Butler Service Question

Beh789149

We travel exclusively in suites/haven and have never asked the butler to unpack for us. Like everyone else has said I want to know where my stuff is. As for the 2 deck of cards, they will take up very little room and I would just pack them if that is something you know you will want.

Once there were 4 of us staying in the GV and we asked for dominoes and our butler brought each of us a set so we could all play. One of our funnier memories. But now if we think we may be wanting to play dominoes we pack them. Again, they don't take up much room so why not.

Your butler will do everything they can to make your trip better but do remember that you are not the only room they serve. And often their rooms are spaced out on different floors. We have always had great ones and we do everything we can to make THEIR days better.

Have a great trip. We leave next Sunday on a 9 day and can't wait.

Edited by toyotaford
didn't mean to quote previous post

Your butler will do everything they can to make your trip better but do remember that you are not the only room they serve. And often their rooms are spaced out on different floors.

I have to echo this, as you might not get things the minute you want them, because there will always be another passengers who requests things as well.

Someone reported on a post some time ago, that the unpacking was late on embarkation day (they had to be there when it was done), because the Butler was addressing other things, since many have quite a few requests on embarkation day.

I have to echo this, as you might not get things the minute you want them, because there will always be another passengers who requests things as well.

Someone reported on a post some time ago, that the unpacking was late on embarkation day (they had to be there when it was done), because the Butler was addressing other things, since many have quite a few requests on embarkation day.

Yeah, unpacking sounds kinds cool... but I have never asked. Embarkation day is crazy. But it is listed as a perk and if someone wants it they definitely are entitled to it but they would need to know it might take a little time and they would have to stick around to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have this same SC suite on an upcoming sailing of the Gem. Does anyone know if there is anyway to prepare tea in the suite or will we need to request that the butler bring pots of hot water? DH likes to drink green tea with honey in the evening. I know there is a coffee maker of some sort but it seems to use some sort of pod. Not sure if this can be used to make tea.

No way would I ask him to unpack that’s just plain lazy to me

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are lots of perks that might make someone appear lazy. In fact, some people might only do stairs and look down on "elevator people" as lazy, especially when only going one floor. I can walk miles on firm surfaces and I do an hour on a recumbant bike several times a week, but stairs? Ouch. My bum knees cringe at the thought.

I have cruised several times in suites with my mom. We lost her last month. I would give anything for one more cruise with that wonderful woman. Her hands, once so able, had been arthritic for a few years. Yeah, we could have asked the butler, but instead I helped her.

But that woman was lazy zero days of her life. But feel free to judge behind that anonymous keyboard of yours with a post that helped no one.

There are lots of perks that might make someone appear lazy. In fact, some people might only do stairs and look down on "elevator people" as lazy, especially when only going one floor. I can walk miles on firm surfaces and I do an hour on a recumbant bike several times a week, but stairs? Ouch. My bum knees cringe at the thought.

I have cruised several times in suites with my mom. We lost her last month. I would give anything for one more cruise with that wonderful woman. Her hands, once so able, had been arthritic for a few years. Yeah, we could have asked the butler, but instead I helped her.

But that woman was lazy zero days of her life. But feel free to judge behind that anonymous keyboard of yours with a post that helped no one.

So you think the OP is physically unable to unpack?

We have this same SC suite on an upcoming sailing of the Gem. Does anyone know if there is anyway to prepare tea in the suite or will we need to request that the butler bring pots of hot water? DH likes to drink green tea with honey in the evening. I know there is a coffee maker of some sort but it seems to use some sort of pod. Not sure if this can be used to make tea.
The pre-Concierge has asked me what kind of coffee and tea I want, so even though I don't use either, I thought that they supplied tea pods for the coffee maker. I know Keurig has tea pods.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

The pre-Concierge has asked me what kind of coffee and tea I want, so even though I don't use either, I thought that they supplied tea pods for the coffee maker. I know Keurig has tea pods.

Thanks! We have a Keurig at home and we do use it with the tea pods. Wasn't sure if the machine in the cabin worked the same way. While we will definitely be using the butler to bring breakfast (DH prefers to eat breakfast while getting ready in the morning) but I would prefer to not have to bother the butler everytime DH wants a cup of tea which can be several times during the day and up to 4 cups in the evening.

We have sailed in both Suites and non-suites. most recently, September in Suite. We do not usually see our Butler until the next day. Embarkation is the most stressful day for the crew. Room steward may pop in to say Hi and ask if everything is OK.

We have never requested Unpacking by Butler. I chuckle when I see those pictures on NCL site along with butler serving you champagne. Do not count on this happening. You will find bottle of champagne in ice when you get to your suite. Easy to do yourself. (Glassware provided)

As mentioned, pre-concierge may take requests for your cabin. Our experience is that these items are never done (like having fridge emptied). We just talk to steward directly for these items, including extra pillows etc.

Suites should now have the Nespresso coffee machines. Some may still have the Lavazza machines. These can produce hot water into cup and individual teas are supplied. there will be glassware provided in Suites. Assorted wine glasses and coffee and espresso cups.

Your butler is the one to supply these and they can give tutorial on use of machine. Also, let them know what you will use more of during your cruise.

One our last cruise, my husband mentioned to Butler he likes lemonade in the afternoon with club sandwiches during a chat. She arrived each afternoon with this without our even asking.

We have had great butlers and some that were MIA. Go to Concierge if you have an issue with Butler. They are in charge of Butlers.

We sail February on the Jewel, in a Suite, for 40 Days . Australia, Indonesia then Asia. This will be one time we will really have time to enjoy a Suite 😊.

For the record, we are quite capable of doing it ourselves. We are foster parents (currently raising four) and spend an insane amount of our time taking care of others. I’m looking forward to someone taking care of me for 9 nights. Far from lazy as some idiot described in another post.

Do you?

And it does not matter.

It is on the list of perks. To call someone, anyone, lazy for availing themselves of a perk that they are entitled to is inappropriate.

I Believe NCL suites now use Nespresso. My niece was able to make hot water and there was nice tea provided in the suite.

We have sailed in both Suites and non-suites. most recently, September in Suite. We do not usually see our Butler until the next day. Embarkation is the most stressful day for the crew. Room steward may pop in to say Hi and ask if everything is OK.

We have never requested Unpacking by Butler. I chuckle when I see those pictures on NCL site along with butler serving you champagne. Do not count on this happening. You will find bottle of champagne in ice when you get to your suite. Easy to do yourself. (Glassware provided)

As mentioned, pre-concierge may take requests for your cabin. Our experience is that these items are never done (like having fridge emptied). We just talk to steward directly for these items, including extra pillows etc.

Suites should now have the Nespresso coffee machines. Some may still have the Lavazza machines. These can produce hot water into cup and individual teas are supplied. there will be glassware provided in Suites. Assorted wine glasses and coffee and espresso cups.

Your butler is the one to supply these and they can give tutorial on use of machine. Also, let them know what you will use more of during your cruise.

One our last cruise, my husband mentioned to Butler he likes lemonade in the afternoon with club sandwiches during a chat. She arrived each afternoon with this without our even asking.

We have had great butlers and some that were MIA. Go to Concierge if you have an issue with Butler. They are in charge of Butlers.

We sail February on the Jewel, in a Suite, for 40 Days . Australia, Indonesia then Asia. This will be one time we will really have time to enjoy a Suite [emoji4].

Your upcoming cruise sounds incredible!!! Have a great trip!!!

RE: Tea making

The STAR DAWN and the SUN the coffee (pod) maker can brew tea (emphasis on pod) and is no where near

the satisfaction level of brewing tea at a heat level just fluctuating at tepid.

Even the tea at the Buffet is a degree or two past tepid to hot.

Have your Butler bring a pot of boiling water and tea bags to make tea that will be acceptable !

RE: Coffee making

Those pod machines are nothing more than a novelty gone crazy - insufficient heat to brew coffee (or tea)

to a level that is acceptable and the serving size in those demitasse cups is ridiculous - those small cups

are more suitable for dispensing shot glasses of booze.

Oh it is all complimentary - but I am going to run my Butler ragged*** substituting for that goofy machine getting

tea and coffee at a suitable temperature for drinking. Heck the hot water in the bathroom is warmer than that

machine !

*** NO I don't run the Butler ragged but just an expression of how less impressed I am about in cabin coffee/tea !

RE: Tea making

The STAR DAWN and the SUN the coffee (pod) maker can brew tea (emphasis on pod) and is no where near

the satisfaction level of brewing tea at a heat level just fluctuating at tepid.

Even the tea at the Buffet is a degree or two past tepid to hot.

Have your Butler bring a pot of boiling water and tea bags to make tea that will be acceptable !

RE: Coffee making

Those pod machines are nothing more than a novelty gone crazy - insufficient heat to brew coffee (or tea)

to a level that is acceptable and the serving size in those demitasse cups is ridiculous - those small cups

are more suitable for dispensing shot glasses of booze.

Oh it is all complimentary - but I am going to run my Butler ragged*** substituting for that goofy machine getting

tea and coffee at a suitable temperature for drinking. Heck the hot water in the bathroom is warmer than that

machine !

*** NO I don't run the Butler ragged but just an expression of how less impressed I am about in cabin coffee/tea !

That's not good. :( I guess I will just have to ask the butler bring a pot of hot water and if DH wants more than that, have him go get himself a cup of hot water from the buffet.

I was given teavana tea bags and just used the coffee maker for hot water. Your butler will explain how the coffee maker works, and will also keep it filled with water and empty the used coffee pods.

I was given teavana tea bags and just used the coffee maker for hot water. Your butler will explain how the coffee maker works, and will also keep it filled with water and empty the used coffee pods.

This is true the Butler will fill the machine and empty the pods - BUT - my experience is that the machine is only

functional for making ICE TEA or ICE COFFEE - the hot water in the bath is hotter than the machine produces.

You could go to the Buffet and get coffee and bring it back to your stateroom and it would be hotter than what

the machine produces. Maybe just that I got a malfunctioning machine - but I have had this type of machine on

three previous cruises and the results (reviews) have been the same. Next time I will ask the question if the

machine is wired for 220V and is plugged into 120V operating at half power. I don't want my coffee or tea to

be at McDonalds 180 degree scalding temps but I do expect the machine to melt ice on contact and not produce

tea or coffee flavored ice water.

SOLUTION: Have the Butler bring a pot of "HOT" water to make your tea and/or a pot of Galley brewed coffee.

The Lavazza machines were not any better - be gone - good riddance.

Another solution would be to install mini-microwave ovens in the suites to bring a beverage up to a satisfactory

temperature for the enjoyment of who ever is the guest in that cabin.

For the record, we are quite capable of doing it ourselves. We are foster parents (currently raising four) and spend an insane amount of our time taking care of others. I’m looking forward to someone taking care of me for 9 nights. Far from lazy as some idiot described in another post.

You are going to have a fabulous cruise - providing you ignore many of the "suggestions" in this thread! ;)

I cruise at least 6 times a year - 80% of the time in suites/Haven on NCL. I ALWAYS have the butler help me with unpacking - specifically with hanging up my clothes. First, I am mobility-impaired although I can stand on my own - but only for (literally) a minute or two max. When I've unpacked on my own, it takes me forever! Also there never seem to be enough hangers, so when the butler is helping they can just easily grab a few more. There are always a few things I need pressed, so while we are unpacking, the butler puts those items together for the laundry. Every butler who has ever assisted me has done so with such a positive and gracious attitude and I am very appreciative for the help! Folks who have posted concerns about not knowing where their things are have obviously never had any help unpacking. It's sort of a "team" effort - the butler won't put anything anywhere until he/she asks you where you want things. If you don't want anyone touching your "unmentionables", put those away yourself LOL So, I say - go for it! It's your vacation and you deserve special treatment (and you paid for it ;))

Also, it never fails to amaze me how many folks feel the need to remind other people to "tip appropriately." Again, I've been in quite a few suites and I tip (what I think) is well - however, nowhere's near what some folks on these boards suggest - or claim they tip. But my tip level must be satisfactory, because I have posted before about at least one NCL butler who saw me on a later cruise (where I was NOT in a suite) and "offered" to BE MY BUTLER for that cruise LOL Well, guess what? I was just on the Breakaway on 10/15 (not in a suite!) and saw another one of my previous Haven butlers in the elevator on embarkation day. He got off the elevator on my floor (not his floor!) and gave me his card to CALL HIM if I need ANYTHING. So, I guess my tips are adequate LOL

You were correct when you said the butler will do whatever is within their power to make sure you have a fabulous experience. Your list looks great to me - and if you discover other things you'd like, just let your butler know. (And you don't have to grease their palm, or worry about how many other cabins they have, etc. etc.) NCL has made sure there is adequate staff for everyone.

Have a fantastic trip! :D

You are going to have a fabulous cruise - providing you ignore many of the "suggestions" in this thread! ;)

I cruise at least 6 times a year - 80% of the time in suites/Haven on NCL. I ALWAYS have the butler help me with unpacking - specifically with hanging up my clothes. First, I am mobility-impaired although I can stand on my own - but only for (literally) a minute or two max. When I've unpacked on my own, it takes me forever! Also there never seem to be enough hangers, so when the butler is helping they can just easily grab a few more. There are always a few things I need pressed, so while we are unpacking, the butler puts those items together for the laundry. Every butler who has ever assisted me has done so with such a positive and gracious attitude and I am very appreciative for the help! Folks who have posted concerns about not knowing where their things are have obviously never had any help unpacking. It's sort of a "team" effort - the butler won't put anything anywhere until he/she asks you where you want things. If you don't want anyone touching your "unmentionables", put those away yourself LOL So, I say - go for it! It's your vacation and you deserve special treatment (and you paid for it ;))

Also, it never fails to amaze me how many folks feel the need to remind other people to "tip appropriately." Again, I've been in quite a few suites and I tip (what I think) is well - however, nowhere's near what some folks on these boards suggest - or claim they tip. But my tip level must be satisfactory, because I have posted before about at least one NCL butler who saw me on a later cruise (where I was NOT in a suite) and "offered" to BE MY BUTLER for that cruise LOL Well, guess what? I was just on the Breakaway on 10/15 (not in a suite!) and saw another one of my previous Haven butlers in the elevator on embarkation day. He got off the elevator on my floor (not his floor!) and gave me his card to CALL HIM if I need ANYTHING. So, I guess my tips are adequate LOL

You were correct when you said the butler will do whatever is within their power to make sure you have a fabulous experience. Your list looks great to me - and if you discover other things you'd like, just let your butler know. (And you don't have to grease their palm, or worry about how many other cabins they have, etc. etc.) NCL has made sure there is adequate staff for everyone.

So now I'm curious, what do you tip? We think we tip well, but I'd love to know what you tip based on what you said here.

I suspect that the main reason your previous butlers rushed to offer their services to you are because you are a kind and gracious person who expressed gratitude with sincerity, I am guessing, verbally as well as monitarily.

I suspect that the main reason your previous butlers rushed to offer their services to you are because you are a kind and gracious person who expressed gratitude with sincerity, I am guessing, verbally as well as monitarily.

My thoughts exactly!!

I Believe NCL suites now use Nespresso. My niece was able to make hot water and there was nice tea provided in the suite.

Just got off the Jewel and they still have the lavazza machines which I like. I'm guessing they will replace them with the Nespresso during drydock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app