Martinique excursions? Very little information available on the Martinique Board

tbmrt

Our ports were very recently changed to Martinique and St. Thomas on Celebrity Reflection. The excursions are not listed yet on their website.

I researched the Martinique Boards, but not much there.

Contacted one known, reputable tour operator, but she was already full.

Would appreciate input regarding Martinique excursions. My understanding is that other cruiseships had already been changed to Martinique so may be familiar with what was offered to them.

Thank you.

Just a mild suggestion. When I see posts which ask about "excursions" my reaction is why would that be the first question. Instead, try researching "Martinique Tourism" which you can do on many decent travel sites such as Tripadvisor (a sister company of CC) or even the islands own tourist office. Instead of starting out focusing on excursions, focus on what is on that island that you find of interest. Then you can research how to get to those places...be it using your own feet, a taxi, rental car, local tour company or perhaps a cruise line excursion. While cruise line excursions can be the answer for some folks and goals, it is only one answer. As to Martinque, on our last visit we took a local ferry boat over to a beach...and also spent some time browsing, eating and shopping in town (do not forget to say "Bonjour" when you enter a shop. There are also various ecotours that can take you into jungle-like areas, to the mountain, etc.

Consider that there are over 20,000 posts on "What to do" on the Tripadvisor site. We can tell you that Martinique is different then some other islands that have been nearly ruined by too many cruise ships (i.e. St Thomas, St Maarten, etc) and has a French oriented culture (of which the islanders are very proud). Many of the tourists that vacation on this island are from Europe (especially France) and we have the impression that the locals prefer to keep it that way. We found some similarity to the French side of St Martin.....where we prefer to rent a condo when staying on that island. One complaint we have seen (numerous times over many years) is from fellow Americans who think that Martinique is not a very friendly island to Americans. We have found that to be not true...as long as one readily accepts the French culture, remembers to greet folks with a friendly "Bonjour" and also thank folks with a gentle "Merci." You do not need to speak French....but simply acknowledge this part of their culture. It will go a long way to befriending locals. When DD was 5, we took her to Martinique and told her to smile and say "Bonjour" whenever we encountered locals. DD thought this was very cool...and so did the locals who fell over themselves to give "treats" to the polite little girl.

Hank

I was going to respond but then I read Hank's response. He is absolutely correct. I would second his approach. I would add to his list going to Frommers.Com to do more reading about Matrinique and as Hanks says I find trip advisor to be an excellent source. I also look at a handful of other sites that have write ups. This is how we approach pretty much all ports that are new to us.

Keith

Surely don't disagree with other posters suggestions, but why don't you wait until the shore excursions available through the cruise line are made available?

One tour that I really enjoyed, in fact I did it twice: once during a 2005 Princess cruise and 2016 during a HAL cruise. Fort-de-France going North to St. Pierre and then inland through the rain forest, returning to Fort-de-France. Scenic, with a very good guide each time and comparing the differences that I saw between the two tours added to my enjoyment.

Along the waterfront near where the ship will dock, there ought to be many small tents with local craftsmen offering their wares. Very interesting just to window shop, if nothing else.

And, Martinique's pier is very pedestrian friendly: a padded walkway between the ship and shore!

One tour that I really enjoyed, in fact I did it twice: once during a 2005 Princess cruise and 2016 during a HAL cruise. Fort-de-France going North to St. Pierre and then inland through the rain forest, returning to Fort-de-France. Scenic, with a very good guide each time and comparing the differences that I saw between the two tours added to my enjoyment.

We did this tour as well and ours included a stop at a rhum producer on the slopes of the volcano that had destroyed St. Pierre. It was a long bus ride in both directions, first inland through the jungle and then back on the coastal road.

Another excursion did one leg by boat without the rhum distillery.

On a weekday, I would probably stay in Fort-de-France, buy Dark French chocolate and sit in a café. We have Euros from trips to Europe.