Experiences on NCL air vs. Norwegian Airlines

Tabatha1988

I presume you know Norwegian airlines has nothing to do with NCL just a co incidence have Norwegian in name

we have booked air through NCL before UK to Miami and happened to be British Airways

also included pre cruise hotel and transfers between airport/port

usually can get better deal booking own airfare/hotels but depends -check both

our upcoming transatlantic cruise we needed a one way flight London to Orlando and the main airlines such as British Airways were charging more than double fare for one way to return!

considered going through NCL air which was cheaper but then found Norwegian air where could book one way fare in premium for less

will be able to give feedback in just over a week!

We have flown on Norwegian Air JFK - CPH in premium and it was great for the price they offered. In less than 3 weeks we are flying premium (again) from EWR to FCO (Rome) and back (after the cruise).

Prices are too good, and we don't care if it's a no-frills airline - as long as the premium seats have plenty of leg room. Comfy - better than BA Econ Comfort (and of course cheaper).

Haven't tried the Economy though as we're not spring chickens.

For several reasons we no longer fly on BA long hauls.

The problem with Norwegian Air is that you don't know what you are going to get - as they'll sometimes switch planes and cause a boarding disaster without notice. I've booked premium (their version of first/business) and boarded, only to find they changed the plane and my seat is middle economy... no notice and found out as I walked on the plane. Talk about a surprise.... They are often very delayed as well. We have had too many issues with Norwegian but we still put up with it because they have direct flights to Copenhagen from FLL and it's cheap. When they are "smooth" - they are just fine and mostly use brand new 787 planes which are nice. If you don't mind paying a bit extra, their premium economy is usually 1/3 the cost of international business, it's not as good obviously but for the price it's great.

We're using Norwegian Air next month from JFK to Gatwick. You can save even more if you use their Norway website & pay in Krone. I did that & saved $50 pp. I just had to keep Google Translate open & did a lot of copy & pasting.

We flew last May from Gatwick to Boston on a new plane and the flight itself was wonderful! However, buyer beware!! Be very mindful of luggage restrictions and be aware that they will weigh even a purse that you are carrying on! We couldn't understand why everyone was opening their luggage at the checkin counter and holding up the line until we got there! Took so long we didn't have time to eat before our flight. And then you go through a second baggage check at the gate and they hold you there like cattle behind plexiglass walls! As long as you are aware of the above and don't mind, the price can't be beat!

We flew last May from Gatwick to Boston on a new plane and the flight itself was wonderful! However' date=' buyer beware!! Be very mindful of luggage restrictions and be aware that they will weigh even a purse that you are carrying on! We couldn't understand why everyone was opening their luggage at the checkin counter and holding up the line until we got there! Took so long we didn't have time to eat before our flight. And then you go through a second baggage check at the gate and they hold you there like cattle behind plexiglass walls! As long as you are aware of the above and don't mind, the price can't be beat![/quote']

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Booked Chicago to LHR and they put us on British Airways. I think they flew us home from MIA on American.

Once you get the flight numbers you can reserve your seats.....no problems using NCL Air

Since you mention British Airways I have to ask. Could you reserve seats on BA in advance? That's normally not possible without paying for it, unless you have high status in their Executive Club.

Since you mention British Airways I have to ask. Could you reserve seats on BA in advance? That's normally not possible without paying for it, unless you have high status in their Executive Club.

This cruise was back in 2013 probably before the airlines got all wonky and started charging for booking seats. I didn't realize BA was doing that now -- that's just wrong for a transatlantic flight!

We flew last May from Gatwick to Boston on a new plane and the flight itself was wonderful! However' date=' buyer beware!! Be very mindful of luggage restrictions and be aware that they will weigh even a purse that you are carrying on! We couldn't understand why everyone was opening their luggage at the checkin counter and holding up the line until we got there! Took so long we didn't have time to eat before our flight. And then you go through a second baggage check at the gate and they hold you there like cattle behind plexiglass walls! As long as you are aware of the above and don't mind, the price can't be beat![/quote']

It's 20 kg (or 44 lbs) per bag, unlike other airlines that take 50 lbs or 23 kg.

This cruise was back in 2013 probably before the airlines got all wonky and started charging for booking seats. I didn't realize BA was doing that now -- that's just wrong for a transatlantic flight!

I agree with you that it should be better if it was possible to book a seat for free but many with high Executive Club status like the perk that they can book a seat when other have to pay for it so I understand why they do it.

For people that used flights through NCL, how was it?

For people that have used Norwegian Airlines, how was it?

I stopped booking through the cruise lines years ago. It seemed that the last couple of times we used them; both NCL and Princess we did not get non stop flights and we do not care for the layovers. We are very satisfied booking them ourselves. Also, in case you were going to ask, I do not believe that the insurance through the cruise lines will cover air travel if you book it yourself. That does not effect us as we always get our own insurance because the insurance through the cruise lines are secondary insurance meaning that you have to file claims with your credit card company and homeowners insurance before they will pay.

I stopped booking through the cruise lines years ago. It seemed that the last couple of times we used them; both NCL and Princess we did not get non stop flights and we do not care for the layovers. We are very satisfied booking them ourselves. Also, in case you were going to ask, I do not believe that the insurance through the cruise lines will cover air travel if you book it yourself. That does not effect us as we always get our own insurance because the insurance through the cruise lines are secondary insurance meaning that you have to file claims with your credit card company and homeowners insurance before they will pay.

Honestly, I’m leaning more towards not booking with the cruise line, I want the option to book who I want to fly through