Oasis Class in Galveston?

There would not have been the due diligence in logistics and investment in time and money in an memorandum of understanding , if Royal did not want to be in Galveston.

This should mean meeting of the minds , hand shake is done , draft prepared and final is in process. .

Comparison RCL Class Ships to Galveston Port Channel -

Class / Overall Length Ft* / Draft Ft

Voyager / 1021 Ft / 29 Ft

Quantum / 1142 Ft / 29 Ft

Freedom / 1112 Ft / 29 Ft

Oasis / 1181 Ft / 31 Ft

Galveston Port Channel

“Narrowest” Width 1200 (not at turning basin) (channel is much wider)

Minimum Depth 45

* not at waterline and relative to turn around

Difference in length between Freedom Liberty and Oasis is 69 feet

Interesting! Thanks for the information

Sent from my SM-G892A using Forums mobile app

Cruise lines shuttles have excellent service now with airports.

Some others with airports:

Galveston Limo

Galveston Express

Uber

Lyft

Action Limo

Galveston Cruise Transfers

Super Shuttle

In town:

Cabs

Uber

Lyft

Hotels in house transfers

Galveston Island Trolleys

Enterprise Rent A Car open 7 days a week

Edited by ssb

From what I have read, one-way rentals (when allowed, this seems to come and go) have a very high dropoff rate.

True but some still need rental cars in their situations .

It is open on Sundays.

As you well know most cruisers drive into Galveston .

Memorandum of understanding with Royal Caribbean for Terminal # 3 Galveston and for Oasis Class Ship :

Port Director Rees is saying “the port has a memorandum of understanding with Royal Caribbean and is working toward a contract. Royal Caribbean would build the terminal, investing about $100 million in Galveston.

The Port of Galveston will lease the cruise line 10 acres of land. It will turn unused portions of Pier 10 into surface parking, and it will provide utilities to the pier.

Rees expects construction to begin by the end of this year, if the contract is finalized as expected.

That would free up the terminal where Royal Caribbean currently operates for new cruise lines."

Not confirmed by Royal. Sounds like somebody jumped the gun!!! You know what they say, "loose lips sink ships"

Not confirmed by Royal. Sounds like somebody jumped the gun!!! You know what they say, "loose lips sink ships"
This is transparent information not loose lips reported on many media sources by port officials in Galveston . Not street talk.

We will know soon enough when they release the 2020 schedule for if is going to happen they will have to get to building it very soon. But talks with Galveston and RCL have already taken place already.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

you make very good points Bob. We cruised out of Galveston in 2014. We were lucky to get a hotel room for a decent price but the worst thing was getting a taxi. We went to IHOP on Sunday morning by taxi which was fine but getting a taxi back to our hotel was pretty much impossible. If it was not for a kind hearted gentleman who sensed our panic we might have been stuck at the restaurant and not be able to get to our hotel to get the shuttle to the port. And that was to get Navigator.

By the way it is easier to get a Uber on Galveston island than it is a taxi

We will know soon enough when they release the 2020 schedule for if is going to happen they will have to get to building it very soon. But talks with Galveston and RCL have already taken place already.

Royal Caribbean is paying for the terminal , therefore RC should have more control over the construction process .

From what I have read, one-way rentals (when allowed, this seems to come and go) have a very high dropoff rate.

Unless you can get the teacher discount.

We just did a pair of one way minivan rentals from our home airport in South Texas and dropped off at enterprise on the Island for $55 each way.

Did the same thing last year. Agree they are hard to come by: I do over 200 rental days a year with National (Enterprises sister company) for work and could not touch the deal my wife got through her job.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Currently a larger (Oasis) size ship would not be able to make it since all ships turn around before they dock. The channel where the turning basin is is not wide enough for Oasis size to turn

Sent from my SM-G892A using Forums mobile app

My understanding is the new terminal will be closer to the Ocean, where Del Monte is now. The driver that took us from Enterprise to the ship may not count as a “reliable source” but he has lived on the island all of his life. The same guy told us years ago that Royal would be coming year round with an upgraded terminal, before it was common knowledge on these boards.

My understanding is the new terminal will be closer to the Ocean, where Del Monte is now. The driver that took us from Enterprise to the ship may not count as a “reliable source” but he has lived on the island all of his life. The same guy told us years ago that Royal would be coming year round with an upgraded terminal, before it was common knowledge on these boards.

New terminal #3 would be at Pier 11 . Del Monte Is at Pier 18 and operations have to relocated to Pelican Island . If all this happens future terminal #4 will be at Pier 18 . Pier 18 and 11 are to east of present terminals and closer to turning basin and to the Gulf .

New terminal #3 would be at Pier 11 . Del Monte Is at Pier 18 and operations have to relocated to Pelican Island . If all this happens future terminal #4 will be at Pier 18 . Pier 18 and 11 are to east of present terminals and closer to turning basin and to the Gulf .

Thanks for the clarification. We love the Oasis class and would love to see one come to Galveston soon. We also love Celebrity, that would be even better. Would also try MSC if they brought a Seaside class to the island.

Yes. We are renting in Houston and dropping off in Galveston. Our one-way drop-off fee is $150. Ouch !

You ought to compare the total price with what it would cost to park the car for a week at the port. You would then have the ability to choose companies other than Enterprise.

You ought to compare the total price with what it would cost to park the car for a week at the port. You would then have the ability to choose companies other than Enterprise.

Yes thanks Bob is correct here is some information.

There is a lot of Parking owned by Port of Galveston.

And a lot of parking owned by Private Operators as example :

Falstaff Parking

EZ

Lighthouse

Park and Cruise

Dolphin

Also Hotels have package deals on rooms, parking and transfers

• 2 weeks later...

Captain on Liberty yesterday during Captains Corner get together, said Liberty leaving Galveston May 3 2020 and plans are an Oasis Class ship coming into Galveston. Captain also said informally same another time during this weeks Liberty cruise .

Captain on Liberty yesterday during Captains Corner get together, said Liberty leaving Galveston May 3 2020 and plans are an Oasis Class ship coming into Galveston. Captain also said informally same another time during this weeks Liberty cruise .

That’s great news

We will se the lowest prices ever - since they already have to go so low to fill out of Galveston! (y)

Check out the prices they are quoting for Florida right now if you want a detail with three of them in place

• 2 weeks later...

This news, while very welcome, gives us a first world problem:

We just crossed the threshold for a free cruise with our BOA MasterCard and were planning to use it to do something besides sailing out of Galveston on the Liberty. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that, just done it three times).

So I was all geared up to pay for air to sail on Allure, but with an O class coming to Galveston soon that seems silly.

So then I was thinking we’d do an S class ship with X but redemption levels for X are much higher.

So now I don’t know what to do.

Sad to see the Liberty leave, but will be excited to see an Oasis class move in!