about astronaut medication. Especially if it cuts down on the bar tab like you mentioned!!

Hancock, thank you very much for your specific advice, especially "Bonine aka Non Drowsy Dramamine aka Meclezine HCL lasts much longer in your system without making you as sleepy as Dramamine." I like the thought that I need to start taking it regularly and start the day before the cruse. This gives me hope!!

Hank, your post made me laugh (in a good way!). I'm typically not a "sissy"... I am a former Marine parachutist, so I definitely know a thing or two about being mentally prepared for something! : ) Seriously though, I am not exaggerating. I was running errands the other day and drove by the ports. I got dizzy just looking at the other ship that was in port. Ridiculous. Thank you, I don't believe in being PC either, so your post was nice to read. Mahalo!

MCAT and momsays, yup, got the room booked accordingly for this trip. Thank you!!

Nic6813, cancelling the 11 day cruise is not an option, although I very much appreciate the thought. My daughter will be turning 16 and we promised to gift her whatever trip to Japan that she wanted for her 16th day. She chose this cruise and is so excited (she has been obsessed with seeing the cherry blossoms in Japan since she was in elementary). I will "suck it up" for her. She has no idea that I feel this way about cruising. Yes, I live not far from the ports in Honolulu. I will "practice" taking meds and cruising a do a couple dinner cruises along the Waikiki coast before we go.

Griffey, yes, people keep mentioning Bonine so I'm very excited to try it. I will follow what you did and start taking it two days before the cruise. Mahalo!

Shorex, ha ha.. no, definitely didn't think you were being facetious. It is pretty amazing the way the brain works, so I believe what you say. Interestingly, I used to parachute for the military and I fly regularly *enough*.. only the cruising makes me feel nauseated.

Canwegoyet, wow, I had no idea about the apples. Great tip, thank you!!!! I'm going to check Amazon for those bands.

Good luck, I know it really is miserable being sea sick. And of course you worry, you've had trouble in the past. I get sick after surgery or any type of anesthesia. Maybe part of it is expecting it to happen, but then it would be kind of crazy not to learn from past experience...

If you check for the motion sickness / electronic bands - I know some have non -replaceable batteries, and others do have batteries that can be replaced - so be careful you don't get a really expensive disposable!

OP, I feel for you. We are leaving for our first 7 day cruise in a week. I am prone to sea sickness, sea legs, etc. On our last cruise, which was 5 days I took meclizine everyday and was okay.

For this cruise I am already equipped with my non drowsy Dramamine (same as meclizine?) but will do like I did last time and start taking it the night before the cruise sets sail and maybe even for the flight. Though we are flying in 2 days before our cruise sets sail.

One thing I am glad about our 7 day cruise is that we are stopping in 6 ports. I say 6 because we don't even start sailing until 10 pm the first day.

But OP hope you are okay on your cruise. :)

Hello everyone, I wanted to provide an update. Since my post last week, I've been out twice on the water whale-watching. The first time, I took original Dramamine the day before and an hour before I went out. I felt great and didn't feel queasy or drowsy at all. Couple of days later, we went back out again and I took Bonine- took it the day before and the morning of. Wow, that made me so sleepy! Funny since it's supposed to be less drowsy than Dramamine. But, most importantly, didn't feel sick at all. I'll go back out in a couple of weeks and I'll try non-drowsy Dramamine to see what that's like (although I believe it has the same active ingredient as Bonine).

No other activity causes me motion sickness, so I just have to stay ahead of the game before I feel ill with cruising. Looks like prevention is key, rather than trying to treat after I feel sick. Thanks again for the chat and helpful advice!