Unexpected fear on Oasis

I just got off a great 7 night cruise on Oasis of the Seas but I wanted to share with everyone something I did not expect.

Y’all that boat is big!! Bigger than I thought it was going to be.

I have a fear of heights, always have. I have been on several cruises and never once worried about the height. The oasis is a whole different animal! I was shocked how terrified I was. It was like walk-in around the edge of the Grand Canyon. Something about looking over the rail to see ground and not water threw me for a loop. I spent a lot of time on the cruise freaking out.

It was still a great time and I learned how to work around it by the end but I just wanted to share with my others that may have a fear of heights as well.

I’ll be sticking to smaller ships from here on out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so glad you had a great cruise and sorry to hear the fear you had on her regarding heights. Oddly, I am petrified of heights myself, I would get a balcony cabin and lucky if I use it for 20 minutes during the entire cruise with of course holding onto the chair and door handle lol. I just don't go near the ledges, did you go near the ledges, like to know exactly where on the ship you felt the height issue, was it because your cabin was on a high deck and you were looking out?

I am glad we have choices as to the size of ships so you are able to continue to cruise and not have all that height fear, for me, I would cruise the smaller ships as they are very quaint but I sure am spoiled on the Oasis class, not sure whether I pay for a smaller ship but that is me. The good thing about the Oasis class for me is when your on the public deck 4,5 & 6 you don't get to see the ocean so being on the promenade deck where most of the "stuff" are located you don't get to see the sea and deal with the heights in addition, in Central Park you don't get to see the sea either so you do have places to go and not have to deal with the heights issue.

OP thank you for the review, I am sure there be others that are wondering the same thing that haven't been on this class of ship yet.

Anytime I could see the ocean I was fine but when I walked around the boardwalk it hit me big time! I am so thankful we switched from a boardwalk balcony to an ocean view last minute. I felt like at every turn there was a giant wall of glass looking down over a floor 17 stories below. It was nuts!

Anytime I could see the ocean I was fine but when I walked around the boardwalk it hit me big time! I am so thankful we switched from a boardwalk balcony to an ocean view last minute. I felt like at every turn there was a giant wall of glass looking down over a floor 17 stories below. It was nuts!

I guess there are different degrees of fear of heights. I used to have a very bad case of it. But cruises have helped me overcome the fear to some extent. Oasis isn’t alone in being big. Most larger 3000+ passenger cruise ships are at least 14 stories high. That’s big no matter what the ship. With the high railings and protective glass, I feel at easy going up and peering down. Every once in a while when we are in a port, I get bothered, but those are fewer and farther between. My experience is similar to yours when we are at sea I can sit or stand near any railing at the very top of the ship and gaze forever at the sea going by.

Glad you had a great cruise.

I know what you mean. I also have a fear of heights but normally anywhere on a ship doesn't bother me at all. On Oasis I was fine looking over the sides but it was the internal 'drops' that bothered me. The area at the back where the zip line goes across was the worst place for me, I couldn't stand anywhere near the glass panels at the edge, my knees went wobbly!. DH did the zip line and our son had to video it, I couldn't watch.

Julie

I just got off a great 7 night cruise on Oasis of the Seas but I wanted to share with everyone something I did not expect.

Y’all that boat is big!! Bigger than I thought it was going to be.

I have a fear of heights, always have. I have been on several cruises and never once worried about the height. The oasis is a whole different animal! I was shocked how terrified I was. It was like walk-in around the edge of the Grand Canyon. Something about looking over the rail to see ground and not water threw me for a loop. I spent a lot of time on the cruise freaking out.

It was still a great time and I learned how to work around it by the end but I just wanted to share with my others that may have a fear of heights as well.

I’ll be sticking to smaller ships from here on out!!

Interesting, I thought my fear of heights was bad, but all the high railings put me at ease. I can't do the zip line though.

I had the same issue! I could never get a balcony cabin either, we booked one once and I freaked out about it so much I canceled!

My mom isn't afraid of heights, but can't ever get a balcony room because of her paralyzing fear of the ocean. She won't look at the water a single time on a cruise. She loves the cruises, but never wants to see the water. It's incredibly odd. But people have all sorts of kooky fears.

My SO was fine on the balcony at sea, but not in ports - he felt more at ease with water below him than ground or structures. Seems to be a common response. Something to keep in mind on the Oasis class, based on others’ responses, a CP or BW balcony would not work for him.

And I thought I was the only one! For the most part I am a-ok if we are over the ocean I can use the balcony. But over land or internal drops it is quite nearly paralyzing. Couldn't go from room to room on the CP balconies. Looking for the kids at the pool I have to go INSIDE and around- I can't walk across. At one point my daughter just looked at me, told me to close my eyes and hold her hand because she was sick of taking the long way around! OK in the glass elevators though. And on the ships that have the inside glass walkway.... NO WAY!

My gosh- I haven’t even considered this! I am someone with a bit of an issue with heights.

(The bartender at the space needle was the kindest, most generous soul keeping my drink topped off while I leaned against the wall, trying to control my crying ). We have an inside balcony & it never occurred to me that this might set my nerves off. 25 days & counting, not much to do about it now!