Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

Some children with significant disabilities are tethered to a service dog to minimize elopement. Who is 'leashed to who" doesn't really matter, safety is what matters and this absolutely can keep a child safe.

[emoji56]”elopement”... was the word I can never come up with when I need it. Truer words were never spoken ❤️ Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have read every single post on here. I have not cruised with Carnival but if its anything like the others there are chairs next to the railings looking down at the atrium. I enjoy sitting on those chairs watching the entertainment down below. This was a tragic tragic accident. It is obvious that this sweet little girl was probably standing on a chair looking down at her relative below and lost her balance. I am 5 ft. and no way I could lean over and fall off. The guilt that this mother will have to live with, no money will ever ease that pain. Some people always want to put the blame on something or someone else, instead of being truthful about the horrible situation. My heart goes out to all involved. This little girl has no idea, but her mother will ALWAYS live with this. I really don't think the cruise line is in any way at fault for this. It was a horrible tragic accident. (Also disembarking the cruise ships are usually very well organized in groups. I have not ever experienced pushing and shoving and If I did have a child with me I would most certainly be holding their hand afraid I would lose them) It seems that they were sitting around waiting their turn to disembark.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article179242701.html

Could be Ms Lyons is looking for her 15 minutes of fame.

Certainly that Michael Winkerman fella was.

Did anyone else notice that he wasn't even quoted as the family's attorney or as an involved party...he's just some lawyer who was oh-so-happy to supply some information about his firm? I wonder how much he paid the Herald for that free advertising?

I have read every single post on here. I have not cruised with Carnival but if its anything like the others there are chairs next to the railings looking down at the atrium. I enjoy sitting on those chairs watching the entertainment down below. This was a tragic tragic accident. It is obvious that this sweet little girl was probably standing on a chair looking down at her relative below and lost her balance. I am 5 ft. and no way I could lean over and fall off. The guilt that this mother will have to live with, no money will ever ease that pain. Some people always want to put the blame on something or someone else, instead of being truthful about the horrible situation. My heart goes out to all involved. This little girl has no idea, but her mother will ALWAYS live with this. I really don't think the cruise line is in any way at fault for this. It was a horrible tragic accident. (Also disembarking the cruise ships are usually very well organized in groups. I have not ever experienced pushing and shoving and If I did have a child with me I would most certainly be holding their hand afraid I would lose them) It seems that they were sitting around waiting their turn to disembark.

Agreed, In all the cruises I've ever been on, I've never seen people pushing and shoving to get off. Carnival also calls groups, or zones off in spaced times. This is a horrible tragedy, but I can see no way this child would have been bumped or shoved off from crowds. It is more likely she climbed up possibly from luggage, or chair and lost her balance and fell over. Prayers for this family, and no judgement as I believe we have all taken our eyes off our children and missed potentially dangerous situations, my heart goes out to this family!

A few cruises back we were docked "somewhere" and there was a ship next to us. On a balcony cabin on the other ship there were 2 little kids playing, climbing on the chairs and looking over the railing. It was really scary to watch and DH and I were going to call the desk to inform the other ship and try to figure out the cabin.

Then, the curtain or door opened...and we clearly saw an adult (assume it was mom) woman in the cabin. She was aware of what the kids were doing and did nothing to stop them.

People think it will never happen to them. But it does.

A few cruises back we were docked "somewhere" and there was a ship next to us. On a balcony cabin on the other ship there were 2 little kids playing, climbing on the chairs and looking over the railing. It was really scary to watch and DH and I were going to call the desk to inform the other ship and try to figure out the cabin.

Then, the curtain or door opened...and we clearly saw an adult (assume it was mom) woman in the cabin. She was aware of what the kids were doing and did nothing to stop them.

People think it will never happen to them. But it does.

It certainly does. On one sailing on the Valor, we were using the computers when they were located at the side of Winstons. We left there through a little used door to the port side and were making our way fwd. Ahead of us we saw 2 young ladies ( maybe 12-14yo) taking turns sitting on the deck railing while the other took photos. We were the only people anywhere nearby as it is a very quiet spot on the ship. We ran to them and told them they needed to get down because they could slip and wind up overboard. We were urgent but kind.They both spoke another language ( I can't remember which, this was a few years back) but we were able to communicate the danger to them. They seemed VERY surprised and had clearly not thought this out. If one had fallen over, the other would have likely panicked and I can tell you it would have been several minutes before she found a staff member to report it to. My children are old enough to now better, but I still remind them of the safety rules often - any time we sail and I don't trust them alone until they are capable and to be trusted with thier own safety on a ship. Bad things still happen even when people are careful, so I pray that if someone saw my children making a foolish choice, that they would be bold and kindly speak up.

Prayers for this family and everyone who was affected by this tragedy.

Copy the full sentence. IF that 8 yr. old girl had a harness/leash on her, she would still be alive.

Will you ever give up? No way would an 8 year old fit one of those leashes, wear one and I know you mean well, but Goodness, it isn't for everyone.

PS Lawyers can't call the family after an accident it's a violation of the Florida Bar Rules regarding solicitation.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

I wish that was the law in Minnesota. I knew someone who was the partner (aka not married) of this man who was killed in an accident. It happened on an interstate and was very public. Lots of photos, etc. Very sudden random error by a trucking company.

Anyways, her phone started ringing like crazy. Lawyers would not leave her alone. Even worse, his family, who he was estranged from, showed up to seize property from their shared home and stake their claim to the proceeds of a payout.

Stuff in the mailbox would have been kinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently you did not read all of the posts. I posted a page or two back that there are NO chairs and tables in the area from which she fell. The only area on deck 5 where there are tables and chairs is in front of the sports bar, the other side and in rear of atrium. No tables or chairs anywhere else on that deck by the atrium. EM

Certainly that Michael Winkerman fella was.

Did anyone else notice that he wasn't even quoted as the family's attorney or as an involved party...he's just some lawyer who was oh-so-happy to supply some information about his firm? I wonder how much he paid the Herald for that free advertising?

Was that s news story or one if his commercials. Hard to tell.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We used a leash attached to a lion backpack with our son when he first started cruising. We didn't need it after the first two cruises. He was 3.5 yo by that time. But, he's a naturally cautious person.

We were getting off our cruise on Sunday when we heard the news. I really can't imagine what this family is going through. I saw a picture of the little girl on the news. She's the same age as our son. It's very sad. :(

Very sorry for the family, heartbreaking story. Cruising with my soon to be 5 year old in a month, and DH and I were discussing to "leash" or not. We have been to Disney 3 times without 1 but after reading this story considering it as my child is extremely active and like a child doesn't always listen. I am also curious as to the HOW did this happen. Prayers to the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

By *grapau27*

"I think it is a worry for us all that this happened and the awareness of this accident might prevent it happening again."

Oh yes, I agree completely! Awareness and hopefully Preventive Measures are key. I'm certain those can be accomplished without all the infighting tho. Idk I'm probably wrong, but I guess I'd just hoped it could be done... We're going on Sunshine's Halloween Cruise this year. Never done one before. Also taking Our 7yo son(seasoned cruiser) AND Our 9yo grandson (1st time cruiser). We ALWAYS stress safety to our son, this time unfortunately, we've had an example to go along with our talks to Both boys. I do believe it's a valuable lesson for them, however horrible it is that it even occured in the first place. I do hope others cruising with children will also find a way to incorporate this into their talks also... I also hope that I'll NOT be overbearing and hovering to them, to the point of making their Cruise "No Fun". This tragic accident has indeed scared me beyond belief. My Hubs and I have always been of the Safety 1st mindset. This time it just feels very different in how I feel about things, not in a good way whatsoever... It truly takes but a second for one's lives to be changed forever.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

By *grapau27*

"I think it is a worry for us all that this happened and the awareness of this accident might prevent it happening again."

Oh yes, I agree completely! Awareness and hopefully Preventive Measures are key. I'm certain those can be accomplished without all the infighting tho. Idk I'm probably wrong, but I guess I'd just hoped it could be done... We're going on Sunshine's Halloween Cruise this year. Never done one before. Also taking Our 7yo son(seasoned cruiser) AND Our 9yo grandson (1st time cruiser). We ALWAYS stress safety to our son, this time unfortunately, we've had an example to go along with our talks to Both boys. I do believe it's a valuable lesson for them, however horrible it is that it even occured in the first place. I do hope others cruising with children will also find a way to incorporate this into their talks also... I also hope that I'll NOT be overbearing and hovering to them, to the point of making their Cruise "No Fun". This tragic accident has indeed scared me beyond belief. My Hubs and I have always been of the Safety 1st mindset. This time it just feels very different in how I feel about things, not in a good way whatsoever... It truly takes but a second for one's lives to be changed forever.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

You are perfectly right and hopefully the message gets through to your and everyone elses children as well as the parents.

I hope you and your family have a fantastic cruise.

Graham.

Pulling a news article or closing down a thread doesn't make the incident go away. Finding out what happened could raise awareness and prevent other families from experiencing the same tragedy.

Roz

Apparently you did not read all of the posts. I posted a page or two back that there are NO chairs and tables in the area from which she fell. The only area on deck 5 where there are tables and chairs is in front of the sports bar, the other side and in rear of atrium. No tables or chairs anywhere else on that deck by the atrium. EM

Oh Ok. My bad.

From someone who is very familiar with what actually happened, she fell from the 6th floor. She was leaning up and over the railing like you aren’t supposed to. It was not a matter of someone being bumped, pushed, or faulty equipment. There are other details, but since I don’t want to get the person who told me in trouble I’ll leave it at that.