Another Drink Package Question, sorry!

st5310

Yes, I have read just about all of the posts regarding drinks and drink packages. Most of them are helpful, but many offer conflicting information. If I may, I would like clarification on a couple issues. I have thought about calling O directly, but my experience with cruise line agents is that they can be as clueless as I am. Better and more accurate information comes from passengers who have experienced the ship first hand. I prefer primary source evidence!

In a couple weeks the DW and I will embark on our first O cruise (Insignia) and we are considering the Prestige Select Bev package. In the interest of having as much info as possible, perhaps I could trouble you to address one or more of the following:

1) After perusing other posts on this topic, I get the impression that (at the beginning of the cruise) one may bring spirits on board (i.e. vodka, scotch) as well as wine, not to exceed 3 bottles total. O's FAQ mentions wine only. Is that correct? Are spirits also permitted?

2) On other (non-inclusive) lines, even the highest level bev package has a maximum per-drink value, usually in the $12-$13 range (US) and that if a drink order exceeds that amount, the difference is charged. I assume that is the case on O as well. Do you know what that maximum is? Again, no reference to this in the FAQ that I could find.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, I have read just about all of the posts regarding drinks and drink packages. Most of them are helpful, but many offer conflicting information. If I may, I would like clarification on a couple issues. I have thought about calling O directly, but my experience with cruise line agents is that they can be as clueless as I am. Better and more accurate information comes from passengers who have experienced the ship first hand. I prefer primary source evidence!

In a couple weeks the DW and I will embark on our first O cruise (Insignia) and we are considering the Prestige Select Bev package. In the interest of having as much info as possible, perhaps I could trouble you to address one or more of the following:

1) After perusing other posts on this topic, I get the impression that (at the beginning of the cruise) one may bring spirits on board (i.e. vodka, scotch) as well as wine, not to exceed 3 bottles total. O's FAQ mentions wine only. Is that correct? Are spirits also permitted?

Yes spirits are allowed for use in your cabin

same as wine but if you take your bottle of wine to a dining venue you pay the corkage fee

You cannot pour a drink/wine & wander the ship with it

2) On other (non-inclusive) lines, even the highest level bev package has a maximum per-drink value, usually in the $12-$13 range (US) and that if a drink order exceeds that amount, the difference is charged. I assume that is the case on O as well. Do you know what that maximum is? Again, no reference to this in the FAQ that I could find.

Thank you in advance.

no maximum drink price or maximum number per day

there are some high end spirits not included in the package like XO or VS cognacs, scotches

just ask before your order

Thank you for the prompt replies, folks. Rob, appreciate the link.

There's a few highest end cognacs and single malt scotches that charge extra. However, most of the best available spirits (e.g., Hennessy Privilege Cognac or El Tesoro Anejo Tequila) are covered by the prestige package.

If you buy alcohol in Cuba can you open it in your cabin and bring the remaining alcohol back into the U.S. ?

yes you can drink it in your cabin

not sure on bringing open bottles into US ..probably ok if you declare it

jmo

I was wondering how to take the 3 allowable bottles onboard when embarking. Since the cabins aren’t ready until later, do you lug it around in carryons? I wouldn’t want to pack it into checked luggage because of the possibility of spillage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can also buy "bottle protectors" that will keep your wine/spirits safe in your suitcase. They sell them at Magellan's and Amazon, and probably elsewhere as well. I'm NOT talking about rum runners which can hold the liquid but not the bottle.

The ones that I got at Magellan's are very heavy duty and I've used them without any problems at all. They don't appear to be selling the one I have now -- the one they advertise is "inflatable". I have no idea how easy they are to inflate, however!

1. I have a padded case, designed for wine, that holds six bottles ( I gotten more into it, but it becomes a weight issue) which fits easily inside my suitcase. I have traveled the world with that case, hauling bottles not only to cruises, but also incredible, often impossible to get, wines back home again from their native lands.

2. Buy a case, or whatever you want, before embarkment. Have the store put it in a regular slieved cardboard box, made for wine. Give it to the porters at the ship, mark it fragile, put your cabin number on it, and let the porters know what they’re handling. I haven’t, to date, ever had a bottle broken or “disappear “.

3. Least popular on these boards, but very doable, don’t Board until about the time your cabin will be ready. Carry it on with you and straight to you cabin with your other carry on. I do this normally, whether carrying on locally procure wines or not.

I was wondering how to take the 3 allowable bottles onboard when embarking. Since the cabins aren’t ready until later, do you lug it around in carryons? I wouldn’t want to pack it into checked luggage because of the possibility of spillage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Despite what you may read in the "CYA" T&C, you can take as much spirits and/or wine aboard as you may want.

That said, we usually research good wine resources in embarkation ports and pack collapsible cardboard wine carriers (3, 4 or 6 packs you get from wineries) in our checked bags. We put our purchases in the carriers and bungee one to each of our small rollaboards (which carry our meds/electronics/valuables). The lightweight carriers can be reused in other ports to replenish our stock. At the end of the cruise, we discard them (plenty more at home).35d8e2b01085dd1990078f2193348f7f.jpg

I bought a bottle bag at the luggage store

worked fine just wrapped it in a sweater it survived

looks similar to this

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQp5bsBiu9c3UedtUF9YELPcmuZzzRfpGNVwroMT_G2mPSkeCeSMIC31aQY4fll-V5UAljRGdA&usqp=CAc

That works for a bottle or two brought from home in checked baggage. But, that's airline weight/space, which wouldn't work for half a case of wine. The collapsible boxes weigh less than a pound and lay flat.

I believe that the OP was asking about three bottles rather than six. I've carried three in bottle bags similar to the one shown in Lyn's post. But not MORE than three, no.

Agreed, if you have six or more bottles, what Pinot suggests would be better.

It is clear that one can bring up to 3 bottles of wine or champagne aboard at embarkation. Some of you, however, are also suggesting that hard liquor is also allowed onboard at embarkation. This is apparently not correct according to Cruise Critic's Oceania Alcohol Policy link (https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=38). The article states that beer and hard liquor will be confiscated, but returned to you at the end of the cruise. This is, of course, provided they know you're carrying such product and I suppose you could "get away with it" as long as they don't check.

It is clear that one can bring up to 3 bottles of wine or champagne aboard at embarkation. Some of you, however, are also suggesting that hard liquor is also allowed onboard at embarkation. This is apparently not correct according to Cruise Critic's Oceania Alcohol Policy link (https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=38). The article states that beer and hard liquor will be confiscated, but returned to you at the end of the cruise. This is, of course, provided they know you're carrying such product and I suppose you could "get away with it" as long as they don't check.

Cruise Critic is wrong in this case. Oceania does permit hard liquor as well as beer and wine to be brought aboard freely. They never confiscate anything.

It is a pleasure to sail on a line where adults are treated as adults and don't feel the need to "get away" with anything.

Step UP to Oceania :-)

In your first statement you said you were coming to the people on this board for the actual experience in bringing alcohol on board. Then you go back to CC statements on policy vs. what the Oceania cruisers have actually experienced. The Oceania cruisers are correct, not CC in the actual exercise of the Oceania alcohol policy.

It is possible that whoever wrote that CC article has never been on an Oceania ship.

In addition, there's the reality that some of the CC "expert" articles occasionally contain misinformation on all sorts of topics. If you do a CC search, you'll be hard pressed to find any post saying wine or spirits were denied (in any amount) at embarkation.

In your first statement you said you were coming to the people on this board for the actual experience in bringing alcohol on board. Then you go back to CC statements on policy vs. what the Oceania cruisers have actually experienced. The Oceania cruisers are correct, not CC in the actual exercise of the Oceania alcohol policy.
Do not dare to lecture me. I did, indeed, ask about personal experience, but when it conflicts with ship's policy I still wanted passenger feedback. I am aware that Cruise Critic doesn't always get it right.

It is possible that whoever wrote that CC article has never been on an Oceania ship.

In addition, there's the reality that some of the CC "expert" articles occasionally contain misinformation on all sorts of topics. If you do a CC search, you'll be hard pressed to find any post saying wine or spirits were denied (in any amount) at embarkation.

Thanks, Flatbush Flyer. This has been my experience as well as I perused the boards on this topic. I did, however, query Oceania directly, and am awaiting a response. Will share as soon as I receive one. In the meantime I do understand that policy may clash with experience in this case... meaning that I'd like to know the rules before I break them!