Lastest arrival flight on sail day you have done?

kelbell

Flying into FLL day of sailing, ship leaves at 5:30pm on a Saturday. What has been the latest time you touched down?

And still made your ship. One checked bag, 2 ppl.

6 PM the night before! IMO, arriving by plane the day you sail is not a good idea, regardless of where you are flying in from. Just look at what happened last month at the FLL airport (we had a similar incident three months ago at our home airport).

I understand that sometimes you HAVE to do this, but IMO it should be a last resort.

You wil find that some people fly in the day of the cruise and they make it to the ship.

But three is a lot of risk doing this and history means absolutely nothing if you arrive late and miss the ship.

My advice is do not do it.

You might ask what can go wrong. These are some things.

Flight cancelled for mechanical reasons

Flight cancelled due to insufficient crew

Flight cancelled due to weather

Flight delayed due to airport breach, or security breach on the plane

Flight delayed due to airline computer problems or FAA computer problems

Flight delayed due to weather

Flight delayed due to insufficient flight personnel

I could go on and on.

Don't do it. Even if you can't get the day off fly in the night before but try to get the day off.

Keith

Orlando to New Orleans on a Saturday morning. Departed at 930am, arrived N.O. at 1035am. Picked up luggage and was outside waiting for our shuttle which was late. Finally left the airport about 1130am, 1/2 hour drive to the city and another 1/2 hour to drop people off at their hotels, we finally got to the port at 1230pm. This was our first Carnival platinum cruise, and it was a breeze to check in. We were on board and having lunch at 1pm.After the delay getting to the port standing in a long line would have been a nightmare.

We have also flown into Miami from Orlando on a Saturday morning. Departed at 730am arrived at 830am. Checked in at the Carnival desk at MIA, and was on board having lunch at 1130am. This flight was a little easier to handle. If there was a delay we could just hop in the car and drive to Miami. We had no choice, cercumstances forced us to fly to N.O.

Flying into FLL day of sailing, ship leaves at 5:30pm on a Saturday. What has been the latest time you touched down?

And still made your ship. One checked bag, 2 ppl.

Seems if you are asking this, you are thinking of doing something risky. If the ship leaves at 5:30 you need to be there by 4.

Dh and I have never had a major flight problem in 20 years...I know VERY lucky. But last month we were hit with a big delay going (FLL shooting) and coming home (tornadoes in the south) . Had we not planned going in more than 24 hours in advance, we would have missed the ship. As it was, we ended up having to land in Ft Myers and drive to Miami. And going home, ended up in S. Carolina for a night. Getting home a day later.

So....think about weather, delays in any connecting or hub city, mechanical delays etc. Then think of cost for you to get to the first port of call after missing the ship.:eek:

I agree...any flight time NOT at least 24 hours in advance is a mistake.

I have on one occasion flown down the same day. My flight was direct and arrived at MCO at 10:00 AM. I wouldn't push it any later personally. Last January we had a mechanical delay and ended up being delayed 2 hours on the tarmac while they repaired it. Thank goodness we sailed the next day or we would have missed the ship.

On our last cruise we had a five hour delay....so thank god we left the day before! If it were the day of we would of missed the cruise. Our next one we're leaving at 8:45 pm and getting to FLL at 12:00 am just so we're there the day before. Its to stressful leaving the day of! :eek: