S Class Celebrity or Royal Suite

Want2Cruise 701

Our choices are a Slant Celebrity Suite with oversized balcony or a Royal Suite. Price difference isn't much surprisingly.

Never sailed in a Royal Suite. Would like to but the balcony keeps holding me back. While the CS is cramped we find, we DO like it when we can get the angled balcony. Yes, I do sleep out there and love to lounge with a drink or a book. It's also good when the weather isn't great for more covering.

We're almost Elite Plus so know all of the added bonuses of the Royal Suite and so on. For those that have sailed in an slant CS and a RS, what would you choose again and why? Is the added space and functionality worth it over balcony size?

Despite not having the bigger balcony we book the RS when we can. We like the amenities, layout, separate shower, whirlpool on the balcony and half bath.

Does the balcony feel crowded? We would request an extra lounge chair (pool type). Have you used the whirlpool on the balcony? DH thinks it would seem awkward. Thanks.

We requested an extra lounger once and the balcony was crowded with 2. The standard RS lounger is pretty big and it has a separate foot stool. The 2nd one was from the pool deck. We did use the whirlpool tub several times, once while in Alaska cruising the inner passage.

I've had experience in neither, but I want to follow along on this thread as we are booked in a CS on the slant and intend to use the balcony a lot, but I keep wondering if we should move up to a RS for the added 1/2 bath and dining table in the cabin (as well as the other added bonuses) so I'll be interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

You stated "S" class in the title of the thread. We've been in a slant CS three different times, last month we upgraded our slant balcony on Eclipse 1618 to a RS 1118. First, we love the CS, it is a great suite especially the ones on the slant....BUT the Royal was wonderful. The balcony was not as big (mostly because of the jacuzzi tub) but still quite large. The thing that I found far better was that we actually got sun, a lot of sun on this TA, something we never got on the CS balcony. The views were also so much better as you can see forward, backwards and out...something you can't do with a slant CS(unless you hang over the edge..lol) We used the jacuzzi tub once on a 15 night cruise..it's an interesting novelty but something we could easily do without and had no bearing on choosing the suite.

We were lucky to get a great deal on the RS, if you price really isn't much different I'd opt for the RS everytime. But just so you understand how much more we liked the location of the balcony, our next cruise is in a CS, but we opted not to get the one on the slant even though it was available and went with one out on the front of the hump!!!

Whatever you choose you'll love it!

You don’t say which ship. On an M class ship, I would definitely take the royal suite. You don’t have to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom and the RS has a separate shower.
Sorry, since the OP asked about S Class ships and referenced being on the "slant" (end of the hump) I assumed I could leave out the fact I was also speaking of an S class. Looking forward to hear what people have to say regarding the OP's original question.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

We just did the EXACT same thing Gracie115 did - same shopping and maybe even same cabins. We’d done a RS last year on Refelction and loved it. We liked the extra half bath, the walk-in shower, the Jacuzzi tub, ease of free sodas in mini bar and unlimited dining. Also like space and layout of the cabin.

Original couldn’t get a RS on this cruise and so booked a CS. When a RS opened up, we grabbed it (and prob paid more than we should have). Folks raving about CSL have had us second guessing our decision so I too am curious to follow this thread.

Have done both rooms...love the RS and despite having secured a CS with a big balcony we didn’t enjoy the layout of the CS....Hated the enclosed bedroom and lack of dining space. We would not book again although we are aware many love this room.....Room preference is subjective...

Add in the additional benefits of the RS and it would be our choice every time.

We've stayed in S Class CSs both on the slant and not. We've not stayed in an S Class RS yet (got one booked for September) but we have in the M Class RSs.

Our last cruise was on Eclipse in an ordinary CS and we found the balcony tight with an extra lounger and asked for it to be removed.

While I can't say form first hand knowledge if the balcony will feel cramped or not what I can say is an RS is more than just a bigger room and a few perks. There is a level of service that comes with the upper suites that while hard to quantify is most definitely worth paying a bit more.

Edited by groryjm

I much prefer the RS. We travel with two 17ys olds and the 1/2 bath is key. While the balcony is not as large as CS we still find it adequate. I also love the extras that come with RS, i.e, the unlimited specialty dining and the bar set up.

what I can say is an RS is more than just a bigger room and a few perks. There is a level of service that comes with the upper suites that while hard to quantify is most definitely worth paying a bit more.

You're right...the level of service in the RS was several notches up from the CS. We were perfectly happy in the CS for three TA's but the RS this year was such a bonus. We loved the suite, but the service was amazing, one of the best cruises we've ever had.

I will say for the OP that the balcony of the CS on the slant like 1618 on Eclipse/Silhouette/Equinox/Solstice is MORE than large enough to support two lounges, and in fact we had them all 3 times, never asked for them they were just there as part of the room. I don't think they would be a good addition on a standard CS balcony.

I think we'll try the Royal Suite. We never have. We'll try something different this time. In a few weeks, we have 1233 on the Equinox. Maybe I can get my butler to give me a sneak at the Royal Suite. We were planning on booking it onboard the Equinox.

I think we'll try the Royal Suite. We never have. We'll try something different this time. In a few weeks, we have 1233 on the Equinox. Maybe I can get my butler to give me a sneak at the Royal Suite. We were planning on booking it onboard the Equinox.

If you don’t meet anyone in Michael’s in a RS willing to show you their room ask your butler who will last morning of cruise show you a RS after a guest has left, he obviously will not do it during the cruise. We asked our butler on the Millie when we were in the PH if we could see a RS and a CS before getting off to see if they would suit us for another cruise....

We do find the S class RS a really nice room, hope you really enjoy.

We’ve sailed in a CS with a slanted veranda and an RS. Although the slanted veranda is nice... depending on the cruise, weather, etc, I’d choose the RS every time. I love the larger 2-sink, walk-in shower bathroom, and my wife likes the second half bath since it’s assigned to me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We liked everything about the Royal Suite except the balcony. It is very cramped with the bathtub taking up too much room. We also had a lot of sun so the temp on the balcony was 90 degrees plus on a transatlantic. We used the balcony when we had some shade and that wasn’t often.

We liked everything about the Royal Suite except the balcony. It is very cramped with the bathtub taking up too much room. We also had a lot of sun so the temp on the balcony was 90 degrees plus on a transatlantic. We used the balcony when we had some shade and that wasn’t often.

We LOVED the sun on our balcony on our transatlantic last month. What ship were you on? Temps never got close to 90 for us.

Agree the jacuzzi takes up too much room!

Now you all have me worried about the sun on the balcony. It will be a Caribbean route so hot.

We’ve only done deck 12 S1 and S2 and the forward slant CS so we are used to a shaded balcony and we can pretty much be out there anytime. Now I don’t know. Decisions.

Now you all have me worried about the sun on the balcony. It will be a Caribbean route so hot.

We’ve only done deck 12 S1 and S2 and the forward slant CS so we are used to a shaded balcony and we can pretty much be out there anytime. Now I don’t know. Decisions.

I didn't realize it was a Caribbean cruise.....is it during the summer? If so I might well opt for the CS on the slant....I live in Florida...I know how hot it can get...

I didn't realize it was a Caribbean cruise.....is it during the summer? If so I might well opt for the CS on the slant....I live in Florida...I know how hot it can get...

It's a December Southern Caribbean itinerary. If we get too hot, maybe we can make the tub a mini pool ;p

We've done Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean cruises in a RS and it did get hot on the balcony because of the sun. There were times we just stayed in the suite, even for breakfast. The pluses out weight the sun IMO.

It's a December Southern Caribbean itinerary. If we get too hot, maybe we can make the tub a mini pool ;p

We have always found early morning sun on the balcony in the Southern Caribbean pleasant rather than overpowering. We have cruised in a RS in the Southern Caribbean on three occasions.

In our experience most of the time in port you will either have the sun in the morning or the afternoon but not both. Equally if you have sun on the balcony on the outward sea days you will not have it on the return ones....Knowing you will not have sun all the time makes you appreciate having it some of the time!

Afternoons on the balcony when we have full sun we will be sensible and not stay out too long but will enjoy a dip in the jacuzzi and a beer from our bar set up before either retreating into the wonderful inside RS space or heading to the Solarium to find a nice shady bed.

Our favourite balcony time is late at night....We will pour a cognac from our bar set up, get out the late night snack from the fridge our butler has left us and gaze at the stars....